Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The "MEMPHIS SUCKS" Thread

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, March 13, 2006, 12:31:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CiriusPorker

so how often do you guys celebrate in normal years..2, 3 times tops?

RBLtoHOG

Quote from: MtownTiger on March 13, 2006, 11:21:57 pm
Quote from: 94 Hawg on March 13, 2006, 11:15:35 pm
I lived in eastern Arkansas in the early 90's when the PIG-a-mid was being built. Listened to a lot of their sports call in shows. I distinctly remember memfuss fans complaining about that new arena being built ALL THE WAY across town, saying it was too far to drive, etc...   Memphis is nothing but a mish-mash of various SEC fans that support the local team on off days or when they happen to have a good season. a few years later BWA rose on the hill and the PIG-a-mid wasn't so shiny anymore.

Yea we would love to give up the FedExForum-- the NICEST college basketball venue in the country, for Bud Walton Arena.  Our facilities are a huge recruitment tool.  We win games- we go celebrate on the arena's doorstep at Beale Street.  You win games, you hit up aisle 19 of Wal-Mart for the post-game celebration.

Apparently somebody has never been do Dickson street
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

CiriusPorker

apparently someone rarely gets to go to 'beale' street either ;)  they won't be going to beale after we get finished with them.

musiccityhog

Don't look past Oral Roberts. I wouldn't do that if I were you.
Your name? Fletch F. Fletch
Your Address? Seven
Your occupation? I'm a Shepherd

94 Hawg

I lived in eastern Arkansas in the early 90's when the PIG-a-mid was being built. Listened to a lot of their sports call in shows. I distinctly remember memfuss fans complaining about that new arena being built ALL THE WAY across town, saying it was too far to drive, etc...   Memphis is nothing but a mish-mash of various SEC fans that support the local team on off days or when they happen to have a good season. a few years later BWA rose on the hill and the PIG-a-mid wasn't so shiny anymore.

Yea we would love to give up the FedExForum-- the NICEST college basketball venue in the country, for Bud Walton Arena.  Our facilities are a huge recruitment tool.  We win games- we go celebrate on the arena's doorstep at Beale Street.  You win games, you hit up aisle 19 of Wal-Mart for the post-game celebration.
we win games and go to Wal-Mart, so much so that they are one of the most successful companies in the World.
  :razorback: always  :)
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

CiriusPorker

i'm glad mtowntiger had such a clever comeback..i was blown away..really..

big boes

all this discussion about memphis?  memphis is a 3rd-rate team in a 3rd-tier conference in a 3rd class city with a bottom-feeder for a head coach.  seriously, the big east chose marquette, depaul, and south-fricking-flor over memphis.  and no one was surprised.  10 years from now memphis will still be in c-usa playing the likes of rice and tulsa.  in fact, take a look at umass today and you'll get a good picture of what memphis will look like in 10 years.

Calling All Hogs

Typical posting on a Memphis Tiger fans board....

Hey guys. Let's do a poll on this un

Albert Einswine

Quote from: RazorbackRick on March 13, 2006, 10:42:25 pm
Quote from: alberteinswine on March 13, 2006, 07:45:42 pm
Quote from: RazorbackRick on March 13, 2006, 07:40:49 pm
Quote from: alberteinswine on March 13, 2006, 07:17:11 pm
Quote from: BigHog396 on March 13, 2006, 06:36:59 pm
Caliparri (or however you spell it)

Califairy, get it right!! LOL

Cow-a-pile-ri.

Rick, that's an insult to cow shiite!! :D
You know, you are right.  I apologize right now to any cows i may have offended by comparing their fecal matter to someone of substantially lower value.  ;D

I have to give you an A for the effort, but you really should apologize to the cow shiite! :D
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Broken Trigger

Quote from: alberteinswine on March 14, 2006, 12:01:42 am
Quote from: RazorbackRick on March 13, 2006, 10:42:25 pm
Quote from: alberteinswine on March 13, 2006, 07:45:42 pm
Quote from: RazorbackRick on March 13, 2006, 07:40:49 pm
Quote from: alberteinswine on March 13, 2006, 07:17:11 pm
Caliparri (or however you spell it)

Califairy, get it right!! LOL

Cow-a-pile-ri.

