Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boys..This One Was On The Coach!

Started by gusaholic, January 16, 2008, 11:29:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gusaholic

Before you get all over this post.  I LOVE THE COACH!  He is doing a great job, BUT he did not adjust to the flow of the game.  No question about it that tonight we were outmanned at guard, SO you have to adjust to that deficiency.  The team tonight got played by a well coached team, plain and simple.  Hopefully after reviewing the tape, we will be able to adjust to some of the outstanding guard play that we are going to see in this league. 

chiefsfan

Quote from: gusaholic on January 16, 2008, 11:29:22 pm
Before you get all over this post.  I LOVE THE COACH!  He is doing a great job, BUT he did not adjust to the flow of the game.  No question about it that tonight we were outmanned at guard, SO you have to adjust to that deficiency.  The team tonight got played by a well coached team, plain and simple.  Hopefully after reviewing the tape, we will be able to adjust to some of the outstanding guard play that we are going to see in this league. 

Okay mr head coch.  Which one of our guards magically had the power to stop this guy that Pel didnt think of?  You make it sound so simple...  It really isnt.  We have no guard play...we cant magically pull someone out of thin air to defend someone who is torching us almost every time down the floor
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

adosbor

agreed -- you can't do anything in that situation without a decent 1 guard.

Welsh started = head wasn't in the game; several mistakes right off the bat...

Ervin comes in = enough said...  (how many pick n rolls did he miss Towns with???)

Britt even came in for a while to help out = he's not expierenced enough

not much to work with there for Pel...

Rayzback

How many of their shots were made with less then 10 on the shot clock?  I lost count...
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

gusaholic

Thanks!  You made my point, as I said their guard play was better than ours.  So, what do you do?

Oh, you can run a triangle and two and make their big guys beat you.  Or, you can sag your big guys with strong help side defense and make their big guys beat you.  Just a couple of ideas.  I just think that Coach Pel was a little hard headed tonight down the stretch. 

If he would have changed some half court defense at the end--it might have made difference.  It sure would not have hurt.

chiefsfan

Quote from: gusaholic on January 16, 2008, 11:42:45 pm
Thanks!  You made my point, as I said their guard play was better than ours.  So, what do you do?

Oh, you can run a triangle and two and make their big guys beat you.  Or, you can sag your big guys with strong help side defense and make their big guys beat you.  Just a couple of ideas.  I just think that Coach Pel was a little hard headed tonight down the stretch. 

If he would have changed some half court defense at the end--it might have made difference.  It sure would not have hurt.

a triangle and 2?  Okay how do you expect a team to run a defense it A hasnt pracitced, and B Still involves putting one of our outmanned guards on their star player.

The theory is the same, someone has to play man on downy, triangle and 2 or not.  There was not one player on this team who could stop him
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

antonio65

Pel needs to have their ass in the gym by at last 0600 tomorrow morning.  That was absolutely terrible.  We were up 7 and our guards turned it over 3 trips in a row. To me was the turning point.  We never recovered.  Townes was a joke tonight.  Hill going up to the hoop in the second half like he is shooting touch shots from 2' out and does not convert at the free throw line when he is fouled. He should be tearing someone's arms off if they get it his way.  Thomas letting his man constantly get inside position. Guards getting beat down court.

TERRIBLE.

PorkRyan

I just think that Coach Pel was a little hard headed tonight down the stretch. 

I was at the game and I said the same thing to the guy beside me.  Pelphrey was stubborn tonight.  SC would high screen with whomever Hill/Townes was defending to get him out of the lane and then Downey would break us down off the dribble.  It happened all night long.  We went zone for a little while and it seemed to work but we got right out of it.  On offense, Beverley was taken out of the game by SC doubling him everytime he touched the ball.

