Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey just appologized for the loss!!!

Started by ThisTeetsTaken, November 16, 2007, 06:46:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

RhodeHog

Classy....just like the last basketball coach.  Let's just hope he can coach better.

EastMemphisHog

Just heard it too. Man, he makes me feel so much better about a loss. He is pissed, and I like how he's reacting to the loss.

eiooSgiPooW

"When you are so far out on the fringe that you question one's degree of darkness you are REALLY swimming in a shallow pool."

WilsonHog

That man has some fire.

He was chewing their asses several times during the game.

deucea729

So, this is what it feels like to have a coach who takes some responsibility.

I like it.

hogchic2001

Quote from: deucea729 on November 16, 2007, 06:49:18 pm
So, this is what it feels like to have a coach who takes some responsibility.

I like it.
It's been a long time coming.
Go HOGS Go!

razorback_grad

Wonderful, he has great character.  I'd rather have a win.

EastMemphisHog

Not to mention, he's had more Tech's in 3 games than Stan had in whole career. Not that it's a great thing, but at least he shows he's into the game. Stan was knitting sweaters during the game.

stronguard

Let's hope he can teach ball security to this bunch.  I can handle a loss when we're outplayed.  I can't handle being outcoached. 

We weren't outcoached, we just don't have ball handling guards yet.  We have signed 2 for next year.  Things will improve.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

razorback_grad

I don't think that a freshmen point guard is going to be the answer next year, especially when we lose all of our other talent.

RD

He is going to run their assses off and rightfully so.

dakpowers

Once he gets players who can play (I.E., not Ervin, etc.), he'll be much better. Sonny and Pat can't carry this team.

Hoop

Quote from: razorback_grad on November 16, 2007, 06:53:34 pm
I don't think that a freshmen point guard is going to be the answer next year, especially when we lose all of our other talent.
What talent?
Blaming Alex Wood for any problems with the offense is like blaming a spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being fat.-Swino

Hiring Dana Altman would be about as sexy as waking up in the morning to find your grandma with one tit in the coffee and the other in the oatmeal. -Wilsonhog

Nashville Fan

Dam I wouldn't want to have to fly back on the plane with him. AR better win tomorrow or they will pull the seats out of the plane and make em run all the way home.
Pittman or Bust!

razorsox

Quote from: razorback_grad on November 16, 2007, 06:53:34 pm
Maybe Nutt can coach basketball and then you would be happy.
The last thing we need is a bunch of rednecks running around with McFadden Cowboy jerseys.

hogginbama

Anything kind of ball handling point guard will be better next year than what we have right now. Less than 15 seconds into a game and our PG records his first to. Wow, just wow. Also, what was up with Hunter, that stretch in the 1st half where he touched the ball 4 times in a row and turned it over all 4. Talk about them needing some running, discipline and down right "take care of the ball" coaching. I have faith that Pel will get it right, at least this year the players are seeing some piss and vinegar from the sidelines and not just a ho-hum demeanor.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

PigSnort

Stan took the blame, too.  And I bet he didn't have back to back games with nearly 60 turnovers.  Not a Pelphrey bash, but maybe Stan didn't do such a bad job with these guys as we thot.

Nashville Fan

Pittman or Bust!

rude1

Get used to it, there will plenty more apologizing to come before this season is over. This collection of players have always been a turnover looking for a place to happen, and speeding them up only serves to speed up the rate at which they turn it over.

mosehawg

way to go coach...accept the loss and build on it...Classy guy this Pelphry
"I don't take no anesthetic. Did Lincoln ask for any girlie gas when they blowed his head off?"

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: rude1 on November 16, 2007, 06:58:38 pm
Get used to it, there will plenty more apologizing to come before this season is over. This collection of players have always been a turnover looking for a place to happen, and speeding them up only serves to speed up the rate at which they turn it over.

Exactamundo....they have to get use to the blazing pace.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

LZH

Trivial, but when we met him at the fish fry a couple of months ago, I took pictures with him and my daughter and her friend that came with us.  I thanked him and gave him my standard line like 'good luck and bla, bla, bla.  He told me whenever I got my prints back, send 'em to him and he'd sign them and send them back if I wanted him to.  Guess what.  He did...one for each girl (I sent him two).  Over the years, I've sent an 8x10 to Nutt, Heath, and Pelphrey of the pics with them and my young'un and never got anything back.  So, my point is, JP is OK by me and I'm willing to give him a 'pass'...he wants to be here and he wants to win.  WPS.

aristotle

I admit that was ugly to watch. Nice to hear the coach own up, though he did all he could do. Anybody with sense knew it would take a little adjustment to change styles. On top of that, we have no great players. We have Beverly, who will probably be great, and a bunch of just good players.

