Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The buyout; Jerry Jones

Started by Hogopolis, September 11, 2017, 09:03:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogopolis

$15.4 million is petty cash to Jerry.  He will be in his box in two weeks to watch first hand the embarrassment that is Razorback Football.   I'm hoping he has his check book on him and makes a donation to the foundation!!!  There are enough very wealthy former hogs a $15.4 million buyout should not be a problem.  Jerry, Jim Lindsey.  Maybe Tyson chicken and the Walmart family will chip in.  Bill Clinton even.   Point being, if things don't change very soon not even that buyout will save coach B's job. 

Boog41

It's always easy to spend someone else's money, isn't it??

hobhog

Maybe likes coach B and isn't ready to panic after 2 games.

Besides- he didn't get rich doing stupid things with his money.

Hogopolis

Quote from: Boog41 on September 11, 2017, 09:06:55 am

I spend my own money on Arkansas.   Tickets and concessions and parking.   Yearly donations to help me get a decent seat.   For me, and most fans, doing that represents a significant commitment of my finances.   I'm just saying there are people who love Arkansas Football as much as I do who have collectively billions at their disposal.   $15.4 million buyout will not save his job if things don't change soon. 

RazorBassin

15.4 million reasons Bielema will be coaching again next year and 7.9 Mil reasons he may be coaching the year after that.  I hope not, but I'm afraid we may be stuck until 2020....

pigelow

amazing when you listed the people who should put their money up for a buyout, you didn't list yourself. funny these people want successful business people to put their own money up but never include themselves  :)

EastexHawg

Quote from: hobhog on September 11, 2017, 09:14:14 am

Two games?  Has Jerry been taking a Rip Van Winkle-like nap for the past five years?

oldman1015

Quote from: Hogopolis on September 11, 2017, 09:16:24 am
I spend my own money on Arkansas.   Tickets and concessions and parking.   Yearly donations to help me get a decent seat.   For me, and most fans, doing that represents a significant commitment of my finances.   I'm just saying there are people who love Arkansas Football as much as I do who have collectively billions at their disposal.   $15.4 million buyout will not save his job if things don't change soon. 
Do you really believe 15 mill is petty cash to anyone?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

AirWarren

Quote from: Hogopolis on September 11, 2017, 09:16:24 am

If you're the idiot spending money on this product then why in the world would the "big money" Arkansas?

Make no mistake. Jones is forever a razorback. But his assets and money is delegated for more important things.

So, I hope your "donation" makes your decent seat feel awesome you yutz.

Lanny

Quote from: Hogopolis on September 11, 2017, 09:03:16 am
$15.4 million is petty cash to Jerry.  He will be in his box in two weeks to watch first hand the embarrassment that is Razorback Football.   I'm hoping he has his check book on him and makes a donation to the foundation!!!  There are enough very wealthy former hogs a $15.4 million buyout should not be a problem.  Jerry, Jim Lindsey.  Maybe Tyson chicken and the Walmart family will chip in.  Bill Clinton even.   Point being, if things don't change very soon not even that buyout will save coach B's job. 
I doubt anyone is going to pay that kind of buyout for a football coach.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

gchamblee

MJ2

There are 3 Million Arkansans, that would only be $5 per person.    I would gladly chip in $100 - that would take care of me and 19 less privileged, angry, Hog fans.

hamARchy in the USA

Who would trust their $15M in Jeff Long's hands ?

jkstock04

Quote from: oldman1015 on September 11, 2017, 09:23:30 am
Do you really believe 15 mill is petty cash to anyone?
My thoughts as well...lol 15 million plus petty cash. Get real with that.

What people don't understand is how the $$$ flows in and out with business. It's not like Jerry Jones has 10 billion dollars sitting in his personal bank account like the OP makes it sound.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hawganatic

There's a reason why Jerry Jones has so much money.  He didn't waste it on buyouts.

Now a possibility is Jones tells Beliema he has a place in the Cowboy's organization, and a chance to rehabilitate his career (which BB should be very concerned about right now), if he takes a reduced buyout.

About the only way Jones is going to get involved.

