Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will you root for fellow SEC member LSU or Ohio State?

Started by Tomhog™, January 02, 2008, 03:46:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will you root for in the NC game?

LSU
Ohio State

Desperate Hog

Quote from: tigerinhogtown on January 02, 2008, 04:11:19 pm
It's the same in Missouri - 99% of us are pulling fot VT over kU Jayhawks.  If UT were in the SEC and playing instead of LSU, would you answer be the same??
Great point!  It has nothing to do with being in the same conference and everything to do with hating a bitter rival either OSU if you are a Michigan man or KU if you are a Missouri fan.  We don't have that bitter rival anymore now that Texas in a different conference.  I guarantee if OSU was playing Texas and we were in the Big 12 then most fans would root for OSU because they hate Texas so much.  I am rooting for Ohio state because I think they had a really good team last year and laid an egg while this year I think they may come up strong as the underdog even though last years team was probably better. 
"I've got dozens of friends and the fun never ends that is as long as I'm buying"-Tommy Shaw

Desperate Hog

Quote from: ashleyswine on January 02, 2008, 11:06:27 pm
i can understand how you feel  i live 9 miles from LA    but i cannot stand OSU  they always back into prominence playing Youngstown St. every year  i hope LSU stomps em for SEC pride
Jim Tressel was the coach at YSU before OSU and they rarely play them.  It helps YSU with the paycheck.  Kind of like LSU and Arkansas playing UT Chatanooga or SE Missouri st.
"I've got dozens of friends and the fun never ends that is as long as I'm buying"-Tommy Shaw

FedUpWithNutt

LSU....no way I'd want Big 10 to beat an SEC brother.   

RandallA

Piss on the Big 10. When it gets to be Bowl Season I root for all SEC teams.

ronmahony

LSU I can root for anybody in the SEC since Florida got beat.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Hogoman

Quote from: kuhog on January 02, 2008, 03:51:34 pm
I hate LSU. I don't care if they are in the SEC. No way I root for the Tigers. They shouldn't even be playing in this game.

Go Buckeye's.
LSU should not be in it and their coach sucks, GO BUCKEYES!
I dont know who called that time out.

hoglady

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

John Futrall

I'm from Michigan, and nothing is sweeter than watching Ohio State lose.

Well,  unless it's Michigan beating Florida ;)

Tammany Tom

January 03, 2008, 12:10:18 am #111 Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:12:10 am by Tammany Tom
Quote from: Hogoman on January 02, 2008, 11:40:57 pm
LSU should not be in it and their coach sucks, GO BUCKEYES!

I love these posts. OK, so you don't think LSU should be in the game. Please tell me who deserves to be there instead.

Who? The OU Sooners who are getting their butts beat by a coachless West Virginia team.  Or maybe a team that didn't even win their own division like Georgia. A team that lost to Tennessee by 3, count them 3, touchdowns and to a 6-6 S. Carolina team. Or maybe you think USC should be there instead. A team that lost to a 41 point underdog at home. A team that beat one, count them one ranked team en route to the Rose Bowl. That ranked team that USC beat got their butts handed to them by Texas in the Holiday Bowl. Or maybe you think Kansas should be there. A team that didn't win their division and that didn't win a single game against a ranked opponent all year long. Oh......I know you think Virginia Tech should be there. A team that got beat by LSU by the score of 41-7.

Hoggish1

Hogs are the only team on the planet.  When they don't play I'm a SEC man all the way.

Hoggish In!

870hogg

I don't see how you think a win by LSU means a win for the SEC which translates into helping us.   If LSU wins it helps them...it lifts them up in the history books for a while which in turn hurts us because we are competing against them for recruits and they become that much more traditioned....

I HATE LSU...rooting for LSU because they are in the SEC is like rooting for Texas because they were in the SWC

Tammany Tom

Quote from: 870hogg on January 03, 2008, 12:27:32 am
I don't see how you think a win by LSU means a win for the SEC which translates into helping us.   If LSU wins it helps them...it lifts them up in the history books for a while which in turn hurts us because we are competing against them for recruits and they become that much more traditioned....

I HATE LSU...rooting for LSU because they are in the SEC is like rooting for Texas because they were in the SWC

I have no problem with you hating us or rooting against us. However, you are wrong if you don't think success by other SEC programs doesn't help Arkansas. It might not help you today or even next year, but somewhere down the line it does. Like I said in an earlier post, the reason why LSU is in the game over other 2 loss teams is because of the great respect our conference gets from the media and college football coaches. Florida's win over Ohio State last year is a huge reason why LSU is in the game this year. Auburn going undefeated and beating Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl while OU got trounced by USC helped Florida, which helped us this year.

The overall success of the SEC in non-conference games and in bowl games helps the perception of the media throughout the country. The media has a major role in who gets selected to play in the National Championship game. With all things being equal, the SEC Champion is going to get the benefit of the doubt by the media that ranks teams in one poll and persuades the coaches in the other poll.

The SEC's perfect record in BCS Championship games plays a huge roll in determining the media's perception of our conference. If you think Petrino has the ability to build a National Championship team one year at Arkansas then you are going to need the history and strength of the SEC to help you get in the National Title game. The only thing teams control is the ability to win their conference, after that you rely on the media and coaches to get you to the big game. Previous success by fellow members of our conference plays a major roll in our teams getting voted in over other programs like Florida did last year and we did this year.

870hogg

Amen brotha!....we have to plug that recruiting pipeline to LSU somehow so let's start by rooting for them to lose in the BCS championship game.  Then as they go on a down cycle Petrino can bring us up and maybe we can start tapping into some of that coon-ass talent

yraciv

It hurts me very little.  For me my bottom 3 is Texas, OU, and then Ohio State.  I'm a Michigan fan second, but they are far from the hogs.

