Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Anyone Else Concerned/Worried about the Hiring of Ellis Johnson?

Started by GoHogs1091, January 05, 2008, 03:31:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogs1091

I am worried/concerned about the hiring of Ellis Johnson as DC.  I was wondering if anyone else was worried/concerned?  I was hoping that Fort Smith native and Razorback Alumnus, Dick Bumpas, would be strongly considered and hired as DC for the UofA.  The following is a comparison of Bumpas' TCU Defense and Johnson's Mississippi State Defense this Season in 3 key national defensive categories (with a link to each category):

Rushing Defense

TCU-- 14th Ranked Nationally
Mississippi State-- 63rd Ranked Nationally

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teamrushdef&site=org

Scoring Defense

TCU-- 12th Ranked Nationally
Mississippi State-- 36th Ranked Nationally

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teamscordef&site=org

Total Defense

TCU--  17th Ranked Nationally
Mississippi State-- 25th Ranked Nationally

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teamtotdef&site=org

One interesting aspect that should be noted is that Herring's Arkansas Defense was ranked higher in Rushing Defense nationally than was Johnson's Mississippi State Defense (Arkansas-- 53rd Ranked vs. Mississippi State-- 63rd Ranked).

I hope that Ellis Johnson turns out to be a good/great hire for the UofA, but I wished that Dick Bumpas would have been strongly considered and hired.  Bumpas has a tremendous amount of coaching experience, and Bumpas' TCU Defenses have been excellent.  Oklahoma, Bob Stoops, and Adrian Peterson could be asked about regarding just how good Dick Bumpas is as a Defensive Coordinator.  In 2005, Bumpas' TCU Defense held Oklahoma's Offense (with Adrian Peterson) to just 225 Yards of Total Offense and 10 Points at Norman, OK.       

hog_fan

Consider Miss State talent compared to Arkansas and to compare schedules of TCU and Miss State

RaZoR LmO

Who does Dick Bumpas and the Horned Frogs of TCU play? Not hardly the same competition that MSU played. Ya'll dont forget what Ellis Johnson did to D-Mac two years in a row.

RazorNoles

Consider the fact that MSU had ZERO offense, so MSU's defense was always on the field.

Idahog

I am only as worried about his hire as I am Coach Petrino's hire, which is, not at all.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

jdevers

Exactly.  I watched every televised MS State game this year and other than the West Virginia game, their defense was good to great until they were so tired from their offense going three and out that they just gave out.  Even in the WV game they did pretty well until the end of the second quarter.  As everyone is pointing out, this was done with LESS talent than we had on defense.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: RazorNoles on January 05, 2008, 03:39:37 pm
Consider the fact that MSU had ZERO offense, so MSU's defense was always on the field.

Arkansas' Defense was also on the field way too much this Season (due to the Hogs having a one dimensional Offense), and yet Herring's Arkansas Defense was ranked higher nationally in Rushing Defense than was Johnson's MSU Defense.

Ellis Johnson hopefully (and most likely) will be a better DC than was Reggie Herring, but will Ellis Johnson be a great enough DC to make the difference when the Hogs play "top notch" competition.  Defense wins Championships, and in my opinion, Dick Bumpas should have been hired as DC.       

texas tush hog

My daughter has a saying that I hear the young kids say all the time"it is what it is."
Ellis Johnson is going to be our defensive co-ordinator whether you like it or not,
that train has left the station. Be a Razorback fan and support who is here or go
root for some other team. You are no more of a fan of Bump than I am but he is
not here.

grayhawg

I watched Bumpas in High School and at AR. Love him to death, but who did TCU play, just wondering.

HogFaninMemphis

I don't think we can look at previous success as a big opinion-maker.
Remember when Herring came from NC State after having like the #1 defense in the nation?
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Albert Einswine

If coach Petrino is confident in him,  I'm not going to worry about it.

If it doesn't work out like coach Petrino expects,  I imagine coach P. will take the necessary steps to get it corrected.

For the first time in many years I feel like we are in competent,  excellent hands.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hogman1974

Pointless comparison.  TCU doesn't play against the talent that MSU plays against.  We got a good coach.

SpiritHog

Petrino wants him then I want him.  I back him all the way.
Non Illegitimus Carborundum

texas tush hog

the 1 and only

bingo .
The only good thing at MSU has been there DEF so iam thing Ellis is a good hire
molon Labe

Use your rights before you lose them

Maverick Razorback

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 05, 2008, 03:53:39 pm
Arkansas' Defense was also on the field way too much this Season (due to the Hogs having a one dimensional Offense), and yet Herring's Arkansas Defense was ranked higher nationally in Rushing Defense than was Johnson's MSU Defense.

Ellis Johnson hopefully (and most likely) will be a better DC than was Reggie Herring, but will Ellis Johnson be a great enough DC to make the difference when the Hogs play "top notch" competition.  Defense wins Championships, and in my opinion, Dick Bumpas should have been hired as DC.       
Why would you run against us when you have all day to throw it?
IF YOU AINT FIRST...YOUR LAST!!

