Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LOL Tennessee

Started by -Blu, May 01, 2015, 10:08:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

-Blu

Cunzo Martin at Cal just landed another 5-star in Jaylen Brown, they currently have the #3 rated class.  Probably a lock to be projected as a top 5 team for next year.

Tennessee basically ran Martin off before they even let him finish the season, and he ended up making a sweet 16, now turning Cal into a top program.  Just shows you that never know what you had until it's gone.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: -Blu on May 01, 2015, 10:08:15 pm
Cunzo Martin at Cal just landed another 5-star in Jaylen Brown, they currently have the #3 rated class.  Probably a lock to be projected as a top 5 team for next year.

Tennessee basically ran Martin off before they even let him finish the season, and he ended up making a sweet 16, now turning Cal into a top program.  Just shows you that never know what you had until it's gone.
Does Cal still have Jabari Bird?
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

-Blu

Quote from: Hogfan991 on May 01, 2015, 10:14:18 pm
Does Cal still have Jabari Bird?

Yep, and Tyrone Wallace as well.  Plus a couple of good transfers, to add to that #3 class.  They are going to be NASTY next year.

Arazorbackguy1

What about Slapstick Johnson?
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

latrops

Quote from: -Blu on May 01, 2015, 10:08:15 pm

Well, if he recruited at Tennessee like he is at Cal.....

rlreev01

Tennessee is a train wreck right now.  Martin is not stupid,  He saw the writing on the wall.  Then, a mistake by a poorly researched AD on the fat boy, hasd got them further down.  Now, they made the best hire they could by getting an under achieving re-tread. but, that was the best they could do at the time.

All of this is not to mention Bruce Pearl and his antics.

jry04

Quote from: latrops on May 02, 2015, 07:29:48 am
Well, if he recruited at Tennessee like he is at Cal.....

They ran him out of town, so he jumped at the best option. I am not a Cuonzo fan, but he did take them to a Sweet 16 in his third year, and got Jarnell Stokes over us. Once Cuonzo left, a lot of players followed him out the door.

latrops

Quote from: jry04 on May 02, 2015, 03:18:42 pm
They ran him out of town, so he jumped at the best option. I am not a Cuonzo fan, but he did take them to a Sweet 16 in his third year, and got Jarnell Stokes over us. Once Cuonzo left, a lot of players followed him out the door.

His recruiting track record at Tennessee wasn't what it has been at Cal.  I don't know or care whether Tennessee should have let him leave, but he wasn't getting top 5 recruiting classes as a Vol.  His mediocre recruiting was a big reason the fans never really bought in.

HawgAdvocate

Cuanzo landed two 5*s (Jarnell Stokes & Robert Hubbs) during the three seasons he was there. His recruiting was good for where he was, and for how short a time he was there.

He wanted out of there. Living in Pearl's shadow was too much.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jry04

Quote from: latrops on May 02, 2015, 04:22:21 pm
His recruiting track record at Tennessee wasn't what it has been at Cal.  I don't know or care whether Tennessee should have let him leave, but he wasn't getting top 5 recruiting classes as a Vol.  His mediocre recruiting was a big reason the fans never really bought in.
UT fans are some of the most unrealistic fans there are in the SEC, so their opinions are usually pretty far off base. Cuonzo did a pretty solid job recruiting at UT. Hard for anyone in the SEC outside of UK and Florida (when Donovan was the coach) to sign a top 5 class. It can be done, as A&M and LSU are proof this year, and we were a few years ago, but it shouldn't necessarily be expected.

In 3 recruiting classes at UT he signed 2 top 20 players, both 5* recruits. He also signed a 4* in Mostella, and signed Josh Richardson, who was underrated as a recruit, but ended up being an elite player in the league.

I would love for you to explain to me how signing 2 5* players and a guy like Josh Richardson in 3 years is mediocre.

latrops

Quote from: jry04 on May 02, 2015, 04:31:36 pm
UT fans are some of the most unrealistic fans there are in the SEC, so their opinions are usually pretty far off base. Cuonzo did a pretty solid job recruiting at UT. Hard for anyone in the SEC outside of UK and Florida (when Donovan was the coach) to sign a top 5 class. It can be done, as A&M and LSU are proof this year, and we were a few years ago, but it shouldn't necessarily be expected.

In 3 recruiting classes at UT he signed 2 top 20 players, both 5* recruits. He also signed a 4* in Mostella, and signed Josh Richardson, who was underrated as a recruit, but ended up being an elite player in the league.

I would love for you to explain to me how signing 2 5* players and a guy like Josh Richardson in 3 years is mediocre.

In 2010, Pearl signed the 7th ranked class in the nation, according to 247sports.
The 2011 class (partial Pearl, partial Martin?) was ranked 40th.
The 2012 class was ranked 43rd.
The 2013 class was ranked 36th.
The 2014 class (partial Martin, partial Tyndall?) was ranked 43rd.

He did recruit and sign some good players.  His classes didn't rank in the top 5 of the SEC, much less nationally.  He had never signed one top 10 player in his career...and this year he has signed two.  Six months ago nobody thought of Martin as a dynamic recruiter.

jry04

Quote from: latrops on May 02, 2015, 06:50:39 pm
In 2010, Pearl signed the 7th ranked class in the nation, according to 247sports.
The 2011 class (partial Pearl, partial Martin?) was ranked 40th.
The 2012 class was ranked 43rd.
The 2013 class was ranked 36th.
The 2014 class (partial Martin, partial Tyndall?) was ranked 43rd.

He did recruit and sign some good players.  His classes didn't rank in the top 5 of the SEC, much less nationally.  He had never signed one top 10 player in his career...and this year he has signed two.  Six months ago nobody thought of Martin as a dynamic recruiter.

Again, two 5* players in 3 years. Hard to argue with that.

In basketball, recruiting rankings aren't always based on quality. Sometimes it is more quantity. St. John's had a top 5 class a few years ago because they signed 9 players. Only 1 was a top 40 player, and only 1 made the NBA.

In 2012, when UT signed Jarnell Stokes who was a top 20/5* player, look at the team rankings for recruiting. Purdue had 0 top 50 players, but they were top 20 in recruiting. Florida had 0 top 70 players, but they were top 25 in recruiting. There is a reason that there isn't a big deal made over team rankings in basketball like there are in football. I am not saying he is an elite recruiter, but the guy pulled multiple top 20 players in 3 years there and took them to a sweet 16. He wasn't mediocre for most coach's standards.