Rick, that's an insult to cow shiite!! :D
You know, you are right.  I apologize right now to any cows i may have offended by comparing their fecal matter to someone of substantially lower value.  ;D

I have to give you an A for the effort, but you really should apologize to the cow shiite! :D

Ooops.  You're right.  I just realized that i apoligized to the cows instead of the crap.  I correct that by apologizing to the cow crap.  If only John could be half as good as you are. 

go hogues

I don't know guys, I'm pretty scared.  Memphis has to play powerhouses such as Central Florida, SMU and Rice!  I mean c'mon those teams are HARD competition!  Oh, o.k. Memphis, I'll add in East Carolina too...only in fairness though.  What a joke! 
Memphis is a great team........FOR ME TO POOP ON!   WPS!
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Hog1751

Did it ever occur to these Tiger fans that the locals bought the tickets, knowing that they could gouge the hell outta the prices because Texas was going to be playing there. They all got an early Christmas present when they found out the Hogs were also coming. It will be a sea of red, and Memphis will be going back to Memphis losers.

GrizzledHogFan

*wonders how many people realize that the capacity of FedExForum, where Memphis plays, is actually slightly less than the capacity of Bud Walton Arena*

Here are a few other points to ponder:
+ The average Razorbacks game attendance was higher than the average Tigers game attendance, even though the Hogs haven't been ranked all year, and the Tigers have been in the Top 25 every week (Top 10 all but 3 weeks).  Tigers games only averaged 72% of capacity.
+ Bud Walton Arena is nationally recognized as a tough place to play, but FedExForum isn't.
+ The Hogs don't have to share their arena with an NBA team.  It's truly the Razorback's arena, and isn't just the place where they happen to play.  There's a strong sense of tradition there.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Ugly Uncle

Memphis is not a push over (this year).  They should not be taken lightly.  They probably should beat us.  But, they will not throttle us.  I still believe they are the weakest of the 1 seeds.  They are a mid-major university that has put together a pretty good team.  That makes them play with a chip on their shoulder.  The SEC didn't want them.  The Big East didn't want them.  So, this would give any Mid-major an attitude.  That makes them dangerous.  They have lived in our long shadow for a  long time.  They will be out to get us.  I don't know if I should really dislike them, or feel sorry for them.
Retired Radio Host

toshortrock

went to southhaven yesterday,had my hog gear on,people seem to think we will not win the first round,not only that,i told them we would knock memphis out,how about it
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

The real Hogules

"It's good to be optimistic, but don't lose touch with reality, Memphis will throttle the Hogs."

This is utter bull darn, if UCONN couldn't "throttle the Hogs", then Mempiss SURE as heck won't!
They're a very good team, but without a shadow of a doubt the most beatable of ALL the number one seeds.
Arkansas being seeded 8th is a joke as well, the Hogs SHOULD have been at the very least a seven and possibly even a six seed.
Memphis is a good team, but they aren't head and shoulders above the Hogs.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Hawgz4Life

The Memphis crowd can talk all they want. Overconfidence is a killer. I say that if the Hogs go out, play smart AND hard, then they should at least....AT LEAST...make it to the elite eight. They've already proven that they can play with just about anybody...they just need to keep from getting lazy and making a few ill advised shots. If they can keep up thier energy level and be smart with thier shot selections, they can win a LOT of games. WPS!

hogsNbeer

March 14, 2006, 08:32:17 am #118 Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 08:33:56 am by hogsNbeer
Let's play Bucknell on Friday a great game and win..... The rest will take care of itself......... Nobody is over-rated...... They have been selected to seeds by a committe of people who basically know what they are doing....  And I guess you think Gerry McNamara is over-RATED as well?     What conference you come from doesn't necessarily put you above or below another team because that team comes from a more power conference........ Just ask Kansas last year, or Michigan St last year........   This is one game, and one game only....... There are no points for second place.... You go home.... Anything can happen in the tournament, that's why they call it March Madness!

Go Hogs   :razorback:

oh btw, "What's in a young man's heart can't be judged nor seeded" - hogsnbeer

pfrg999

God The "walk on's" are out in force.. Some are plants... some just jumped on the Wagon... But don't come on here spouting Shiite like you know something... Oh BTW where the hell have you been?
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

arkbadger

Quote from: pfrg999 on March 14, 2006, 09:00:07 am
God The "walk on's" are out in force.. Some are plants... some just jumped on the Wagon... But don't come on here spouting Shiite like you know something... Oh BTW where the hell have you been?

We all knew the bandwagon would get a whole lot bigger once we made the tourney. 
You can keep that skoal baby.

hogfan064

Quote from: gmb_79 on March 13, 2006, 09:11:52 pm
Quote from: rok-dog on March 13, 2006, 09:06:23 pm
Quote from: pbjones81 on March 13, 2006, 07:31:56 pm
by the way, here is your tiger board....have fun, but have class.

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/memphis/phpbb/index.php?sid=9d81252d0b8a3b8f7563c7b19a8709b4

After hitting their board I am reminded that the best thing to come out of Memphis is the interstate.

Now that's funny, and true.

Why do all the trees in West Memphis point to the east?  Because Memphis sucks!

mword

Memphis is in the Conf. USA, which pretty much all those teams should not be in Division I.

