Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yahoo SEC Preview

Started by Cornhogio, August 19, 2005, 08:12:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornhogio

Check out "What Other Coaches are Saying" on Arkansas and HDN.  Ouch. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=secpreview&prov=tsn&type=lgns
Society is responsible for the night that it produces.

ArkansasI

That is pretty much what everyone here says.  Do you think that they were serious about the Ole Miss coach?  Do connections to California translate into wins at Ole Miss?

Hmmm. . .

Biggus Piggus

Arkansas goes to the next level when the talent level does.  It will be interesting to see what peer coaches say within a year or two.

LSU has all these athletes at WR and TB, while its QBs still look second division.  Arkansas is the same only not quite as stacked at WR.  Who do you think better manages his way through the SEC under those conditions, Les Miles or Houston Nutt?

I want to know why the Tide is supposedly underrated.  I like their defense, but the offense seems like it lacks the receivers and backs that the rest of the West bring to the table.  Not even close.  Several new Oline/TE starters + slow Croyle, seems like a bad combo.  And why shouldn't Bama's depth be called into question?  Just looking at their depth chart.  Past the first team, the depth comes from the sanctions-impaired years.

We seem to have been hit harder than Bama was, somehow, though I like our young talent better than theirs.

Freshmen on first team:
Alabama 2.
Arkansas 0-2.

Freshmen on second team:
Alabama 5.
Arkansas 9-12. <=shows our recruiting weakness in 2002-03

Sophs on first team:
Alabama 3.
Arkansas 5-8. <=a lot of second-year, no-redshirt players

Sophs on second team:
Alabama 11. <=important number to me
Arkansas 4-6.

Frosh+sophs on first team:
Alabama 5.
Arkansas 5-8 (some mutually exclusive possibilities).

Frosh+sophs on second team:
Alabama 16.
Arkansas 13-16 (same reason why they don't add up).

Bama's defense is loaded with 14 veterans in the two-deep, 10 upperclassmen starting.  Nine upperclassmen in the two-deep on offense.  They are going to make it very tough on our young QB, but I bet they will have a hard time blocking our D + getting big plays.  If we don't turn it over, I expect a close game and a chance to win on the road.  Hogs aren't much less experienced than the Tide, and I like our young ones better than theirs.
[CENSORED]!

HogDodging

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 19, 2005, 11:01:14 am
Arkansas goes to the next level when the talent level does. It will be interesting to see what peer coaches say within a year or two.

How soon people forget the 2003 season.  All that talent.  Yet, did Nutt lead us to "the next level" that year?
That was one of the worst seasons I've ever sat through, as far as pre-season expectations versus the results.  And, I'm going back to 1970.

Bomis Hawg

Most people expect about 8-9 wins in 03.  Just because the team game out of the gate and knocked off Texas and Bama on the road shouldn't change your "expectations."  Yes, most people didn't exect that to happen. 

HogDodging

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on August 19, 2005, 11:38:46 am
Most people expect about 8-9 wins in 03.  Just because the team game out of the gate and knocked off Texas and Bama on the road shouldn't change your "expectations."  Yes, most people didn't exect that to happen. 

Why such low expectations?  How can we get any better if the general consensus is that 8 to 9 wins are all that is expected, especially from such a talented team?
Going into the season, I expected nothing less than an SEC championship and a BCS bowl out of the 2003 team. 
Instead, we ended up getting embarassed two weeks in a row at home, went 0 for October, then got thoroughly trounced by LSU. 
On the bright side, we did win our bowl game.  But, who outside of Arkansas and Columbia, MO cared about it?

Bomis Hawg

Well, YOU expected a SEC Title.  I think sometimes you use your expectations as the consensus.  From the Websites to Radio Call-In Shows to All of the Pre-season Magazines, people looked at 8-9 wins.  That's not low.  Sorry that people don't expect to win 10-14 every year.

Cornhogio

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on August 19, 2005, 11:51:09 am
Well, YOU expected a SEC Title. I think sometimes you use your expectations as the consensus. From the Websites to Radio Call-In Shows to All of the Pre-season Magazines, people looked at 8-9 wins. That's not low. Sorry that people don't expect to win 10-14 every year.

Actually, I expected one heck of a lot better team than we got in '03.  We had just been to the SECCG (although we got blistered), and didn't lose a thing.  After I saw Texas play New Mexico State that year, I even predicted a win in Austin, and that it probably wouldn't be close.  The only team we played in '03 that had any business beating us was LSU, and that would have been in doubt except for some ate up play calling at the end of the first half.  Anyway, I don't think it was illogical to expect '03 to be a very good season for us, and HDN pissed it away. 

HogDodging

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on August 19, 2005, 11:51:09 am
Well, YOU expected a SEC Title. I think sometimes you use your expectations as the consensus. From the Websites to Radio Call-In Shows to All of the Pre-season Magazines, people looked at 8-9 wins. That's not low. Sorry that people don't expect to win 10-14 every year.

