Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lets be honest. Houston Nutt was a better coach than Bielema

Started by Ben, September 09, 2017, 06:09:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigHog396

Quote from: BroyledNutts on September 09, 2017, 06:31:24 pm
While we're being honest, let's be honest about a couple other things ...

The SEC during Nutt's tenure was nowhere close to what it is today...
Then as now, recruiting classes still matter more than scheme or game plan...
Arkansas under Houston Nutt today would yield the same results as Brett Bielema today...
Arkansas is what they've always been...a team of average, to slightly above average talent capable of 6-8 wins in a given year, with the occasional uptick in talent that yields a couple more wins, along with the occasional down turn that yields a couple more losses per year.

These are not slights against the program, by the way - they're realities that we either accept or refute. It doesn't matter who the university hires to coach Arkansas Football - talent will always dictate results and records...and the few coaches that have a track record of bringing high level talent to a football program already have jobs they like...also, we as fans should understand that even those coaches might not be able to recruit high level talent to come to Arkansas.
Try looking at facts, if you want to be honest.

Maybe you are not old enough to remember how good Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, etc, etc, etc were while Nutt was here.  Was the conference as good at the bottom, as it is now, probably not, but don't act like the top of the league wasn't every bit as good then as it is now.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 09, 2017, 06:34:07 pm
All who wanted Bobby Fired how do you like it now!
I NEVER wanted the best coach since JFB to be fired. It was the biggest knee-jerk reaction ever in the history of UA athletics. Like I said, people who say that CBP couldn't have recruited because of his affair have no clue about human nature. Humans are far from elephants, our short term memory is at best, bad. People would have forgotten about the whole incident in less than a month. But no, we had/have an AD who spun off into outer space because Petrino wouldn't give him details about the affair. To hell with Jeff Long.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

majp51

Quote from: Ben on September 09, 2017, 06:09:04 pm
Had a better defense, recruited better, beat Saban twice, knocked off a couple top 5-10 teams, overall had better talent. Sure he underachieved, but at least he could reach 9 wins.

Just no. Nutt played when the SEC East was ascendant and the SEC West was down.

Mike Shula was replaced with Nick Saban
Sylvestor Croom was replaced with Dan Mullen
Ole Miss got better, through cheating, but still got better.

Now I'm not saying that Bielema is clearly better, but he's not clearly worse either.

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

seasonhog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on September 09, 2017, 06:40:56 pm
I NEVER wanted the best coach since JFB to be fired. It was the biggest knee-jerk reaction ever in the history of UA athletics. Like I said, people who say that CBP couldn't have recruited because of his affair have no clue about human nature. Humans are far from elephants, our short term memory is at best, bad. People would have forgotten about the whole incident in less than a month. But no, we had/have an AD who spun off into outer space because Petrino wouldn't give him details about the affair. To hell with Jeff Long.

THIS!

hoglady

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 09, 2017, 06:34:07 pm
All who wanted Bobby Fired how do you like it now!

I watched Bobby's team before the Arkansas game.
They made a lot of mistakes, have a few problems on the Oline, and a new DC.
But his guys came back on the field after mistakes playing hard and fighting to win the game.
And they did win. It was fun to watch.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Ex-Trumpet

It's kinda like which tastes worse, dog darn or cat darn?

And given the way the dog cleans up the litter box, I'd guess cat darn tastes better.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hoglady

This is where I've always been on that issue.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on September 09, 2017, 06:44:53 pm
I watched Bobby's team before the Arkansas game.
They made a lot of mistakes, have a few problems on the Oline, and a new DC.
But his guys came back on the field after mistakes playing hard and fighting to win the game.
And they did win. It was fun to watch.

Bobby deserved to be fired for what he did and how he treated people.  His team today acted like a holes. UNC just not good enough to put him in his place.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

majp51

Looking back with 20/20 hindsight, I still think the bigger issue was falling in love with an established coach who would consider a lateral move. We shouldn't have been excited, we should have been concerned. But just like the people here who always chalk up MSU as an auto-win (in every sport) , there was that feeling of Arkansas being more like Alabama than Arkansas has ever been.

JIHawg

The big difference, Hootie/Bozo is going to Hell, Bielema is going to Heaven.

Ben

Quote from: majp51 on September 09, 2017, 06:43:05 pm
Just no. Nutt played when the SEC East was ascendant and the SEC West was down.

Mike Shula was replaced with Nick Saban
Sylvestor Croom was replaced with Dan Mullen
Ole Miss got better, through cheating, but still got better.

Now I'm not saying that Bielema is clearly better, but he's not clearly worse either.
and even with that, Nutt still had more Top 25 wins in his 4 years. Not only that but that just further shows that firing BP was a bad idea, because Bobby had us in the Top 3 while playing in the more competitive SEC
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: majp51 on September 09, 2017, 06:49:58 pm

Looking back with 20/20 hindsight, I still think the bigger issue was falling in love with an established coach who would consider a lateral move. We shouldn't have been excited, we should have been concerned. But just like the people here who always chalk up MSU as an auto-win (in every sport) , there was that feeling of Arkansas being more like Alabama than Arkansas has ever been.
No. Relieved and surprised an established coach would step into our situation.  Dumb.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hoggie17

Quote from: popcornhog on September 09, 2017, 06:20:40 pm
Sort of. The SEC was in the beginning of it's most dominant period at the end of Nutt's tenure and it was at the end of its most dominant stretch at the beginning of Bielema's tenure. But yeah, overall stronger on average during Bielema's years.

