Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

An outsiders take on your coaching situation

Started by TigerHog93, September 12, 2017, 12:54:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerHog93

Since I'm new to this board I'll introduce myself. I'm from Baton Rouge, been going to LSU games since I was 4 years old and have been to at least 2 games every year since. I moved to LR two years ago for grad school and I started following the Hogs a little bit. You guys have a beautiful state and some nice people. For the record I hope you all win every game (except LSU).

Anyway on the coaching situation. Obviously your administration should wait until the end of the year because you may all very well turn it around. However, if the Hogs lose to A&M, and things start to get ugly even 6-6 or another 7-5, I think they have to pull the plug at the end this year and here's why. Look around the SEC. A&M, Auburn, and Tennessee could all be looking for head coaches within the next year or two and all of those places are more attractive jobs. Arkansas' best bet is to make a quick decision and find someone before other teams around the league start looking for head coaches as well.

I personally don't see why you all can't find a coach that can win 8-9 games a year and compete or get in SEC championship discussion once every 5-6 years with the right guy. Bret is on year 5 and there are no signs of competing for an SEC championship in the near future.

ChitownHawg

And how long did y'all hang onto Les after Saban's recruits were gone? Talk about under achieving.

But thanks for the advice.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hoglady

Quote from: TigerHog93 on September 12, 2017, 12:54:04 am
Since I'm new to this board I'll introduce myself. I'm from Baton Rouge, been going to LSU games since I was 4 years old and have been to at least 2 games every year since. I moved to LR two years ago for grad school and I started following the Hogs a little bit. You guys have a beautiful state and some nice people. For the record I hope you all win every game (except LSU).

Anyway on the coaching situation. Obviously your administration should wait until the end of the year because you may all very well turn it around. However, if the Hogs lose to A&M, and things start to get ugly even 6-6 or another 7-5, I think they have to pull the plug at the end this year and here's why. Look around the SEC. A&M, Auburn, and Tennessee could all be looking for head coaches within the next year or two and all of those places are more attractive jobs. Arkansas' best bet is to make a quick decision and find someone before other teams around the league start looking for head coaches as well.

I personally don't see why you all can't find a coach that can win 8-9 games a year and compete or get in SEC championship discussion once every 5-6 years with the right guy. Bret is on year 5 and there are no signs of competing for an SEC championship in the near future.

I used to live in BR - went to Tara High School back in the mid 70's.
Still have friends there.
I'm the opposite of you - I pull for LSU in every game except when they play the Hogs.
Welcome to Hogville.
(Bielema and SEC Championship don't belong in the same sentence at this point. A winning SEC record would be a miracle)
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

MultipleScoreGasms

Opinion looks similar to what others on this board have observed.  I think it's highly possible that aTm will also be looking for a coach "this" year, but maybe Sumlin pulls it out.  Would hate to be competing with them in a coaching search.  Tennessee is also possible, but they are 2-0 so far.  I would say their run is easier because they are in the East, but they seem to have a tougher draw this year.  UGA, SC, KY, and Vandy may all be better this year.  Add in Bama and LSU, and they don't have a "cake walk."  I certainly wouldn't want to compete against them and aTm for a coach, so I am hoping they do well.

Steef

Welcome. Good post.

I dont disagree that we probably need a new coach. Its problematic for us to fire him this year, due to his buyout.

Either way, there are coaching openings every year, with whom we will have to compete. Outside of the SEC, there's always a Notre Dame or some other "destination" program that gets first choice. Its unlikely we would ever be at the top of the list.

It is what it is.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: zsanfusa on September 12, 2017, 01:18:07 am
I see a valid and rational opinion. Don't expect those here to listen to what they consider "fake news." Welcome and keep posting regardless.

What's different about it?  Same thing everybody is saying except for a few that want or dream of BB being fired today.

riccoar

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on September 12, 2017, 06:56:34 am
What's different about it?  Same thing everybody is saying except for a few that want or dream of BB being fired today.
He's not getting fired today, in two weeks, or at the end of the season.  Bielema is safe for 2017 and will be here in 2018.  Sooner or later people are going to start realizing that Jeff Long's number one concern is not on the field, but in the classroom.

