Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big issues in Norman!

Started by TulsaHawg, October 12, 2005, 06:59:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHawg

An article by John Hoover in the Tulsa World today was all over the sportstalk radio stations today in Tulsa and OKC.

Hoover interviewed Jerry Bomar, Rhett's father, and Mr. Bomar really stirred the pot!

Here are a couple of quotes:

" I went up there at midseason (of 2004) and asked them, "How's this kid going to compete for the starting quarterback job?"  Keep in mind that Rhett redshirted last season.

"They knew all along he was the best player, but he didn't do anything.  He's sitting around.  They assured me, "Oh no, there'll be plenty of reps in the spring."

"Then they go into spring and it's being divided  by one third.....Then they come back in the fall and it's being divided  in half.  So he's never had it where he's gotten all those reps. So everything now, he's basically catching up."

This guy is getting BLASTED by the talkshow hosts and callers.

He was Rhett's HS coach, and they never won a championship.

Paul Thompson, a junior began the season as the #1 QB.  After the TCU game, they decided to go with Bomar.  Thompson is now at WR.

Bomar is White, and Thompson is Black. There are people making accusations that it's a racial thing.  They say Thompson did not get a fair shot.  Bomar was throwing the ball into the grass on some throws in the Texas game.

There was talk about how they don't throw the ball downfield, and mainly throw short of "flat" passes.

Interesting thing is that 2 years ago Rhett Bomar was the #1 QB coming out of HS and he went to OU.  Bobby Reid was the #2 QB coming out of HS and he went to Oklahoma State.  Neither one of them has looked good this year.  Incidentally, Mike Gundy moved Reid to #1 QB ahead of the starter last year, Donovan Woods.  Woods was moved to WR.

OklaU

I think Rhett aggressive approach toward football, is slowing his progress.  He doesn't slide instead he lowers his shoulder.  He doesn't throw it away instead forces it into triple coverage.  Instead of saying "oh that didn't work" he says "let's see you stop it again".

I am sure he'll develop into a good QB over the next several years unless he sustains a head injury which is due anytime now. 
:(
"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

corndo

A lot of pressure on that guy - they expect great thing at OU!

TulsaHawg

Quote from: PulledPork on October 12, 2005, 07:35:46 pm
Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 12, 2005, 06:59:08 pm
An article by John Hoover in the Tulsa World today was all over the sportstalk radio stations today in Tulsa and OKC.

Hoover interviewed Jerry Bomar, Rhett's father, and Mr. Bomar really stirred the pot!

Here are a couple of quotes:

" I went up there at midseason (of 2004) and asked them, "How's this kid going to compete for the starting quarterback job?" Keep in mind that Rhett redshirted last season.

"They knew all along he was the best player, but he didn't do anything. He's sitting around. They assured me, "Oh no, there'll be plenty of reps in the spring."

"Then they go into spring and it's being divided by one third.....Then they come back in the fall and it's being divided in half. So he's never had it where he's gotten all those reps. So everything now, he's basically catching up."

This guy is getting BLASTED by the talkshow hosts and callers.

He was Rhett's HS coach, and they never won a championship.

Paul Thompson, a junior began the season as the #1 QB. After the TCU game, they decided to go with Bomar. Thompson is now at WR.

Bomar is White, and Thompson is Black. There are people making accusations that it's a racial thing. They say Thompson did not get a fair shot. Bomar was throwing the ball into the grass on some throws in the Texas game.

There was talk about how they don't throw the ball downfield, and mainly throw short of "flat" passes.

Interesting thing is that 2 years ago Rhett Bomar was the #1 QB coming out of HS and he went to OU. Bobby Reid was the #2 QB coming out of HS and he went to Oklahoma State. Neither one of them has looked good this year. Incidentally, Mike Gundy moved Reid to #1 QB ahead of the starter last year, Donovan Woods. Woods was moved to WR.

Well, if you can't get it done in 3yrs time (RoJo), what makes you think 2yrs is any better.

And keep in mind that Bomar was the number 1 tanked QB out of HS.

What kind of expectations will people place on Mitch?

