Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is what I have a problem with re: quarterbacks.

Started by Thehammer, August 18, 2005, 05:16:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Thehammer

Okay, Nutt has proclaimed that RJ is "the man" under center this upcoming season.   Why am I still skeptical?   Why in the world do we just accept Nutt's word as gospel?  He painted the same glowing accolades for Ryan Sorohan and Travaris Jackson.  Also, given the three years that RJ has been at UA and;  the video I watched from the spring game of Johnson which was horrible, (1-6 for six yards);  how, in three months between spring and now -- did RJ suddenly become the second coming of Joe Montana?

Follow along with me here.  RJ has been at UA the same amount as Drew Tate at Iowa had last year.   I saw Johnson at last srping's practice, last fall practice and the most recent spring practice.   He wasn't a natural passer.  Is Nutt trying to say that after three years of working as qb, two springs and one fall that after not getting any better;  all of a sudden, in a three months span, RJ is throwing tight spirals and making the right checkoffs at the line of scrimmage.

Aren't we being asked to accept a lot on face value from a head coach who has shown a propensity for selling cotton candy to media and fans in the past?

Temprees

Yes, you are correct. I wouldn't trust Nutt.  Nutt convinced you guys that Matt Jones was a QB.  And we know how terrible Matt was passing.

Biggus Piggus

1. Okay, Nutt has proclaimed that RJ is "the man" under center this upcoming season.
2. Why in the world do we just accept Nutt's word as gospel?
3. He painted the same glowing accolades for Ryan Sorohan and Travaris Jackson.
4. Also, given the three years that RJ has been at UA and; the video I watched from the spring game of Johnson which was horrible, (1-6 for six yards); how, in three months between spring and now -- did RJ suddenly become the second coming of Joe Montana?

1. Johnson has been playing far better than everybody else has.
2. What's his word?  RJ is the starter.  There's no doubt about that.
3. Glowing accolades, whatever, Nutt knows he has one guy who's anywhere close to ready to play.
4. He didn't, he's just better than the others.

You're exaggerating this into something it is not.  Is he supposed to go around griping about the guy.  Help us, Obi-Wan Johnson, you're our only hope.  Seriously, I hope Mortensen is closer to ready by midseason than he is now.  He's still a youngster.
[CENSORED]!

Lando Calrissian

RJ is the starter because he's better than Mortensen and DEFINETELY better than Barthel.

Doesn't mean he's great...or even good.  And it certainly doesn't mean he's the "second coming of Joe Montana."

He is better than the other 2 guys.

Yes, it really is that simple.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Theolesnort

Quote from: Thehammer on August 18, 2005, 05:16:51 pm
Okay, Nutt has proclaimed that RJ is "the man" under center this upcoming season. Why am I still skeptical? Why in the world do we just accept Nutt's word as gospel? He painted the same glowing accolades for Ryan Sorohan and Travaris Jackson. Also, given the three years that RJ has been at UA and; the video I watched from the spring game of Johnson which was horrible, (1-6 for six yards); how, in three months between spring and now -- did RJ suddenly become the second coming of Joe Montana?

Follow along with me here. RJ has been at UA the same amount as Drew Tate at Iowa had last year. I saw Johnson at last srping's practice, last fall practice and the most recent spring practice. He wasn't a natural passer. Is Nutt trying to say that after three years of working as qb, two springs and one fall that after not getting any better; all of a sudden, in a three months span, RJ is throwing tight spirals and making the right checkoffs at the line of scrimmage.

Aren't we being asked to accept a lot on face value from a head coach who has shown a propensity for selling cotton candy to media and fans in the past?

I never thought anyone could question his arm strength or how well he passes the ball.  From everything I have seen of him this year, which has been very limited because the hernia/groin problem, I have been impressed.  I dont think Nutt is trying to imply that he is the second coming of Montana....only that he is the best option we have at this point.  I think the fact that Robert is not in anyone elses shadow now will do wonders for him.  I look for him to have a great year this year especially if they follow through with dump passes to the RBs.  He doesn't have to come in this season and be a gun slinger for us to be very successful this year.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

zmhogs

Why do we accept Nutts word? Well because hes the head coach.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Thehammer on August 18, 2005, 05:16:51 pm
Okay, Nutt has proclaimed that RJ is "the man" under center this upcoming season. Why am I still skeptical? Why in the world do we just accept Nutt's word as gospel? He painted the same glowing accolades for Ryan Sorohan and Travaris Jackson. Also, given the three years that RJ has been at UA and; the video I watched from the spring game of Johnson which was horrible, (1-6 for six yards); how, in three months between spring and now -- did RJ suddenly become the second coming of Joe Montana?

