Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top 3 Recuiting Class?

Started by HatfieldHog, September 13, 2017, 09:27:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HatfieldHog

It looks like Dave Van Horn put together a 3rd ranked recuiting class....  Somebody please tell Brett Beliema that you can recruit to Fayetteville, Arkansas! 

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

ShadowHawg

Someone please tell our fans that baseball players pay for their own educations unlike football players who have schools competing for them come play for a free education.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: HatfieldHog on September 13, 2017, 09:27:34 pm
It looks like Dave Van Horn put together a 3rd ranked recuiting class....  Somebody please tell Brett Beliema that you can recruit to Fayetteville, Arkansas! 

See ya

That would require actual work.

Bielema is busy doing other things, such as shopping for food ingredients, cooking, twittering out recipes, and going to Justin Moore concerts.

PossumFan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 13, 2017, 09:43:47 pm

Bielema is busy doing other things, such as shopping for food ingredients, cooking, twittering out recipes, and going to Justin Moore concerts.

Bet he works more hours every week than you do.

HatfieldHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 13, 2017, 09:43:28 pm
Someone please tell our fans that baseball players pay for their own educations unlike football players who have schools competing for them come play for a free education.

I don't know what your point is Shadow.  My point is that you can recruit to Fayetteville, Arkansas.  I've been on the business end of College Baseball Recruiting and I know how it works.  Recruiting is Recruiting, baseball or football or basketball!  Good recruiters get good players....

This mentality within our fanbase that says that you can't recruit to Arkansas, is wrong!  It's an excuse for not getting the job done!

We pay Beliema 4 Plus million dollars to put a winning team on Campus and he isn't doing it!

Again, I say, "Somebody tell Beliema that you can bring in top talent to the U of A!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

bigeasyhog

Quote from: HatfieldHog on September 13, 2017, 09:57:51 pm

I don't know what your point is Shadow.  My point is that you can recruit to Fayetteville, Arkansas.  I've been on the business end of College Baseball Recruiting and I know how it works.  Recruiting is Recruiting, baseball or football or basketball!  Good recruiters get good players....

This mentality within our fanbase that says that you can't recruit to Arkansas, is wrong!  It's an excuse for not getting the job done!

We pay Beliema 4 Plus million dollars to put a winning team on Campus and he isn't doing it!

Again, I say, "Somebody tell Beliema that you can bring in top talent to the U of A!

See ya

Yes! Praise the Lord! Someone else besides me finally said and gets it. Thank you!!!

HogHomer

See ya
I've worked in college football recruiting I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that it is very different between sports in recruiting.

bulldog04

Quote from: HogHomer on September 13, 2017, 10:06:50 pm
I've worked in college football recruiting I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that it is very different between sports in recruiting.
Yep you have the draft and players seeing dollar signs in baseball. Also a bidding war as to who can offer more scholarship money where in football it's all the same.  Baseball recruiting is tough

b-ash

You can't possibly compare recruiting in baseball (predominatly all white in college) to football (majority African American) to Northwest Arkansas.  Kids of color and/or from big cities have zero interest in heading to Northwest Arkansas unless they grew up in Arkansas a fan or have way worse offers.  We are going to get the players we get and the coach only has minimal ability to change it.  Just look over the last 25 years.  I am 41, so since I have been 16 things have always been pretty much the same except for a couple of years when McFadden was around and the Mallet years.

hoglady

Dave Van Horn has built a top notch baseball program. I watch Benintendi and Keuchel every chance I get. Almost every game (especially with AB) the announcers mention Arkansas and how AB won all the awards across the board and what a great career he had at Arkansas.
That's why players come here - they come to play in a premiere SEC program.

I don't understand the pay angle - baseball players will pay to come play for Van Horn and the football program can't get them to come for free?
Both coaches have to compete against top programs for the talent.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hog Pharm

There's plenty of thing to criticize CBB for but the amount of effort put into recruiting isn't one.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: PossumFan on September 13, 2017, 09:57:21 pm

Possible, but also doubtful.

I used to be an Analyst and a Manager for a large publicly traded dry van full-truckload firm in the transportation industry (wasn't J.B. Hunt).  I would start work at around 7:45 AM and work to 9 PM to 10 PM, and that would include working through the lunch hour.

onebadrubi

See ya

Someone beat you to the punch in the recruiting forum. 