Our guys are not defending like they did last year in the half court and I can't figure out why.

hillhog

Quote from: Rayzback on January 16, 2008, 11:42:41 pm
How many of their shots were made with less then 10 on the shot clock?  I lost count...
In addition to that how many balls were on the floor and I don't recall us getting ANY of them.

hillhog

We had SC outsized, most times we took the ball inside, we scored, drew a foul, we got Hill involved in the offense, something good  happened. Why did we not concentrate on that? Hill with 12 in the first half, 3 in the 2nd half.

PeytonManningSUCKS

I'd say where coach went wrong was sticking with Hill and Welsh late.  I know hill had a good game, but Townes is our inside scorer, we went inside to hill too many times late and they just fouled him knowing he would only hit %50 from the line.

naturalbornpigger

You will lose if you:

1. Have too many turnovers.
2. Miss free throws at the end of the game.
3. Don't defend the 3

The coach can't do any of these. 

We will continue to improve.  We will make the tourney.  Pelphrey can coach.

castrated hog

You have to make the free throws at the end of the game to win when the score is that close...they choked.

returntoglory

i believe i started a thread about this after the auburn game saying how we were lucky to win that one and somebody said that i was whining. its not whining when you see something that you need to work on (free throws, turnovers, etc.) and point it out. last night we got our tails handed to us because we didnt do better on the things that we screwed up on the last few games. and it came back and bit us.

BCShogs

Somebody tell me how this team is any better than last years's. I think they played better defense last year. The teams we have played in conference thus far were a combined 0-5 before last night. Auburn beat LSU last night, but LSU couldn't beat UCA. The West is pathetic this year, but I will still be surprised if we finish above .500 in conference play. Next year can't come soon enough.

cityhog

Quote from: PorkRyan on January 16, 2008, 11:58:36 pm
I was at the game and I said the same thing to the guy beside me.  Pelphrey was stubborn tonight.  SC would high screen with whomever Hill/Townes was defending to get him out of the lane and then Downey would break us down off the dribble.  It happened all night long.  We went zone for a little while and it seemed to work but we got right out of it.  On offense, Beverley was taken out of the game by SC doubling him everytime he touched the ball.

Our guys are not defending like they did last year in the half court and I can't figure out why.

I thought that is why Barnes was brought in, to bring Pel's defencencies to his attn.

zebra

We don't go zone because they are the second best 3 point shooting team in the SEC, and last night they were on fire.  Late in the game, they were shooting 47 % from 3 point range, they missed their last couple to drop them to 38% for the game.

Pel can't handle the ball for the guards, he can only hope they don't turn it over, clearly that remains a problem.  Hopefully Pel's players that he brings in will be able to do some of the things, that is seems are such a weakness right now (shooting, ball handling, decision making, etc)

freethrow

Quote from: zebra on January 17, 2008, 11:22:38 am

Pel can't handle the ball for the guards, he can only hope they don't turn it over, clearly that remains a problem.  Hopefully Pel's players that he brings in will be able to do some of the things, that is seems are such a weakness right now (shooting, ball handling, decision making, etc)

Quote from Harry King: "At 47-44, I glanced at the monitor in front of the Arkansas broadcast team.
Arkansas had 15 turnovers, South Carolina only eight and the Gamecocks had scored 18 off the Razorbacks' mistakes. By the time I found a place for that nugget, South Carolina led 54-46 and had scored 20 points off 17 turnovers."

No matter who Coach Pel runs out there this year, he is stuck with this kind of talent. It will be painful to watch until Heath's recruits are gone.

