Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Due to our suffering PG play and Bev's decreasing shot attempts..........

Started by L.A., January 19, 2008, 04:24:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Pel move Bev to the point guard position?

Yes, move him to the Point.
13 (54.2%)
No, leave him at SG
11 (45.8%)

Total Members Voted: 24

L.A.

Just a hypothetical question, none of us are coaches but I just wanted to see what the fans think :razorback:

(note) Most experts are saying that if Bev is gonna play at the next level he will have to transtion to the PG position.

jltackel

Quote from: lower_arkansas on January 19, 2008, 04:24:04 pm
Just a hypothetical question, none of us are coaches but I just wanted to see what the fans think  :razorback:

I think it would take some pressure off him, he's having trouble now, scoring fighting through screens and so forth what do you have to lose? I think it would cut down on turnovers. and without so much attention on him his point average may start increasing I don't think it could hurt

L.A.

Quote from: jltackel on January 19, 2008, 04:37:51 pm
I think it would take some pressure off him, he's having trouble now, scoring fighting through screens and so forth what do you have to lose? I think it would cut down on turnovers. and without so much attention on him his point average may start increasing I don't think it could hurt

I agree, cut down on TO's at the same time giving Bev experience for what he will probably be doing for a living.  Since Sonny and Darian (for the most part) have stepped up their scoring, I think why not move Bev to point.  Who knows, maybe moving Welsh back to his natural postion would increase his offense as well.

hogfankb

No he isn't a very good ball handler. I'm not saying he isn't better than what we have but he isn't strong enough with the ball to handle it the whole game.

jltackel

Quote from: hogfankb on January 19, 2008, 04:50:20 pm
No he isn't a very good ball handler. I'm not saying he isn't better than what we have but he isn't strong enough with the ball to handle it the whole game.

I think he's strong enough, I don't think it would hurt to find out couldn't be any worse than the helter skelter game Ervin brings

Uncle_dad

One of the few things Heath did that was smart was have his small lineup and big lineup.  Sometimes he would move Brewer out to the point, play Townes at the 4, and put Hill at the 5.  I think it would be interesting to at least try this lineup:  Bev-1; Weems-2; Thomas-3; Townes-4; Hill-5.  I know that bal handling could be a problem and a full-court press would kill us, but think of the offensive mismatches this would create.  If Hill could develop a consistent 12 foot jump shot, he and Townes could be very effective at a high/low post game.  I've seen Thomas show signs of being a decent outside shooter.  I think this would be effective if used at the right moments of the game.

I realize I'm no expert on this, but it's not like we can turn the ball over any more!

hogfankb

Quote from: jltackel on January 19, 2008, 04:59:05 pm
I think he's strong enough, I don't think it would hurt to find out couldn't be any worse than the helter skelter game Ervin brings

He seems to be better this year than last. Probably because of the added weight. But with all of the pick and roll stuff we run I don't think he handles the traps very well and he gets a lot of his points off jump shots out of the corner while the defense is rotating after the trap.

jltackel

Quote from: hogfankb on January 19, 2008, 05:07:21 pm
He seems to be better this year than last. Probably because of the added weight. But with all of the pick and roll stuff we run I don't think he handles the traps very well and he gets a lot of his points off jump shots out of the corner while the defense is rotating after the trap.

That's true. but he's not getting his shot now because of all the attention he draws. now, so what do you do ? I'm no expert I just think it would be more stablelizing with him at point. 

The_Iceman

1- Bev
2- Welsh (is natural position)
3- Weems
4- Thomas
5- Hill/Townes