Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greg McElroy-- "the quarterback is the great equalizer"

Started by Mo_Better_Hogs, September 13, 2017, 12:26:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo_Better_Hogs

This is what he was saying about the OU win over Ohio State. And Sooner Baker Mayfield's great game.

I totally believed that would be the case for us this year. And without question.

McElroy was making the point that when you compare rosters, and the other team is better top to bottom, the QB play can make up the gap.

Austin wasn't perfect last year, but when he was good, he was phenomenal. My expectation this year was high for AA. And for what Enos was going to do. I knew there would be some question marks--will our o-line improve? How will the new receivers gel? How will our running game support the passing game?

Maybe I thought AA was more superhuman than he is. That he alone could make up for our deficiencies. If our running game isn't quite as good, that's OK, because Austin would be a little better. If our line can't protect him better than last year, maybe he'll throw more balls away sooner and not take bad hits. Gone is the chemistry with Hatcher and Morgan, but when you stick the ball into a receiver's chest, that doesn't matter.

Right now, forget improvement, I'd take the 2016 Austin Allen in a second. But Enos and everyone else will have to help.

codeHog

good post. Allen has the ball in his hands every play and as a 5th year senior he should be a coach on the field. If he can't trust a WR, then change the play at the line and throw a swing pass to a back or throw to the TE

bphi11ips

Yep, good post.  My confidence in this year's team was based mostly upon Austin Allen.  QB is the most important position on the field by a long shot, even in the NFL.

It's not clear to me how much of AA's problems the first two games are due to the receivers, o-line, lack of production in the running game, or his own play.  His mechanics look very different than they did last year, even in the FAMU game.  He doesn't seem to point his left shoulder at his target and step into his throws the way he did last year, even when he is not under pressure.  His footwork looks much different.  Consequently, the ball is not coming off his hand the way it was, and he often misses his target badly. 

Granted, the receivers are all new and our running game was not effective enough against TCU to set up play action.  I can't recall seeing many routes in either of the first two games in the middle of the field.  Not many slants or posts or seam routes.  When we have run those routes, either the receiver got no separation, or AA missed an open receiver. 

The good news is that we know AA is capable of performing much better.  The problems with the offense can be fixed, and they probably will be fixed.  The question right now is whether it will be in time for A&M. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 13, 2017, 01:06:44 pm
Yep, good post.  My confidence in this year's team was based mostly upon Austin Allen.  QB is the most important position on the field by a long shot, even in the NFL.

It's not clear to me how much of AA's problems the first two games are due to the receivers, o-line, lack of production in the running game, or his own play.  His mechanics look very different than they did last year, even in the FAMU game.  He doesn't seem to point his left shoulder at his target and step into his throws the way he did last year, even when he is not under pressure.  His footwork looks much different.  Consequently, the ball is not coming off his hand the way it was, and he often misses his target badly. 

Granted, the receivers are all new and our running game was not effective enough against TCU to set up play action.  I can't recall seeing many routes in either of the first two games in the middle of the field.  Not many slants or posts or seam routes.  When we have run those routes, either the receiver got no separation, or AA missed an open receiver. 

The good news is that we know AA is capable of performing much better.  The problems with the offense can be fixed, and they probably will be fixed.  The question right now is whether it will be in time for A&M. 

AA was throwing to 4 guys last year that all made NFL rosters. BUt I am sure that had noting to do with it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LRHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on September 13, 2017, 01:08:11 pm
AA was throwing to 4 guys last year that all made NFL rosters. BUt I am sure that had noting to do with it.

Imagine if we actually had the offensive line CBB promised us?

hogfanshan

When was AA's last good game? I believe there is a false narrative about just how good AA was last year. Granted, he was hit a lot last year. But keep in mind, he struggled a lot...and got away with some passes due to really good receivers.

I think he can be a really good qb. However, he wasn't that "great" last year...especially the second half of the season. A lot of it was on the OL...much of it on play-calling...and still some on poor-decision making by the qb.

A great QB can be an equalizer...but in my opinion, AA was trending down at the end of last season...and it's carried over into this season. Right now he plays like he doesn't trust his OL, his WRs, or anyone for that matter. I hope he improves. I believe it will take a change in scheme and philosophy with regards to his abilities for him to become a really good QB.