RebelliousHog

We better focus on beating Bucknell or THEY will be playing Memphis and we'll be home with everybody calling for SH firing.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

yocdaddy

Bucknell hasn't played anyone..............Duke and Villanova are #1 seeds, they won on the road against #5 Syracuse.  Memphis played Duke and Gonzaga.  I guess I don't understand your original post.  They haven't played anyone have they?

Go HOGS beat Bucknell!

"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

Niels Boar

Memphis went through three SEC teams like crap through a goose.  Won by 9 at Bama with Davis, where we lost.  Won by 23 at Ole Miss, where we lost.  Beat Tennessee by 9.   Our win streak was greatly aided by getting thin teams in foul trouble and by having a big size advantage either in the frontcourt and/or the backcourt in most cases.  Neither will apply to Memphis.  We can only hope that two months of subpar competition has left Memphis rusty.  That theory didn't seem to apply to UNLV back in the day.

What concerns me is that Memphis is very athletic.  Even a low skill team like MSU that could run and jump with us gave us trouble.  Memphis has skillz to go along with some guys like Carney, Dorsey, and Washington that can really move. 

WetSnout

The Hogs were 6-2 vs. The East, swept the Big 12 teams (inlcuding Kansas) and lost 6 before the tourney by a grand total of 16, while winning 6 straight before dropping a turd against a hot-shooting FLA team with fresh legs.  Point:  If the hogs get Mempho in Big D and have any kind of reaction there like past hogs teams, Memphis has problems.  It's where Peaking Team meets Fortuitous Bracketing and gets to Sweet 16.

J.A.Y.

There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

Brewerfan10

I am so afraid of us looking past Bucknell to Memphis, we NEED to take it one game at a time

razorduck

Hey guys we need to stick up for oursevles and tell these Memphis fans who we are.

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/memphis/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=46722
Hit that line, Hit that line, keep on going....

pbjones81

hogstench

From at least 60% of the "experts" are saying the bucknell buffalofers are going to win...I personally smell sweet 16

CiriusPorker

I think memphis should concentrate on ORU or THEY will get beat as well.

SpaHog

Quote from: hogstench on March 14, 2006, 12:38:48 pm
From at least 60% of the "experts" are saying the bucknell buffalofers are going to win...I personally smell sweet 16

Believe Vegas (-4) not the experts!!

HogISH™

I Hope We Get To Play ORU!!!

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

Adam Stokes

I seriously think if we get past the first round we will get to the Sweet 16.  We don't have anything against Bucknell, but we have a grudge against Memphis.  I think we might get to the elite 8 if we play Kansas instead of Pittsburg. 

cityhog

Quote from: HogISH™ on March 14, 2006, 01:11:10 pm
I Hope We Get To Play ORU!!!

HogISH

That's what I'm saying.  Remembr that one trip to the NCAAT where we lost on a last second layup?  Had we won we would have somebody like Hampton or someone like that who had pulled the huge upset.  Basically had a free pass to the sweet 16.

jackel1h

We have to get by Bucknell first. I think we will,,,,, but it might not be easy.
If your not the lead dog........The view never changes.

toshortrock

i work over here in tunica,memphis sucks,the football team plays in a suck league and the baskeball team plays in a suck league,
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

hogsta

I picked Memphis to win the whole she-bang this year. I know they're young. I could be wrong, but that's my pick.

Queen Hog

I can't wait until Monday to collect a bet with my boss and to have him call the HOGSSSSSSSS as loud as he can in the middle of the building.  That's what I'm talkin' about.  :razorback:
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

Hog Gumbo

Quote from: gmb_79 on March 14, 2006, 01:41:32 am
*wonders how many people realize that the capacity of FedExForum, where Memphis plays, is actually slightly less than the capacity of Bud Walton Arena*

Here are a few other points to ponder:
+ The average Razorbacks game attendance was higher than the average Tigers game attendance, even though the Hogs haven't been ranked all year, and the Tigers have been in the Top 25 every week (Top 10 all but 3 weeks).  Tigers games only averaged 72% of capacity.
+ Bud Walton Arena is nationally recognized as a tough place to play, but FedExForum isn't.
+ The Hogs don't have to share their arena with an NBA team.  It's truly the Razorback's arena, and isn't just the place where they happen to play.  There's a strong sense of tradition there.