The demographics of recruiting a top baseball players are not in anyway shape or form comparable to football.

Also, do yourself a favor and learn something by reading about the trials of Leo Lewis and others this week involved in the Ole Miss things.  Our SEC counter parts are slinging 10,000 plus in cash payments, cars, etc for the top recruits.  It isn't going to happen here

onebadrubi

You're an idiot

factchecker

Dave Van Horn for athletic director.

Experience as a successful coach.
Has done well finding and hiring great assistants.
Knows the Razorback program better than anyone.
Excellent with the media.
Has good will with the fans.
Has the successful three name formula = John Frank Broyles - Dave Van Horn

I'm joking but hey ya never know.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: bigeasyhog on September 13, 2017, 10:00:19 pm
Yes! Praise the Lord! Someone else besides me finally said and gets it. Thank you!!!

Yep. You guys are the only two saying it.

MemphisBossHog

thank you.  It is totally different from football.  Completely different kind of recruit/athlete.

But still, give DVH his props.  Top 3 class is outstanding.  DVH knows how to get the kind of recruit he wants to come to Ark. 

We just need to find someone who can do that with football recruits. 

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 13, 2017, 10:21:15 pm
Someone beat you to the punch in the recruiting forum. 

The demographics of recruiting a top baseball players are not in anyway shape or form comparable to football.

Also, do yourself a favor and learn something by reading about the trials of Leo Lewis and others this week involved in the Ole Miss things.  Our SEC counter parts are slinging 10,000 plus in cash payments, cars, etc for the top recruits.  It isn't going to happen here
I agree completely. I started to post something about demographics but I didn't want to open up that can of worms. Nevertheless, the recruits that DVH goes after are nothing like the ones that LSU, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida or A$M football recruiters go after.  Don't know how much plainer it can be stated.  Its just not the same and for whatever reason, those elite football recruits don't want to come to NW Arkansas to play while elite baseball recruits don't seem to have the same problem.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: b-ash on September 13, 2017, 10:15:34 pm
You can't possibly compare recruiting in baseball (predominatly all white in college) to football (majority African American) to Northwest Arkansas.  Kids of color and/or from big cities have zero interest in heading to Northwest Arkansas unless they grew up in Arkansas a fan or have way worse offers.  We are going to get the players we get and the coach only has minimal ability to change it.  Just look over the last 25 years.  I am 41, so since I have been 16 things have always been pretty much the same except for a couple of years when McFadden was around and the Mallet years.
well, I was afraid to open up that can of worms but since you have done it,  I will completely agree with you.  Its just a totally different recruit.  You have hit the nail on the head.  The kind of recruits that we desperately want to come to Arkansas--the ones that will go to Ga or Fla or LSU or Bama or Auburn will not come to Ark.  Or at least not in big enough numbers.  I can only assume they don't like what they see when they go around Fayetteville because I'm sure our facilities are as good as most schools.  So there has to be something that they don't like and maybe its because they don't see a lot of people who look like they do when they get out in Fayetteville.  Doesn't make Fayetteville a bad place, but it does make it harder to get young African American kids who can go anywhere they want to want to come to Ark.  You have nailed it. Agree 100%

ShadowHawg

See ya

The points are many. I was recruited and played both baseball and basketball in college.

Demographics are different between baseball and football players. Baseball players come from more affluent backgrounds. NWA is pretty much the old neighborhood. Baseball players are buying their education and as a result choose using different criteria. A baseball player is getting a lot for his dollar at the U of A. Sellout crowds at the most beautiful collegiate venue in the sport for instance. Players aren't part of the grounds crew, etc.

75% of all football players aren't white. NWA is a weird place to most of them.

Football players do not pay to attend school either. Facilities are great at all the schools Arkansas competes with so they aren't factors of differentiation.

P5 football programs are so close in terms of facilities and equipment that the things that set programs apart are geographical location, urban/rural demos, and traditions. You can be as dynamic as you want but you won't overcome all those factors. If you could, Saban would have never left Mich St.

There are tons of other factors and differences between the two but connecting the dots between baseball and football recruiting is not possible.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: PossumFan on September 13, 2017, 09:57:21 pm

A-freakin-men.

