Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC vs. Big 12

Started by mizzouman, April 29, 2006, 10:14:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mizzouman

Ok, I've read all the responses and I still haven't read anything where Arkansas would be better in the SEC than the Big 12.  I don't understand why the majority of the fans would rather be a nobody in the SEC than have some strong rivalries in the Big 12?????  The SEC does not care about Arkansas.  At least in the Big 12, you can count on some serious games with Texas, A&M, OU, OSU and Mizzou each an every year.  What do you have now????  No real rivalries at all.  The only history you have is with Big 12 teams. 

musiccityhog

Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd

nwarazfan

Quote from: mizzouman on April 30, 2006, 10:00:43 pm
Ok, I've read all the responses and I still haven't read anything where Arkansas would be better in the SEC than the Big 12.  I don't understand why the majority of the fans would rather be a nobody in the SEC than have some strong rivalries in the Big 12?????  The SEC does not care about Arkansas.  At least in the Big 12, you can count on some serious games with Texas, A&M, OU, OSU and Mizzou each an every year.  What do you have now????  No real rivalries at all.  The only history you have is with Big 12 teams. 

Sure.  You really know our history especially football.  Our mascot was only derived from a big victory over LSU about 100 years ago.  Our program was only turned on a pass play against a national powerhouse at the time Ole Miss over 50 years ago.  Our school's longest winning streak and chance at a 2nd straight NC was ended by LSU in the 60s.  Bear Bryant won his last NC vs the Hogs in the 79 Sugar Bowl.  Sure, no history with SEC teams.

Porky OLeary

I'm with Fatty.

Football pays the bills, and playing in texas gets the recruits. We WOULD have a better team, with a better record, and better ATHLETES, in the b12.

What's the difference between beating up on vandy(oops!), miss st, ol miss and whipping baylor, kansas, and ttech?

I want a national championship, and the b12 gives us a much better shot at it. Add in the natural rivalries, rivalries we may never get in the sec.

I believe there is very little difference financially. Those who say there is, look it up and prove it. 

HoopS

Here is my final answer.  It doesn't matter!  We are staying put and until or if anything ever actually starts to transpire, then and only then would this topic matter.

Hornkiller

quote author=hoophogs link=topic=57359.msg702622#msg702622 date=1146483775]
Here is my final answer.  It doesn't matter!  We are staying put and until or if anything ever actually starts to transpire, then and only then would this topic matter.
[/quote]

It doesn't matter because everyone in the world knows that as long as Frank is still alive and kickin, there is no way on God's Green Earth that Arkansas will leave the SEC. Not for the Big XII, not for C-USA, not for the NFL. 1964 and getting off the sinking ship known as the SWC and putting Arkansas into the security of the SEC are Frank's legacy. No one is going to challenge that.  The only reason Chuckles the Clown brings it up is to piss on Missouri, Kansas and try to get us thinking the football program is on the same level as Oklahoma, Texas and Nebraska.

Besides, why would the Big XII want us? There are only 4 schools with a history of serious competetion with Arkansas. Yeah O-State has Sutton, but I don't think the Sooners are still stewing over 78.  So the SEC doesn't care about Arkansas. Do you think Colorado, Nebraska and Kansas State would?

The only change I would see is trading the Music City bowl for the Alamo Bowl. I'd rather go to Nashville. If the only teams we're beating in the SEC are from Mississippi I'm not so confident that we can say a trip to Lincoln or Lubbuck is a automatic W. Shoot Vandy beat us last year at home. I'm not going to say Missouri, Kansas State or Iowa State would be a sure W.

SupaCrawf

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 29, 2006, 10:30:18 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on April 29, 2006, 10:23:03 pmNot this s*** again.  Why do we belong in the Little 12?

Because it'd be more convienient for NWA folks, that's why, and that's all.

Frick the Big 12.  We belong in the SEC.
Damn NWA people, the way they act, you'd think the U of A was in Fayetteville or something... ;)
I'm kind of a big deal.

Hornkiller

Quote from: SupaCrawf on May 01, 2006, 04:21:47 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 29, 2006, 10:30:18 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on April 29, 2006, 10:23:03 pmNot this s*** again.  Why do we belong in the Little 12?

Because it'd be more convienient for NWA folks, that's why, and that's all.

Frick the Big 12.  We belong in the SEC.
Damn NWA people, the way they act, you'd think the U of A was in Fayetteville or something... ;)

You'd think Central Arkansas doesn't have a University to repersent them.

texasssucks

If we want to win a NC we have to play the best, that would mean the SEC.  Forget about the little 12.  I would love to see us play Texas every year, but I would rather see the great games with LSU, Bama, Auburn, Ol miss, and of course Tennessee.  Think of all the great wins and and great games we almost won.  I want more wins just like the next guy, but again to be the best you have to play the best.

Extra Point

It's just like a fan of a B12 team to tweak the parameters (notice he says only 2 sports and 6 years).

IF the B12 had ANY depth in football whatsoever, they wouldn't have 2 NC's in football based on how the BcS works.

