Is Petrino going to go after any 5-star recruits? :razorback:

Wildhog

I think it's about time somebody does.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogtropolis™

Quote from: hogmafia on December 14, 2007, 11:08:40 pm
I think we'll find out soon after the dead period starts.  From everything I heard, he's just trying to secure all the current commits before Monday right now.

During the dead period, the coaching staff can actually contact recruits once a week by phone.  So I imagine all the new targets will be heard about then.

Wildhog

I expect big things from this guy recruiting.  It seems everyone wants to play for him.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

RickyRoma

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on December 14, 2007, 11:23:20 pm
I think we'll find out soon after the dead period starts.  From everything I heard, he's just trying to secure all the current commits before Monday right now.

During the dead period, the coaching staff can actually contact recruits once a week by phone.  So I imagine all the new targets will be heard about then.

don't you think that is the reason they wanted to get paul petrino on staff now?  so he can spend time looking at the talent on campus and the commits, so they can decide who to target after the dead period. 

Razorbackmedic

It may be too late this year but I am sure he will be all over them next year.

oldfart

keep in mind there are only a VERY small number of 5-stars.... so lets dont get our hopes too high this year anyway about finding an uncommitted 5-star.  however, next year is a different story

jpenrod1

Quote from: Wildhog05 on December 14, 2007, 11:27:11 pm
I expect big things from this guy recruiting.  It seems everyone wants to play for him.

Dont hold your breath. I think he will do well with instate guys, but he is not an amazing recruiter or anything. go look at his old classes they were not outstanding, and often times worse than Nutts. He is a great coach and if he can get somebody like coach O to help with recruiting he would be great all around, but his past classes are nothing special.

Wu Tang Clan

No, There are not that many 5 star recruits and out of the 30 or so many will already have ties with the instate school and the others will be recruited by every school in the country.  It does not matter who is coaching it will be difficult for Arkansas to pull in a 5 star player. 

navyhog24

i think he'll be better with recruiting to the sec. lousiville is not some place that a lot of recruits would want to go play football and playing in the big east doesn't have near the pull it does compared to the sec. lousiville doesn't have the near the kind of facilities we do. i think he'll be recruiting a lot better than when he was at lousville. he also was recruiting against UK for instate talent. i think with all this publicity, even if most of it is negative, and if he can prove that he belongs in the sec, then everything will be fine and work itself out,

VenturaHog

Quote from: jpenrod1 on December 15, 2007, 02:13:37 am
Dont hold your breath. I think he will do well with instate guys, but he is not an amazing recruiter or anything. go look at his old classes they were not outstanding, and often times worse than Nutts. He is a great coach and if he can get somebody like coach O to help with recruiting he would be great all around, but his past classes are nothing special.

His classes were better than most if not all of the other schools in conference, thats what you have to judge him by. An SEC school should be able to out recruit a CUSA team every time.

Sow’sEar

Guys,

there are only 15-20 5-star recruits in the Nation each year.  Even if they each go to a different school, that would leave about 100 division one schools without one.  Now, usually USC, Ohio State, and the like get more that one.  So in actuality 110 or more schools dont get one.

Dont put to much stock in 5-star recruits.  You could have a top 10 class without any.

Nutts and Bolts

All will be quiet on the Recruiting Front until Jan 1....All he is doing now is solidifying the ones who have committed now....There is a dead period coming up Sunday till Jan 1st...
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

The real Hogules

December 15, 2007, 10:11:02 am #13 Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:12:49 am by The real Hogules
I'd be willing to bet my bottom dollar that the coaching staff that coach Petrino puts together will land at least one five star recruit this season and will have several to choose from following next seasons conclusion.

This man is a genuine winner and a fighter, unlike the pretender (not contender) that recently moved to Oxford, Mississippi.

I actually expect at least a couple of highly rated players from across the Nation to reach out to coach Petrino and ask him for a scholarship offer to attend the UofA. 8)
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

ICEman

I think Notre Dame has got them all locked up for this year.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Spider-Pig

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 15, 2007, 10:11:02 am
I'd be willing to bet my bottom dollar that the coaching staff that coach Petrino puts together will land at least one five star recruit this season and will have several to choose from following next seasons conclusion.

This man is a genuine winner and a fighter, unlike the pretender (not contender) that recently moved to Oxford, Mississippi.

I actually expect at least a couple of highly rated players from across the Nation to reach out to coach Petrino and ask him for a scholarship offer to attend the UofA. 8)

I doubt that we get one this year, but maybe in the years to come we will.

Shizzle

BP only recruits 3-4 star he will not go after 5 stars. What a question, I am sure he will go after them
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

HoggusMaximus

Why does it matter if he goes after 5 Star Recruits Start Ratings are overrated anyways....... remember what Monk was rated? i think he was a 3 star?

