Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Run or Pass?

Started by TulsaHawg, October 12, 2005, 09:15:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHawg

I am reading Rick Shaeffer's new book, "Game Of My Life".

One chapter is devoted to Mark Calcagni and the 1978 Orange Bowl in which Arkansas got one of it's biggest victories ever.

OU had been a 2 TD favorite prior to the game, BEFORE Lou Holtz suspended Bobo, Cowins, and Forrest.  After those guys were suspended, the game was removed from the betting line.

The Hogs beat the #2 Sooners 31-6.

In that game Calcagni threw the ball 11 times and completed 7.  The Hogs rushed for 315 yards, and Roland Sales, the backup RB had 205 if that!

hogken

i prefer the run myself, it controls clock,and can wear a defense out!
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

hogken

that a Defensive problem. which is our weakness (biggest)
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

hogken

If the Defense cant stop. the clock runs and catch up never works! look at Alabama! we played with them almost all night but when the Defense failed we lose!

clemensrules01

Which kind of game would you like arkansas to feature? A grind it out, ball control, physical run attack or an air it out, strike quickly, finesse passing game?

I personally would choose the running game.  I love seeing the holes open up in the fourth quarter, although arkansas has gotten to a point where all we can do is run, and that is never a good thing.

TulsaHogFan

How about a balanced attack?  Would that be possible?  Under Nutt i would doubt this very heavily.

hogken

we got what we got! who would you suggest as a QB? weak,scared Alex?

TulsaHogFan

How about Casey Dick?  He has shown he has skills, however HDN will not play the best player until everyone is screaming their heads off about him.

clemensrules01

lets try to stick to the question. i wasnt talking about a perfect offense, i just want to know what people prefer. if we could be like texas tech or...us, you choose.

hogken

he must not be the best! why would he hold him out? he is fighting for his life?

hogken

run,run,run, run awaaaay

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: clemensrules01 on October 12, 2005, 09:49:51 pm
lets try to stick to the question. i wasnt talking about a perfect offense, i just want to know what people prefer. if we could be like texas tech or...us, you choose.

Do WHAT?? 

So i can't get a balanced offense?  OHHH thats why you like Nutters. 

Seriously i see balance all over the NCAA, yet we CAN'T do that at Arkansas?  What kind of fricked up logic is this.

You asked what i wanted and i told you, just because you failed to realize that its a possibility, is not my fault, don't blame me for your intellect shortcomings.

Big Papa Satan

Run the ball.  That's Arkansas football, basically.  We've never been a finesse, passing team, at least not one that was worth a damn.  Kay Stephenson's offense in 1997 comes to mind.

hogken

The Defense didnt buck up and make the critical stops

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: hogken on October 12, 2005, 09:49:57 pm
he must not be the best! why would he hold him out? he is fighting for his life?

Lack of player evaluation skills is my guess.  Cause i have heard nothing but great things about him.

hogken

may have the skills but asked to perform must cave

clemensrules01

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on October 12, 2005, 09:52:53 pm

Do WHAT??

So i can't get a balanced offense? OHHH thats why you like Nutters.

Seriously i see balance all over the NCAA, yet we CAN'T do that at Arkansas? What kind of fricked up logic is this.

You asked what i wanted and i told you, just because you failed to realize that its a possibility, is not my fault, don't blame me for your intellect shortcomings.

you dumba$$, i dislike nutt just as much as you do.  The question wasnt "do you want a balanced offense, a passing offense, or a running offense?"  it was whether you would prefer a running offense or a passing offense. I dont fail to realize it as a possibility, it just isnt the question.  dont blame me for your distinct inability to read a question and answer it.

lumphog

Balanced, but I think Nutt is an idiot for not running some wishbone this year. He`s got the perfect players for it.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: clemensrules01 on October 12, 2005, 10:00:28 pm
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on October 12, 2005, 09:52:53 pm

Do WHAT??

So i can't get a balanced offense? OHHH thats why you like Nutters.

Seriously i see balance all over the NCAA, yet we CAN'T do that at Arkansas? What kind of fricked up logic is this.

you dumba$$, i dislike nutt just as much as you do. The question wasnt "do you want a balanced offense, a passing offense, or a running offense?" it was whether you would prefer a running offense or a passing offense. I dont fail to realize it as a possibility, it just isnt the question. dont blame me for your distinct inability to read a question and answer it.

