Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Andy Staples on Paul Finebaum just said coach B

Started by forrest city joe, September 20, 2017, 03:14:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FATHAWG08

There are 15.4 million reasons he will be here next year. we can't afford to fire him.
I love off season Football!!

HamSammich

I'd like to see what CBB can do without an allen shoved down his throat.

redleg

The UA and Jeff Long must at least wait until January 1, 2019 if they are going to get rid of Bielema. That is when his buyout drops by about half. If Bielema left on his own before then, he would owe the UA a few million dollar$, so unless another school is going to pay that for him, he won't be leaving on his own either.
1. The best case scenario is that he can coach the Hogs to a bowl game this season, then at least 9 regular season wins in 2018, and he "earns the right" to keep his current job.
2. The second best scenario would be that the aforementioned wins totals still happen, but Bielema leaves for a job outside the SEC (per his contract limitations) after the bowl game.

The big question, if and when he leaves, is who does Jeff Long hire to replace him? My first choice would be Dan Mullen, but I seriously doubt that will happen since he probably has a no-SEC compete clause in his contract. My other top choices would be Larry Fedora HC at UNC, Brent Venables DC at Clemson, Greg Schiano DC at Ohio St, Charlie Strong HC at South Florida, and Mike Houston HC at James Madison U.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on September 21, 2017, 12:57:18 pm
There are 15.4 million reasons he will be here next year. we can't afford to fire him.

Yes, we can.  I keep seeing that.  We have spent hundreds of millions on renovations and new facilities, so I don't know why people don't think we can handle $15M if the situation gets dire enough that the PTB decide it's the best move. 

BUT...as stated previously, we have to see a perpetually empty stadium, severe drop in not just wins, but also recruiting, AND I still believe that one big factor is having a game changing coach lined up so that we don't suffer the same fate for the next 5 years. 

We haven't gotten there yet, but a few 56-3 losses, and we will get there a lot faster than some people may think, because at that point you WILL see fans stay home, and the idea that the future losses could easily tally more than $15M in lost revenue becomes real. 

Think of it as ROI.  If it's obvious that the $15M is going out the door one way or the other, then why woudn't the PTB make the move?  Lose it now...or lost it later...  If lost ticket revenue is adding up to a projected $15M loss, then they're not getting a return on their investment.

It's a fact....Arkansas supports a winner.  I remember back in the Hatfield days when Nolan was winning everything, and football was an afterthought.  Boring offense, same 10 wins...beat the teams we should, lose to the good ones...and people started staying home.  We're not big on supporting losers.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

LZH

Trust me friends, and you know who you are, Bielema will be gone at the end of the year unless he produces eight or nine wins. And Jeff long is feeling the pressure too.

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: redleg on September 21, 2017, 02:49:27 pm
The UA and Jeff Long must at least wait until January 1, 2019 if they are going to get rid of Bielema. That is when his buyout drops by about half. If Bielema left on his own before then, he would owe the UA a few million dollar$, so unless another school is going to pay that for him, he won't be leaving on his own either.
1. The best case scenario is that he can coach the Hogs to a bowl game this season, then at least 9 regular season wins in 2018, and he "earns the right" to keep his current job.
2. The second best scenario would be that the aforementioned wins totals still happen, but Bielema leaves for a job outside the SEC (per his contract limitations) after the bowl game.

The big question, if and when he leaves, is who does Jeff Long hire to replace him? My first choice would be Dan Mullen, but I seriously doubt that will happen since he probably has a no-SEC compete clause in his contract. My other top choices would be Larry Fedora HC at UNC, Brent Venables DC at Clemson, Greg Schiano DC at Ohio St, Charlie Strong HC at South Florida, and Mike Houston HC at James Madison U.

that's a pretty good lineup you have there...

Dan Mullen: Highly likely No SEC compete clause. Don't think he would be interested even if he didn't have the clause.

Larry Fedora:  Heckuva motivator and recruiter.  Did well turning around losing programs.  UNC is down and like to see how that works.

Brent Venables:  Definitely uptick on the defensive side of the ball but see this as a Kirby Smart / Muschump type move.

Greg Schiano: Did really well at Rutgers (beat the Hogs) and spoke at a few Razorback events.  NFL: 11–21 (.344) NCAA: 73–68 (.518) Overall: 84–89 (.486)  :puke:

Charlie Strong: Arkansan that would definitely keep in-state talent home.  Heckuva disciplinarian and demands perfection. Does well with smaller programs not so much with Major P5 schools. Still would be my top choice only because of being an Arkansan.

Mike Houston: Won 2016 FCS championship against Youngstown State. Energetic and up and coming HBC who sports a good track record Overall 59–20.

While this was fun we all know those are pipe dreams and will not see those HBC's at Arkansas. 

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: HamSammich on Today at 12:58:34 pm

I'd like to see what CBB can do without an allen shoved down his throat.