I'm sorry that you have low expectations of the program.  Don't get upset with me because I don't.
As long as nobody expects Nutt to win big, you'll be happy with him.

Bomis Hawg

I'm not upset with you.  You have your opinion of the season/program; as do I.  Looking at 03, it has an odd twist.  Beating Texas changed the entire perspective.  It was disappointing based on egos and talent.  Arkansas had the talent to go back-to-back.  Had the W's and L's been rearranged, the perspective probably would've been different.  You can't deny that based on the Texas and Alabama games made people's thoughts on the season that much worse -- being that those two games and LSU were the games Arkansas were likely to lose.

Biggus Piggus

Nobody anywhere close to the program expected the 2003 team to go 0-for-October even before Austin.  It was a domino effect, lose a stinker to Auburn, don't show up for Florida till most fans are leaving the stadium, complete offensive collapse at Oxford.  I certainly expected us to steamroll Alabama that year as we should have.  We beat them despite an incredible number of mistakes, which speaks to how bad they were.  We had the clearly superior team, and that's why the game wasn't over even when we were down huge.
[CENSORED]!

Turnberry

Arkansas goes to the next level when the talent level does. It will be interesting to see what peer coaches say within a year or two.

LSU has all these athletes at WR and TB, while its QBs still look second division. Arkansas is the same only not quite as stacked at WR. Who do you think better manages his way through the SEC under those conditions, Les Miles or Houston Nutt?

LSU has been unstable at the QB position the last 2 years, but they've addressed the situation by signing Ryan Perrilloux. 
Also, wise move in not comparing LSU's DL & LB's with ours........I don't think Miles is a good coach, but I guarantee you we won't be able to play with them this year.  And right now, this season, that's what I'm concerned with.

aka PlanoHog

HogInMemphis

I think Houston Nutt manages the game well, but Arkansas never looks likes it will take the next step in the evolution. ...

I'd like to know which SEC coach said the above. That's what I've been saying for the last 3 to 4 seasons. But what do I know? And what does that coach who said this know?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Turnberry on August 19, 2005, 12:50:28 pm

LSU has all these athletes at WR and TB, while its QBs still look second division. Arkansas is the same only not quite as stacked at WR. Who do you think better manages his way through the SEC under those conditions, Les Miles or Houston Nutt?

LSU has been unstable at the QB position the last 2 years, but they've addressed the situation by signing Ryan Perrilloux.
Also, wise move in not comparing LSU's DL & LB's with ours........I don't think Miles is a good coach, but I guarantee you we won't be able to play with them this year. And right now, this season, that's what I'm concerned with.

There you have it.  On the same board, I can get dinged for being biased against Nutt and for not being critical enough at the same time.  Yippee!  Now I know I'm doing something right.
[CENSORED]!

Cornhogio

Quote from: HogInMemphis on August 19, 2005, 12:51:55 pm
I think Houston Nutt manages the game well, but Arkansas never looks likes it will take the next step in the evolution. ...

I'd like to know which SEC coach said the above. That's what I've been saying for the last 3 to 4 seasons. But what do I know? And what does that coach who said this know?

Let's think about who might say it.  Croom?  Only one year in place; likely not.  Orgeron?  Noob.  Miles?  Noob.  Shula?  Own problems...doubt it.  Tuberville?  Possible.

East:  Spurrier?  Been away for awhile, but has the temperament to say something like that.  Fulmer?  My choice as the likely candidate.  Brooks?  Own problems.  Vandy coach?  Ditto.  Richt?  Would be out of character I think.  Meyers?  Noob.

So in my mind, there are three possibles, and frankly two more likely.  Tubervile or Fulmer.  I nominate Fulmer.

HogDodging

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on August 19, 2005, 12:05:52 pm
You can't deny that based on the Texas and Alabama games made people's thoughts on the season that much worse -- being that those two games and LSU were the games Arkansas were likely to lose.

Shoot, even after our lousy October, I still expected us to come out of Baton Rouge with a win.  And, for the first 12 or 13 minutes, it appeared we would.  Then LSU decided they'd had enough of messing around and showed us what a real SEC West champion looked like.

Bomis Hawg

I'd say Fulmer.  The luck, aside from last year, that Auburn has not had againt Arkansas should dictate otherwise from that comment.

Rhyno_Hawg

We had two major problems in 2003. Matt could only pass the ball if we had already established the run. Very few teams could stop our running game that year. But the few that did, basically shut us down. Auburn, FL, OM and LSU.  (FL and OM got lucky cause we had no RB's left, save Mark Pierce) When Cobbs was in there, we were a different team.

Also the Defense was big play prone. It has been for the past few years. I am so glad that we don't have to watch that gimmick defense anymore. Most of the SEC OC's had that scheme well figured out. Jimbo Fisher prolly drew up plays on Madden and used them against us. Geez.