LMAO well its not my fault you are unable to evaluate several options.  Your failure to include the "balanced" choice stumps me as most winning teams will win doing both, not just one or the other. IE Springdale.

clemensrules01

okay, here it is.

i didnt want to know what the perfect offense would be. i had a debate with a guy as to whether a passing game or running game was better.  i wanted to know everyone's thoughts on those two, not if they would prefer a balanced offense.  I myself, as I believe most fans feel, would rather have a balanced attack but i was trying to figure out which way hogville members lean.

Golfer

Quote from: TulsaHogFan on October 12, 2005, 09:48:26 pm
How about Casey Dick? He has shown he has skills, however HDN will not play the best player until everyone is screaming their heads off about him.

And what proof do you have that Casey Dick IS the best QB? I have been to every game (home games) and I haven't seen him play.  If he was the best I would assume that he would be starting.  So give us your insight on how you KNOW that he is the best QB.

pork-e-pine

I don't know if Casey is the best QB but if this was your offense and Johnson wasn't getting it done, wouldn't you switch?  I would play mortenson.  If he coundn't be trusted to throw downfield then play barthel.  If he can't be trusted then Try casey.  If not case then try anybody.  We have to have someone who can throw downfield. 
Though i don't think the post was meant to be prescriptive but 7/11 was a good passing strategy in 1978.  I don't think it works now.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

rathog1

Quote from: Golfer on October 12, 2005, 11:54:21 pm
How about Casey Dick? He has shown he has skills, however HDN will not play the best player until everyone is screaming their heads off about him.

And what proof do you have that Casey Dick IS the best QB? I have been to every game (home games) and I haven't seen him play. If he was the best I would assume that he would be starting. So give us your insight on how you KNOW that he is the best QB.

Excuse me but were we not in almost this exact same situation (1-3) with a phenom named Matt Jones sitting on the bench. I don't know if Casey is the answer but I am certain of one thing, Nutt doesn't know either.
Hogking 7-09-05
11:42:25 PM
this will be a 1998 type season maybe better

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 12, 2005, 09:15:56 pm

One chapter is devoted to Mark Calcagni and the 1978 Orange Bowl in which Arkansas got one of it's biggest victories ever.

OU had been a 2 TD favorite prior to the game, BEFORE Lou Holtz suspended Bobo, Cowins, and Forrest. After those guys were suspended, the game was removed from the betting line.

In that game Calcagni threw the ball 11 times and completed 7. The Hogs rushed for 315 yards, and Roland Sales, the backup RB had 205 if that!

I have a couple of things to say about this.  First, things have changed since 1978.  Run-heavy offenses used to be a lot more common than they are now.  Second, while passing a lot my not be important in and of itself, you need to have the capability to pass to keep defenses honest, which will improve your run game, and also to give you the ability to score quickly if you fall behind.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

bigt54

I am a firm believer in the run to set up the pass school of thought. 

Which works if you run more than outs and post.  I would love to see some slants, drags and hitch n go's with this team.  I guess I am asking to much. 
"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."

bigt54

As Conwayhog mentioned, if we ran some better routes then the offence we have now would be ok.  Nutt has ran a post pattern, in fact he ran two against ULM, the sad thing is that is the only deep routes he calls and the recievers run them wide and never go under the zone.  I would like to see a nice slant like Vandy killed our recievers on.  It can be done with 7/11 passing, but you have to make the 7 count in order to take the D-backs out of the box. 
"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."

lunchbox72703

Quote from: gmb_79 on October 13, 2005, 01:26:01 am

OU had been a 2 TD favorite prior to the game, BEFORE Lou Holtz suspended Bobo, Cowins, and Forrest. After those guys were suspended, the game was removed from the betting line.

In that game Calcagni threw the ball 11 times and completed 7. The Hogs rushed for 315 yards, and Roland Sales, the backup RB had 205 if that!

I have a couple of things to say about this. First, things have changed since 1978. Run-heavy offenses used to be a lot more common than they are now. Second, while passing a lot my not be important in and of itself, you need to have the capability to pass to keep defenses honest, which will improve your run game, and also to give you the ability to score quickly if you fall behind.