One of Arkansas last lowriders.

RationalHog

That is an intelligent observation my friend.
"Nothing is ever as good as it seems and nothing is ever as bad as it seems.  Reality lies somewhere in the middle." - Lou Holtz

jgphillips3

I like the hire. His defenses seem fundamentally sound.  With Petrino on offense, we just need a guy who can manage the defense in such a way to keep them fresh when we either go three and out or score too quickly.  I think he got used to having to do that at MSU.  Also, I would hate to prejudge a coordinator before he even has a chance to show what he can do.  At least he is personally familiar with almost all the conference teams we will play next year and knows how to scheme to stop them (I know scheme doesn't equal success but it will help).  I feel positive about this one. 

Oh...and with Petrino as head coach, if he isn't getting it done, you can bet there will be a change in a heartbeat.  I get the sense he doesn't play when it comes to getting the job done (either with players or coaches).  Unlike with Nutt, we won't be saddled with an inept coach for years just because they are buddies.

jabohog

One dimentional or not, our offense was one of the highest scoring in school history and it didn't keep the defense on the field like MSU's offense did. That is just plain BS trying to make your opinion work. Get your facts straight. I like Bumpas too, but at this point in time, I think EJ will do an exceptional job if we can get some players and depth.

El Puerco Grande

Nothing personal, sir, but I trust Bobby Petrino's judgement on coaching hires over yours.
How 'bout them hogs?

RationalHog

Quote from: Hawianiceman on January 05, 2008, 04:14:00 pm
Too late, he's already been hired

We can't bi-tch until Georiga and TX and FLA hang 28 pts each on us
Quote from: Hawianiceman on January 05, 2008, 04:14:00 pm
Too late, he's already been hired

We can't bi-tch until Georiga and TX and FLA hang 28 pts each on us
I'm in my early 40's, but I am not too far away from my college days to remember my time in Fayetteville.  Your signature is a true classic comparison of the two lives.  Hilarious!
"Nothing is ever as good as it seems and nothing is ever as bad as it seems.  Reality lies somewhere in the middle." - Lou Holtz

hog991

Quote from: Ar_Hog on January 05, 2008, 03:59:32 pm
TCU don't play anybody!!!!!

CBP wants Ellis so I support him. If you don't want to support CBP then STFU!

WPS!!!!!!!!!!
AMEN

jdevers

Here is an interesting stat:

scoring by quarter of opponents across the season before the bowls

MS  79   91   61   67
AR   59   65   75   88

To me that looks like good adjustments by MS State and very predictable defense by us.

I will add though that now that I have seen this, what I said earlier about MS State applies more to us than them...

http://www.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/07stats/ar.htm
http://www.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/07stats/ms.htm

Razorback Pastor

GoHogs1091

Ellis Johnson was the Defensive Coordinator at Alabama from 1997-2000.  During those 4 Seasons while Johnson was the Defensive Coordinator at Alabama, the Hogs had 3 Wins and 1 Loss vs. Alabama.  During the Hogs 3 Wins and 1 Loss vs. Alabama while Johnson was the Alabama DC, the Hogs scored an average of 28.75 Pts/Game vs. Ellis Johnson's Alabama Defense.   

texas tush hog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 05, 2008, 04:43:50 pm
Ellis Johnson was the Defensive Coordinator at Alabama from 1997-2000.  During those 4 Seasons while Johnson was the Defensive Coordinator at Alabama, the Hogs had 3 Wins and 1 Loss vs. Alabama.  During the Hogs 3 Wins and 1 Loss vs. Alabama while Johnson was the Alabama DC, the Hogs scored an average of 28.75 Pts/Game vs. Ellis Johnson's Alabama Defense.   

Does that mean you are not going to support the hogs as long as Ellis Johnson is the defensive
co-ordinator?

The real Hogules

I'm not going to bash the original poster or tell him to STFU as some have done.

Dick Bumpus would have been an excellent choice, as was Ellis Johnson.

The biggest difference in the two DC's is that one of the two has already shown the ability to stop/slow down some of the best rushing offenses in the SEC.

It also doesn't hurt that by hiring Ellis Johnson the UofA will have demonstrated once again that we hire the best coaches possible, and the color of their skin is not even a consideration.

Trust me on this one, we got the right man for the job!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hog_fan

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 05, 2008, 04:43:50 pm

It's done so bitching doesn't do any good and the TCU guy we don't know how he would do going against SEC defenses every game. At MSU, Johnson didn't have much talent. Also, when he was at bama was this when they were hit by the NCAA and couldn't play in post season? He also coached LB's on the bama team that won the 92 National Championship. If he doesn't get it done then grip about him and I'm sure many will griping with you. He has his work cut out for him this next season.