I've avoided this $hitstorm all week. But, I'd bet big dollars (over and above my annual contributions) that most of the loudest, whiniest [CENSORED] on this site work less, worry less and care less about their own jobs than this staff, these players and everyone associated with this program.

Pathetic.

By the way, I'm not a Long or Bielema plant.  I'm a damn HOG FAN.

GO HOGS!!

MemphisBossHog

See ya
going after a completely different athlete football vs baseball.  It is not near the same. Look up a few posts and see the post by "b ash."   He is spot on.   Look at what most of your baseball players look like.  Caucasian, middle class.   Look at Fayetteville--up and coming hot place to move to and live but mainly Caucasian and middle class (or upper).

Now look at the top football recruits that we want to come to Ark--the ones that LSU and Bama et al get. They are African American either from rural areas or urban inner city areas.  Either way, when they visit Fayetteville, they don't see many people who look like they do.

I'm sure this line of thinking wont be popular but its got to have something to do with it. 

Of course, some African American kids come to Ark, but not near the numbers that the other schools get. 

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 13, 2017, 10:45:22 pm
The points are many. I was recruited and played both baseball and basketball in college.

Demographics are different between baseball and football players. Baseball players come from more affluent backgrounds. NWA is pretty much the old neighborhood. Baseball players are buying their education and as a result choose using different criteria. A baseball player is getting a lot for his dollar at the U of A. Sellout crowds at the most beautiful collegiate venue in the sport for instance. Players aren't part of the grounds crew, etc.

75% of all football players aren't white. NWA is a weird place to most of them.

Football players do not pay to attend school either. Facilities are great at all the schools Arkansas competes with so they aren't factors of differentiation.

P5 football programs are so close in terms of facilities and equipment that the things that set programs apart are geographical location, urban/rural demos, and traditions. You can be as dynamic as you want but you won't overcome all those factors. If you could, Saban would have never left Mich St.

There are tons of other factors and differences between the two but connecting the dots between baseball and football recruiting is not possible.
well said Shadow. I agree 1000%. It is in no way the same as baseball recruiting.

onebadrubi

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 13, 2017, 10:35:45 pm
I agree completely. I started to post something about demographics but I didn't want to open up that can of worms. Nevertheless, the recruits that DVH goes after are nothing like the ones that LSU, Bama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida or A$M football recruiters go after.  Don't know how much plainer it can be stated.  Its just not the same and for whatever reason, those elite football recruits don't want to come to NW Arkansas to play while elite baseball recruits don't seem to have the same problem.

They would come if we would pay them the kind of money other schools do.  They don't come to NWA because family members can't afford to lose business from their catering businesses, can't afford to turn down the free charger, can't afford to turn down the amount of cash that equals or surpasses the sum of their house hold income. 

We've been spending countless threads back and forth over recruiting, all the while we assumed payments were being made and now it's all
Coming out what it really takes to attract these top caliber players.   Until the bama, lsu Texas a&m's stop, we just aren't getting them.  Throw whoever you want under the buss, the next coach is going to fight the same Battle. It's no mystery our best football days are when we produce a Dmac, a mallett, a henry and so on. 

It appears a top ten recruiting class probably cost somewhere around 500,000 plus in cash, you guys wanting to come up with 15 mil for a buyout should be pleased to hear that top linebackers only want 15-25,000 and we have a great team with 500,000 instead of 15 mil and rolling the dice looking for the next intivator

razortrack

It shows with a physique like that!

onebadrubi

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 13, 2017, 10:45:15 pm
well, I was afraid to open up that can of worms but since you have done it,  I will completely agree with you.  Its just a totally different recruit.  You have hit the nail on the head.  The kind of recruits that we desperately want to come to Arkansas--the ones that will go to Ga or Fla or LSU or Bama or Auburn will not come to Ark.  Or at least not in big enough numbers.  I can only assume they don't like what they see when they go around Fayetteville because I'm sure our facilities are as good as most schools.  So there has to be something that they don't like and maybe its because they don't see a lot of people who look like they do when they get out in Fayetteville.  Doesn't make Fayetteville a bad place, but it does make it harder to get young African American kids who can go anywhere they want to want to come to Ark.  You have nailed it. Agree 100%

It is NOT about the color of the skin, it's about how thick the stack of GREEN is.  We have attracted top athletes just in recent of color that didn't not get lured in by cash.  Collins, Kirkland, Wallace, Merrick, Guidry, Harris, agim.   There are some, but to pull the Leo Lewis, the tunsils, nkemdiche, tread wells etc, the skin color is irrelevant if they are going to prodemently southern white colleges, it's all about the color green.

