Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm not calling for Pel's head

Started by claycohog, January 16, 2008, 11:24:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

claycohog

but something just isn't right.  We were a decent shooting team last year that played with more of an identity than we are this year.  Same players people.

I don't if the players just aren't responding to this coaching staff or what.  Maybe Pel can only coach 1 style of basketball and he knows these guys can't get it done.  Not 1 player looks the same as last year.  Some have progressed, but some have degressed.  It just doesn't add up to me.

I'm not trying to crap on Pel, but its just not working with this team.  I would be willing to take some lumps this year if I knew it was going to get better, but that remains to be seen.

HawgG

According to most of hogville Pelphrey is referred to as A COACHING GOD, so be very carefull with what you write.

Now you could do what I do and just tell it like it is and have facts to back up what you are saying.

If I was staring this post I would have said that this guy is an average coach at best, and should not have gotten this job according to his career record coming into the season.That is not bashing at all as those are the facts.

claycohog

We are not good right now is all that I know.

TulsaHog24

What do you guys want, an undefeated team? I just don't understand. A new coach a new system and players that have not been pushed before. I don't know if Coach Pel was the right hire or not. To be honest, until he was hired I had not even heard his name. What I do know is that at the time, the nation was snickering at us when we were "altmaned".

These were ALL Heath's players last year and the best he could do was a 1st round loss in a back door invite to the NCAA Tourney. Now you expect a new coach to come in and work miracles? 

TRUHOG718

Coach K and Duke couldnt win with Gary (whose side are you on) Ervin.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HawgG on January 17, 2008, 05:31:48 am
According to most of hogville Pelphrey is referred to as A COACHING GOD, so be very carefull with what you write.

Now you could do what I do and just tell it like it is and have facts to back up what you are saying.

If I was staring this post I would have said that this guy is an average coach at best, and should not have gotten this job according to his career record coming into the season.That is not bashing at all as those are the facts.

What planet are you from?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

returntoglory

I don't think the problem is that we are losing, it is that we are losing to people we shouldn't lose to. I totally expect Tennessee, and Vandy to beat us. I expect to lose a couple of games. But with our talent, we should be able to beat the ap states and usc easts of the world.

razorhead69

Quote from: claycohog on January 16, 2008, 11:24:45 pm
but something just isn't right.  We were a decent shooting team

Huh? What? We can't throw it in the ocean.

pfrg999

Quote from: claycohog on January 16, 2008, 11:24:45 pm
but something just isn't right.  We were a decent shooting team last year that played with more of an identity than we are this year.  Same players people.

I don't if the players just aren't responding to this coaching staff or what.  Maybe Pel can only coach 1 style of basketball and he knows these guys can't get it done.  Not 1 player looks the same as last year.  Some have progressed, but some have degressed.  It just doesn't add up to me.

I'm not trying to crap on Pel, but its just not working with this team.  I would be willing to take some lumps this year if I knew it was going to get better, but that remains to be seen.

Oh back to those great Stan Heath Days..... 2-1 in the SEC....13-4 overall  That is UNACCEPTABLE in a coach in his first year, with NO point guard play, coaching a team assembled by the previous coach designed for the spectacular style of big-10 offense that we all loved...You are right he is horrible and he is just wasting all the talent that he has...

;)  ;)   ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)   Gezzz... Remember Nolan teams in the beginning, Eddie's teams.... Right system, wrong players, no point guard, new coach...

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Razorod

Let's see, we go from Eddie Sutton (grind it out man to man) to Nolan Richardson (full court press); from Nolan to Heath (Big Ten half court); from Heath to Pelphrey (from the Pitino family tree). One of our problems is when we change coaches, we have gone with radically different philosophies and it makes for more difficult transitions.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Oliver

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on January 17, 2008, 10:03:39 am

He could get them to beat teams like South Carolina and Appalachian State at home.