Swinehart

Their team sucks,

their fans sucks,

their state sucks,

I kaint even understand most of em,

BUT their SEC.

Go Tigers

jkstock04

I'll never root for an SEC team to lose when their playing out of conference...even if it is LSU.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

GoodLuckGus

Quote from: Desperate Hog on January 02, 2008, 11:10:48 pm
Great point!  It has nothing to do with being in the same conference and everything to do with hating a bitter rival either OSU if you are a Michigan man or KU if you are a Missouri fan.  We don't have that bitter rival anymore now that Texas in a different conference.  I guarantee if OSU was playing Texas and we were in the Big 12 then most fans would root for OSU because they hate Texas so much.  I am rooting for Ohio state because I think they had a really good team last year and laid an egg while this year I think they may come up strong as the underdog even though last years team was probably better. 

Not me.  If Arkansas was in the Big 12 I'd be rooting for Texas.  Hell, I'd be rooting for Texas even though we are in the SEC.  I can't stand the Big Ten and hate the Buckeyes above all.   Anyway, I always root for the SEC in non-conference games.  No exceptions. 

Tylerhog

Quote from: biggiepiggie on January 02, 2008, 03:55:29 pm
If LSU wins it makes us look better.  Go LSU.

After Tuesday"s debacle, nothing can make us look better for the 07' season.

PennHOG

An LSU loss is right up there with an Arkansas win.  Go Buckeyes!  What is a buckeye anyway?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

OhioHogAlum92

I was told by a 14 year old Buckeye fan that my "South's Elite Conference" t-shirt sucked - GO LSU!!!!!!

Swinehart

Quote from: PennHOG on January 03, 2008, 08:16:15 am
An LSU loss is right up there with an Arkansas win.  Go Buckeyes!  What is a buckeye anyway?

I think it is what most people call a chestnut.

Opp-Sooie

I always root for the SEC -- the Big 10 is over-rated.

ashleyswine

Quote from: 870hogg on January 03, 2008, 12:27:32 am
I don't see how you think a win by LSU means a win for the SEC which translates into helping us.   If LSU wins it helps them...it lifts them up in the history books for a while which in turn hurts us because we are competing against them for recruits and they become that much more traditioned....

Does anyone know what the financial payout is for winning the National Championship? Gotta be pretty sweet. Well, doesnt that money get shared with the whole conference, thereby benifitting every SEC team?

the wife

Razorbacks first, other SEC teams second.

Ohio is over rated anyway. Don't think I could ever root for them.

Tomhog™

I've thought about it for some time and actually decided to root for LSU myself.  If Ohio State wins, the national pundits (especially BSPN and Herbstreit) will pound the airwaves that the SEC is overrated and the Big X is underrated.  I, for one, don't want to hear anything about this and would rather see LSU demolish the Buckeyes.  Southern pride won't let me root for a yankee state, either!

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.

sharks89

SEC all the way.

The only game I hope for a possible SEC upset was GA by Hawaii and that was to send the BCS on its' ear with an unbeaten team claiming the N/C. We still wouldn't get a play-off,...
Go Hogs!

agr347

"Just remember, its not a lie if you believe it." -George Costanza

catdog12

Quote from: ashleyswine on January 03, 2008, 10:08:07 am
Does anyone know what the financial payout is for winning the National Championship? Gotta be pretty sweet. Well, doesnt that money get shared with the whole conference, thereby benifitting every SEC team?
15 grand????

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

SpiritHog

All the manlove ESPN has for OSU has me wanting LSU to dominate and humiliate them.
Non Illegitimus Carborundum

longtimeHogfan

I don't want to diminish our victory over LSwho in Baton Rouge.  If they win then our last win of the season was over the National Champions.  Geoux Tigers!
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

hoghearted

Gotta root for our southern brethren. No way I'd back a dam yankee! ;)

The only SEC team I think I'd pull against from here on out would have to be Old Missus, for obvious reasons. :)
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

budcampbellfan

"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

BigDrDon

You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

razorbacker3

I'll be rooting for LSU,but, I believe they will lose to OSU.

jimmur74

LSU belongs to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Go Tigers!!

Sow’sEar

LSU.   

If LSU wins it will be because Ohio State was not up for the game and because they had an almost 2 month layoff according to the national media and ESPN.

If OSU wins it will be because they are the greatest program in the history of college sports  and SEC is waayyy over rated according to the same ESPN.

The first one seems easier to stomach.

Plus, we can say we beat the national champs.

Albert Einswine

I will never root for a damn yankee school over a Southern one!

Not even over Tennessee!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

rcowen

89ALUM

Quote from: Lulu Hog on January 03, 2008, 08:10:38 pm

If OSU wins it will be because they are the greatest program in the history of college sports  and SEC is waayyy over rated according to the same ESPN.

I have heard nothing from ESPN except that the SEC is the powerhouse and center of the galaxy when it comes to football.

I'm pulling for the Buckeyes.  Tressel is a class act, and I can't stand Les Miles and his Ar-Kansas commentary.  He's not done suffering for that one as far as I'm concerned.
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

Cure

I'm a student at OSU, but I know good as well as everyone that knows the SEC what is about to happen on Monday night. That being said, I'm just gonna be a spectator in between. :
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 02, 2008, 03:46:11 pm
I saw this on a Michigan Message board.  Most every Michigan fan said "GO LSU".  They won't root for the buckeyes for anything.  I realize their rivalry is an historic one compared to the Boot.  But will you root on LSU since they are part of the SEC?

Surely you jest. An SEC champ reigning as NC is good for the whole league. Those folks north of us tend to be more self centered.......it has nothing to do with rivalry in my opinion.
Go Hogs Go!

dewayne

i hope lsu rips them a new one.

3 years in a row would be HILARIOUS