But Bielema is .312 in conference. That's cellar dweller stuff.
BP won 11 games his last year, he didn't make excuses about teams being better, he beat 'em.

depressed_fan

Sure I don't think there's any doubt that Nutt was a better coach. The guy was 42-38 in SEC play and he only lost to 2 nonconference teams in the regular season; Texas 1-1, and Southern Cal 0-2 when So cal was playing for the NC.

Of course the conference is stronger now but this was not a conference game either. But Nutt in his fifth year here, with all his own players, doesn't lose this ball game in this fashion at home.  The game may have been ugly and left some to be desired, but you're a fool if you think Nutt in year 5, or any year, loses this game 28-7 at home to this team.

Hog Diddy

Houston is just like Bielema. Both behind the learning curve of modern day college football.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: depressed_fan on September 09, 2017, 06:54:45 pm
Sure I don't think there's any doubt that Nutt was a better coach. The guy was 42-38 in SEC play and he only lost to 2 nonconference teams in the regular season; Texas 1-1, and Southern Cal 0-2 when So cal was playing for the NC.

Of course the conference is stronger now but this was not a conference game either. But Nutt in his fifth year here, with all his own players, doesn't lose this ball game in this fashion at home.  The game may have been ugly and left some to be desired, but you're a fool if you think Nutt in year 5, or any year, loses this game 28-7 at home to this team.

???
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Atlhogfan1

Nutt took over a team ready to win in a weaker conference.  Then he got MJ and then DMac.  Poor leader.  Poor person.  Should have been fired before he was. He has caused 2 ADs and chancellors to lose their jobs.  You have to be a complete clueless d a to promote his ability. 

BB isn't getting it done either.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 09, 2017, 06:58:08 pm
Nutt took over a team ready to win in a weaker conference.  Then he got MJ and then DMac.  Poor leader.  Poor person.  Should have been fired before he was. He has caused 2 ADs and chancellors to lose their jobs.  You have to be a complete clueless d a to promote his ability. 

BB isn't getting it done either.

The fact that the 2 are even being compared after the way our team performed - regardless of the outcome and how good TCU is supposed to be - is a STRONG statement about where this program is.

And who does the responsibility ultimately belong too?

Jeff Long has to go.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

pignosticator

They are both the same coach . The most boring game I've ever seen, was coached by those two.
Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football.

— John Heisman (1869–1936), legendary football coach for whom the Heisman Trophy is named

HogRealism

Was never a Houston fan but stats don't lie Houston was 32-18 at this point after the first 2 games of his fifth season and B is 26-27 and 10-22 in SEC play... The recruiting, the staff and player development all lays at B's feet and we are much worse at this point in Bielema's tenure than in Houston Nutt's...Embarrassing for the state and the SEC

Ben

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 09, 2017, 06:58:08 pm
you are simply in denial. Arkansas had 3 4-7 seasons in the 4 seasons before Nutt came, including back to back 4-7 seasons in 96 and 97. So he didn't inherit some super team like people are trying to make out. Bielema inherited a 4-8 team and got worse (went 3-9). Point is, weither the SEC was weaker or not, Nutt still won more games, beat more Top 25 teams, and finished in the Polls twice in his first 4 years at Arkansas in comparison to Bielema's first 4 in Arkansas. He also won 9 games and took Arkansas to the SEC title game in his 5th year. And those are facts
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

HoggyCat

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 09, 2017, 06:14:01 pm
Knee-jerk hating BB right now is easy.  Nutt had so many worse moments than this, particularly non-game situations.  You don't have proper perspective.

That's the problem with hog fans.  To act like "this" is the only time we've laid an egg or given wins away.  Ernie's roommate should be 15+ wins better.

Remember auburn LAST YEAR???
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 09, 2017, 07:06:36 pm
The fact that the 2 are even being compared after the way our team performed - regardless of the outcome and how good TCU is supposed to be - is a STRONG statement about where this program is.

And who does the responsibility ultimately belong too?

Jeff Long has to go.
Agree on BB. The Long stuff is dumb.

3kgthog

When looking at the way this roster is built, I'd take Nutt. He could win 7+ with three backs this decent.

Kevin

Nutt had some home grown talent that we have not seen since
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on September 09, 2017, 07:18:22 pm
Agree on BB. The Long stuff is dumb.

Honest question:  How is he helping the football program win?

98hogs

Quote from: 98hogs on September 09, 2017, 07:20:50 pm
YES he was!  But Bobby smoked them both!

Actually, Nutt beat BP their first match up.  That day felt much like this one.

hogcard1964

HawgWyld

Amen.