DeltaBoy

I counted this year as a wash due to Stans piss poor recruiting.  Relax enjoy the wins we get this year; Better days are a head.
Give them hell PEL!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TRUHOG718

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on January 17, 2008, 10:03:39 am
Quote from: Oliver Miller on January 17, 2008, 11:47:38 am
He could get them to beat teams like South Carolina and Appalachian State at home.
Your probably right. But he would probably just bench him and take his chances with a less skilled player that plays smarter.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

claycohog

Quote from: razorhead69 on January 17, 2008, 10:54:19 am

[/quote  You're right we can't throw in the ocean this year, but we shot the ball better last year.  Struggling to score 60 points at home is unacceptable.  These same players didn't have this problem last year at home.  Especially against a below average team at home.  If you have payed attention this has been occurring all year long.

DrumheadAR

Quote from: razorhead69 on January 17, 2008, 10:54:19 am

the ocean's pretty far away...  that would be one heck of a throw.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Oliver Miller on January 17, 2008, 11:47:38 am

Duke is always accepting new fans. Perhaps you'd like to change your handle to Christian Laettner?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Oliver

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2008, 04:57:23 pm
Duke is always accepting new fans. Perhaps you'd like to change your handle to Christian Laettner?

How about I change it to John Pelphrey so you can worship me.

I'm not saying that we should fire Pelphrey or that he shouldn't be given 3 more years to prove himself.  Get a grip.  I have the right to criticize coaches.

BCShogs

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2008, 04:57:23 pm

Perhaps you would like to do something other than bash posters who don't think Pelphrey is the next John Wooden.

stan the man

I don't understand why we continue to press because we do not get any turnovers from it, however we do suffer from other teams getting wide open shots by pressing.

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on January 17, 2008, 05:09:20 pm
Actually in Coach K's style, this team would be horrid.  This season he has added more to his offense with the addition of the Phoenix offense which sends players to the wings on fast breaks and secondary breaks.  All of Duke's players must be able to shoot and handle as they have incredible spacing.  Our team doesn't resemble anything close to this and would be a disaster in his system.  Just sayin'.

And yes I'm a Duke fan and believe that they'll again not make it past the Sw 16 due to a lack of a dominant inside presence.

I think Coach K would realize that he couldn't play the style he adapted this year with our group of guys.  But I think he would find the best style to fit these players and we wouldn't be losing to teams like Appalachian State and South Carolina at home.  But enough about Coach K.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Oliver Miller on January 17, 2008, 05:02:46 pm

I'm not saying that we should fire Pelphrey or that he shouldn't be given 3 more years to prove himself.  Get a grip.  I have the right to criticize coaches.

Sure, go ahead and change it to John Pelphrey so you can be dissapointed in yourself since a 12-4 record isn't up to par in your eyes.

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on January 17, 2008, 05:15:00 pm
Well one last thing, it was interesting to watch Duke last night and then UNC and the basketball skill of their players(not just athleticism like with us) while listening to the Hog meltdown.  Our fans need to realize how far we are away not just from the nation's best but just to be relative again.  The roster will have to be nearly turned over for this to happen.

I agree.  We are light years away from being on their level.  Now is the time for us to do it.  The SEC is an absolute joke this year but it won't stay that way for very long.  We need to pull in some recruiting classes and start winning soon while it's still down.  I think we're already off to a good start with the recruiting class that Pelphrey is bringing in next year.

bd93

Quote from: claycohog on January 17, 2008, 03:57:26 pm
You're right we can't throw in the ocean this year, but we shot the ball better last year.  Struggling to score 60 points at home is unacceptable.  These same players didn't have this problem last year at home.  Especially against a below average team at home.  If you have payed attention this has been occurring all year long.

What do you want him to do?  Shoot it for them?

Oliver

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2008, 05:18:28 pm
Sure, go ahead and change it to John Pelphrey so you can be dissapointed in yourself since a 12-4 record isn't up to par in your eyes.

From watching Pelphrey, he doesn't seem too pleased with our 12-4 record.  That's one thing I do love about Pelphrey is that he gets upset like I do when he realizes we are losing to bad teams.  I'm glad he has that attitude and not yours.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: neahogfan22 on January 17, 2008, 05:05:07 pm
Perhaps you would like to do something other than bash posters who don't think Pelphrey is the next John Wooden.

Or you can do something other than blow things out of proportion. No one said he's the next Wooden.