And the biggest joke of them all is the B12 North where Mizzou lies.  What have they done except be a COMPLETE disgrace to their conference in that time period.

4th and 1

no you dont have to play the best to be the best...thats just a saying...and a gay one at that...who cares how good the teams are in the SEC! it's about winning...not how good our confrence is...good lord...its called the big picture...Here's an example, if you were going to war and regardless of who you beat you got the exact same outcome, would you rather go up against China or France? A million man army or a place with little to no army...hmmm hard call...same analogy can be used for the national championship...i.e. texas or usc.

Hank351

I don't see why all you Hog fans oppose going to the big 12.  I mean it makes since you guys.  In the SEC we've been force fed a rivalry of LSU, which isn't a rivalry by any means because they murder us in every sport but Track.  I mean the big 12 gives us Texas (Our biggest rival), Oklahoma (its always good to kick the crap out of an okie) remember that bowl game we lost by three?  How pumped was everybody?  Missouri: Well not that big of a rivalry but with the hiring of Mike A it will be in basketball now.  Kansas: I like that in B-Ball.  I mean its not that big of a down grade, and there is a rivalry around every corner.

4th and 1

valid points...here's you one...the SWC was apparently easier than the SEC...but thats where all of our tradition in football and most of basketball comes from...would wouldnt have half of it if it weren't for that...i think you guys have a SWC winning mentality in a place that wont allow us to achieve a 3rd of it...its time to wake up....read the records for basketball national champs or football...you dont win many in this confrence...too hard.fun to play in? yeah...but winning the big one is a huge huge obsticle here...and thats the reality of it.

Extra Point

Quote from: Hank351 on May 02, 2006, 12:03:53 am
I don't see why all you Hog fans oppose going to the big 12.  I mean it makes since you guys.  In the SEC we've been force fed a rivalry of LSU, which isn't a rivalry by any means because they murder us in every sport but Track.  I mean the big 12 gives us Texas (Our biggest rival), Oklahoma (its always good to kick the crap out of an okie) remember that bowl game we lost by three?  How pumped was everybody?  Missouri: Well not that big of a rivalry but with the hiring of Mike A it will be in basketball now.  Kansas: I like that in B-Ball.  I mean its not that big of a down grade, and there is a rivalry around every corner.

Why would Hog fans have any interest in being in a division with Mizzou, KU, KSU, NU and either ISU or CO???  More driving distance to places with little football atmosphere outside of NU.

And the ONLY schools who would travel to Fayetteville to see games would be NU from our own division which is less money for us.

All we need to do is play texass, aTm, Houston or TCU every year to keep a presence in texass.  Mike Gundy and OSU want to play us as well.  Only recruiting grounds worth invading are OK and TX.  Why would we give up recruits from LA, MS, AL, GA and FL for the likes of MO, NE and KS???

Hank351

I mean this is not hard to understand. 

1.) 80% of our recruits come from in state or Texas, and the percent from   Texas is slipping every year. 
2.) Who was the last big player from Flordia, Lousiana, or Georgia we got in any sport?
3.) Stan recruits up north, Houston doesn't recruit but if he did in state and Texas is where we get our players, and Van Horn recruits more up north and in Texas than anywhere else. 

So, you tell me why that move doesn't make sense given our certain situations and coaching staffs successful recruiting locations.  I mean kids aren't choosing us over LSU, FSU, Flordia, Miami, Georgia, or Georgia Tech.  And I don't know of a single productive thing that has ever come from Mississippi.

The rivalry's that exist in the Big 12 conference compared to the SEC would more than make up for revenues earned in the SEC. 

4th and 1

i'm gonna smit extra point...a. because you dont back up any of your info...speaking of who would travel....b. because joining that confrence would open up more recruiting in those states we're playing...c. because there's not a ton of recruiting coming from the other SEC states...not like texas or our own. d. because you say that playing houston and tcu will help....and i dont agree with that at all...it wont...trust me. why? because everyone could care less about tcu, and houston, or rice...i mean give us a break.  And finally your missing the big point, which is what i said earlier, playing in the big 12 north might not seem like fun but it will be when we're 10-0 or 9-1...and playing for a big 12 championship...i'm fine with taking an easy road to a confrence championship or a national championship for that fact...there you go...i'm admitting the big 12 isn't as good...thats why i want in...because it still puts teams in the championship game...thats our goal right?

Extra Point

May 02, 2006, 07:18:27 am #66 Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 07:19:58 am by Extra Point
Quote from: 4th and 1 on May 02, 2006, 12:33:57 am
i'm gonna smit extra point...a. because you dont back up any of your info...speaking of who would travel....b. because joining that confrence would open up more recruiting in those states we're playing...c. because there's not a ton of recruiting coming from the other SEC states...not like texas or our own. d. because you say that playing houston and tcu will help....and i dont agree with that at all...it wont...trust me. why? because everyone could care less about tcu, and houston, or rice...i mean give us a break.  And finally your missing the big point, which is what i said earlier, playing in the big 12 north might not seem like fun but it will be when we're 10-0 or 9-1...and playing for a big 12 championship...i'm fine with taking an easy road to a confrence championship or a national championship for that fact...there you go...i'm admitting the big 12 isn't as good...thats why i want in...because it still puts teams in the championship game...thats our goal right?