Follow along with me here. RJ has been at UA the same amount as Drew Tate at Iowa had last year. I saw Johnson at last srping's practice, last fall practice and the most recent spring practice. He wasn't a natural passer. Is Nutt trying to say that after three years of working as qb, two springs and one fall that after not getting any better; all of a sudden, in a three months span, RJ is throwing tight spirals and making the right checkoffs at the line of scrimmage.

Mitch Mustain is the second coming of Joe Montana. I know it's so because I read it on the Internet. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

BigSnout

Hammer, didn't you put a lot of words into HDN's mouth.  Nutt made Johnson the starting qb because he is the best man on campus.  You are not being asked to accept anything.  It is what it is.  Do you think that Nutt would be starting him if he didn't give him his best chances to win?

Queen Hog

I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller

bigred7987

RJ took on the role as team leader, buckled down this summer, and knows the playbook like a starting QB should...Hes the only one with gametime experience, and apparently is being the type of QB we need...one that wont fumble or throw the game away.  When I saw him last year vs. Ole Miss he looked plenty capable of a starting QB..made a couple of good passes and one nice run.  What part about what he does makes u think someone else should be the starter...well heres your choices of alternates after hearing what RJ can do
A) Alex Mortenson who needs another year and better throwing arm
B) Barthel who doesn't know half of the playbook yet
C) "Dick" who needs to adjust to college game speed before being thrown to the wolves

Thehammer

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 18, 2005, 05:32:13 pm
1. Okay, Nutt has proclaimed that RJ is "the man" under center this upcoming season.
4. Also, given the three years that RJ has been at UA and; the video I watched from the spring game of Johnson which was horrible, (1-6 for six yards); how, in three months between spring and now -- did RJ suddenly become the second coming of Joe Montana?

2. What's his word? RJ is the starter. There's no doubt about that.
3. Glowing accolades, whatever, Nutt knows he has one guy who's anywhere close to ready to play.

You're exaggerating this into something it is not. Is he supposed to go around griping about the guy. Help us, Obi-Wan Johnson, you're our only hope. Seriously, I hope Mortensen is closer to ready by midseason than he is now. He's still a youngster.

How do we know Johnson is playing better than Mortenson and Barthel?  Because Nutt says so?  I've seen vidieo of him for two springs and he was awful both times.

Nutt has done this before.   He tried to ram Ryan Sorohan and Travaris Jackson down our throats and move Matt Jones to wide receiver.   

As far as Nutt putting his best players on the field to give him the best chance to win:  Punter Jeremy Davis was a SEC freshman first teamer in most publications at the end of last season.   However, Nutt has deemed Jacob Skinner ahead of Davis.   DeCori Birmingham was named as the starting tailback last season when it was clear to everyone except the mentally challenged that he was not a pure tailback. 

C'mon and face facts Biggus and the rest of you.  Nutt goes with seniority ahead of talent.  If Adrian Peterson of Oklahoma had come to UA as a frosh last season, he would've either been buried on the depth chart or;  redshirted.

Thehammer

Quote from: BigSnout on August 18, 2005, 06:19:17 pm
Hammer, didn't you put a lot of words into HDN's mouth. Nutt made Johnson the starting qb because he is the best man on campus. You are not being asked to accept anything. It is what it is. Do you think that Nutt would be starting him if he didn't give him his best chances to win?