LR Hog

Like a boss.

tbhogfan

Yes.  Next question....
Go Hogs!

Hogs4Ever

It would be nice, but honestly Petrino doesn't need them.  He is a truly a coach that can take a 2 or 3 star and make them a 4 star.  His classes were no higher than 34th at Louisville and he was winning 11 and 12 games a season.

Modsquad24

I dont care about stars man, its about coaching we'll do just fine with some 3's and 4's, we have a solid coach now so they will be good. GHG!

Modsquad24

hogs4ever beat me to it, exactly.

Trey1981

What was McFadden out of high school?  Was he a 5 star?

Shizzle

DMac was a 5 star on some and a 4 star on others. The problem with all these recruiting stars is a lot of these recruiting "experts" never see some of these kids play and rate them. I know they can't watch em all, but people put so much into what these guys say. I think it is best to trust your coaches if they get a 2 star or a 5 star both can become superstars, both can become flops.
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

Hog_of_the_HILL

Luigs was a two star.Felix a four star. Monk I think was a two star. Robert Johnson was a four star and one of the top high school qb's in the nation.....go figure
It was worth the wait

dougieritch

Quote from: jpenrod1 on December 15, 2007, 02:13:37 am

Yes but he recruited Florida very well and gettting a 3-Star WR from Florida is like getting a 4-Star WR from Arkansas.  The good news is Petrino is very good at judging talent...which is a far cry from Hootie...if they were fast they were an Arkansas Razorback.

IMAballHawg

Quote from: Hog_of_the_HILL on December 16, 2007, 07:24:16 pm
Luigs was a two star.Felix a four star. Monk I think was a two star. Robert Johnson was a four star and one of the top high school qb's in the nation.....go figure

I think Robert, in a different system and a different QB coach, could have had a great career.  Imagine what he might have been able to do at a West Virginia.
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q70/tkseib/texastoiletlarge.jpg<br /><br />Welcome to a new dawn in Razorback Athletics!

saywhat?

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 16, 2007, 12:52:31 am
Why does it matter if he goes after 5 Star Recruits Start Ratings are overrated anyways....... remember what Monk was rated? i think he was a 3 star?

While I'll agree the rankings are an inexact science, the odds of a four star or five star player being drafted in the NFL are much greater than a two or three star player.  Sure there are some two stars that turn out to be great players and sure there are some four and five stars that turn out to be duds but the likelihood of a five star player going to the NFL is much greater.  There is a pretty strong correlation to recruiting success and rankings.

Flatline

I would like to see him steal a few 4 stars.  If he gets a 5 star that would just be a bonus this late.

Derjen

Agreed - I'm not sure how much faith I put into the ratings for the following reasons:

1 - There are way too many HS football players to realistically say that this player is better than that player.

2 - Most importantly, you can't measure heart!

I'm not sure what Peyton Hillis was rated either, but as big as his biceps are, his heart is alot larger!

HoggusMaximus

payton was ranked fairly high

Derjen

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 17, 2007, 11:55:58 am
payton was ranked fairly high

Apparently, not as high as he should have been!

Derjen

More evidence as to why recruiting rankings are overrated!

Jamaal Anderson ** WR  6-6 205 4.6 -  Little Rock, AR

Taken from http://arkansas.rivals.com/commitlist.asp 2004 recruiting class...

I'm sure I'll get comments that he was rated as a WR, but you still get the point (or atleast you should).

HogsAllTheWayAllDay

Theres only 5 five star recruits that havent committed.
\\\"When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we don\\\'t see the one that has opened for us.\\\" -Winston Churchill

dougieritch

December 17, 2007, 03:58:04 pm #35 Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 04:01:31 pm by dougieritch
Quote from: Hog_of_the_HILL on December 16, 2007, 07:24:16 pm

Don't put too much into ROJO...Nutt is the QB Killa.  I think ROJO would have done very well taking over for the Roberson Kid at Kansas State, running the option, etc.

Quote from: Derjen on December 17, 2007, 12:08:13 pm

Taken from http://arkansas.rivals.com/commitlist.asp 2004 recruiting class...

I'm sure I'll get comments that he was rated as a WR, but you still get the point (or atleast you should).

I do agree with you regarding over/under rated players, however you do see the teams (USC, LSU, etc) that get the higher touted kids normally are more dominant and consisant.

31to6

Quote from: Derjen on December 17, 2007, 12:08:13 pm

Yes, but since I don't have the time, access or expertise to go evaluate every recruit in the nation a star rating gives me a way to compare how recruiting is going from season to season and team to team. There are always intangibles and there are always high school physiques that are not done growing and developing, but some of the recruiting rankings are based on speed. If a kid can run a 4.4 40 he is probably going to be faster as a college junior than some other kid who runs a 4.6.

