Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bandwagon Pel Fans

Started by hogballplayer30, January 17, 2008, 01:58:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogballplayer30

One week he gets a win and is the greatest coach ever, one week he gets a loss and people are saying pel was a mistake...ridiculous.

Ross U (HDHF)

I still love our coach.  He didn't lose that game for us last night.  Lack of hustle and guard play beat us last night. 

dclay89

he's my favorite coach week in and week out! he's not out on the court (although i wish he would get out there sometimes).. i mean honestly.. he has Gary ErBin as a point guard and we have a winning record.. we'll be ok

hogballplayer30

It just makes me mad when people will say wow I cant believe we lost blah blah blah like any one of us can do a better job.  In the sec anyone can get beat (Vandy dropped to Kentucky)....bottom line.  Pel is the future of Arkansas basketball plain and simple.

OLDHOG

Pel is still the man. Wait till he get's his own players.

Beaverfever

Quote from: hogballplayer30 on January 17, 2008, 02:09:29 pm
It just makes me mad when people will say wow I cant believe we lost blah blah blah like any one of us can do a better job.  In the sec anyone can get beat (Vandy dropped to Kentucky)....bottom line.  Pel is the future of Arkansas basketball plain and simple.
He might be but no one knows for sure.  I will wait till he gets his players to judge but this team probably isn't as good as it was last year and that is a bit concerning.

opineonswine

Quote from: hogballplayer30 on January 17, 2008, 01:58:32 pm
One week he gets a win and is the greatest coach ever, one week he gets a loss and people are saying pel was a mistake...ridiculous.

downright embarrassing.  My gosh people.  Give the man a chance.  Stan Heath was a nice guy but a loser.  His loser attitude rubbed off on those he coached for 4 years.  Rome wasn't built in a day.  You can't play basketball without guards.  We have none.

Milton

I'm not judging him yet, not until  he gets the players he wants atleast.
Quote from: Douglas on December 04, 2012, 06:23:54 pm
We've had it with 1 hit wonders coming in, making posts reeking of wanton jackwagonry and then not doing anything about it.

Oliver

I never said he was the greatest coach ever and I certainly having said that hiring Pelphrey was a mistake.  It's too early to tell what kind of coach Pelphrey will be while here at Arkansas.  I have for the most part been disappointed with Pelphrey so far this year.  But these aren't his players and we'll see how he'll do in the next couple of years.

bd93

Oh yes fire Pel now!  Half a season is enough time to tell if he is a good coach.  And he is not.  BTW,  it is always the coaches fault!

[sarcasim]

Pigonometry

We have already come from behind in the second half or OT to win four games (Missouri, Baylor, at Auburn and Bama) that we would most likely have lost last year with Heath at the helm.  We had a bump in the road last night but, Coach Pel is doing just fine.
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

Razorback88

I still think Pel was a good hire, but I also think I have the right to criticize him when he allows his team to lose a gimme game like last night.  Pointing out his mistakes doesn't mean I don't think he's the right man for the job.  Last night was an awful performance by everyone, including the head coach.  There's no sugarcoating that.

Newcoachplease

You think Pel is bad, go watch a South Florida game

hogballplayer30

Quote from: Razorback88 on January 17, 2008, 08:43:50 pm
I still think Pel was a good hire, but I also think I have the right to criticize him when he allows his team to lose a gimme game like last night.  Pointing out his mistakes doesn't mean I don't think he's the right man for the job.  Last night was an awful performance by everyone, including the head coach.  There's no sugarcoating that.
I don't think there any "gimmie" game sin the SEC.

Hogphilia

Pel has my suppport every week....He is a solid coach and most of all after the 10 years of dishonesty in the football program, it is nice to be able to trust what Pel says and does.

We still have the legacy left by Stan Heath - uninspired, lackadaisacal play....How many times do you see a loose ball come down in the vicinity of 3 of our players and they all wait for someone else to retrieve the ball until finally the opposition picks of the possession?  Happens time and time again.