How do you and I KNOW he's the best man on campus?    You haven't seen him throw since spring.   You and I don't get a chance to see what Alex Mortenson can do in the fall camp.   Once again, IMO, we're having a bill of goods jammed down our throats by a head coach who sells nothing but cotton candy, false promises and one excuse after another.

bigred7987

I trust a staff of about a dozen coaches when it comes to comparing 3 QB's.  Who do you suggest be the starter if RJ isn't? Another thing is they arent saying hes the starter for the whole year...he is the one that has proven himself thus far in practice and so he gets the most reps with first team to prepare for games.  Now if he doesn't perform and someone else does then sure but your an idiot if u think that a coaching staff of 12 doesnt know what they are talking about.  Why would the staff announce RJ as starter if they didn't truly believe he was the best QB for the job....this isn't communist propaganda hammer....your trying to turn it into something its not

TulsaHogFan

I agree, who here knows how long the hernia hampered his playing ability.  He took all the practices with 1st string last year when Jones was here, and he is doing it now.

I remember the games last year wishing i could have seen him play more when Jones was not passing effectively. He always looked VERY good in warmups and always had that "zip" on the ball.  I think the kid needs to get one game of REAL game situations under his belt and someone in the huddle to be cracking jokes to calm him down.  I remember hearing Reith say he remembers Mark Pierce always coming back into the huddle talking trash about how he was going to kill (insert random opponent here) on the next down and how they all kind of giggled when he did it.  He needs someone to lighten the huddle and quickly so that he can realize its fun out there.

Thehammer

Quote from: bigred7987 on August 18, 2005, 06:55:30 pm
I trust a staff of about a dozen coaches when it comes to comparing 3 QB's. Who do you suggest be the starter if RJ isn't? Another thing is they arent saying hes the starter for the whole year...he is the one that has proven himself thus far in practice and so he gets the most reps with first team to prepare for games. Now if he doesn't perform and someone else does then sure but your an idiot if u think that a coaching staff of 12 doesnt know what they are talking about. Why would the staff announce RJ as starter if they didn't truly believe he was the best QB for the job....this isn't communist propaganda hammer....your trying to turn it into something its not

You trust a coaching staff that had George Pugh as a recruiting coordinator?   No of course it isn't communist propaganda.   Most folks on the hill will admit that Pugh was next to imcompetent as a recruiting coordinator.   That's not myth.  That's a fact.  Yet Nutt kept this man around for TWO years;  knowing how bad he scewed up with Reid McKinney at Warren.   Shoot!
Nutt had to travel to Warren to try to smooth everything over.  Why do you think Warren's HC directs most of his players somewhere outside of the state?

Thehammer

Quote from: Temprees on August 18, 2005, 05:23:15 pm
Yes, you are correct. I wouldn't trust Nutt. Nutt convinced you guys that Matt Jones was a QB. And we know how terrible Matt was passing.

Actually you need to get your facts straight.   Nutt did not name Matt Jones as the starting quarterback at UA and did not proclaim Matt as a "pure passer."

During the 2001 season, following anemic offensive productions;  Matt strode into Nutt's office where Nutt and David Lee were meeting and told them "I think I can help us on offense."  Up until then, Matt was targeted to redshirt as a wide receiiver.

Instantly, a legend was born.

Research first -- then post.

Thehammer

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on August 18, 2005, 05:34:43 pm
RJ is the starter because he's better than Mortensen and DEFINETELY better than Barthel.

Doesn't mean he's great...or even good. And it certainly doesn't mean he's the "second coming of Joe Montana."

He is better than the other 2 guys.

Yes, it really is that simple.

Says who?  Nutt?   I'm not trying to flame;  I just want to know this:  have you seen all three quarterbacks participate in fall dirills?

If you haven't you really don't know what you're talking about do you?

three

Quote from: Thehammer on August 18, 2005, 06:49:05 pm

You're exaggerating this into something it is not. Is he supposed to go around griping about the guy. Help us, Obi-Wan Johnson, you're our only hope. Seriously, I hope Mortensen is closer to ready by midseason than he is now. He's still a youngster.

How do we know Johnson is playing better than Mortenson and Barthel? Because Nutt says so? I've seen vidieo of him for two springs and he was awful both times.

Nutt has done this before. He tried to ram Ryan Sorohan and Travaris Jackson down our throats and move Matt Jones to wide receiver.

As far as Nutt putting his best players on the field to give him the best chance to win: Punter Jeremy Davis was a SEC freshman first teamer in most publications at the end of last season. However, Nutt has deemed Jacob Skinner ahead of Davis. DeCori Birmingham was named as the starting tailback last season when it was clear to everyone except the mentally challenged that he was not a pure tailback.