Polecat

Bigger question: How did the university and Jeff Long get themselves into a position where the buyout is so high? Sounds like poor negotiating. Puts the university in a tough spot
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

hawganatic

Quote from: Polecat on September 11, 2017, 09:39:42 am
Bigger question: How did the university and Jeff Long get themselves into a position where the buyout is so high? Sounds like poor negotiating. Puts the university in a tough spot

It probably goes back to the contract Long gave Petrino.  They put the huge buyout (for Petrino and the school) to show recruits he was staying with Arkansas for a while.  Appears that Long, for some reason, thought it was a good idea with Beliema also.

The one good thing that can come from it is it makes Arkansas a more attractive job for the next coach.   

mizzouman

With all this buyout talk, who ya gonna get that's better than CBB now?

PLHawg

Quote from: mizzouman on September 11, 2017, 09:45:32 am

Pretty much anyone would be better than BB right now.

HoggieStyle

Getting a whole lot easier not to spend mine.

Except for that taxpayer portion that I can't really get out of paying....

HardCore

Quote from: gchamblee on September 11, 2017, 09:29:44 am

I'll donate.  I would pay a tax initiative to help with the buyout.  Anything to get this AD and HC the hell out of here.  This AD put us in this position, he should be fired this week.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

AirWarren

Quote from: MJ2 on September 11, 2017, 09:30:56 am
There are 3 Million Arkansans, that would only be $5 per person.    I would gladly chip in $100 - that would take care of me and 19 less privileged, angry, Hog fans.

Incorrect.

There are 525,032 people in northwest Arkansas that care. They can pony it up.

The rest of us in central and south Arkansas are content with watching that program up there burn to the ground since y'all got it under control up there.

dhizzle

This whole thing has a feel of Iowa football. Their coach is being a paid a lot of money and every 4 or 5 years he has a good season 10 or 11 wins. Then for 4 or 5 years he wins 5 to 7 games. All it takes is one good season then the coach gets and an extension.

AirWarren

Quote from: dhizzle on September 11, 2017, 09:55:59 am
This whole thing has a feel of Iowa football. Their coach is being a paid a lot of money and every 4 or 5 years he has a good season 10 or 11 wins. Then for 4 or 5 years he wins 5 to 7 games. All it takes is one good season then the coach gets and an extension.

That's because we are Iowa. Both programs are similar. Bad recruiting base. And surrounded by slow white folks.

cram224

So true.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hobhog on September 11, 2017, 09:14:14 am

Besides- he didn't get rich doing stupid things with his money.
LMAO! 2 games?! Dude's record is 31%.....

HIRE VENABLES already and make GoHogs happy.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hei5manhog

I think he might jump ship if he can salvage even 6 wins. That's enough to convince someone it's not a disaster and able to grab 5 more years somewhere else. Not sure where we'd be at that point.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

dhizzle

You're right Coach B resume was a pretty damn good before coming to Arkansas. It was a great hire at the time, but it doesn't seem to be working. Most likely will not find someone else with the same kind of resume. However, for Arkansas to win I believe you need a coach that has a run and gun offense. That is the only offense I've seen at Arkansas that wins 10 games season. I personally do not like that kind of offense, but you have to what you have to do to win.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hei5manhog on September 11, 2017, 10:04:42 am
I think he might jump ship if he can salvage even 6 wins. That's enough to convince someone it's not a disaster and able to grab 5 more years somewhere else. Not sure where we'd be at that point.
he can say Jen wanted to go home and take over in Tampa for Kiffin, who will be on to the next one after this year. Not a good one, mind you, but the next one.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Venables. McIntyre. Aranda. PATTERSON.

razorcash2

Bill Clinton? Do wha?

He aint got that kinda money.

Hogs-n-Roses

Jerry isn't gonna do anything like what is suggested here. He helps the U of A in many many ways. This isn't one of them.

hei5manhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 11, 2017, 10:05:37 am
he can say Jen wanted to go home and take over in Tampa for Kiffin, who will be on to the next one after this year. Not a good one, mind you, but the next one.

Man that'd be a pretty far fall for someone without scandal attached. Maybe Kansas State, his old mentor?? They are rolling so probably not. I think he'll go north though.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

oldhog63

It was discussed in another thread. At this point, just about anyone with minimal football knowledge couldn't do any worse.