Don't forget, Bielema let you in on this a few classes back. He made a calculated comment about Florida now being like Ole miss, he back tracked tonsay they are every where instead of making accusations, but we now all really know what he was pointing out.

Piggfoot

September 14, 2017, 02:01:29 am #26 Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:13:11 am by Piggfoot
A very wise man said to find the answer to anything follow the money. There was is no way African Americans not from Mississippi would choose to go to school there without green incentive. Esp to play for an unproven coach. As a side note, Fayetteville has only 6% Black, much much less than most other SEC college towns. 
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

bigeasyhog

So explain basketball recruits, and our ability under current and past coaching regimes to attract top classes to UA, comprised predominantly of black kids?  How does our track program do it as well?

Pork Twain

If you do not understand the difference between baseball and foot ball or basketball and football, when it comes to recruiting and competition, then there is not much hope for a real discussion.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bigeasyhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 14, 2017, 02:44:54 am
If you do not understand the difference between baseball and foot ball or basketball and football, when it comes to recruiting and competition, then there is not much hope for a real discussion.

Yes, I completely understand the difference between sports; my question addresses attracting black athletes to the UA. Posts above state it's very difficult. However, recruiting success in all sports suggests you can , in fact, attract them to our programs, and high level ones at that.

Pork Twain

Quote from: bigeasyhog on September 14, 2017, 03:17:41 am
Yes, I completely understand the difference between sports; my question addresses attracting black athletes to the UA. Posts above state it's very difficult. However, recruiting success in all sports suggests you can , in fact, attract them to our programs, and high level ones at that.
Do you?  Black, white, brown...  Are we talking about 2-4 basketball players a year, or the 5-7 baseball players a year.  Do you want to address the color of those players?  Much different than landing a football class of 20-25 that can match up against the top teams.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Bacons Rebellion

If recruiting is all the same in all sports, we'll watch Kentucky play in yet another Sugar Bowl this year.

scorekeeper

If recruiting AA to play football is so difficult why not change the demographical focus of the players that are recruited? More focus on players who are likely to come to the school and then develop those players.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

bigeasyhog

Quote from: Pork Twain on September 14, 2017, 05:54:22 am
Do you?  Black, white, brown...  Are we talking about 2-4 basketball players a year, or the 5-7 baseball players a year.  Do you want to address the color of those players?  Much different than landing a football class of 20-25 that can match up against the top teams.

You know good and well my remarks were solely about race of the athlete, not the quantity of , and the ability to get them on campus PERIOD. As for Kentucky, they cast their lot on basketball decades ago, when Adolf Rupp got the red carpet rolled out for him, and Bear Bryant saw the writing on the wall and left for Texas A&M. So, using UK as an example is poor. Now, their 14th ranked cross state rival Louisville might work, who ironically has our previous coach. Bet if you polled their fans right now they would give a thumbs up to both their AD Tom Jurich, and Petrino.

JaketheSnake

See ya
Baseball, Basketball, track, underwater basket weaving, etc are all very different animals than football.  That's just common sense. 

If it were football, we would still hear the complaint  that it's only 3rd best in the SEC tho, since Vandy and Florida have then No 1 & 2 ranked classes for baseball.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Someone please explain how the financial burden makes it easier to recruit baseball players vs football players? Kids are going to chose the school based on education more so than anything else if part of it is on their own dime. That's a dumb argument. It can be done.... The only obstacle in the way is perception, and that can and must change..
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Jonbo

I think the argument that football recruiting at Arkansas is handicapped by demographic facts has it, in this thread, anyhow. That would fuel another argument, though. That is that Beilema and his staff are operating at a disadvantage compared to the rest of the conference. They just can't recruit the same talent. Maybe then, he's not doing all that badly overall and we should just lay off him. {ducks}

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on September 13, 2017, 10:18:10 pm
Dave Van Horn has built a top notch baseball program. I watch Benintendi and Keuchel every chance I get. Almost every game (especially with AB) the announcers mention Arkansas and how AB won all the awards across the board and what a great career he had at Arkansas.
That's why players come here - they come to play in a premiere SEC program.