The teams which consistently win are also the teams which consistently rank high in recruiting. Therein lies the "art" of recruiting: finding that 2* overlooked diamond in the rough and developing a star. But for every 2* that goes to the pros, there are 50 2*'s that don't even play D-1 ball.

Recruit rankings are flawed. But so are many measures that fall short of on-the-field performance. There are franchise NFL QB's who were not drafted in the 1st day with one or two 1st rounders sitting on the bench backing them up.

However, flawed or not, the alternative to using the recruiting scores to measure the relative quality of a recruiting class is "trust the coach".

I've enough of faith, give me numbers. :)

SpiritHog

Quote from: Lulu Hog on December 15, 2007, 09:54:44 am
Guys,

there are only 15-20 5-star recruits in the Nation each year.  Even if they each go to a different school, that would leave about 100 division one schools without one.  Now, usually USC, Ohio State, and the like get more that one.  So in actuality 110 or more schools dont get one.

Dont put to much stock in 5-star recruits.  You could have a top 10 class without any.

I counted 28 on Rivals. 
Non Illegitimus Carborundum

JShipCPA

HoggusMaximus

Quote from: Derjen on December 17, 2007, 12:01:32 pm
Apparently, not as high as he should have been!

he was the No 2 Ranked Fullback of 2004...... I think thats pretty high....

Dropkick

I would rather have a 3 star kid who dreams about being a Razorback and will play his heart out.

adavis517

A kid like that with a coach like we have NOW could turn out to do great things.

chrisbracadabra

Quote from: dougieritch on December 17, 2007, 10:31:27 am
Yes but he recruited Florida very well and gettting a 3-Star WR from Florida is like getting a 4-Star WR from Arkansas.  The good news is Petrino is very good at judging talent...which is a far cry from Hootie...if they were fast they were an Arkansas Razorback.

Houston was pretty frickin good at evaluating talent IMO.
Every year he was near the bottom of the SEC in recruiting, but we have always had a pretty solid football team.
So he was either a crappy recruiter and a helluva football coach, or he was pretty darn good at evaluating talent.

Think about it, as low as we ranked in recruiting every year, we never really just sucked no matter how mediocre we were. We always had a chance to win, and usually did with his below-par recruiting class.

Nevertheless, Petrino is a better recruiter and coach. Hopefully he'll be able to motivate like HDN too.

Bryan (CHF)

I was just looking through old rivals listings for recruiting and Arkansas has only signed 2 5-star recruits since 2002: Darren McFadden & Mitch Mustain. Sadly, after Jan it appears we won't have the one we have left. Another interesting look at the recruiting system, DMAC was ranked #23 overall in the Top 100 recruits that year. Somehow I'm thinking there aren't 22 Jrs that are better than him.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=817
Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

AFWarrior83

Quote from: Dropkick on December 17, 2007, 10:51:46 pm
I would rather have a 3 star kid who dreams about being a Razorback and will play his heart out.

Alright dale. :)
Hogville member since 2005.

oldman1015

houston?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Joe

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Monk plays like a 3 star most of the time, he is a perfect example of the rating system working.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!    
:razorback: Welcome to the future of Razorback football :razorback:

Dr. J.

Quote from: HoggusMaximus on December 17, 2007, 10:40:54 pm
he was the No 2 Ranked Fullback of 2004...... I think thats pretty high....

He's also the number one rated fullback in the upcoming NFL draft.

InHogWeTrust

Stars mean little to nothing.  McFadden was a three star coming in, and look where he is now.  DeAngelo Williams out of Wynne was a 1 star, and he almost won the Heisman.  Now, he's playing on Sunday.  Chris Baker was a five star out of Oceola, and I don't know if he caught 50 passes in his career :).  It just goes to show you, don't get caught up in the pre-collegiate hype of rivals.com and scout.com.  Keep your head high and have faith in the new coach, we'll be fine.  Arkansas recruits are usually underrated anyway.

(I got these facts from scout.com..they may be different on rivals)

Tammany Tom

Quote from: InHogWeTrust on December 18, 2007, 11:16:49 am
Stars mean little to nothing.  McFadden was a three star coming in, and look where he is now. 
(I got these facts from scout.com..they may be different on rivals)

I can't believe you guys don't follow your own players and recruiting better than that.  McFadden was a 4 star on Scout and a 5 star on rivals. McFadden was considered one of the very best players in the country his senior year in high school.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=8&toinid=746&yr=2005

http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2005&School=6