Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reggie Herring and Major Applewhite to Texas A&M

Started by SouthSide Johnny, December 23, 2007, 10:12:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthSide Johnny

Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

Brass Knob

Wish he could have waited till end of year. Man....hope our players can stay focused against missouri

preach33

WOW some serious games in the Hogs future

Nutt - Ole Miss
Herring - A&M

antiono hogderas

Wow, it would two very good coachs if they can land both. I think applewhite taking the position would be he either wants out of Alabama and away from Nick S. or wants to get back into the state of Texas, since he would be taking a paycut and lower position of QB instead of OC.

szechuanpork

Quote from: Brass Knob on December 23, 2007, 10:14:24 pm
Wish he could have waited till end of year. Man....hope our players can stay focused against missouri
I don't think it will affect the Cotton Bowl too much. I do think it makes ta&m harder to beat later on though. They're both good coaches in my mind.

bcshog

why would herring take the a&m job over arkansas.  i guess he feels slighted that he didn't get the hc position.

WAN

December 23, 2007, 10:21:52 pm #6 Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:07:44 pm by WAN

duckhead

ronmahony

I don't think he's been offered anything has he?
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Dugann

Reggie will do well in the big 12.  Aggies got a steal IMo.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

SpiritHog

Darn reporters.  However, I am glad for Reggie.  Wish it wasn't A&M though.  Are they early in the schedule before he gets his defense developed?
Non Illegitimus Carborundum

CORZRBACKFAN

A&M has a solid defensive heritage and has a great recruiting base, so it's a great move for Reggie. Applewhite makes absolutely no sense though. Why would he go from being offensive coordinator at Alabama to take a lower-level QB coach position with a hated collegiate rival? Perhaps family issues? There has to be something personal going on there.
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

realpig

I wish Herring the best.  He has handled the coaching change pretty well, and he deserves to have a job locked in for his future.  IMO he will do well there. 
Successful people do what unsuccessful people dislike doing.  It's not that they like doing them, but their strength of purpose is greater than their dislike of doing them.

Smokehouse

If Appelwhite is willing to go be QB-coach at A&M (which makes zero sense to me) we should just go ahead and offer him a job somewhere on our offense.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Houston h

antiono hogderas

It it is true that Reggie is taking the job i wonder if he and BP talked over the past couple of days and he now knows the direction that BP is going on defense. 

nmoon

Perhaps Saban is looking for a new OC.   Malzahn??

qhhog

If you always think what you've always thought, you'll always say what you've always said.  If you always say what you always said you'll always do what you've always done.  If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. Time for a change.  Change=BP WPS GHG

hog_fan

Quote from: bcshog on December 23, 2007, 10:19:33 pm
why would herring take the a&m job over arkansas.  i guess he feels slighted that he didn't get the hc position.

He wasn't offered to stay on.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hog_fan

OldArmy94

In high school, Applewhite wanted to go to A&M, I believe.

JIHawg

Look at our recruiting on the defensive side the last three years (dismal), and how bad we played on defense this year, Herring won't be missed.

3kgthog

I'm not sure the aTm faithful will put up with having to wait until the 5th game of the season for their defense to show up.

LA-Hog

pimpndistress

:razorback:  FIRE JEFF LONG :razorback:
SMITE ME IF YOU LOVE  JEFF LONG [move]

hog_fan

oldtimerhog

Didn't know BP offered?
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

hog_fan

Aleast Herring is going to wait until after bowl game to announce where he is going unlike rest of the staff with the expection of Bobby Allen and Alex Wood. Hopefully Jan 2nd they head down to Ole Piss and Bobby can get moved in and announce his staff.

Blue35

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: OldArmy94 on December 23, 2007, 11:03:50 pm

I don't think so being from Baton Rouge he was a Alabama fan being named after former Tide star Major Ogilive but wasn't offered by then Tide coach Mike Dubose and ended up at Texas for then HC John Makovic, but College Station is close to his home of Baton Rouge
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

BigMikehogg

yes.....the Falcons season ends next weekend and the Hogs ends the next day so i think a staff will be in place probably a couple days later.

RazorNoles

Quote from: CORZRBACKFAN on December 23, 2007, 10:30:58 pm
A&M has a solid defensive heritage and has a great recruiting base, so it's a great move for Reggie. Applewhite makes absolutely no sense though. Why would he go from being offensive coordinator at Alabama to take a lower-level QB coach position with a hated collegiate rival? Perhaps family issues? There has to be something personal going on there.

I wasn't impressed with Bama's offense. John Parker Wilson went from being a decent QB last year to down right horrible at times this year. It would be smart for Applewhite to take whatever job he can get.

WAN

December 24, 2007, 01:02:20 am #34 Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:08:55 pm by WAN

dragonfan

razor-trac

Quote from: RazorNoles on December 24, 2007, 12:16:54 am
I wasn't impressed with Bama's offense. John Parker Wilson went from being a decent QB last year to down right horrible at times this year. It would be smart for Applewhite to take whatever job he can get.

AL looked very good versus us on that last drive. Doesn't mean Applewhite is any good. Just means our D sucked at the time.

Applewhites is no Petrino - Paul or Bobby. Schemewise there is no equal in the SEC. I just hope we can get through the next couple years of dealing with Nutt's recruiting negligence.
"We have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord." BH Obama at inauguration

"A failure to act, and act now, will turn crisis into a catastrophe and guarantee a longer recession, a less robust recovery, and a more uncertain future. " BH Obama a couple weeks later

That's what I call change.

mj4president

I don't think he liked it here that much.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

FourthAndOne

Quote from: WAN on December 24, 2007, 01:02:20 am
So why would he leave if he isn't being forced out?

I don't know how Saban feels about Applewhite, but the necks are turning on Major in Alabama.   They can't blame the highest paid coach in the country for going 6-6 you know.  JPW made critical mistakes that probably cost his team football games.  Can't be Nick's fault.  They'll need a scapegoat.  A lateral move or close to one is something that  Applewhite should consider, because it will get ugly next season if the Tide continues their mediocre ways.   

bcdeputy

Quote from: Houston h on December 23, 2007, 10:45:49 pm
Goodbye and good ridance High School!

Funny,  that's exactly what I thought when Malzahn left!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

NWASooner

QuoteReggie will do well in the big 12.

No he won't.  That man blitz scheme he runs always gets lit up by a passing spread offense and that's what most of the Big 12 is running nowadays.  Texas used to run a similar defense and Tech would throw for 400+ yards on them every year.  They went to a zone a few years back.

As for Applewhite, why would he take a pay cut and a demotion to go to A&M?

natehog

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 23, 2007, 11:05:20 pm
I'm not sure the aTm faithful will put up with having to wait until the 5th game of the season for their defense to show up.

Exactly what I was thinking.  It was that way every year.

hoggystyle78

HamHands

Herring's defense lost 3 of our four games this year. I wish him luck.
One day at a time.

Porkem

Reggie should fit in nicely with the Aggies. 

I'm glad he's gone.  Time for new blood.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

grayhawg

Reggie: good luck Jan. 1st then good bye enjoy Texas.

Big Daddy

blake

XXL TideFan

Quote from: OldArmy94 on December 23, 2007, 11:03:50 pm

Applewhite wanted to go to Bama. He was named after Major Ogilvie. His family are HUGE Bama fans and he was raised properly.