RazorbackAlways

A TigerHog? A wild, strange kind of animal. Very rare for sure. Maybe extinct?

You make a good point. Question is, do you jump first? Or let everyone else play their highest card first?

BigE_23

Thanks for the post! Coach O has really changed the way I feel about LSU. I root for that guy!!

IMO, your post is spot on. What I can't seem to get is how fans of other teams get this, but our own fans can't seem to comprehend this level of logic. I guess it just proves the old saying, "we can't see the forest for the trees."

PorkRinds

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 12, 2017, 07:20:18 am
Thanks for the post! Coach O has really changed the way I feel about LSU. I root for that guy!!

IMO, your post is spot on. What I can't seem to get is how fans of other teams get this, but our own fans can't seem to comprehend this level of logic. I guess it just proves the old saying, "we can't see the forest for the trees."

I couldn't root for LSU if Jesus Christ himself were their coach.

RazorbackAlways

hogcard1964

Good post and you're correct.

There's no chance of us competing for an SEC West title while he's here.

But I agree, we have to wait until the end of the year.  That is barring him somehow finding a way to lose the next two.   

HoggyCat

Question.  What's he gonna "turn it baround" to??  Yet ANOTHER 6-6 season???  At what point do we cut our losses??? It's every single year.

What time of year was it LSU dismissed Miles??
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

3kgthog

Quote from: riccoar on September 12, 2017, 07:04:43 am
He's not getting fired today, in two weeks, or at the end of the season.  Bielema is safe for 2017 and will be here in 2018.  Sooner or later people are going to start realizing that Jeff Long's number one concern is not on the field, but in the classroom.

But Jeff has bosses and all may not share his Ho-hum approach to the win-loss record. When's the last time you saw someone pay to watch our football players walk across a stage at graduation? If I'm not mistaken, his insistence on the NEZ expansion already created one "enemy" on the BOT. Having empty suites and club seats is likely to create more.

If Jeff learned nothing after watching the end of Nutt unfold from afar, he might want to educate himself on how difficult his job is going to be once an unhappy Hog fanbase gets rolling.

go hogues

Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Tennessee

All probable jobs that will be open this season and all more attractive jobs than UA. Even if we do want to hire a new guy, we'll have to fight these three (and more from outside the conference). Not good
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

jgphillips3

There is no turning this thing around.  Bielema will never hit double digit wins here unless the entire West collapses.  It's too early to fire him but it's not too early to start compiling a list of potential replacements.

DeltaBoy

The we need to contact the BOT and get Long Canned.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawgtime

Quote from: jgphillips3 on September 12, 2017, 08:03:12 am
There is no turning this thing around.  Bielema will never hit double digit wins here unless the entire West collapses.  It's too early to fire him but it's not too early to start compiling a list of potential replacements.

who should be on our Christmas list of coaches?  I want someone who will bring in the coaches to WIN the recruits.  That coach should employ a team of coaches that will  have a stifling defense that hits HARD and an offense that will keep the other team guessing and can score in a hurry!  if the defense is FUN the recruits will want to come and play.  if we can score and use many weapons, all kinds of offensive STARs will want to be on campus.

go HOGS, doesn't hurt to dream....

hogcard1964

Quote from: hawgtime on September 12, 2017, 08:36:06 am
who should be on our Christmas list of coaches?  I want someone who will bring in the coaches to WIN the recruits.  That coach should employ a team of coaches that will  have a stifling defense that hits HARD and an offense that will keep the other team guessing and can score in a hurry!  if the defense is FUN the recruits will want to come and play.  if we can score and use many weapons, all kinds of offensive STARs will want to be on campus.

go HOGS, doesn't hurt to dream....

Mike Bobo!

Hogwild

However, if the Hogs lose to A&M, and things start to get ugly even 6-6 or another 7-5,

If we lose to A&M, we aren't getting to 6 or 7 wins.

NoogaHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 12, 2017, 08:37:27 am
Mike Bobo!

"Run the dang ball, Bobo!" Living in GA, I heard that endlessly. He seemed to like to pass in the second half when the run was working (seems to be a common trait among coaches, doesn't it?) and not put teams away. (like Childs, please)

I'm not sure if he would be an improvement. But who knows?
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

hobhog

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 12, 2017, 07:20:18 am

Quit reading when he said he roots for LSU....

LZH

Quote from: go hogues on September 12, 2017, 08:00:57 am
Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Tennessee

All probable jobs that will be open this season and all more attractive jobs than UA. Even if we do want to hire a new guy, we'll have to fight these three (and more from outside the conference). Not good

Since when did Ole Miss become a better job than Arkansas?

al_pigcino

Quote from: ChitownHawg on September 12, 2017, 01:00:56 am
And how long did y'all hang onto Les after Saban's recruits were gone? Talk about under achieving.

lmao @ Hogville.  Only there can we call a coach like Les Miles an underachiever.
Overall   141–55
Bowls   8–6
Championships
1 National (2007)
2 SEC (2007, 2011)
3 SEC Western Division (2005, 2007, 2011)

77% win percentage while in the SEC..........

EastexHawg

Quote from: Hogwild on September 12, 2017, 08:48:45 am

It would be problematic.  This is by far the worst A&M team the Hogs will have faced since resuming the series.  They have no QB, hence they couldn't score in a whorehouse with a fistful of $50s.

Boarsnest

Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Tennessee

I sure hope Bret is writing love letters to the AD's at each of these schools.

NashvilleHog

Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Tennessee

You do know that Ole Miss is in front of the Council on Infractions, as we speak?  There is no way, no how that they are a better job than Arkansas...especially with them looking down the barrel of crippling NCAA sanctions that will set them back a decade. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

Ex-Trumpet

I disagree.  JL's number one concern is looking back at him in the mirror.  He and UA will both be better off when he takes his next gig.  I wish him luck!

I haven't always felt this way; I've been a JL supporter, thinking his visibility has been great for the Hogs.  I realize now that it's been great for JL.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

WOOPIGMAN

WE GOTTA FIRE HIM BO! IM SICK OF THE MEDIOCRITY, THROW THE BANK AT SOMEBODY AND BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS! WOO PIG AND YOU'RE ALL IDIOTS FOR WANTING LEACH, HE'S MEDIOCRE, JUST LIKE YOU GUYS AND YOUR DA LOSER LIFES, YOU'RE EITHER A WINNER OR A LOSER AND YOU WONT WIN UNTIL YOU GET A WINNER! IDIOTS! GOD BLESS AMERICA AND SHUTUP!

::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ??? ??? ??? 8) 8) 8) 8) :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

al_pigcino

Quote from: WOOPIGMAN on September 12, 2017, 10:37:29 am
WE GOTTA FIRE HIM BO! IM SICK OF THE MEDIOCRITY, THROW THE BANK AT SOMEBODY AND BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS! WOO PIG AND YOU'RE ALL IDIOTS FOR WANTING LEACH, HE'S MEDIOCRE, JUST LIKE YOU GUYS AND YOUR DA LOSER LIFES, YOU'RE EITHER A WINNER OR A LOSER AND YOU WONT WIN UNTIL YOU GET A WINNER! IDIOTS! GOD BLESS AMERICA AND SHUTUP!

::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ??? ??? ??? 8) 8) 8) 8) :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
Ricky Bobby?

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hoglady on September 12, 2017, 01:13:38 am
I used to live in BR - went to Tara High School back in the mid 70's.
Still have friends there.
I'm the opposite of you - I pull for LSU in every game except when they play the Hogs.
Welcome to Hogville.
(Bielema and SEC Championship don't belong in the same sentence at this point. A winning SEC record would be a miracle)

We actually had a winning SEC record in 2015.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: WOOPIGMAN on September 12, 2017, 10:37:29 am

Eddie from Clarksville?

