Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching

Started by Dillon23, January 17, 2008, 03:21:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillon23

I have yet to fully jump on the JP bandwagon, I like his fire and passion and I think he will do a good job, but I am not impressed so far.  Some say we need to wait until he gets the players to run his system, but I don't think he could have hand picked a better group for his defense, yet they are not doing much with that press, and they play no defense on the perimeter.  The 3 point line is too close and that shot is easy without some pressure on the shooter.  Teams are killing us with the three and for some reason we continue to let them shoot it.  That seams to be a coaching problem.  I just don't sense the passion from the players, and that could be a holdover problem from Heath.  Hopefully Pel will beat it out of them.  For me, the jury is still out on JP.

Hard to get the quickness on the perimeter with a group of front court players.  A match up zone might work better sometimes but our players find themselves guarding much quicker players than they are most of the time.  What is a shame, maybe we can't defend the little quick players, but when they miss they should never ever get a rebound.  Some times they will get 3 or 4 bounds until someone finally makes it.  We used to call that being lazy.  I think it still is.

Dillon23

Good point, I just think that Ervin, Welsh, Britt, and Beverly, have enough speed for a good press....Weems is perfect for the halfcourt rover, then Hill staying back under the basket as a safety net.  Washington could play alongside Weems or relieve him, same goes for Townes and Hill.  I can bet you that Nolan could form one hell of a press with this roster.  It just takes a little extra motivation sometimes. I think the difference in Pel and Nolan is not in the knowledge of coaching or the fire in the belly, it is simply the fear factor.  Nolan's kids had the fear of God in their eye when he spoke, we haven't seen that same kind of respect since he left.

claycohog

The only thing positive about Pelphrey right now is that he isn't Heath.  The jury is still out, but he deserves his own players.  My biggest problem is that many people think Pel can do no wrong.  That is unfair to him and the fan base.  Unfortunately he looks to be a work in progress just like our team.