Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Position Depth: Razorback Safeties

Started by WalHog2018, September 22, 2017, 10:27:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WalHog2018

I'm interested in the future of our Safety positions.  With Liddell and Coley graduating next year, I was wondering who we had in the wings.  I just don't think Reid Miller can cut it. 

I was looking at our roster and wondered what you all thought about some future players. Maybe some could move positions. 

For instance, what about Ben Brasuel? I think he's at the wrong position at OLB.  Should be a safety. 4.6 speed.  200lbs.  Smart kid.  Will never be big enough to play LB in the SEC. Would a run stopper and big hitter like he was at Benton.  Reminds me of Craig Steltz. I just think him not playing shows the incompetence of our entire coaching staff.

I'm just looking up and down the roster and cant see anyone that would fit a better mold.

Thoughts?

island hog

Gotta remember that in a 3-4 defense, the outside backers have to be able to run...he's light for that position right now but I'd expect he will add some weight. 

WalHog2018

Quote from: island hog on September 22, 2017, 10:37:41 am
Gotta remember that in a 3-4 defense, the outside backers have to be able to run...he's light for that position right now but I'd expect he will add some weight.

Well, he came in around 220, if I remember correctly.  The media guide says he's 203 now. So he is actually getting smaller. Why it popped in my head originally.

al_pigcino

Quote from: WalHog2018 on September 22, 2017, 10:43:28 am
Well, he came in around 220, if I remember correctly.  The media guide says he's 203 now. So he is actually getting smaller. Why it popped in my head originally.
You're basing position on size alone?  ???

WalHog2018

Quote from: al_pigcino on September 22, 2017, 10:47:57 am
You're basing position on size alone?  ???

Size and speed.  6'1'', 205. 4.6 40. 

Craig Steltz. 6'1'', 209. 4.6 40. 

205 will not cut it as a LB in the SEC.  He is fast enough to play safety. Can run down hill. Think it could work.

HogHomer

Quote from: WalHog2018 on September 22, 2017, 10:43:28 am
Did he really come in at 220? High schools are sometimes worse about their measurements because who's honestly going to care. Also we already have people complaining over Ty Clary playing over more experienced players. You can imagine the reaction if we sat Cooley Liddell or Ramirez and played another player without a scholarship.

WalHog2018

Quote from: HogHomer on September 22, 2017, 10:53:41 am
Did he really come in at 220? High schools are sometimes worse about their measurements because who's honestly going to care. Also we already have people complaining over Ty Clary playing over more experienced players. You can imagine the reaction if we sat Cooley Liddell or Ramirez and played another player without a scholarship.

I think he weighed in at 218 at a camp his senior year.  I am not saying play him this year. Just an option for the future.  We lose like four safeties this year.

Uncle Remus

Unless I'm wrong...isn't there a pretty highly touted freshman on campus named Monterric Brown???

HogHomer

Quote from: WalHog2018 on September 22, 2017, 10:27:12 am
I just think him not playing shows the incompetence of our entire coaching staff.
Did I read this wrong? Seems as though you say he should be playing and you took a shot at the coaches because so. Also I'm pretty sure we just lose Cooley and Liddell this year unless Santos declares early. We also have Montaric Brown, Micahh Smith, Deon Edwards and Korey Hernandez on the roster right now and a Sean Michael Flannigan coming in this recruiting class.

WalHog2018

Quote from: HogHomer on September 22, 2017, 11:07:32 am
Did I read this wrong? Seems as though you say he should be playing and you took a shot at the coaches because so. Also I'm pretty sure we just lose Cooley and Liddell this year unless Santos declares early. We also have Montaric Brown, Micahh Smith, Deon Edwards and Korey Hernandez on the roster right now and a Sean Michael Flannigan coming in this recruiting class.

Aside from Motaric Brown, I just don't see those other guys being much better than
Brausel at safety. Decent recruits. Haven't show much.  Ultimately, move Brausel to safety.

HogHomer

Quote from: WalHog2018 on September 22, 2017, 12:06:25 pm
Aside from Motaric Brown, I just don't see those other guys being much better than
Brausel at safety. Decent recruits. Haven't show much.  Ultimately, move Brausel to safety.
based on what seeing him play in high school? I can tell you most if not all the safeties played alot better talent than Benton did.
Also haven't seen much they've been on campus for 2 years at most less for some of them. They are behind 4 upperclassmen who have a lot of experience in the SEC. Unless you are a coach, a player, support staff or family I don't see how you would have enough info to come to your conclusion unless you are just talking out your behind.

NoogaHog

Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"