C'mon and face facts Biggus and the rest of you. Nutt goes with seniority ahead of talent. If Adrian Peterson of Oklahoma had come to UA as a frosh last season, he would've either been buried on the depth chart or; redshirted.
I know you're getting hammered Hammer but I'm with you. I'm not gonna accept anything just because Nutt says it because what do we think he's gonna do at this point, say all his QB's are awful ? Saturday's scrimmage is big. Problem is, RJ may not play. He was still sidelined today. When I asked HDN about RJ's status for Saturday he basically answered a question he wished I had asked.
Chuck and Clay said this tonight and I agree with them: Nutt has to find a QB who can handle an SEC blitz this season. Over and over.  If HDN finds his man the Hogs will have a fine season. If he doesn't watch out.
Thehammer is asking a legitimate question.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

zmhogs

Your dead wrong if you think HDN just plays guys based on thier seniority. I dont care how much you dislike HDN, to think he plays guys that arent the best at thier position is ludicris. Your right bout one thing, none of us have seen RJ, AM, or CB this fall but guess what HDN and the other coaches have. I guess you need to get out there and proclaim the starter.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: three on August 18, 2005, 08:36:29 pm
Quote from: Thehammer on August 18, 2005, 06:49:05 pm

How do we know Johnson is playing better than Mortenson and Barthel? Because Nutt says so? I've seen vidieo of him for two springs and he was awful both times.

Nutt has done this before. He tried to ram Ryan Sorohan and Travaris Jackson down our throats and move Matt Jones to wide receiver.

As far as Nutt putting his best players on the field to give him the best chance to win: Punter Jeremy Davis was a SEC freshman first teamer in most publications at the end of last season. However, Nutt has deemed Jacob Skinner ahead of Davis. DeCori Birmingham was named as the starting tailback last season when it was clear to everyone except the mentally challenged that he was not a pure tailback.

C'mon and face facts Biggus and the rest of you. Nutt goes with seniority ahead of talent. If Adrian Peterson of Oklahoma had come to UA as a frosh last season, he would've either been buried on the depth chart or; redshirted.
I know you're getting hammered Hammer but I'm with you. I'm not gonna accept anything just because Nutt says it because what do we think he's gonna do at this point, say all his QB's are awful ? Saturday's scrimmage is big. Problem is, RJ may not play. He was still sidelined today. When I asked HDN about RJ's status for Saturday he basically answered a question he wished I had asked.
Chuck and Clay said this tonight and I agree with them: Nutt has to find a QB who can handle an SEC blitz this season. Over and over.  If HDN finds his man the Hogs will have a fine season. If he doesn't watch out.
Thehammer is asking a legitimate question.

How exactly did you ask Nutt this, you are a very slipery one mr finch.

Hawgbrew

Hammer, who should start and why.  From what I have seen RJ looks like a QB with alot of talent that has been waiting for his chance to shine.  He is going to get that chance.  He has good mobility and a great arm.  I personally cant wait to see him play.  Sure, he may end up sucking it up.  But every since I saw him check off on the play against NMSU last year and hit Baker on the fly for a TD I couldn't wait to see more.  Why don't you give the guy a chance.  I guess you just gotta have something to criticise Nutt about.

RazorRedneck

Hammer do you really believe Nutt has some conspiracy going in which he would not put the best players on the field.  Nutt coaching seat is still warm regardless of the Mitch commitment and I can not see him not putting the best players on the field regardless of their seniority.  I would bet we will See Felix Jones start some games this year.

Biggus Piggus

The guy who's gonna start is the guy who has been through two seasons and two spring practices, the one who got all the second-team reps last year.  That will change only if Johnson completely yellowstains.  Will somebody like Mortensen get game reps?  I bet so, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him worked in as a passing specialist as the season goes on.  If opposing defenses can stop us when RJ's in the game by overloading the LOS, prompting poor decisions by the QB, then Nutt will try Mort in a more balanced set of plays, trying to establish a more serious pass threat.  I don't see them heaping all on RJ and living or dying with him.
[CENSORED]!

RazorRedneck