Some players at times, don't even jump for a rebound...

It is much better now as Pel is requiring more effort but they sometimes lapse back into the Heath habit.

bballhawg15

when you get in sec play, its harder to win games. dont blame pelphrey.

wheelhorse

I don't post much if at all but I would like to chime in..Didn't Nolan have a couple of rough years when he started until he got his own players in his system????? I think his first year was 12-16..I say give him time...

HotlantaHog

I am not judging him yet. I had hoped for more from a team filled with seniors, and I still am hoping for more by year's end. If it takes a few years for Pel to recruit his own players to build a great team, so be it.

I will be at the Georgia game and hoping a lot of Hog fans show up Saturday night -- I think there is a very good chance for a victory away from home, and we can all go back to proclaiming what a basketball genuis Coach P is! This is a big game!

Sow’sEar

no matter what happens this year, I feel that Pelphrey will be a great coach.  He has already shown that he can recruit.  With less than an entire recruiting season, he brings in a nationally ranked class.  He is fun to watch coach on the sidelines.  He will do fine.  Let's not have one of those HDN quick triggers.

Sow’sEar

Quote from: wheelhorse on January 18, 2008, 10:07:00 am
I don't post much if at all but I would like to chime in..Didn't Nolan have a couple of rough years when he started until he got his own players in his system????? I think his first year was 12-16..I say give him time...
Early on, Nolan was one game away from being fired.  I have always heard from folks that seemed to be in the know, that if Nolan had lost the NIT game against Arkansas State he was gone.  Luckily, we held on and won, and the rest is history.

jgphillips3

Pel is a fine coach.  He is young and still learning, but he seems to have all the intangibles necessary to win and he is recruiting like his hair is on fire.  Guys, you can't coach a fat kid to run the 40 in 4.3 and you can't make Gary Ervin a consistent player.  He is 24, set in his ways and as good as he is ever going to get.  Coaching can improve players, but it can't turn Steven Hill into Shaq or Gary Ervin into John Stockton.  It takes recruiting to bring the raw skill to campus and coaching to bring out the best from that raw skill. 

Anyone who is on Pel's back right now about anything other than a called play (X's & O's) is just being ridiculous.  Once the man has two full recruiting classes of his own players on campus and that second class is in conference play, then and only then will we begin to see what kind of coach he can be.  Nolan looked like a genius when the likes of Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, Big Nasty, Scotty Thurman, Corey Beck and such were on campus and didn't look so hot in his first few or last few years when there was virtually no talent on the team.  They played hard for sure, but the talent on campus makes the coach as much as his knowledge of the game. 

Many people vastly overrated the talent on campus.  Even one solid point guard would make this team much better.  Not having that point guard has to be laid at the feet of Heath who was in charge of recruiting before Pel.  It would appear that he is bringing in a fine point guard and that will be remedied.  However, we can't hang Pel on the cross Stan erected any more than we could blame Heath for Nolan's players or Nolan for Eddie's players.  Give it a rest, support the team and get ready for better days.  Only time will tell if Pel is a hall of fame coach or just a good coach, but he deserves to at least get to his third season before unfair criticism is lodged against him.  I am not decrying any criticism, some criticism can be fair, but a lot of people are WAY over the top right now.

I like Pel so far.  How would you coach this team.  Only 1 or 2 players giving effort at any one time.  Standing around on O and D.  It takes 5 to beat 5.  On any given possession, we never have 5 all onboard together.  We usually are playing from 2 to 4 against the other teams 5.  We fail to operate as a unit on both O and D.  We are lucky to get a half of BB out of any one player scattered throughout the game.  We usually have 2 players in shutdown mode on D while the other 3 are playing the old slap and grab with no rebound.  On O, we don't move so the timing is always off.  This team is a loser unless they are planning to start giving 40 minutes of 100 percent effort.  100 percent effort will win us several games even without a PG.