LOL...first of all, why don't you SPELL it correctly...it's "smite", not "smit".  And I don't give a rat's azz if you "smit" me 1,000 times...LOL.  You act as if that actually means anything.  It doesn't.

I backed up a lot of this BS in another thread 2 or 3 down about revenue sharing.  We would be in the North division, drive more miles on average from LR, NOT play texass every year and the list of big players from the southeast has been listed time and time again on EVERY Razorback board.  Guys like me who DO back up our statements are TIRED of explaining them to people like you.

You, Mr. "Smit", don't have facts to back up your claims and from your post don't seem to have a clear understanding of why we play ANY team in texass (see recruiting).  And from your logic, we should join Conference USA since Memphis is only basketball school and would lead us to a top seed every year.  In football, same thing.  It's ridiculous and will never happen.

Look, I LIVED in B12 country most of my life.  We would be the stepchild there.  And they don't really want us.  And most Hog fans don't want them either.

Oh, yeah.  Try writing in complete SENTENCES.  Guys like me who actually adhere to some constructive form of English might end up "smiting" you.

texasssucks

The only thing gay on this thread is your ranting about the little 12.  Let me give you a clue, we are not in the little 12 nor will we be.  So get over it!  We can be 10-0 or 9-1 if HDN can get his head out of his arse and let Gus and Wood run the offense.

4th and 1

i love how extra point doesnt have valid points so he starts talking about complete sentences...its a message board...not jr. english pal...by the way, who cares if you lived "in the big 12" for most of your life...

Hank351

Quote from: texasssucks on May 01, 2006, 07:47:17 pm
1.)"If we want to win a NC we have to play the best, that would mean the SEC."

No, you don't have to play the best to win a NC, you have to win more games than anybody else.  Which would happen in the BIG 12.

2.)"Think of all the great wins and and great games we almost won."

Not real sure but almost winning has never counted in anything.  You're just a natural born loser if you go to a sporting event and get joy from the team you're rooting for to almost win.  Thats what we've been doing for so long.  It is TIME TO WIN, no more almost, and being spoon fed crap to justify it.

Sonofahog

Quote from: 4th and 1 on May 02, 2006, 12:07:41 am
valid points...here's you one...the SWC was apparently easier than the SEC...but thats where all of our tradition in football and most of basketball comes from...would wouldnt have half of it if it weren't for that...i think you guys have a SWC winning mentality in a place that wont allow us to achieve a 3rd of it...its time to wake up....read the records for basketball national champs or football...you dont win many in this confrence...too hard.fun to play in? yeah...but winning the big one is a huge huge obsticle here...and thats the reality of it.

Most of our basketball tradition came from the SWC??  Were we in the SWC in 94 when we won the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP?   
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

Sanctified Swine

the bottom line is....the  Big 12 is a BCS conference and has national respect and proven national champions. So, its a waste of time trashing the Big 12.

The real question is....would being the big 12 be a benefit to the Hogs nationally and the answer to that is YES. Especially if we were to somehow end up in the B12 North. We would be a player every year for the divisonal title. That means more exposure which means better recruits, which means better teams, which means more money, which means more everything!

If you want whats best for the Hogs, the big 12 is the answer

OKCHogFan

I'd heard that if Colorado left the Big 12 for the PAC 10 that we'd take their place in the Big 12 North.  I'd be in favor of that if not sooner.
More natural, traditional rivalries in the Big 12.  Easier for more fans to make the road games.  SEC football fan support much better.  SEC football is as big as it gets in college sports.  UofA is geographically in no man's land between the two conferences.  We've always been on the fringe it seems.  Opportunity to make the BCS bowls much better in Big 12 at this point.

hogfan064

Quote from: OKCHogFan on May 03, 2006, 10:17:22 am
I'd heard that if Colorado left the Big 12 for the PAC 10 that we'd take their place in the Big 12 North.  I'd be in favor of that if not sooner.
More natural, traditional rivalries in the Big 12.  Easier for more fans to make the road games.  SEC football fan support much better.  SEC football is as big as it gets in college sports.  UofA is geographically in no man's land between the two conferences.  We've always been on the fringe it seems.  Opportunity to make the BCS bowls much better in Big 12 at this point.

Would the trips be that much shorter?  I mean we would be in the Big 12 North so we would be making trips to Nebraska, Iowa State, Kansas, and KSU.  Fayetteville to Austin isn't exactly a short trip either.

HoopS

in this hypothetical discussion, I always assumed we would be in the Big 12 South with Tex, TAM, TT, OU, OSU and Us.   Personally, I would be far more interested in playing them... ala the SEC West, than the Iowa States and Kansas'. 

I just don't see us gong anywhere.

4th and 1

stillahog...if you consider most of our basketball tradition in those our national championship most of our tradition then you are kidding yourself...