Hope they all figure it out!

Tejano Jawg

I'm with you all the way on this. The best teams have a great quarterback, followed by a great D (front 7/pass rush).

Last year before the Alabama game, I said what gave us a chance was that we would have the better quarterback. And I was right/almost right. Despite his 3(?) picks, Austin threw beautiful TDs, and ripped Bama's D for 400+ yards. Saban would mention this occasionally, the rest of the season. And I thought we would win practically all the QB match ups this year.

As bphi11ips asks, where are the problems specifically? (The answer is everything he mentioned—protection from the O-line, productivity from the backs and receivers.) As for Austin himself, I asked a friend after the game, "is there an injury to AA we don't know about?" So funny you should mention his mechanics.

I talked about Enos' role in his play in another thread. I won't repeat it here. But that's a big player.

Mo, to your original point, I also underestimated all the other factors surrounding the QB. I'm not ready to say Austin is having a bad year. He just needs help.

Also, I almost started a thread on OU/Baker Mayfield earlier. Sure, he has skills, and can run. But don't forget, OU produced Heisman-winning QB Jason White, who moved like a grandmother, but had time to throw 40+ TDs. I'm amazed at how consistently they have an offensive scheme (and O-line) that can allow a passing game to be run so comfortably. Watching Mayfield in the first 2 games, there were times it looked like a 'halo rule' around him. But that's another story...and is Bielema's/Anderson's problem.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Hoginsavga

Maybe I am wrong about this but it seemed as though we ran the ball on 1st and 2nd downs most of the first half and used 3rd down to pass trying to get the 1st down. Appears as though we were fairly predictable in our play selection; not too hard for the opposition's defense to detect what we were going to do.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I can't bring myself to watch a replay.

DeltaBoy

Well our QB seems shell shocked and it only the 3rd game.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jimhog

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: hogfanshan on September 13, 2017, 01:26:28 pm
A great QB can be an equalizer...but in my opinion, AA was trending down at the end of last season...and it's carried over into this season. Right now he plays like he doesn't trust his OL, his WRs, or anyone for that matter. I hope he improves. I believe it will take a change in scheme and philosophy with regards to his abilities for him to become a really good QB.

Dude, spot on!!! You can see it in his demeanor every time he's under center and it's a pass play that has at least three reads. AA goes into panic mode immediately.  He needs to Face Time Baker Mayfield (I know those two are buddies and was probably hanging out when Baker got smashed by FPD) and Peyton Manning (Manning's praised AA QB Camp) to understand that you can't make all the throws but you HAVE to be the LEADER in the huddle!!!  It seems AA just goes flat when things aren't immediately clicking. 

Changing the scheme is good. Put AA in the shotgun more instead of under center, get him out on the edges so he can hit the intermediate routes.  Throw the deep ball to keep opposing defenses honest and stop stack the box...   GET CREATIVE CDE!!! 

Tusks

OU beat OSU on the road starting 2 FR WR and a FR TE.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Been10Hog

Austin doesn't seem to have trouble showing his emotion! Maybe he should let Enos and BB know which receivers he wants on the field and which should ride the pine. Be a leader

hawgon

He literally had the swagger beaten out of him last year.  That is the simple truth of it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hawgon on September 13, 2017, 03:08:16 pm
He literally had the swagger beaten out of him last year.  That is the simple truth of it.

I starting to believe that.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LRHawg

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on September 13, 2017, 01:34:27 pm
I'm with you all the way on this. The best teams have a great quarterback, followed by a great D (front 7/pass rush).

Last year before the Alabama game, I said what gave us a chance was that we would have the better quarterback. And I was right/almost right. Despite his 3(?) picks, Austin threw beautiful TDs, and ripped Bama's D for 400+ yards. Saban would mention this occasionally, the rest of the season. And I thought we would win practically all the QB match ups this year.

As bphi11ips asks, where are the problems specifically? (The answer is everything he mentioned—protection from the O-line, productivity from the backs and receivers.) As for Austin himself, I asked a friend after the game, "is there an injury to AA we don't know about?" So funny you should mention his mechanics.