I don't understand the pay angle - baseball players will pay to come play for Van Horn and the football program can't get them to come for free?
Both coaches have to compete against top programs for the talent.

If you don't understand the pay angle, then you never had a boy playing travel ball. This is definitely apples to oranges, it's not the same. Now success helps for sure, but Norm had good teams before DVH, too.

onebadrubi

Quote from: bigeasyhog on September 14, 2017, 02:33:10 am
So explain basketball recruits, and our ability under current and past coaching regimes to attract top classes to UA, comprised predominantly of black kids?  How does our track program do it as well?

Let me ask you this, why don't you work for a competitor in your industry for a fraction of what you are paid now, if any pay?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: ricepig on September 14, 2017, 07:01:50 am
If you don't understand the pay angle, then you never had a boy playing travel ball. This is definitely apples to oranges, it's not the same. Now success helps for sure, but Norm had good teams before DVH, too.

Explain... How does having kids pay for part of their education make Arkansas a better choice than LSU?
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

onebadrubi

Quote from: bigeasyhog on September 14, 2017, 06:17:50 am
You know good and well my remarks were solely about race of the athlete, not the quantity of , and the ability to get them on campus PERIOD. As for Kentucky, they cast their lot on basketball decades ago, when Adolf Rupp got the red carpet rolled out for him, and Bear Bryant saw the writing on the wall and left for Texas A&M. So, using UK as an example is poor. Now, their 14th ranked cross state rival Louisville might work, who ironically has our previous coach. Bet if you polled their fans right now they would give a thumbs up to both their AD Tom Jurich, and Petrino.

You mean the school that caught with a madam on speed dial?  You really are trying hard NOT to see what is right in front of yiu

ricepig

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 14, 2017, 07:08:12 am
Explain... How does having kids pay for part of their education make Arkansas a better choice than LSU?

If you were having to pay, would you rather live in Fayetteville, or Baton Rouge??

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: ricepig on September 14, 2017, 07:16:06 am
If you were having to pay, would you rather live in Fayetteville, or Baton Rouge??

How many kids do we have from Houston?

J-Five

Quote from: b-ash on September 13, 2017, 10:15:34 pm

I agree with this....
"If the person you're criticizing is doing it better than you are, close your mouth"

ricepig

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 14, 2017, 07:23:35 am
How many kids do we have from Houston?

I have no idea, try the website at look at the roster, but what does Houston have to do with baseball?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: ricepig on September 14, 2017, 07:27:28 am
I have no idea, try the website at look at the roster, but what does Houston have to do with baseball?

I thought you were linking distance from home as an indicator of how Arkansas is able to get a top 3 class. I went to look at the roster and many kids are from outside of Arkansas and have many other choices nearby. I still don't understand how the players paying part of their tuition and other costs makes Arkansas a better choice for them... We're talking a top 3 class. They aren't all from Arkansas. What makes a guy from Navarre, FL choose Arkansas "Financially" vs coming for the program and/or coach? I do not see a financial correlation that would make that kid choose a different school if both were paying the same % of tuition, up to and including, Full Ride... It's all still gotta boil down to the same choices a football player has to make. Van Horn didn't inherit a dumpster fire, but he has improved Arkansas in his tenure. I'm a CBB guy. I just don't understand your position.

hoglady

You've got to be a genius to recruit baseball or dang lucky.
Juggling spreading out those limited scholarship dollars, going after top talent (that you have a good shot at keeping) and having them commit - then the MLB draft rolls around and can decimate your stellar class. You're recruiting again trying to get those kids to stick with college over MLB.
Anyone who thinks all that easy is crazy.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

rljjr

Imagine how great football recruiting would be if you Hogville professional recruiters joined forces with the actual Razorbacks and did some pro bono work! We'd be number one every year!!! Wow! I'm so excited for the future!!!

hogsanity

Another OP proving many of our fans are truly clueless.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RazorPiggie

Quote from: bigeasyhog on September 14, 2017, 02:33:10 am

Name the last "big time" player we had that wasn't associated with anything Arkansas.