I would buy this argument if we only threw one or two passes a game.  We throw passes.  I believe your frustration stems fromt he fac tthat we do not throw down field like we should.  Robert Johnson doesn't have the accuracy to do that effectively.  Neither did Matt Jones.  Nutt knows this, and therfore is committed to short and medium passing.  I would rather have a coach that calls plays to his players strengths rather than call the fan favorite plays and have them all end up in interceptions.

hogken

idochog

How about this as some logic:

Why dont you have your offense prepared to take what the defense gives you?

Hard-headed HDN is gonna run the ball no matter if 10 guys are standing w/in 5 yds of the LOS.

Good coaches have the balance on offense needed to attack weaknessess that the defense has.  Auburn usually has a great running defense and what will the goof HDN do? Run.

Our inability to gameplan from week to wekk drives me nuts.  HDN's idea of a gameplan is running his same 5 plays in a different order the next week.
I love Jesus!

Tusks

Why are we fans asking the same questions we were asking in 1985?  If you go back to say...1983 (23 years) Arkansas fans have bitched about a passing game probably 19 of those 23 seasons. 

WHY?

This has nothing to do with HDN but why can't the Hogs muster a passing game?  I know every school sometimes struggles with the passing game, but good grief 19 out of 23 seasons?

Its almost as if we try to win inspite of the forward pass.

I find it puzzling that throwing the football becomes such a struggle season after season. 
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Flatline

How about the offense that Nutt ran in 1998 and 1999.  When he first got here he could coach.  He would run and pass.  Either he has been hit in the head and forgot how to coach like he did or he is coaching not to lose his freaking job and it losing his freaking job.  I want the Nutt that came here seven years ago. 

HighonSwine

Feralhog

Clemensrules101...This is a tough room buddy.  People are so sick of the status quo, a post even resembling an attempt to paint Nutt in a good light gets pounded.   

As for your question, I'll play along.  IMO, all things being equal, the team that establishes the run will win more often than not.  On the flip side, if both offenses are being shut down, the passing offense is at a higher risk to turn the ball over.

Even with a balanced attack, one is used to set up the other.

IMO the most effective offense is one that uses the run to set up or aid the pass.  In '98 and '99 the hogs philosophy was a balanced machine that used it's running game to set up the pass.  Our running game, back then, forced D's to cheat with the safeties, and Stoerner made em pay.

Currently we use the passing game to spread the field horizontally.  Our only aim with the pass is to keep D's from collapsing the middle.  The homerun ball for Arkansas is running Jones and McFadden wide.  I don't want to call it high school, but that's exactly what it is.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

pigfoot

Give me a good, balanced DEFENSE to go along with it and I'll choose an efficient passing offense every day.
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

HogFanLR

Under the constraints of the question I would take the running game.  If you can't run your defense better be really good. 

Now if the question is which would I prefer to watch--style points go to a wide open passing game.  Fun to watch.  Hard to execute.

jabohog

Quote from: Flatline on October 13, 2005, 08:21:47 am
How about the offense that Nutt ran in 1998 and 1999. When he first got here he could coach. He would run and pass. Either he has been hit in the head and forgot how to coach like he did or he is coaching not to lose his freaking job and it losing his freaking job. I want the Nutt that came here seven years ago.

I don't think it was Nutt's play calling as much as it was having an  experienced QB and WR, that could put the offense in a good play by reading the defense. We haven't had that in awhile. Matt could adlib into some positive offense, but Stoener could read defenses.

RebelliousHog

October 13, 2005, 09:16:22 am #37 Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 09:18:42 am by maintube
Don't care. Win is the bottom line.  Wouldn't bother me to run the wishbone every play with 4 passes a game is we WIN. I do think a running team that set up the pass are more successful than the opposite. Passing routes that are ALWAYS short or running 1 reciever routes is not the object of running to set up the pass.  All this based on a GOOD defense. Scoring a bajillion points and being out scored by 1 point is still losing.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Since 1894

Just WIN Baby - I don't care how!!

With this team, looks like we will run to set up the short pass.  Keeping the ball, wearing down their defense and keeping our Defense fresh.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

hogfan11

I like the run. It is a little bit more safer than passing the ball too.

e_dub

There's always something to bitch about.  The fact that we dont have a qb that can throw, I can bitch about that and blame  it on Nutt's limp-dicked recruiting.  There's always someone to blame something on.  Until the coaching staff realizes that and starts taking responsibility for the problems up there instead of passing the buck, we're going to be in the same leaky boat we're in right now.

