Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worst Sports Commentator of All Times

Started by NaturalStateReb, March 03, 2006, 04:07:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the worst sports commentator of all time?

Dave Rowe
27 (10.1%)
Stephen A. Smith
38 (14.2%)
Trev Alberts
61 (22.8%)
Billy Packer
18 (6.7%)
Bill Curry
8 (3%)
Joe Dean, Jr.
14 (5.2%)
Dick Vitale
37 (13.9%)
Clark Kellogg
5 (1.9%)
Bill Walton
59 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

NaturalStateReb

I know this is tough, but you have to pick the BIGGEST moron.

Good luck, and God speed.

BTW, it was close, but I went with Rowe.  What a mouth breather.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Tater Salad

Out of that list, Stephan A.

But Bill Walton is the absolute worst

dmhog v2.0

I always hated Bill Walton. I got so bad that I looked forward to hhim working the games so I could have more reason to hate him.

SigPig

I can't STAND Dickie V- Give it a rest- Thank goodness he handles the ACC a majority of the time. The only other thing besides him that makes me change the channel from sporstcenter is Hockey highlights.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Tater Salad on March 03, 2006, 04:10:09 pm
Out of that list, Stephan A.

But Bill Walton is the absolute worst

I came so close to putting him on there.  He's on there now.  I wasn't sure if he was still doing commentary.

He sucks big time.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

msudawgs64

Forgot Mark May..LOL. so of these I will go with Joe Dean, Jr for one reason..he is a State grad and former player for us but seems to favor the opponent, especially LSU, when he calls our games, even when we are favored.   Assclown.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

Tater Salad

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on March 03, 2006, 04:10:21 pm
I always hated Bill Walton. I got so bad that I looked forward to hhim working the games so I could have more reason to hate him.

He used to have a stuttering problem

God made him that way for a reason.

Too bad he overcame it

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: msudawgs64 on March 03, 2006, 04:12:03 pm
Forgot Mark May..LOL. so of these I will go with Joe Dean, Jr for one reason..he is a State grad and former player for us but seems to favor the opponent, especially LSU, when he calls our games, even when we are favored.   Assclown.

I didn't know he played at State.  His old man was AD at LSU, so that explains his tiger fetish.  I can just see this conversation going on at the press table:

Joe Dean, Jr.:  "Getting a little strang music!  Better take a TO!"

Dave Neal:  "We're in commercial."

dmhog v2.0

Steven A. Smith isn't really a commentator, is he? Doesn't he just do in-studio work?

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on March 03, 2006, 04:14:25 pm
Steven A. Smith isn't really a commentator, is he? Doesn't he just do in-studio work?

True, but how could we leave someone who sucks so bad off the list?

return2glory

Kind of ironic that Bill Walton's college coach, John Wooden, wouldn't allow him to speak to the press because he was basically inept and now the guy does commentary on NBC. I absolutely can't stand Walton. It's also a joke that he was included in NBA's Top 50 players. He was a PUD after college. I HATE BILL WALTON!!!

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on March 03, 2006, 04:15:06 pm
Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on March 03, 2006, 04:14:25 pm

True, but how could we leave someone who sucks so bad off the list?

I'll give you that.

Also, Walton does work for ABC/ESPN, not NBC. NBC lost the rights to the NBA a couple of years ago.

msudawgs64

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on March 03, 2006, 04:14:03 pm
Quote from: msudawgs64 on March 03, 2006, 04:12:03 pm
Forgot Mark May..LOL. so of these I will go with Joe Dean, Jr for one reason..he is a State grad and former player for us but seems to favor the opponent, especially LSU, when he calls our games, even when we are favored.   Assclown.

I didn't know he played at State.  His old man was AD at LSU, so that explains his tiger fetish.  I can just see this conversation going on at the press table:

Joe Dean, Jr.:  "Getting a little strang music!  Better take a TO!"

Dave Neal:  "We're in commercial."

LOL, that's funny..yeah he played back in the mid 70's. 
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Tater Salad

fu-man-soo

return2glory

[/quote]

Also, Walton does work for ABC/ESPN, not NBC. NBC lost the rights to the NBA a couple of years ago.
[/quote]

Good call. My bad. I miss the old NBA on NBC music.

wupigsuey

Tough call. Too bad I can only pick one.I had to go with Vitale. I hate everything he says...Good post though
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: return2glory on March 03, 2006, 04:26:03 pm

[/quote]

Good call. My bad. I miss the old NBA on NBC music.
[/quote]

Tis cool. I miss the NBC music, too. Didn't John Tesh make it?

NaturalStateReb

Jim Gray and Rick Schaffer have attained high levels of sucktude. 

I toyed with putting Gray on the list.