Furthermore, had Petrino remained, we Razorbacks fans wouldn't be arguing over which of two awful coaches was worse.

Hoggie17

Quote from: HawgWyld on September 09, 2017, 07:33:58 pm
Amen.

Furthermore, had Petrino remained, we Razorbacks fans wouldn't be arguing over which of two awful coaches was worse.
Had BP stayed we would be in the top 15 maybe the top 5.

cypert2

Pretty sad we have to argue over who was better, BB or Nutt.
Swinging on the two and the four.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: popcornhog on September 09, 2017, 06:11:47 pm
Hating Nutt is easy. I think most of us would take BB over Nutt, but Nutt was a better coach than Bielema.

Nutt had the ability to make the hate personal as well as professional but there were limitless rational reason to hate Nutt's program as well as the man.

Nutt could recruit enough talent to survive in the SEC with the notable exception of QB.  He wasn't much on player development but that only really hurt at QB where every recruit regressed save for maybe Matt Jones who was more athlete than QB.  With a team Ford built in a time when Bama was down he was just good enough to get a little consideration as a challenger in 1999 but he quickly demonstrated that was wishful thinking.

Compounding that is the years questionable play calling, sideline and game mismanagement of often epic proportions, reprehensible personal character the fact that he manipulated JFB's declining ability to attract new coaches into a contractual free pass requiring no performance on his part and that he unsuccessfully sued his most recent school for character assassination and remains unemployable for half a decade after being fired.

Because of the personal stuff in the HDN era CBB will never fall to the level of Houston Dale Nutt and buyout or not he will never be as secure as Nutt was in JFBs final years and the building frustration with the program will blow back on Long as much as CBB if he can't succeed in the SEC better than his first five years of the program.

It was that job security in the face of incompetence that made sure Nutt would be hated so much that anything his teams did accomplish was tainted by the sense of futility surrounding the program that whatever the players did would be offset by coaching stupidity.

CBB's failure in the SEC is looking to be more conventional with too few players with too little talent unable to execute a mostly rational game plan.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: cypert2 on September 09, 2017, 07:47:27 pm
Pretty sad we have to argue over who was better, BB or Nutt.

Lol, even sadder that there really is no argument!!  :)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

gchamblee

popcornhog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 09, 2017, 06:54:32 pm
BP won 11 games his last year, he didn't make excuses about teams being better, he beat 'em.

Right. He was a hell of a coach.

Not sure I follow your point.
WPS

Gonzo

Arguing whether HN or BB is the better coach is like arguing whether Jim Carrey or Jeff Daniels played the smarter moron

Go Hogs!

HardCore

Let's elaborate on that....let's hypothetically say that Nick Saban did the exact (and I mean EXACT) same thing...what do you think Alabama would do?  You all know as well as I that they would swept it under the rug, then burned the rug.  Jeff Long did what he did to benefit himself.  He has set our program back to a potentially irrecoverable state.  He should go. Bielema should agree to a proposed buyout and go.  We need an Arkansas Alumni hired in as AD IMO.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

daprospecta

Quote from: pignosticator on September 09, 2017, 07:06:38 pm
They are both the same coach . The most boring game I've ever seen, was coached by those two.
No they are not. You can call me biased because I played for Houston Nutt. X's and O's may not have been his strong suit but we were fired up for every game. Back then, we would chew a guy out for not practicing hard. We are talking about practice.  This team is lead by a regime that allows quitting.  I feel like this team quit on offense.   Nutt's team would often lose because the talent discrepancy but I dare someone say TCU is more talented than we are.....................Don't worry.................I'll wait.

solitons

Had a better defense, recruited better, beat Saban twice, knocked off a couple top 5-10 teams, overall had better talent. Sure he underachieved, but at least he could reach 9 wins.
hell yes

hogpc

Quote from: Lanny on September 09, 2017, 06:09:29 pm
I'll take Bielema
Is that a personal feeling? As a coach Nutt clearly did a better job than Bielema.

hoglady

Quote from: daprospecta on September 09, 2017, 09:00:13 pm
No they are not. You can call me biased because I played for Houston Nutt. X's and O's may not have been his strong suit but we were fired up for every game. Back then, we would chew a guy out for not practicing hard. We are talking about practice.  This team is lead by a regime that allows quitting.  I feel like this team quit on offense.   Nutt's team would often lose because the talent discrepancy but I dare someone say TCU is more talented than we are.....................Don't worry.................I'll wait.

Someone said it another thread - that TCU has more talent.
I disagree.
They showed more heart and desire to win.
They played harder, were better prepared and better coached.
Not sure I've seen an Arkansas team with less competitive spirit than this offensive unit we've got.

hogpc

That was no knee jerk reaction - BP had to be fired for legal reasons, he is obviously a better coach than BB. I hate what he did/caused him to be fired but have no doubt he had to go.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Coondog Hog

Nutt was able to sign more real playmakers and develop more linemen than Bielema has.  Sam Pittman leaving will be what sinks Brett here.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Youngsta71701

Although I hate to say this. I'm starting to believe it.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"