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 12, 2005, 08:00:56 pm

And keep in mind that Bomar was the number 1 tanked QB out of HS.

What kind of expectations will people place on Mitch?

with Nutt as coach....I have no expectations of Mitch. 

Bacon out...

merccedes

There are plenty of things that you might could get done in 3 years that you cant get done in 2.  i  dont understand all i know about that post.

CarolinaHog1176

Well, if you can't get it done in 3yrs time (RoJo), what makes you think 2yrs is any better.

RoJo's got 4 games of starting experience to his name... can we give him a little bit of time?  yes he's a RS-SO but he hasn't been on the field AT ALL up until now
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

PintailKiller

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on October 12, 2005, 08:52:40 pm

RoJo's got 4 games of starting experience to his name... can we give him a little bit of time? yes he's a RS-SO but he hasn't been on the field AT ALL up until now

Once again - that is my problem with HDN - he does not prepare players to be ready for next year or to fill in if there are injuries.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

TulsaHawg

Quote from: PintailKiller on October 12, 2005, 08:55:32 pm
Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on October 12, 2005, 08:52:40 pm

RoJo's got 4 games of starting experience to his name... can we give him a little bit of time? yes he's a RS-SO but he hasn't been on the field AT ALL up until now

Once again - that is my problem with HDN - he does not prepare players to be ready for next year or to fill in if there are injuries.

So would you offer the same criticism toward Bob Stoops?  OU evidently didn't have a QB "prepared" to take over for Jason White.

Paul Thompson was the #2 QB last year, but saw very little action.  Now he is playing WR.

PintailKiller

Yes I would.  They believed Bomar was good enough that he didn't need pt to get ready.  Wrong.  In bigtime college football, pt gets you ready, not practice squad.  Its different when the lights are on and 80,000 are in the seats.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

TulsaHawg

Quote from: PintailKiller on October 12, 2005, 09:06:53 pm
Yes I would. They believed Bomar was good enough that he didn't need pt to get ready. Wrong. In bigtime college football, pt gets you ready, not practice squad. Its different when the lights are on and 80,000 are in the seats.

Actually, Thompson began the season as the #1 QB.  Bomar wasn't happy about it.  Thompson didn't have a good game against TCU and so a switch was made.  I heard a radio guy today say that if Boamar doesn't get it done against Kansas Saturday, he thinks they bring Thompson back in during the game!  They has another QB who transferred to Utah just prior to the start of the season because of not getting PT.

PintailKiller

Once again, it was Thompsons 1st start.  You have to give a player, especially a QB, time under fire.
In baseball, how many rookie closers do you see?  Not many.  Why - they learn to handle the reliever role first before moving into the closer role.

riccoar

Talking about QB's, Rick Shaeffer said he sees Mitch Mustain starting at QB next year for Arkansas.  He said even as young as he is, he still has more talent than any of the three QB's there right now.  Now thats bold.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: PintailKiller on October 12, 2005, 09:22:49 pm
Once again, it was Thompsons 1st start. You have to give a player, especially a QB, time under fire.
In baseball, how many rookie closers do you see? Not many. Why - they learn to handle the reliever role first before moving into the closer role.

Not disagreeing with you.  There are some over here saying that PT did not get a fair shot.  Bomar has come in and started 3 or 4 games, and has basically looked terrible.

I think RoJo will improve with more playing time.  He has demonstrated at times that he can throw the ball well.  I think he has to get used to the speed of the game, and learn to make good decisions under fire.

Vince Young was not very impressive his first year.  Now look at him.

PintailKiller

Nutt has a system?  Who knew? 

It is Nutts fault that RoJo is not ready.  It is his job to prepare his players. 
Bomar might have been more highly regarded, but that just goes to show that ranking high school players is subjective and that expectations placed on them are most often way to high.  95% of the state thinks that Mitch M is going to be the savior of Razorback football.  He may be, but not next year.

hogken

i hope he is right! Who is responsible for Mustain coming to Hogland?
one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!

whatsshakinbacon

C'mon - Stoops' problems run far deeper than QB this year, he has no pocket protection and an ailing Peterson.  And their D isn't up to par either.