So, hire that D3 guy at $200k/year for 4 years. We recoup the $15mil over those 4 years. If he works out, we are ahead of the game. If it doesn't, we are at base $0.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 11, 2017, 10:09:49 am
Jerry isn't gonna do anything like what is suggested here. He helps the U of A in many many ways. This isn't one of them.
bullcrap. Jerry is old and wants to see another great Hog season before he goes. I aint sayin he'd fork over the whole 15 million, but I bet he'd drop 5 milly

grayhawg

There are a couple around.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hei5manhog on September 11, 2017, 10:10:02 am
Man that'd be a pretty far fall for someone without scandal attached. Maybe Kansas State, his old mentor?? They are rolling so probably not. I think he'll go north though.
good call. somebody contact Snyder and get the ball rolling. That old man has to be tired. I dont even say this jokingly and ya'll know how I feel about him, but, I would literally be happy af if Houston Nutt took over for fatbert at this point.

Hogwild

Quote from: dhizzle on September 11, 2017, 09:55:59 am

The difference is Iowa gave their coach his extension after going 12-0 (8-0), Long gave his coach that buyout after he went 7-6 (2-6)

Boog41

Quote from: Polecat on September 11, 2017, 09:39:42 am

Buyouts are for two reasons. One, to get a name coach, you have to offer them security and assured time. Two, it shows recruits that this coach is going to be there should I commit to them.

There is so much griping about this, but it is a smart business decision and it also keeps AD's from making rash, knee jerk decisions.

Polecat

Quote from: Hogwild on September 11, 2017, 10:20:11 am
The difference is Iowa gave their coach his extension after going 12-0 (8-0), Long gave his coach that buyout after he went 7-6 (2-6)

A good friend of mine is an Iowa alum and huge fan. While the Hogs have the advantage with some big moments in the 1960's, the two programs are eerily similar in current status.
.500 record most years, low level bowl, recruiting difficulties, losing games they should win, big upset over ranked teams every now and then.
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Sho Nuff

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 11, 2017, 10:11:13 am
bullcrap. Jerry is old and wants to see another great Hog season before he goes. I aint sayin he'd fork over the whole 15 million, but I bet he'd drop 5 milly
He's gonna help but he isn't gonna pump out 5 or 15 or however many million for this area. He'll spend 10 mil on a new facility or send his jet to do this or that or put a few more kids thru school this year(which he does many each year).

ricepig

Quote from: Hogopolis on September 11, 2017, 09:03:16 am

Jerry has his own coach's to fire, he isn't about to muddle into a firing at the UofA. The Walton's don't put their money into athletics, they are interested in their philosophical interests. John Tyson left the board early several years ago over philosophical differences, and Tyson the company isn't going to put corporate money into anything outside of advertising. Lindsey doesn't have that kind of money.

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 11, 2017, 10:11:13 am

Wrong, I know this as a fact.

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on September 11, 2017, 10:06:28 am
Venables. McIntyre. Aranda. PATTERSON.

We threw the kitchen sink at Patterson, he wasn't interested.

lahawg1

Those people that everyone is talking about to pony up the buyout money don't have to spend a penny. If they tell JL and UA that there will not be any more donations made until a change is made then JL would listen at that point. Problem solved.

hobhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 11, 2017, 09:22:42 am
Two games?  Has Jerry been taking a Rip Van Winkle-like nap for the past five years?

Have you followed the Cowboys at all? Jason Garrett has had a long rope. Powers that be are not as emotional as some would like......

East TN HAWG

Fans complain and want someone else to spend their money on buyouts.  Oh this is chump change for Waltons, Tysons, Lindseys, Stephens of the world, but they never put up a few thousand of their own money for the buyout. 

Fans just think that these boosters are frivolous with their money.  1st generation entrepreneurs have money for a reason, and they do not spend on these type causes.  They might spend a few thousand for skyboxes etc, but they can write that off as a business expense (entertainment.)

Were stuck with what we have until the buyout becomes less than the revenue lost associated with losing games and the risk of change.  Its that simple.   

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on September 11, 2017, 11:38:50 am
Have you followed the Cowboys at all? Jason Garrett has had a long rope. Powers that be are not as emotional as some would like......

Yeah, some seem to forget how many playoff games the Cowboys have won in the past 20 years.

hobhog

Quote from: MJ2 on September 11, 2017, 09:30:56 am

Beat the rush. Send your money up there now.