Hahahahahahaha!!!  Another BA / AA / Pops Allen QB conspiracy theorists...Man I wish there was another one coming up - a cousin, nephew, something just to see HV go into complete meltdown... :)

code red

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 20, 2017, 03:14:50 pm
Is not going anywhere unless Arkansas get blown out every game the rest of the season. said Long knew how bad the program was when coach B took over.and that he did not want to make a change.if this is true(and it well could be)i don't know what to think?when was the decision made that winning was not the main thing for a coach at Arkansas?was it after Long fired Bobby,and got all the national praise?and do his Boss feel the same way?
He may not but, unless he wins 8 or more next year he will be gone.  It will be outta Jeffys hands.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 20, 2017, 03:14:50 pm
Is not going anywhere unless Arkansas get blown out every game the rest of the season. said Long knew how bad the program was when coach B took over.and that he did not want to make a change.if this is true(and it well could be)i don't know what to think?when was the decision made that winning was not the main thing for a coach at Arkansas?was it after Long fired Bobby,and got all the national praise?and do his Boss feel the same way?
He may not but, unless he wins 8 or more next year he will be gone.  It will be outta Jeffys hands.
Quote from: EastexHawg on September 20, 2017, 03:19:43 pm
Did Long get bitten by a tsetse fly and just wake up from African sleeping sickness?  This is year five for Bielema at Arkansas.  The "he inherited a mess" excuse, flimsy as it was, expired about the time the roster became stocked with mostly his own recruits.

Long is either a professional liar and con man or a moron.
I am thinking the same thing.  Should have quality depth by now.  CBB isn't the recruiter everyone thinks he is.  Lots of his 3 and 4 stars are busts.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

FraggleHog

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 21, 2017, 03:49:05 pm

Dan Mullen: Highly likely No SEC compete clause. Don't think he would be interested even if he didn't have the clause.

Larry Fedora:  Heckuva motivator and recruiter.  Did well turning around losing programs.  UNC is down and like to see how that works.

Brent Venables:  Definitely uptick on the defensive side of the ball but see this as a Kirby Smart / Muschump type move.

Greg Schiano: Did really well at Rutgers (beat the Hogs) and spoke at a few Razorback events.  NFL: 11–21 (.344) NCAA: 73–68 (.518) Overall: 84–89 (.486)  :puke:

Charlie Strong: Arkansan that would definitely keep in-state talent home.  Heckuva disciplinarian and demands perfection. Does well with smaller programs not so much with Major P5 schools. Still would be my top choice only because of being an Arkansan.

Mike Houston: Won 2016 FCS championship against Youngstown State. Energetic and up and coming HBC who sports a good track record Overall 59–20.

While this was fun we all know those are pipe dreams and will not see those HBC's at Arkansas.

Wouldn't call those pipe dreams... They are very possible hires if we enter the market for a HC. A pipe dream would be Saban, Jimbo Fisher or Dabo Swinney
Calling the Hogs from DFW

hawginbigd1

Quote from: GuvHog on September 21, 2017, 09:54:29 am
That is pure unadulterated POPPYCOCK. The only reason the 2012 team went 4-8 is because Bobby Petrino was not there. They would have won at least 8 games with Bobby as HC that year because the talent to do so was there. Jeff Long's firing of Bobby and hiring of JLS is what ruined that season. There was no dumpster fire. Take a look at the starting lineup of the Hogs 2014 defense which was Bielema's best so far. There were at least 6 Petrino recruits that anchored that defense and it's no coincidence that the defense tanked after Petrino's recruits left the team.
In typical Guv fashion you wouldn't know poppycock if it bit you on the arse. A few good players do not make a program it takes numbers and the 2011-2012 numbers on contributing players is absolutely abysmal, besides that the culture was F@&@ed up beyond belief. It was a dumpster fire akin or worse than what Hatfield/Kines left us with almost bereft of any talent at all.

ricepig

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on September 21, 2017, 12:57:18 pm

Can we pay it, sure, will we pay it, no.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 21, 2017, 05:55:36 pm
Can we pay it, sure, will we pay it, no.

your Honor "asked and answered the prosecutor is badgering the witness".... :D

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 21, 2017, 03:49:05 pm

Saban and Venables are probably the 2 best Coaches in all of college football.

Saban    Has coached in 6 National Championship games.

Venables   Has coached in 6 National Championship games.

HatfieldHog

Several posters are saying that next years schedule favors the Hogs winning 8-9 games?  Seriously? While breaking in a brand new "rookie" QB in the SEC West?   Do CBB was going to win he's going to have to do it this year!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

MissippHog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 21, 2017, 10:09:14 pm

Curious as to how many NCG's Brent Venables has coached in as a head coach.....

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: MissippHog on September 22, 2017, 12:56:05 am

Zip, Zero, Nada...

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 21, 2017, 10:09:14 pm

Oh buddy, I'm not knocking his coaching prowess - his resume is impressive from a DC perspective.  I'm just saying look at the body of work HBC "Boom" and HBC Smart have; that is kinda of what Venables brings to the table IMO...

Redhogs

Quote from: ricepig on September 21, 2017, 12:31:18 pm
Not sure anyone can here, but we'll keep trying.
Oh someone can....not sure we will ever find him...and yes we need to keep trying.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on September 20, 2017, 03:37:49 pm
Different sports and situation--- but how did you feel about Mike Anderson finishing .500 in year 6?  How do you feel about him now? 