TRUHOG718

The only play I saw that I blamed Pel for was the set play lob pass to Hill near the end.  Hill catches that pass about 50% of the time and dunks it. The other 50% usually end up in someones soda in the 3rd row because of Hills Butter Fingers. I would have went with a more high percentage play that time of the game.  Other than that Pel its pretty much limited with point guard situation so ya cant really put the game on him. At least I cant.   Theres only so much you can do from the bench.   WPS
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: RanSolo on January 17, 2008, 09:36:14 am
I'd say where coach went wrong was sticking with Hill and Welsh late.  I know hill had a good game, but Townes is our inside scorer, we went inside to hill too many times late and they just fouled him knowing he would only hit %50 from the line.
Quote from: TRUHOG718 on January 17, 2008, 11:32:38 am
The only play I saw that I blamed Pel for was the set play lob pass to Hill near the end.  Hill catches that pass about 50% of the time and dunks it. The other 50% usually end up in someones soda in the 3rd row because of Hills Butter Fingers. I would have went with a more high percentage play that time of the game.  Other than that Pel its pretty much limited with point guard situation so ya cant really put the game on him. At least I cant.   Theres only so much you can do from the bench.   WPS
+1 That's what I was what I was saying.   I know Hill had a good game, but don't rely on that aberration late in the game.

DeltaBoy

Pel is doing the best he can with Stans players.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ConwayHog

I think you need to stick to football.

porkenstein

i agree that Pel takes this one.

-player wound way too tight
-needed to get some minutes out of Cox, Pasta, or Rake last night. ervin, welsh, and britt were deplorable. give one of the young guys a chance, what could it really have hurt?

-ummm, townes, if he's not scoring his game goes to crap.

-hill, i love ya' brother, for the love of god learn to catch the ball. great defensive plays.

i wish opponents would quit hitting every gdamned shot that they jack up with 4 seconds on the shot clock. i don't know how many shots for S. Carolina were fade away jumpers with the shot clock expiring, but it was a lot.

charles thomas played maybe the worst game of his career, including missing Weems on a wide open cut in the last few minutes that would have tied the game. i mean wide open, standing in the lane unguarded all by himself, while thomas just looked at him. everyone in the building was like, "Ahhhhh, pass the ball!!!!!"""""""""ARRRRRRRRRRRRRrr"""""""""""""""""""

god what a horrible game. horrible. the refs sucked also.

MF

I was there.  You're wrong.

1)  Welsh is a turnover machine.  He has replaced Catfish Hunter as the person I most fear touching the ball.
2)  Ervin thinks he's 6'6" and can drive the lane amongst the trees only to get swatted into next week.
3)  Something was up with Beverly.  He barely shot the ball last night.
4)  For some reason, they weren't giving Townes the ball.  He's our leading scorer for god's sake! 
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

BrooklynRoss

January 17, 2008, 01:23:44 pm #24 Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 01:34:35 pm by BrooklynRoss
Bah! I wouldn't blame Pel. No matter how well you can coach you need a floor leader. Nobody wants this role but maybe Bev and he's obviously a combination of distracted and waiting for Ervin and Welsh to do their jobs. Anyway, it's hard to coach every pass but that's what Pel is being asked to do this year. Give it time.

We have a top-notch recruiting class coming in next year with an EMPHASIS on correcting the point guard problem. Fortson is running the show for the number 1 HS team in the nation (as of Jan. 7th) and every interview with him clues the reader in on the fact that this kid eats drinks breaths sleeps and lives winning. Rotnei Clarke can play the point as well and it's not news when I say he's got enough killer instinct and winning attitude to spread around. Both of these guys are going to shine when the other team can't risk focusing on them individually.

In short, things will be quite different with a point guard.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

porkenstein

Quote from: MF on January 17, 2008, 01:20:22 pm

1)  Welsh is a turnover machine.  He has replaced Catfish Hunter as the person I most fear touching the ball.
2)  Ervin thinks he's 6'6" and can drive the lane amongst the trees only to get swatted into next week.
4)  For some reason, they weren't giving Townes the ball.  He's our leading scorer for god's sake! 

i was there too. i blame Pel for being wound up too tight. he needed to come off his standard rotation and get some different looks on the floor. your player assessment is mostly correct, i blame Pel for not switching it up.

gettinpiggywithit

Yeah, why didn't Pel make a coaching adjustment that made every ball bounce our way instead of theirs. Why didn't he make an adjustment that made the referees make better calls (everyone knows we get screwed in BWA). Why didn't he make adjustments to prevent them from throwing up shots with 3 left on the shot clock and netting them.  OHH...thats right...those are the INTANGIBLE things that happen in a game and therefore cannot be coached against. I agree we had too many turnovers and missed free throws, but get real...we kept clawing back and kept fighting...but in the end...the ball bounced their way EVERY time.
Let those who do, do. Let those who spew, spew.