HoggySTruman

razorback_grad

If you don't think this team has loads of talent, you are blind.  What they lack and have always lacked is chemistry.  I don't know if that can be coached.

MaconBacon

He coached the WHOLE game and I am glad to see it. I cant remember us ever having over 30 turnovers though...it was like we had teflon on our fingers.   We looked a little rushed and out of synch. and I was surprised to see our guys passing so much before crossing mid court.  I think Providence was a pretty salty team and we'll probably see them in the 25 shortly into the season. I am thrilled to see Pelph getting in the faces of the boys and showing some emotion, man we needed that. The ESPNU announcers were horrible and barely covered portions of the game....let me rephrase that...they sucked!

Hollywood_HOGan45

somebody remind me why we took gary ervin and didnt have a backup plan in recruiting when we didnt get willie kemp

MDH

Quote from: MaconBacon on November 16, 2007, 07:18:47 pm
He coached the WHOLE game and I am glad to see it. I cant remember us ever having over 30 turnovers though...it was like we had teflon on our fingers.   We looked a little rushed and out of synch. and I was surprised to see our guys passing so much before crossing mid court.  I think Providence was a pretty salty team and we'll probably see them in the 25 shortly into the season. I am thrilled to see Pelph getting in the faces of the boys and showing some emotion, man we needed that. The ESPNU announcers were horrible and barely covered portions of the game....let me rephrase that...they sucked!

That's why they are on ESPNU.  Crap Announcers and Television is much better than no Television though ;)

Actually most of ESPN's announcers suck, regardless of the channel.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

hogsailor

Quote from: LedZepHog on November 16, 2007, 07:06:20 pm
Trivial, but when we met him at the fish fry a couple of months ago, I took pictures with him and my daughter and her friend that came with us.  I thanked him and gave him my standard line like 'good luck and bla, bla, bla.  He told me whenever I got my prints back, send 'em to him and he'd sign them and send them back if I wanted him to.  Guess what.  He did...one for each girl (I sent him two).  Over the years, I've sent an 8x10 to Nutt, Heath, and Pelphrey of the pics with them and my young'un and never got anything back.  So, my point is, JP is OK by me and I'm willing to give him a 'pass'...he wants to be here and he wants to win.  WPS.

Good story!

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

alohawg

Quote from: razorback_grad on November 16, 2007, 07:16:36 pm
If you don't think this team has loads of talent, you are blind.  What they lack and have always lacked is chemistry.  I don't know if that can be coached.

Call me blind by that definition then. Beverly is the only kid with real basketball IQ and the talent to match. He is the only player with NBA potential and if he stays put by his senior yr. coach Pel could have a really good squad in place around him.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hogsailor

Quote from: MDH on November 16, 2007, 07:25:22 pm
Quote from: MaconBacon on November 16, 2007, 07:18:47 pm

That's why they are on ESPNU.  Crap Announcers and Television is much better than no Television though ;)

Actually most of ESPN's announcers suck, regardless of the channel.

WERD!!!!

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

SLC

Quote from: PigSnort on November 16, 2007, 06:57:58 pm
Stan took the blame, too.  And I bet he didn't have back to back games with nearly 60 turnovers.  Not a Pelphrey bash, but maybe Stan didn't do such a bad job with these guys as we thot.

The kicker though being, they were Stan's guys.  That is the team Stan assembled, and the performance was unacceptable.  
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

deucea729

This may be too severe of a comparison, but Nolan's first team trying to play his style comes to mind.

These players are athletic (in their own special way), but were not recruited for this style.

HangTenHog

Hey folks....I was there (every game that year) that we transitioned from Sutton's players to Nolan's coaching. Try and remember that if you can. We entered the season full of hope and optimism; yet we really struggled to do well. This was even though Eddie and Nolan rode their butts pretty hard during this time (so, perhaps even less of a transition, if you can figure that).

While I'm not saying it will be the same this year. We do have history as a guide.

SLC

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on November 16, 2007, 07:21:56 pm
somebody remind me why we took gary ervin and didnt have a backup plan in recruiting when we didnt get willie kemp

This year it was the whole coaching fiasco starting w/ Billy G. pulling a quick one on JFB.  I do not believe these are the players Pel would pick, but they are the players he has.  I expect better than today's performance.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

SLC

Quote from: razorback_grad on November 16, 2007, 07:16:36 pm

This is a tough statement to analyze.  15 years ago, this team would not have top 25 talent.  Today's game is more watered down, so while the talent is not great, it is more competitive in today's game.

LZH

Quote from: hogsailor on November 16, 2007, 07:29:22 pm
Quote from: LedZepHog on November 16, 2007, 07:06:20 pm

Good story!

'Preesh...and +1 to you for the butt shot.