I talked about Enos' role in his play in another thread. I won't repeat it here. But that's a big player.

Mo, to your original point, I also underestimated all the other factors surrounding the QB. I'm not ready to say Austin is having a bad year. He just needs help.

Also, I almost started a thread on OU/Baker Mayfield earlier. Sure, he has skills, and can run. But don't forget, OU produced Heisman-winning QB Jason White, who moved like a grandmother, but had time to throw 40+ TDs. I'm amazed at how consistently they have an offensive scheme (and O-line) that can allow a passing game to be run so comfortably. Watching Mayfield in the first 2 games, there were times it looked like a 'halo rule' around him. But that's another story...and is Bielema's/Anderson's problem.

The Sooners returned Mayfield and ALL 5 starters from the 2016 offensive line.  They were arguably one of the best Oline's last year as well. Bill Bedenbaugh is one of the best in college ball.

Here's the 24/7 composite recruiting rankings of their starters:

Orlando Brown - 3*
Bobby Evans - 4*
Erick Wren - SENIOR WALK ON
Ben Powers - 3*
Drew Samia - 4*

The difference? Coaching.

bphi11ips

You should read more before you reply. I specifically mentioned the new receivers. They have a lot to do with it. I've also played and coached enough QBs to know when a QB's mechanics don't look right.  You don't have to have much experience to see that AA is struggling to set his feet and step into his throws. That may be because he feels rushed even when he's not. It's not easy to stand back and looked poised when you gave no confidence in your receivers or o-line. It's even harder when you are up against a great senior led defense like TCU's. Gary Patterson has had 5 defenses in the last 16 years that led the NCAA in total defense. Think about that. This one looks pretty darn stout to me.

I'd like to see more Brandon Martin, Jared Cornelius and Jonathan Nance running crossing and deep routes against A&M. What do we have to lose?  TEs are just ok but should get better quickly. O'Grady and Patton are both going to be good.

I'll predict AA will look much better against A&M. He won't see too many more defenses better than TCU's in the half dozen toss-up games we have left.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Been10Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 13, 2017, 03:21:04 pm
You should read more before you reply. I specifically mentioned the new receivers. They have a lot to do with it. I've also played and coached enough QBs to know when a QB's mechanics don't look right.  You don't have to have much experience to see that AA is struggling to set his feet and step into his throws. That may be because he feels rushed even when he's not. It's not easy to stand back and looked poised when you gave no confidence in your receivers or o-line. It's even harder when you are up against a great senior led defense like TCU's. Gary Patterson has had 5 defenses in the last 16 years that led the NCAA in total defense. Think about that. This one looks pretty darn stout to me.
Good points! I think in a few weeks we will realize how good the frogs are!
I'd like to see more Brandon Martin, Jared Cornelius and Jonathan Nance running crossing and deep routes against A&M. What do we have to lose?  TEs are just ok but should get better quickly. O'Grady and Patton are both going to be good.

I'll predict AA will look much better against A&M. He won't see too many more defenses better than TCU's in the half dozen toss-up games we have left.
Good points! I think in a couple weeks we will see that frogs are for real and we're not as bad as it looks right now!

lakecityhog

Off topic I know, but why not go to THAT GUY and offer him enough money to leave OU???

lakecityhog

Quote from: LRHawg on September 13, 2017, 03:19:43 pm
The Sooners returned Mayfield and ALL 5 starters from the 2016 offensive line.  They were arguably one of the best Oline's last year as well. Bill Bedenbaugh is one of the best in college ball.

Here's the 24/7 composite recruiting rankings of their starters:

Orlando Brown - 3*
Bobby Evans - 4*
Erick Wren - SENIOR WALK ON
Ben Powers - 3*
Drew Samia - 4*

The difference? Coaching.

If BB is truly wanting to have the best O'Line hire THE BEST O'LINE COACH!!!

LRHawg

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 13, 2017, 04:05:53 pm
If BB is truly wanting to have the best O'Line hire THE BEST O'LINE COACH!!!

My opinion isn't worth much, but, I think the Anderson hire was CBB's biggest mistake so far.