Long said Arkansas is not a "win at all cost" program.  That means we don't want to cheat or recruit felons, right?  Does that really mean we don't want to win?

He didn't finish .500 in year 6.

Narratives were different. CBB took over a program that was one year removed from it's most successful 4 year run since Hatfield.

Basketball program only had more conference wins than Auburn and South Carolina in the 10 seasons prior to MA.

Dynamics of college basketball retaining of talent is more complicated than football as well.

CBB has yet to give any hope of there being success in the future of Hog football. 7 is the most regular season wins he has had. That's one game over .500. The basketball program had finished 2nd in the conference in year 4 so they at least showed some flicker of hope as that team had the most wins in 20 years.

CBB has only set records for futility as head coach here.

ricepig

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 22, 2017, 11:02:19 am
He didn't finish .500 in year 6.

Narratives were different. CBB took over a program that was one year removed from it's most successful 4 year run since Hatfield.

Basketball program only had more conference wins than Auburn and South Carolina in the 10 seasons prior to MA.

Dynamics of college basketball retaining of talent is more complicated than football as well.

CBB has yet to give any hope of there being success in the future of Hog football. 7 is the most regular season wins he has had. That's one game over .500. The basketball program had finished 2nd in the conference in year 4 so they at least showed some flicker of hope as that team had the most wins in 20 years.

CBB has only set records for futility as head coach here.

Correct, it was year 5.

gchamblee

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 21, 2017, 08:59:40 am
I called him a Carpet bagger many times and folks acted like I was an Idiot!

lol. you are.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: MissippHog on September 22, 2017, 12:56:05 am

Venables was the Associate Head Coach at Oklahoma some of the years he was at OU.

He coached in 4 National Championship games at OU, so there was probably at least 1 of them he head coached in as a result of him being the Associate Head Coach.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 22, 2017, 11:06:48 pm
Venables was the Associate Head Coach at Oklahoma some of the years he was at OU.

He coached in 4 National Championship games at OU, so there was probably at least 1 of them he head coached in as a result of him being the Associate Head Coach.

I have to believe you see anything Venables related, and you go into some sort of daze where you completely lose all sense of being rational and actually thinking about what you're saying.  Are you trying to say that Bob Stoops thought to himself, "You know, Brent is a good guy, so I think I'll step aside and just let him coach this one," because if so, that's comedy at its finest. 

Seriously...this has GOT to be some sort of joke right? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 22, 2017, 11:23:10 pm
I have to believe you see anything Venables related, and you go into some sort of daze where you completely lose all sense of being rational and actually thinking about what you're saying.  Are you trying to say that Bob Stoops thought to himself, "You know, Brent is a good guy, so I think I'll step aside and just let him coach this one," because if so, that's comedy at its finest. 

Seriously...this has GOT to be some sort of joke right? 

So, an Associate Head Coach just stands/sits on the sideline and just twiddles his thumbs?

Of course, Venables was head coaching in games when he was the Associate Head Coach.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 22, 2017, 11:28:48 pm
So, an Associate Head Coach just stands/sits on the sideline and just twiddles his thumbs?

Of course, Venables was head coaching in games when he was the Associate Head Coach.

You said he "head coached" in at least 1 of them.  NO.  He was NOT the head coach.  Did he coach in them...yes, but he wasn't the head coach.  I have to believe you know the difference, but you're trying to jerk chains, because that's just silly. 

Are you also going to try to convince me that because Kirby Smart spent all that time at Bama, and coached in a few NC games, that he was the head coach in at least 1 of them?  Pull my other leg....   ::)

GoHogs1091

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on September 22, 2017, 11:35:40 pm
You said he "head coached" in at least 1 of them.  NO.  He was NOT the head coach.  Did he coach in them...yes, but he wasn't the head coach.  I have to believe you know the difference, but you're trying to jerk chains, because that's just silly. 

Are you also going to try to convince me that because Kirby Smart spent all that time at Bama, and coached in a few NC games, that he was the head coach in at least 1 of them?  Pull my other leg....   ::)

Kirby Smart was the Associate Head Coach at Alabama for only 1 season (the 2007 season).

Alabama didn't play in the NC game that season.

The other seasons after 2007 that Alabama played in the NC game, Smart was just their Defensive Coordinator, and therefore he did not head coach in those NC games since he was not their Associate Head Coach.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 22, 2017, 11:43:06 pm
Kirby Smart was the Associate Head Coach at Alabama for only 1 season (the 2007 season).

Alabama didn't play in the NC game that season.

The other seasons after 2007 that Alabama played in the NC game, Smart was just their Defensive Coordinator, and therefore he did not head coach in those NC games since he was not their Associate Head Coach.

Well, then in that case, if I'm Venables...I retire immediately.  He's got the best coaching record in the history of football at any level.  He's 1-0 with his only win being in the NC game.  No wonder you think he's the best coach of all time...it's all clear to me now.  He's just hanging out as the DC at Clemson to be fair to everyone else.   ::)