BTW, JP had to feel like a stepchild since FB and JL was at the dinner.  It was clear to me that the whole thing was about FB's retirement, stories and the like.  But when it came time for him to speak, he did very well.  He's no candy ass, that's fer sher.

PigSnort

Quote from: SLC on November 16, 2007, 07:34:53 pm

The kicker though being, they were Stan's guys.  That is the team Stan assembled, and the performance was unacceptable. 

But I thot everyone had us in the Final Four after that first exhibition game?  Now we're rebuilding?

Most of the time we tend to over rate our own players, and sometimes our (new) coaches.

Buck Ocean

I love the coach but lets face it, the team might win, but the turnovers and helpless play won't leave until these 6 seniors do:

Townes
Thomas
Hill
Hunter
Ervin
Weems

A great team could afford to have any one or two of those guys.  But all 6 means that is the equivalent to a starting lineup.  And that will not work.  They shuffle feet, throw passes inside to the opposition, step on lines, commit fouls in the paint, shuffle feet a little more, and have TERRIBLE court awareness. 

Sorry.  Its a fact.  4 of them have been doing it for 4 years.  The other two just the last 16 months.  Weems is a great athlete, jumper, fingerroller and 30 percent 3 shooter but he turns the ball over lets face it.

With the younger class, at least the coach can get to them early and enforce the fundamentals.
Think like a Jedi

Pigdiana Jones

Give JP a break, he's a new coach, a new system, new style of playing ball for these guys. They have to adjust just as much as the coach does too. I like the fire in JP's stomach, he coaches with zeal. He believes in conditioning and always trying to do your best. Those things I think were lacking w/ Heath, and I liked Heath. I think JP is going to be another great like Nolan, but we have to give him time and let him get everything in order. You can't expect miracles from a brand new coach with a brand new system, new style of playing, and the players are still learning. It takes time. JP will be fine. I can tell you one of my friends who is as big a KY bball fan as I am a Hog bball fan wishes they could have gotten JP if they didn't get who they got. He is really loved up there in KY.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

deucea729

Quote from: salebow on November 16, 2007, 07:51:10 pm
Give JP a break, he's a new coach, a new system, new style of playing ball for these guys. They have to adjust just as much as the coach does too. I like the fire in JP's stomach, he coaches with zeal. He believes in conditioning and always trying to do your best. Those things I think were lacking w/ Heath, and I liked Heath. I think JP is going to be another great like Nolan, but we have to give him time and let him get everything in order. You can't expect miracles from a brand new coach with a brand new system, new style of playing, and the players are still learning. It takes time. JP will be fine. I can tell you one of my friends who is as big a KY bball fan as I am a Hog bball fan wishes they could have gotten JP if they didn't get who they got. He is really loved up there in KY.

I don't think anyone is jumping on Pel here.  We are definitely going to give him time - he's a class act and has all the makings of being one of the greats.

31to6

They never looked sharp on offense under Stan. *Ever*

And now they are trying to run a completely different system.

Patience.

elksnort

I said this last November or December on this site that until we get a real point guard, we are going to struggle. Gary Ervin can play real well every once and awhile. We need a freakin point guard. And maybe, the talent assembled by Stan is not is good as we all think. ???

I like Pelphrey. There seems something about him that is promissing.

PigSnort

Quote from: deucea729 on November 16, 2007, 07:54:15 pm
Quote from: salebow on November 16, 2007, 07:51:10 pm

I don't think anyone is jumping on Pel here.  We are definitely going to give him time - he's a class act and has all the makings of being one of the greats.

The makings of one of the greats?   Not like Arky fans to go overboard or anything...

SLC

Quote from: PigSnort on November 16, 2007, 07:47:26 pm
Quote from: SLC on November 16, 2007, 07:34:53 pm

The kicker though being, they were Stan's guys.  That is the team Stan assembled, and the performance was unacceptable. 

But I thot everyone had us in the Final Four after that first exhibition game?  Now we're rebuilding?

Most of the time we tend to over rate our own players, and sometimes our (new) coaches.

I think that is fair.  It is human nature and everyone being giddy (yes... giddy) over the new coach with lots of fire probably makes us over optimistic.  Me included. 

joedirt

It's still a loss.  It's not about blame.  Just fix it. 

What's the deal about everyone wanting accountability?  They don't owe you a reason.  Get over your freaking ego!

pfrg999

Last year we won the san luis obispo classic or what ever it was.... And we were mediocre... It will take some time to get this team up to where we need them...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

SLC

Quote from: joedirt on November 16, 2007, 08:24:00 pm
It's still a loss.  It's not about blame.  Just fix it. 

What's the deal about everyone wanting accountability?  They don't owe you a reason.  Get over your freaking ego!

DANG!!!!!!!!  Did you see the new Auto Trader?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.