I was afraid that mentioning him might make him surface.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Tater Salad on March 03, 2006, 04:22:55 pm
how could I forget........

This picture makes Schaffer look like a beatified albino.

Porquemada

NaturalStateReb

That's the scariest thing I've seen in a long time.

I'm changing my pants as we speak.

hogman64

CLIFF ELLIS.........wasnt he the one that kept talking about the sugar?

othermac

anyone remember tom brookshire, i couldnt stand him, he worked with pat summerall, one of his famous quotes was after summerall had remarked "this is the superbowl for the refs as well, these are the best in the business" brookshire chimes in, "and that goes for us as well, dont you think"
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

SupaCrawf

I would vote for Rick Majerus.  At one point last year, he did an Arkansas game, and mixed up which team had the ball....  And said 'Olu Faminami, or what ever his name is'
I'm kind of a big deal.

hogmary

I cannot believe that Cheryl Miller was not on the list.  Joe Dean, Jr. only has his job because his dad was athletic director at LSU.

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

Dave Rowe, can't stand him, but what about Joe Theisman?  He's pretty bad too!

:razorback:
WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

Tater Salad

March 03, 2006, 05:17:13 pm #28 Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 05:21:02 pm by Tater Salad
Quote from: SupaCrawf on March 03, 2006, 04:42:26 pm
I would vote for Rick Majerus.  At one point last year, he did an Arkansas game, and mixed up which team had the ball....  And said 'Olu Faminami, or what ever his name is'

I don't think he cares about being a good commentator...he's just waiting for his dream job to open up  ;)

msudawgs64

Quote from: hogmary on March 03, 2006, 05:00:42 pm
I cannot believe that Cheryl Miller was not on the list.  Joe Dean, Jr. only has his job because his dad was athletic director at LSU.

keep in mind though he only does this for the love of the game apparently, his full-time job is as the AD at Birmingham-Southern, now he may have that job because of his dad..LOL

Porquemada

Quote from: Tater Salad on March 03, 2006, 05:17:13 pm
Quote from: SupaCrawf on March 03, 2006, 04:42:26 pm

...he's just waiting for his dream job to open up ;D
Didn't realize KFC had a basketball team.

hogtheball

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

GrizzledHogFan

I really, really hate Lee Corso, and of course "The Daves" on JP suck.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

hangfifty

Dan Dierdorf, Todd Christenson, Brent Musberger

All act like every play is something they have never seen before, overdramatic.  Voted for the king of them all Dave Rowe.

wupigsuey

I don't really like Al Micheals..I know he's called some big games but he seems to "put the wrong emphAsis on the wrong syllAbil"...kinda glad he's off MNF
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Shawn

Gotta love Erin Andrews.....and looks have nothing to do with it!! lol.

ThisLittlePiggie

Worst play-by-play...Paul Eels. On the radio, no less. I quit trying to listen to Razorback football about 15 years ago.

jrw11475

Quote from: hangfifty on March 03, 2006, 05:34:46 pm
Dan Dierdorf, Todd Christenson, Brent Musberger

All act like every play is something they have never seen before, overdramatic.  Voted for the king of them all Dave Rowe.

Good call on Musberger.  I absolutely hate that guy.

Porquemada

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on March 03, 2006, 06:35:04 pm
Worst play-by-play...Paul Eels. On the radio, no less. I quit trying to listen to Razorback football about 15 years ago.
Some of the former players should really like Eells. Who else is going to call your name out on a play a season or two after you've used up your eligibility?

hoggystyle78

Lee Corso is an absolute retard. And he looks just like Mel Brooks, so you know he's a nut. Could somebody help me out with a picture of the two?, don't know how to do it myself, just take a look for yourself, a retard.

berryhog

I had to go with Billy Packer.  This guy is the ultimate frontrunner.  Bill Walton was a very close second.

pfrg999

I didn't see Walton before I voted... I HATE HIM...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

sowmonella

Joe Dean Jr. even uses his Dad's old catch phrase "String Music". How sad is that?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Jerry Swinefeld

Hollywood_HOGan

I didnt see Cliff Ellis on that list.

That guy is just terrible!

"Gotta share that sugar."

Hope he NEVER does another game.

brichte

I dont mind the others as much because they kind of know what they are talking about. Bill Walton at times sounds stupid, but the biggest MORON has got to be Trev Alberts. He is constantly talking out of his A@@. His comments usually contain a lot of opinion and not enough fact.

Lokirain

March 03, 2006, 07:59:55 pm #47 Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 08:40:06 am by Lokirain
Why isn't Barry Booker on this list?

Hog6

Rush Limbaugh.  How many games did he last?

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Stephen A. Smith drives me crazy, think he has so much "street cred.", what a dumbarse.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07