RebelliousHog

What is the knock on Barthel? He seems to have fallen off the radar.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Flatline

Quote from: hogken on October 12, 2005, 09:30:58 pm
that a Defensive problem. which is our weakness (biggest)

For once I will have to agree that the defense is the problem.  The teams that have won in the past had strong defenses.  Offenses score points but defense wins games.  I will not agree with earlier post where you blame Herring for this problem.  Nutt has recruited offense heavy for years and has let the defense get to this point.  I can only hope that they will fix this problem next year.  I have been told that it would take a lot to get Nutt fired this year by some friends and family that are in the foundation.  With that being said there will be several coaching changes at the end of the year.  I hope that this makes a difference for the future.  I am tired of being at the bottom looking up.

Bigmac

Arkansas - Passing Game

Now that's an oxymoron.
However, with the running game we have there is no need to have a "passing game". The problem I have is that when have to have some sort of passing scheme with more than 1 or 2 recievers running out routes we can't do it on a semi consistent basis. We supposedly have the some of the best talent we've ever had right now at reciever. Stoener/ Meadors/ Lucas/ Smith were the last of the passing tandems. Nutt relied to much on M Jones's legs these past 4 years so there was no need to develope players to understand or implement a passing game. In my mind Nutt got lazy and depended on his cash cow - Jones - for offense.

e_dub

Even with the running game we have we need a passing game to get the DB's out of the box.  They creep up way too much.  Also, when we're down by 14 or 21 points, it's hard to come back with a simple running attack.  We need some balance to be successful and win championships.

GorillaJMonsoon

If we could pass effectively (over the middle, vertical routes, somehting other than just 5 yard outs and screens) then opposing Ds couldn't stack against the run like they do now and will do until we can force them not to.  We do need some semblance of a "passing game" otherwise we are one dimensional and predictable.

Feralhog

Quote from: hogken on October 12, 2005, 09:49:57 pm

Amasing!

Time after Time after Time after Time after Time after Time after Time it's the middle of the season before we get the right players on the field.  It happens like clockwork every G-Damn Frkken Season, and someone posts "he must not be the best!" 

We need to implement or install some kind of ignore button.  I read Shiite like this and I want to rip my friken eyes out and throw them at my monitor.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

GorillaJMonsoon

All you need to know is, if RJ is the best we've got, then we are in trouble.  If he can't throw, then let him run.  If he can't run, then why is he our starting QB?  What happened to make RJ our only option at QB?  Oh, must have been the investigation.

Theolesnort

Quote from: gmb_79 on October 13, 2005, 01:26:01 am

I have a couple of things to say about this. First, things have changed since 1978. Run-heavy offenses used to be a lot more common than they are now. Second, while passing a lot my not be important in and of itself, you need to have the capability to pass to keep defenses honest, which will improve your run game, and also to give you the ability to score quickly if you fall behind.
Eggzackly  gmb_ 79   One thing that most posters on here are missing is that RJ's accuracy still has not been determined in a game. If he doesn't attempt to throw middle and and long routes in a game then how do you judge? The practices I've gotton in to see I thought he did different routes well. The problem seems to be either his confidence in a game to do it or the coaches confidence in him to do it during a real game? ???
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Feralhog

October 13, 2005, 10:29:30 am #49 Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 11:00:26 am by Feralhog
Quote from: Golfer on October 12, 2005, 11:54:21 pm

And what proof do you have that Casey Dick IS the best QB? I have been to every game (home games) and I haven't seen him play. If he was the best I would assume that he would be starting. So give us your insight on how you KNOW that he is the best QB.

Johnson isn't getting it done, at the same time, it's not too big a stretch to guesstimate the reason Johnson is still starting is he did all the right things.  He redshirted then waited patiently for his shot.  I have no problem handing the reins to a kid who's simply done what's been asked, but he still has to perform.

Johnson's biggest problem is he locks in on his receiver.  Combine that with a coach who his scared shitless to throw the ball downfield and you have a combination that's volatile.  We're lucky it hasn't blown up in our face, which it damn near did, to the tune of 4 or 5  picks against Bama that were dropped. 

As for Dick or Mortensen or whoever, we need to stick one of them in just to see if we can operate the passing game without our QB staring a hole in the primary receiver.  With the running game we have, just having a QB with the ability to look off a defender could be enough to win some games.  It's simply a matter of time before Johnson throws multiple picks.