But if you're going to think a 12-4 team, with a new head coach and history of chemistry issues "sucks," then I'm going to defend my coach and my team.

That's what fans do.

claycohog

Quote from: donewithdale on January 17, 2008, 04:56:57 pm
We were a decent shooting team last year?  When?  A zone defense has been able to shut down this group of players since they got here. Its been almost impossible to control tempo due to this even if Stan had wanted to speed things up. 

Seriously, I was hoping Hogville may be able to have a decent discussion on basketball.  I guess not.  Instead its a bunch of overreaction, complete stupid shiite and flamers who are either Heath or Nolan fans who can't come to grips they were fired for failure.
Look at our 3-point% for last year and then compare it to this year so far.  Get back with me.

bd93

Quote from: Oliver Miller on January 17, 2008, 05:02:46 pm

Yes you do and your doing it wrongly.  That is the problem with most hog fans: Always critcizing coaching and have unreachable expectations for their teams.

Oliver

Quote from: bd93 on January 17, 2008, 05:29:17 pm
Yes you do and your doing it wrongly.  That is the problem with most hog fans: Always critcizing coaching and have unreachable expectations for their teams.

What unreachable expectations?  Beating teams like Appalachian State and South Carolina?  This SAME team went to the NCAAT last year.  I'm sorry if my expectations are too high for some.

opineonswine

Quote from: returntoglory on January 17, 2008, 10:17:55 am
I don't think the problem is that we are losing, it is that we are losing to people we shouldn't lose to. I totally expect Tennessee, and Vandy to beat us. I expect to lose a couple of games. But with our talent, we should be able to beat the ap states and usc easts of the world.

Without a guard?

bd93

Quote from: Oliver Miller on January 17, 2008, 05:33:21 pm
What unreachable expectations?  Beating teams like Appalachian State and South Carolina?  This SAME team went to the NCAAT last year.  I'm sorry if my expectations are too high for some.

I'm sorry Oliver Miller, you have reachable expectation and I agree with them.  I was refering to other people on this board who do have unreachable expectations.

claycohog

Quote from: opineonswine on January 17, 2008, 05:35:25 pm
Without a guard?
I thought Beverly was considered a guard.  He sure was last year.  Maybe it is his rebounding totals that have you confused.

bd93

Quote from: claycohog on January 17, 2008, 05:49:41 pm
I thought Beverly was considered a guard.  He sure was last year.  Maybe it is his rebounding totals that have you confused.

I think he means POINT GAURD!

claycohog

imhogwild2

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 17, 2008, 11:50:47 am
I counted this year as a wash due to Stans piss poor recruiting.  Relax enjoy the wins we get this year; Better days are a head.
Give them hell PEL!
wait a second I'm pretty sure Stan Heath was a good recruiter
Bring back slobbering hog. Member Since 12/1/2006

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: imhogwild2 on January 17, 2008, 11:08:23 pm
wait a second I'm pretty sure Stan Heath was a good recruiter

He couldn't recruit a floor leader. A lot of indians, but no chiefs.

chiefsfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2008, 11:30:18 pm
He couldn't recruit a floor leader. A lot of indians, but no chiefs.

you rang?
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

HawgG

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 17, 2008, 10:13:40 am
What planet are you from?

Once again no facts to dispute what I said as usual huh?

Not to worry I still enjoy talking with you though.

HawgAdvocate

January 18, 2008, 09:09:02 am #37 Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 09:11:11 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: HawgG on January 18, 2008, 06:05:11 am

Facts? Ok, where are some facts that prove most think Pelphrey is a coaching god, as you stated? Where are the facts that say he isn't deserving of the job? His top 10 recruiting class not mean anything to you? The first badass PG we've signed in more than 10 years (K. Reid) not mean anything? Half of this team was ready to transfer out at the end of last season. Some of these guys still don't like each other, but they aren't playing like it.

G, you know we don't have a floor general. You know this! Any coach worth his grits will tell you winning starts with strong guard play. We don't have it this year. Beverley isn't handling the rock since he's gotta be fighting through screens to find open shots. It's the same reasoning why Ronnie Brewer didn't wanna play PG.

