Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5-star recruits

Started by hogmafia, December 14, 2007, 11:08:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiritHog

Non Illegitimus Carborundum

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: chrisbracadabra on December 17, 2007, 11:35:06 pm
Houston was pretty frickin good at evaluating talent IMO.
Every year he was near the bottom of the SEC in recruiting, but we have always had a pretty solid football team.
So he was either a crappy recruiter and a helluva football coach, or he was pretty darn good at evaluating talent.

Think about it, as low as we ranked in recruiting every year, we never really just sucked no matter how mediocre we were. We always had a chance to win, and usually did with his below-par recruiting class.

Nevertheless, Petrino is a better recruiter and coach. Hopefully he'll be able to motivate like HDN too.

I disagree. Nutt had a couple of 3-5 SEC seasons, at least one 2-6 (2005) and a few 4-4 SEC seasons. Arguably, 1998 and 2007 were his two best teams and he went 4-4 in SEC both of those years.
Thus, they did suck 3 or 4 years of 10 under Nutt and underperformed in at least 2 other seasons based on talent on the team.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

jackflash

For me in our recruiting is wasn"t the top half of the classes we signed that hurt,  the bottom half was the problem.  so signing a class with quality form top to bottom would work for me

oldfart

I think you hit the nail on the head here.  This leads to our constant problem of lack of depth.  Get a good first team but problems filling slots below that, and when we encounter an injury or other type of problem we have to wildly shuffle around to fill the gap. 

Quote from: jackflash on December 21, 2007, 07:49:42 am
For me in our recruiting is wasn"t the top half of the classes we signed that hurt,  the bottom half was the problem.  so signing a class with quality form top to bottom would work for me

JoeJuice

Quote from: chrisbracadabra on December 17, 2007, 11:35:06 pm
Houston was pretty frickin good at evaluating talent IMO.
Every year he was near the bottom of the SEC in recruiting, but we have always had a pretty solid football team.
So he was either a crappy recruiter and a helluva football coach, or he was pretty darn good at evaluating talent.

Think about it, as low as we ranked in recruiting every year, we never really just sucked no matter how mediocre we were. We always had a chance to win, and usually did with his below-par recruiting class.
I really dont think that 4-7 and 5-6 are great teams, especially in the SEC.

SquidBilly

Larry Coker got fired in Miami because he got so focused on the stars attached to a recruit that he forgot to evaluate them to see if they fit his schemes.  Petrino took Okoye who was a 2 star OL from Alabama and Dumervil who was a 3 star from Florida and turned them into two of the more dominating young defensive linemen in the NFL.  A coach is better served by recruiting talent (regardless of number of stars) to fit his system and then if there is a glaring need at a position or two going after the 4 and 5 star talent that may be able to come in right away and fill that need.

Oklahawg

Quote from: ATLpiggie on December 23, 2007, 02:40:58 pm
Larry Coker got fired in Miami because he got so focused on the stars attached to a recruit that he forgot to evaluate them to see if they fit his schemes.  Petrino took Okoye who was a 2 star OL from Alabama and Dumervil who was a 3 star from Florida and turned them into two of the more dominating young defensive linemen in the NFL.  A coach is better served by recruiting talent (regardless of number of stars) to fit his system and then if there is a glaring need at a position or two going after the 4 and 5 star talent that may be able to come in right away and fill that need.

Excellent.

Its tough to swallow, but Reggie Herring had a strong notion of what he wanted in players. Didn't always get those guys but his standards were pretty exacting.  It got us Malcolm Shepherd and that host of LB prospects we have chomping at the bit. Adrian Davis comes to mind as someone Herring saw that he liked and envisioned somewhere besides safety.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

My point with the last post is that a good coordinator knows what he wants for his system. He will recruit to that system. Petrino is outstanding about doing that with offense and ATL points out his successes doing that with defense.

It will amaze hog fans when you have player development + player evaluation + systemic planning. Nutt's biggest weakness was the latter, planning. He wasted most spring practices by not knowing what August and September would bring. Look at the improvement Herring made during each season. Started slow because of the systemic weaknesses of the HC.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

SpiritHog

I believe the wildcard is, "who will be the DC?"  I believe that BP is as good at picking coaches as he is talent evaluation.
Non Illegitimus Carborundum