PLHawg

The reality is that Bielema knows his days are numbered here, if not this year then next year.  You think his players don't know it as well?  I know from experience when you have one foot out the door at a present employer it hurts your performance, psychologically you're just not all there.  Don't expect any miracles here, it's not gonna happen - he's gonna collect his paychecks until it's time for him to leave and that is that.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure CBB has ego and pride, and doesn't want to look like damaged goods to the rest of the coaching profession but you can tell by his demeanor on the sideline that he's just not into it.  One other thing, and I say this in all seriousness, I'm worried about his health.  He is way overweight, and the stress of his profession, hours worked, lack of sleep has to be taking a toll on him. 

Razor1997

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 12, 2017, 10:52:58 am

True, but like she said, it took a miracle (specifically, the Hunter Henry Heave on 4th and 25)

Porkette

Quote from: LZH on September 12, 2017, 09:33:19 am

I guess it's a side note in this discussion, but that's exactly what I was thinking. Ole Miss is nowhere close to being a better job. They are in better recruiting territory, but have to compete with Miss State and others. Even before the Hugh Freeze mess, they are certainly not a more successful program than Arkansas nor an easier place to win.
GO HOGS GO!

Laughing Hog

Quote from: NoogaHog on September 12, 2017, 08:58:51 am
"Run the dang ball, Bobo!" Living in GA, I heard that endlessly. He seemed to like to pass in the second half when the run was working (seems to be a common trait among coaches, doesn't it?) and not put teams away. (like Childs, please)

I'm not sure if he would be an improvement. But who knows?

Yeah, I heard a lot of "BoBo gotta GoGo" as well..................

Whoever we get, we need a Super recruiter who can get the Jimmies and the Joe's. He needs to be capable of getting assistants who can recruit as well.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: LZH on September 12, 2017, 09:33:19 am

It's one of those dirty little secrets that coaches want to go to a program that has shown an interest in winning.

bondhue

Quote from: PLHawg on September 12, 2017, 11:00:02 am
hours worked, lack of sleep has to be taking a toll on him.
I may be wrong but that's not the impression I get.  Flip flops and shorts, cool laid back attitude and a five course meal.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

hoglady

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 12, 2017, 10:52:58 am

Judging this team on the way they've played so far this year - it'd be a miracle to have a winning SEC record.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Mo_Better_Hogs

I miss the days of the GOOD non-hog posters. Welcome TH93.

Porkchop#1

Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Tennessee

Where'd you come up with those are better jobs than ours?  Not true.

We used to nearly always beat A&M, before Bert got here anyways. Same for Ole Miss, even Bert beats them.  And we beat the Hound dogs our last game with them.

JOKERHOG

Texas A&M
Ole Miss
Tennessee

Ole Miss is not a better job.  The other two aren't much better
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Cletus

Quote from: NashvilleHog on September 12, 2017, 10:12:52 am
You do know that Ole Miss is in front of the Council on Infractions, as we speak?  There is no way, no how that they are a better job than Arkansas...especially with them looking down the barrel of crippling NCAA sanctions that will set them back a decade. 

They'll probably end up hiring a young, hungry coach that will be the next Saban, knowing our luck.
See, what had happened was........

razorsharptusk

Any good coach out there right now looking for a job knows that these other schools are going to possibly be looking for another coach as well.  For a great coach looking for an opportunity, the field is fixing to be ripe.

However, I don't think Gus is on the hot seat.  His O line struggled, but that Clemson D line is a beast and they are the number 3 team in the country.  Far cry from what we lost to. 
GO HOGS!!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Hogwild on September 12, 2017, 08:48:45 am
Easily can get 6 wins if we lose to A&M.

NM St and Coastal Carolina will make 3 wins. Miss St at home is likely a win. Missouri at home is likely a win, assuming they do not throw for 500 yards. That is 5 wins. A 6 win season will depend on winning 1 SEC road game: either Ole Miss or SC.

In preseason, I predicted 6-6 because I thought they would go 3-5 in SEC and lose to TCU. I also said 5-7 is a ton more likely than 7-5.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.