The man had turned around a horrid South Alabama program. That's a fact.

He has ringing endorsements from Donovan, Pitino, and Sutton. That's a fact.

He plays the type of exciting basketball that Hog fans wished they got from Heath. That's a fact.

He's recruited former SEC studs Mike Miller, David Lee, Teddy Dupay, and Anthony Roberson and has proven he can recruit winning players that play exciting basketball. It's not easy to recruit at South Alabama I wouldn't expect. Expecting him to win 20+ games from year one or two at South Alabama isn't the same as it is at Arkansas. That's a fact.

He knows the SEC as much as any other viable coaching candidate we could have hired thanks to his days at Kentucky and Florida. That's a fact.

Unfortunatly, we aren't as prominent as we used to be so as to think that Calipari should have left his preseason top 5 team to come coach for a fanbase that has hated him for quite some time. We should be damn glad we didn't take Altman, and we should be damn glad we didn't offer the job to Purnell.

Bah, it's early, and those are my facts. We're 12-4, we've got renewed interest thanks to our preseason expectations, and we've won some good ballgames early in the year. Appy St. was a trap game. Those happen to everyone at some point or another. That's a fact.

Dave Odom more than likely told his team that he planned to retire before they played us (the story came out yesterday that he's retiring on Friday). It's not a fact, but it's likely that his team played with more emotion knowng their coach was on his way out the door due to their lackluster play.

claycohog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 18, 2008, 09:09:02 am
Facts? Ok, where are some facts that prove most think Pelphrey is a coaching god, as you stated? Where are the facts that say he isn't deserving of the job? His top 10 recruiting class not mean anything to you? The first badass PG we've signed in more than 10 years (K. Reid) not mean anything? Half of this team was ready to transfer out at the end of last season. Some of these guys still don't like each other, but they aren't playing like it.

G, you know we don't have a floor general. You know this! Any coach worth his grits will tell you winning starts with strong guard play. We don't have it this year. Beverley isn't handling the rock since he's gotta be fighting through screens to find open shots. It's the same reasoning why Ronnie Brewer didn't wanna play PG.

The man had turned around a horrid South Alabama program. That's a fact.

He has ringing endorsements from Donovan, Pitino, and Sutton. That's a fact.

He plays the type of exciting basketball that Hog fans wished they got from Heath. That's a fact.

He's recruited former SEC studs Mike Miller, David Lee, Teddy Dupay, and Anthony Roberson and has proven he can recruit winning players that play exciting basketball. It's not easy to recruit at South Alabama I wouldn't expect. Expecting him to win 20+ games from year one or two at South Alabama isn't the same as it is at Arkansas. That's a fact.

He knows the SEC as much as any other viable coaching candidate we could have hired thanks to his days at Kentucky and Florida. That's a fact.

Unfortunatly, we aren't as prominent as we used to be so as to think that Calipari should have left his preseason top 5 team to come coach for a fanbase that has hated him for quite some time. We should be damn glad we didn't take Altman, and we should be damn glad we didn't offer the job to Purnell.

Bah, it's early, and those are my facts. We're 12-4, we've got renewed interest thanks to our preseason expectations, and we've won some good ballgames early in the year. Appy St. was a trap game. Those happen to everyone at some point or another. That's a fact.

Dave Odom more than likely told his team that he planned to retire before they played us (the story came out yesterday that he's retiring on Friday). It's not a fact, but it's likely that his team played with more emotion knowng their coach was on his way out the door due to their lackluster play.
Excuses are the nails that built the house of failure.

HogFanLR

Quote from: claycohog on January 18, 2008, 09:14:01 am

Nice cliche and totally inaccurate.  There is a difference between losing and knowing why and losing because the talent is not playing up to potential.  In this case, as in last year and the years before this team has many players that are very athletic but not very basketball smart.  1 good point that handles to ball well and this team gets a LOT better.  Stan's style minimized the impact of this hole but we where still not very good. 

Ask yourself how hard are they playing now...did you see this last year?  At this point that is about all you can expect from Pel.  Get the guys to play hard.  Help is on the way.  Unfortunately it is next year.  That is not an excuse....it is the reality. 