My question is, if Casey Dick is a decent quarterback he beats the he11 out of what we've got right now and Nutt needs to be playing him now to get the PT he will need to back up MM.  BURN THE REDSHIRT NUTT!

Bacon out...

riccoar

Mitch is obvoiusly talented and I think he will be awesome.  But I just think unless he completely outshines all QB's in the fall you gotta redshirt him.  Even for a #1 QB coming out of HS thats alot of pressure, but I suppose Malzhan will probably weighh alot into that decision. 

TulsaHawg

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on October 12, 2005, 09:30:57 pm
C'mon - Stoops' problems run far deeper than QB this year, he has no pocket protection and an ailing Peterson. And their D isn't up to par either.

My question is, if Casey Dick is a decent quarterback he beats the he11 out of what we've got right now and Nutt needs to be playing him now to get the PT he will need to back up MM. BURN THE REDSHIRT NUTT!

Bacon out...

What's that old saying about the 2nd string QB being the most popular player?

Look Bacon, you are correct to point out that OU's OL is not playing well.  That has been discussed a lot over here.  But isn't it the Coaches' job to recruit good players to fill those positions? That's what they say in Arkansas anyway.

And OU is struggling this year witha 2-3 record even after having Top 10 recruiting classes.

Their OC is being ripped  by many fans.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 12, 2005, 09:39:25 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on October 12, 2005, 09:30:57 pm
C'mon - Stoops' problems run far deeper than QB this year, he has no pocket protection and an ailing Peterson. And their D isn't up to par either.

My question is, if Casey Dick is a decent quarterback he beats the he11 out of what we've got right now and Nutt needs to be playing him now to get the PT he will need to back up MM. BURN THE REDSHIRT NUTT!

Bacon out...

What's that old saying about the 2nd string QB being the most popular player?

Look Bacon, you are correct to point out that OU's OL is not playing well. That has been discussed a lot over here. But isn't it the Coaches' job to recruit good players to fill those positions? That's what they say in Arkansas anyway.

And OU is struggling this year witha 2-3 record even after having Top 10 recruiting classes.

Their OC is being ripped by many fans.

I'm not defending Stoops, don't get me wrong - it IS his responsibility to keep all facets of the game running smoothly.  I was just saying the QB is one of many problems.

Bacon out...

Hornkiller

First of all when a top shelf QB goes from college to the NFL we expect him to struggle. Payton Manning struggled, John Elway struggled, Steve Young struggled. As good as he is Linhert is going to struggle next year in his first pro campaign. But we can justify it. The pro system takes awhile to learn, the defenses are quicker and smarter, and the game is faster.

Yet we expect the HS stud to come in and set the world on fire his first year? Yeah Bomar is having problems, Reid is having problems and other starting stud QBs aren't looking good. We'll what did we expect? Yeah they look good against kids some of who are doing keg stands at the college of their choice right now, but it doesn't matter even if it is the Big XII, it takes a while for QB's to adapt. Hey Croyal didn't look so great his first season. Leak had problems as well.

The QB's that do are often eased into the system. Matt Jones split time with Clark, DJ Shockey with David Green.

OU's problems have more to do than just Bomar. The line is patched together after defections, Peterson is banged up (which is to be expected with a new line) no go to receiver has stepped up and Chuck Long's questionable play calling can't be covered up by the sheer talent of White, Clayton, Bradley and Jones and the three guys on the OL who are playing on NFL teams right now. Not to mention two of their best assistant coaches are now running their own programs (Mike Stoops and Mike Leech)

So this should be a lesson to all of us Hog fans printing up SEC champion T-shirts and dreaming of BCS bowl games. Mustang isn't going to go in and start shedding up SEC defenses. Especially if the offensive scheme changes and other players have to make adjustments. Is it a good start for down the road? Sure, but let's give the kid time to develop. (which is what I'm sure you all want to hear.

Considering all the talent Texas had #1 prospect Chris Sims never got them to the promised land, and it's taken until Young's Jr year to show he can make good decisions.