porkenstein

Quote from: gettinpiggywithit on January 17, 2008, 01:52:44 pm
Yeah, why didn't Pel make a coaching adjustment that made every ball bounce our way instead of theirs. Why didn't he make an adjustment that made the referees make better calls (everyone knows we get screwed in BWA). Why didn't he make adjustments to prevent them from throwing up shots with 3 left on the shot clock and netting them.  OHH...thats right...those are the INTANGIBLE things that happen in a game and therefore cannot be coached against. I agree we had too many turnovers and missed free throws, but get real...we kept clawing back and kept fighting...but in the end...the ball bounced their way EVERY time.

yeah, and despite all that we were a couple of points away from winning.

hogballplayer30

Quote from: gettinpiggywithit on January 17, 2008, 01:52:44 pm
+1

zebra

Quote from: MF on January 17, 2008, 01:20:22 pm

You are correct, Beverly jaw is wired shut.  I am sure he is feeling a little different.

porkenstein

bwbcpa

January 17, 2008, 03:21:45 pm #31 Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 03:23:35 pm by bwbcpa
I couldn't go to last night's game, but I've been to the others this year and what I have decided is this group has no leadership on the court and doesn't want anyone to step up. With a few exceptions (Townes), they act as if they just want to get this season done and move on. JP can't go on the court and play for them.  The players, for whatever reason, well... never mind. As for Coach Pel, I'm with him all the way!

Bama Hog™

This is not Pel's fault. Zero ability at the point. nuff said.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: gusaholic on January 16, 2008, 11:29:22 pm

....it isnt pel fault

40MINSOFHELL

im glad we have so many coaches in the state, man why dont we all become coaches, dumb post, it isnt pel's fault

chiefsfan

slopinhogs

the only guy who could guard him was Britt and he got in foul trouble in a hurry. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

PigSnort

Wait a  minute.   I thot that last year we had good players and a "bad" coach.  The players are the same, so with a "good" coach shouldn't we be much better this year?  Just sayin'...

porkenstein

Quote from: chiefsfan on January 17, 2008, 03:55:59 pm
Are you Drinking?

no, but i did think i was being funny. why the hell not Vincent Hunter? probably the only game he had a chance to be a factor in.

gusaholic

I sure hope that Coach Pel is a little more thick skinned than you guys!  Again, he is doing a great job!  I am absolutely all for him, however, I don't think he has arrived just yet.  I am counting on him to continue to improve his skills, just as it is his job to help the players improve theirs!  At this point the blame game works both ways and if we are going to have a successful season then everyone is going to have to take responsibilty.

bricklayer

Please watch and learn the game of basketball before making any more posts bashing Pel.  He doesn't have a point guard.  His players are used to loafing up and down the floor, not making quick decisions on offense and defense in this new fast-paced system, and he doesn't have a consistent outside shooter or a go-to big man.  When he gets his recruits in here, things will change.  We only have 4 losses on the season so cut the guy some slack.  All of ya'll are so quick to jump on a coach and post negative things about the football or basketball team and you have NO IDEA what you're talking about!

kcstar

Quote from: Rayzback on January 16, 2008, 11:42:41 pm

By my count SCar made seven of nine shots they took as time was expiring on the shot clock

gusaholic

Well Mr. Bricklayer, by the sounds of your moniker you may not have much room to talk.  As a matter of fact, some of us do know our way around the gym and do know something about the game.  In addition, I would hardly say I'm bashing, just making some observations.   Everyone needs to lighten up and move on.  There is no question in my mind that Pelphrey is going to do everything he can to get this team better, even if we do not have incredible guard play.  Something tells me that he is probably getting everybody's attention and they will play better at Georgia.

BallHog1