I think it is now time to get on board and support the coaching staff and if the time comes when a staff member doens't get it done then call for his firing. The defensive staff looks very solid.

texas tush hog

Quote from: hog_fan on January 05, 2008, 04:49:59 pm
It's done so ****ing doesn't do any good and the TCU guy we don't know how he would do going against SEC defenses every game. At MSU, Johnson didn't have much talent. Also, when he was at bama was this when they were hit by the NCAA and couldn't play in post season? He also coached LB's on the bama team that won the 92 National Championship. If he doesn't get it done then grip about him and I'm sure many will griping with you. He has his work cut out for him this next season.

I think it is now time to get on board and support the coaching staff and if the time comes when a staff member doens't get it done then call for his firing. The defensive staff looks very solid.

I think we are wasting our breath these Nutt Huggers will never let it go.

Tomhog™

Are you serious?  Arkansas almost always won TOP because of the one-dimensional offense.

JudgeHogg

JudgeHogg

want2be

Quote from: HogNutt99 on January 05, 2008, 04:55:14 pm
Support Petrino and his staff!

Petrino's knows what he is doing gang ! I'm not concerned about the defensive coaching staff as much as I am in our talent level on defense. In saying that, it will nice to see a staff who can drill the basics into these players.

hogs derriere

for what its worth, last night i was gambling on the same table as a m state fan. he said "u know u guys got one of our coaches dont ya" and i said yes, but we dont know how good he is, what do u think?   he said he was a awesome coach and that we would like him. he said m state hated to see him go

gettinpiggywithit

Quote from: hog_fan on January 05, 2008, 03:37:49 pm
Consider Miss State talent compared to Arkansas and to compare schedules of TCU and Miss State

my thoughts exactly
Let those who do, do. Let those who spew, spew.

corpitguy

SpiritHog

I believe we are darn fortunate to get him.  MSU did everything they could to keep him.
Non Illegitimus Carborundum

phoggy

The fact that TCU didn't play anyone doesn't really mean a lot to me because they played with TCU talent. It's not like they are the Ravens playing in CUSA. That being said I'm a little concerned about EJ but will hold on to the fact that Petrino knows what he wants in a DC. I'll trust him until I see otherwise.
Because of the climate of political correctness now pervading America, those of us in Arkansas will no longer be referred to as HILLBILLIES. We ask that you now refer to us as OZARK-AMERICANS.Thank you!....Now if you'll excuse me, I got possums to fry.

OLDHOG

Look at the difference in who each team plays. Not concerned at all. Petrino knows what he's doing.

h0gfan6

Just wanted to point out, in the last 2 years, Miss St's D has been the only one to stifle Darren on both meetings.

nuttgone

you must be a nutt hugger...... curious, what do you do?  ever coached football.... nope, just question anyone who does.  You know the drive from central arkansas to oxford ain't that far......

dmac4sainthood

I am not concerned.  I will let the Head Coach have Mickey Mouse on his staff if he wants him.  He is the head coach, it is his neck.  Let him make the decisions.  I am sick and tired of people ignorantly micromanaging things.  Let the professionals who we pay big $$ to do their jobs.

Comon people!  Supporting the head coach means supporting the head coach.

Dwight_K_Shrute

So you like Dick Bumpass?  Verrrry Interesting.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

IZAHOG

hawgsav1

I like the Ellis Johnson hire, and please stop telling people to "STFU".  Someone raised a legitimate point.  He has the right to be concerned if he sees something that he's concerned about.  Personally, Miss. State's defense has been pretty darn good the past few years.  It's been the only thing that has gone decently for them.  They held DMac down both times we played them, and they're secondary this year was pretty salty.  They've been great against big name runners this year, namely Felix, DMac, Knowshown Moreno, AND Kevin Smith (prevented him from breaking Barry Sander's record, which is an achievement in itself I'd say).  They held the CUSA champ to 3 points, which is a pretty good achievement.  I think Johnson is a good hire. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

hillhog

Superham

Quote from: phoggy on January 05, 2008, 05:45:28 pm
The fact that TCU didn't play anyone doesn't really mean a lot to me because they played with TCU talent. It's not like they are the Ravens playing in CUSA. That being said I'm a little concerned about EJ but will hold on to the fact that Petrino knows what he wants in a DC. I'll trust him until I see otherwise.
It is true that they play in conference USA with TCU talent, however they are to Conference USA what Florida or Georgia is to the SEC.  Their talent is generally superior relatively speaking than what MSU's is compared with the rest of the SEC.

hogwildinhouston

January 05, 2008, 09:08:10 pm #49 Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 09:10:04 pm by hogwildinhouston
I would have loved to see Petrino go after Bumpas as D-Line coach.  However, remember, Gary Patterson basically serves as his own DC.  He has since he was promoted to HC.  Bumpas is DC more in title than in reality as Patterson calls the D for TCU.  Any credit for TCU's defense has to go primarily to Patterson, just as it's become evident that Patterson is also largely responsible for Franchione's success there as well.

Age also had to be somewhat of a concern as Bumpas is in his early 60s.  He very well may not want to coach much longer.

As for Ellis Johnson, as good as he's been at MSU with the lack of talent and the horrid offenses, I'm MORE than pleased at his hire.  Let some of the young recruiters on the D staff get him some talent, and I think we'll all be thrilled.