I was at the Fedex forum on Sat, it was not close to full, its huge and its nice it was built to NBA standards but its not an intimidating place, the second level of luxury suites is the level of the upper deck at the Bud, In terms of fans being close to the action and true college ball atmosphere the Bud is better. Our arena has a better floor, and the score board is nicer, but at the Forum you can go to the OPUS restuarant and pay 15 bucks for shiitty burger. and 5 bucks fo a can of bud poured into a pastic cup. When we boast that we put so many in such small palce by the big areans that i've visited its as true of a statement one can make. AS for the Forum being a college place, po-leeze, MSU just helps pay the bills for the raping that city took get a team that mediocre at best and ranks 26th in the league attendance. Pathetic ya'll can't fill it up more than 76 percent.

mapdude

Quote from: hogfan064 on March 13, 2006, 12:48:25 pm
Memphis has a University?  Here's my take on Memphis.  They're pretenders.  They are the 3rd most recognized school in their state and are now enjoying their only bit of athletic success in school history.  They got Clemson's leftover coach for football and a washed up SEC defensive coordinator.  In basketball what have they accomplished?  An NIT Championship?  Elliot Perry had cool goggles in the late 80s in the old Metro Conference. Other than that Memphis State sucks!  They'll never be at the level of Arkansas.  Yeah they might have a good season every now and then, but they'll still be no more than another Tulsa to me.
Hogfan64 = clueless, toothless, ignorant, hillbilly

Nuf said....

mapdude

Then, Caliparri has the nerve to say Arkansas isn't a worthy opponent, and procedes to re-neg on the final game in the series contract.

Guess that makes us even for the football game you guys still owe us from when Broyles re-neged back in the 90's.

mapdude

Quote from: Niels Boar on March 14, 2006, 10:58:00 am
Memphis went through three SEC teams like crap through a goose.  Won by 9 at Bama with Davis, where we lost.  Won by 23 at Ole Miss, where we lost.  Beat Tennessee by 9.   Our win streak was greatly aided by getting thin teams in foul trouble and by having a big size advantage either in the frontcourt and/or the backcourt in most cases.  Neither will apply to Memphis.  We can only hope that two months of subpar competition has left Memphis rusty.  That theory didn't seem to apply to UNLV back in the day.

What concerns me is that Memphis is very athletic.  Even a low skill team like MSU that could run and jump with us gave us trouble.  Memphis has skillz to go along with some guys like Carney, Dorsey, and Washington that can really move. 

Niels Boar = Genius!!! (solo division)

Hank351

Say we get past Bucknell (If we don't I'm disappointed), would our guys not be fired up to play an old rival like Memphis.  And to add fuel to the fire we got Callipari's jerk comments about how our program is not on their level from a few years Back.  I do think Memphis is overrated, good team, and matches up well with us, but heck if UAB and Mike Anderson can beat them at home, can't we beat them in Texas with all The Pig Faithful that are gonna be there? WOOOOOOO PIGS!!!

Sonofahog

Quote from: mapdude on March 14, 2006, 08:41:01 pm
Then, Caliparri has the nerve to say Arkansas isn't a worthy opponent, and procedes to re-neg on the final game in the series contract.

Guess that makes us even for the football game you guys still owe us from when Broyles re-neged back in the 90's.

MEMPHIS STATE has a football program?
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: pfrg999 on March 14, 2006, 09:00:07 am

Why not restrict all newbies to their own board for a probationary period.  They can still read the Adult board but they have to spend some time posting at the kiddie table before they can move up.

This will help restrict all the posers from other boards that just come on to spout ignorant BS.

Each week the Hogville regulars can peruse the Newbie board and vote on which Newbie's should be elevated to the big boards similar to American Idol, or better yet vote off which Newbie's are not worthy.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

MtownTiger

March 14, 2006, 11:18:49 pm #148 Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 11:24:24 pm by MtownTiger
Quote from: HoopHog on March 14, 2006, 07:28:51 am

Well stated, gmb_79.

Yes, your arena is a huge recruitment tool, yet it can not recruit enough fans for a single game to be a sell out. Hmmmmmmmmm  The FedEx forum will never make the "toughest home court" top 10 like Bud Walton Arena has, so keep living that dream and eat more jelly do-nuts, wannabee!

Genius post.  Our team this year consists mostly of underclassmen, which the new forum undoubtably helped draw to Memphis.  Add to that the top 15 class that's coming in next year and you have the start of a dynasty.  We had at least 2 sellouts this year too, and many more near capacity crowds, get your facts straight.  You must not be aware that tickets sold for as high as $300 a piece for the Gonzaga and Texas games.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: MtownTiger on March 14, 2006, 11:18:49 pm
Genius post.  Our team this year consists mostly of underclassmen, which the new forum undoubtably helped draw to Memphis.  Add to that the top 15 class that's coming in next year and you have the start of a dynasty.  We had at least 2 sellouts this year too, and many more near capacity crowds, get your facts straight.  You must not be aware that tickets sold for as high as $300 a piece for the Gonzaga and Texas games.

I heard they went for two racks of ribs a pint of slaw, and a rock of crack.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.