Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ignorant Fans!!!!

Started by Big Austin, January 17, 2008, 06:30:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Austin

At the opening of every basketball season for the last 4 to 5 years hog fans have been over optimistic.  Within a few weeks of the season we will lose 2 or 3 games that we feel we should win and everyone starts blaming the coach.  When Nolan's teams started to decline everyone jumped off the 40 minutes of hell wagon.  All of a sudden Nolan can't coach and Nolan can't recruit started being heard statewide.  The program dwindled toward the end of his career and Stan Heath was brought in to revitalize the program.  He brought in top recruit after top recruit and the fans were still disgusted with the way the team was playing(Including Myself).  Now Coach Pel has these so called top recruits in what most of us consider a superior system and the results are very similar to Heath's.  The common denominator for each system has been the players.  How many pro caliber players did we have Nolans good years compared to now?  I can't think of one since he left the team. So, lets give the coach a break and realize the talent level is still not conducive to consistent success.  Give the man a year or two and if the team still sucks then he didn't do his job.  Thats a year or two not a month or two.  Don't be ignorant fans and gripe when career underachievers continue much of the same.  Support the program through the down times.  Things appear to be getting better OVERALL but this years players are the same we lost with last year.  Let the man coach his recruits before we start questioning.

bd93

January 17, 2008, 06:36:07 pm #1 Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 06:38:39 pm by bd93
Quote from: Big Austin on January 17, 2008, 06:30:15 pm
At the opening of every basketball season for the last 4 to 5 years hog fans have been over optimistic.  Within a few weeks of the season we will lose 2 or 3 games that we feel we should win and everyone starts blaming the coach.  When Nolan's teams started to decline everyone jumped off the 40 minutes of hell wagon.  All of a sudden Nolan can't coach and Nolan can't recruit started being heard statewide.  The program dwindled toward the end of his career and Stan Heath was brought in to revitalize the program.  He brought in top recruit after top recruit and the fans were still disgusted with the way the team was playing(Including Myself).  Now Coach Pel has these so called top recruits in what most of us consider a superior system and the results are very similar to Heath's.  The common denominator for each system has been the players.  How many pro caliber players did we have Nolans good years compared to now?  I can't think of one since he left the team. So, lets give the coach a break and realize the talent level is still not conducive to consistent success.  Give the man a year or two and if the team still sucks then he didn't do his job.  Thats a year or two not a month or two.  Don't be ignorant fans and gripe when career underachievers continue much of the same.  Support the program through the down times.  Things appear to be getting better OVERALL but this years players are the same we lost with last year.  Let the man coach his recruits before we start questioning.

Bud, I agree on what you said but we have had a pro caliber player since Nolan.  But we had...Ronnie Brewer.  Just sayin...

Big Austin

If thats all we had then the cupboard was bare.

bd93

Big Austin

I get tired of people expecting Corey Beck, Todd Day, and Corliss production out of players like Ervin, Weems, and Hill. 

slopinhogs

i wouldn't get to excited this is the same team we have watched for the last four years, and they have always been underachievers.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

stchane

2 years isn't even fair.  Give him a chance to recruit players that are ALL his.  Give him a chance to get his system in place with HIS players.  Thats when we will see how good he really is. 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

ImapigUrapig

Thank you for stating the obvious.This superman comprison is just unreal with most of our fans.Remember the Twilight Zone episode where the kid ate pizza and ice cream for dinner EVERY n ight.He got sick of it.You have to have some heartache to enjoy the victories.We ain't gonna win em all people.

bricklayer

Some of these knuckleheads just post crap to see what people will say in a reply.  They can't be stupid enough to actually think that we have lost the FOUR games we've lost because of coaching can they?  I go back to the old saying that if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all.  I'm sick of ignorant people making negative posts!

clifflee4mvp

doesn't matter who the coach is really. Pel has them in better condition but the things that haunted Stan's teams haunt this one too. The two that stick out in my mind are free throw shooting (especially down the strecth) and 3-point defense. I'm pretty sure our opponents have shot about 85% from 3-point range the last 5 years!
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

3kgthog

Having no shooters, a starting center that can't score, and no PG that can execute something as simple as a bounce pass will make any coach look bad. If we get to Courtney Fortson's and Rotnei Clarke's sophomore seasons and we're still having trouble then we can start up the "Fire Pel" bus. 

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 18, 2008, 01:47:06 am
Having no shooters, a starting center that can't score, and no PG that can execute something as simple as a bounce pass will make any coach look bad. If we get to Courtney Fortson's and Rotnei Clarke's sophomore seasons and we're still having trouble then we can start up the "Fire Pel" bus. 

Yep. How'd you like the 10000 people screaming at our guards to "Feed Hill" or "Get it to Hill" after Steven makes a couple of bunnies and one nice hook shot? Idiots crack me up
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Hog are ya

I do agree.  I think most of the fans with the negative Pel vibe are prolly in the younger demographic, and the negative ones are the minority.  He has a system he is unable to instill with this group and there are growing pains, (but think he is learning in the process), and I'm anxious to see how the year plays out.

Older fans remember Nolans first year.  He, following Eddie Sutton, actually found a program in better shape the previous years than what Pel steps into.  Yet, his system was torture the first year with a loosing season.  And if you think he had less talent for his system than Pel, I could argue that.  Guys like Lang, Mills, Ratliff, Irvin could certinly run the floor and Freeman would be gold for Pel as a point guard.  Yet, we struggled putting in the system the first couple years.  Then what happened?  Give it a chance and we could help by bringing some energy to Bud as fans and supporting this guy in his endeavors! 

I think Pel has all the tools to be a great one in the future.

Hog are ya

Quote from: Hog are ya on January 18, 2008, 02:16:57 am
I do agree.  I think most of the fans with the negative Pel vibe are prolly in the younger demographic, and the negative ones are the minority.  He has a system he is unable to instill with this group and there are growing pains, (but think he is learning in the process), and I'm anxious to see how the year plays out.

Older fans remember Nolans first year.  He, following Eddie Sutton, actually found a program in better shape the previous years than what Pel steps into.  Yet, his system was torture the first year with a loosing season.  And if you think he had less talent for his system than Pel, I could argue that.  Guys like Lang, Mills, Ratliff, Irvin could certinly run the floor and Freeman would be gold for Pel as a point guard.  Yet, we struggled putting in the system the first couple years.  Then what happened?  Give it a chance and we could help by bringing some energy to Bud as fans and supporting this guy in his endeavors! 

I think Pel has all the tools to be a great one in the future.

And another random thought on that.  Heath stepped into the most difficult situation between the last three coaches, his cupboard was bare.  But he too, got his system going a bit after a difficult transition and had them set for a tournament path each year.   But that's not enough with what our history is and Pel deserves a chance to see if he can take us where Nolan did maybe beyond.  I think his third, fourthish year we may be at a point where we have an exciting team that has a chance to make a run going into the tournament.  If that's the case, means it would probably get better from there with our tradition as long as he's here!