Not any different than the football team next year.  We will have a tough year...because we dont have enough of the right players (ie defense)

HawgAdvocate

Okay smart guy...where is the confusion between exscuses with fact? Instead of just passing out parting shots, why not show off your intelligence and explain to us all, in detail, why our 12-4 team and our new coach are so pathetic?

lost hawg

When Nolan came to Ark and had Eddie's leftovers he couldn't coach either. What do you say we give Pel a chance to bring in his players.
I say its like a hiring a guy to work on you car and giving him plumbers tools and wondering why he can't change your plugs. Let him get his "tools" to do his job then judge  if he can coach

Hugulus Hog

But Pelphry's a fiery guy so that makes up for everything right?

HogFanLR

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on January 18, 2008, 10:58:06 am

Pel is not just sitting back doing nothing.  He knows the problem and is doing everything he can to fix it.  Look at the recruiting class.  If Pel was not recruiting a PG then you might have a case

ConwayHog

January 18, 2008, 12:37:56 pm #44 Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 02:33:06 pm by Pel Legs™

Just who should we have hired?  He improved South Alabama.  Heath was 30-6.  See how that worked out?

No, those aren't facts.  That's your opinion.

ConwayHog

Quote from: Hugulus Hog on January 18, 2008, 10:58:06 am

No but this is his first year.  Anyone that would rush to judgement needs to seriously consider what they're saying.

claycohog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on January 18, 2008, 10:10:51 am
Okay smart guy...where is the confusion between exscuses with fact? Instead of just passing out parting shots, why not show off your intelligence and explain to us all, in detail, why our 12-4 team and our new coach are so pathetic?
According to your post we lost because Odom told them he was retiring after the end of the year due to their play.  That sounds like an excuse to me.  If a high school coach tells his team that he is retiring before a game I sure as hell hope that they aren't playing Arkansas.

We lost because our players were not ready.  That falls back to who is in charge.  I know that these aren't his players, but this year it is the only ones he has.  HAVE THEM PREPARED!

ConwayHog

January 18, 2008, 12:43:22 pm #47 Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 02:33:42 pm by Pel Legs™
Quote from: HawgG on January 18, 2008, 06:05:11 am

You might want to look at the difference between fact and opinion.

HogFanLR

Quote from: claycohog on January 18, 2008, 12:41:57 pm

We lost because our players were not ready.  That falls back to who is in charge.  I know that these aren't his players, but this year it is the only ones he has.  HAVE THEM PREPARED!

actually we lost because our guard play was bad.  Has nothing to do with preparation.  Did you watch Pel pointing and yelling.  He told them what to do.  Ex. "Gary, play to the basket" 

Maybe you are just arguing to argue.  At times these guys just do not play smart.  And there is not much Pel can do about that....The seniors are going to play how they are going to play.  Gary is 24 years old.  He will not get any better.  In time Welsh could be ok,  But what is going to help the most is some guards with real ball handling skills.  Beverly can't do it all.  At least Pel gets hustle out of them.  Did not see that last year. 

claycohog

Quote from: HogFanLR on January 18, 2008, 12:59:45 pm
actually we lost because our guard play was bad.  Has nothing to do with preparation.  Did you watch Pel pointing and yelling.  He told them what to do.  Ex. "Gary, play to the basket" 

Maybe you are just arguing to argue.  At times these guys just do not play smart.  And there is not much Pel can do about that....The seniors are going to play how they are going to play.  Gary is 24 years old.  He will not get any better.  In time Welsh could be ok,  But what is going to help the most is some guards with real ball handling skills.  Beverly can't do it all.  At least Pel gets hustle out of them.  Did not see that last year. 
Our guards are not very good, but they have degressed from last year and that is unaccetable.  This team is what it is and my expectations aren't very high for them, but degression from last year is unaccetable.  It would be different if he were trying to implement his style of play but that is not the case.  Every team we play dictates the tempo of the game at home or away.  With this group you can throw away home court advantage and I'm not willing to accept that.

Our opinions may differ and I can accept that.  I hope you can do the same.