Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

16, 11, 10, 9, 8, 6, 6, 6

Started by mathhog, November 15, 2007, 10:31:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mathhog

was the total points by player for our top 7 scorers.  charles thomas had an off night and only got 3 (though he nabbed 6 boards and 4 assists).  britt and cox did cleanup and didnt score.

BALANCE:  what a wonderful thing!

i know its flashy to have some chris lofton or durant who gets 26pts a game, but i like the fact we have a bunch of guys who can score... 

yes, it was CoCharleston, but still.... i like our balance, and think it will help more as the SEC comes around.

BrooklynRoss

"only college of charleston" good point but I never count out a team coached by Bobby Cremens, he's a legend. CofC played a good game but our defense was smothering. It was very nice to see our team playing fantastic team defense and really hitting the boards hard. We looked rusty on offense but the difference in attitude and movement on the floor was VASTLY improved over last year. I'm feeling really good about this team. I saw a lot tonight that reminded me of Pitino-coached Kentucky teams. Gotta love Anthony Grant pulling out a tough one against Houston. I really really want to see a Pel/Grant future genious coach matchup in the finals!
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

mathhog

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on November 15, 2007, 11:08:23 pm
"only college of charleston" good point but I never count out a team coached by Bobby Cremens, he's a legend. CofC played a good game but our defense was smothering. It was very nice to see our team playing fantastic team defense and really hitting the boards hard. We looked rusty on offense but the difference in attitude and movement on the floor was VASTLY improved over last year. I'm feeling really good about this team. I saw a lot tonight that reminded me of Pitino-coached Kentucky teams. Gotta love Anthony Grant pulling out a tough one against Houston. I really really want to see a Pel/Grant future genious coach matchup in the finals!

no offense to CoC, they have been a giant killer in years past.... lots of upsets and lots of close losses to the big boys.    also hats off to cremins, that '90 team he had at GaTech with Kenny Anderson was phenomenal.

what i meant was, sure we can have lots of scoring aagainst a southern conference team, but still, that's a great balance distributino no matter who you are playing!

Hollywood_HOGan45

gotta love that defense too.

held our first two opponents under 50.

lets make it two in a row tomorrow.

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: mathhog on November 15, 2007, 11:19:07 pm
Quote from: BrooklynRoss on November 15, 2007, 11:08:23 pm

no offense to CoC, they have been a giant killer in years past.... lots of upsets and lots of close losses to the big boys.    also hats off to cremins, that '90 team he had at GaTech with Kenny Anderson was phenomenal.

what i meant was, sure we can have lots of scoring aagainst a southern conference team, but still, that's a great balance distributino no matter who you are playing!

Yeah, I like the balance too as you pointed out. This CofC team is definitely not as good as last years team but the spirit is still there. Hey, but it felt good to watch a team playing hogball after a few years away, no?
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

hogster23

what was the final score tonight?

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

coach, my back hurts

I thought we looked sloppy, actually, that may be a big understatement.  If play like that tomorrow, we'll get beat bad.

I still see our players making the same bone-head plays they did last yr.  I think we have some serious potential with this team, but we dont have that nucleus of players that are National Championship caliber players.  The teams that win championships have "smart" players and i dont think we do other than 1 or 2. 

Washington may have the most "talent" of any bball player ever, but i dont think he knows the game that well.  Put it this way, when the game is on the line, how many players would we honestly trust to have the ball in their hands?  1 guy?  2 guys?  If we expect to win a championship, we've gotta have more than that. 

If were trying to milk the clock and everytime the ball gets in Weems' hands, we can start expecting a stupid pass.  Same goes for Hill, Townes, Welsh, Washington, and Hunter.  Hell, thats about the only players that play.

I just dont see any Corliss', or Beck's, or McDaniel's on this team.  I really like Beverly and Thomas, though, and wish they would be in the game the most.  I love their effort and i think they understand what it takes to win.  Grabbing a rebound, diving on the floor, drawing a charge, making a freethrow, etc, etc.  Those 2 guys i can live with.

I want to see.......
Ervin, Bevy, Welsh, Thomas and Townes starting 
Or.....
Ervin, Bevy, Washington, Thomas and Townes.

Hill and Weems need to come off the bench.  They are about 6-8 TO's combined waiting to happen.

I didnt see much of the Providence game, but what part i did see, Temple looked like the better team.  If we dont pick it up, we'll get beat.

26 TO's to a team that is one letter short or being an abriviation of a male organ is pathetic.  COC*

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on November 16, 2007, 12:47:41 am
I thought we looked sloppy, actually, that may be a big understatement.  If play like that tomorrow, we'll get beat bad.

I still see our players making the same bone-head plays they did last yr.  I think we have some serious potential with this team, but we dont have that nucleus of players that are National Championship caliber players.  The teams that win championships have "smart" players and i dont think we do other than 1 or 2. 

Washington may have the most "talent" of any bball player ever, but i dont think he knows the game that well.  Put it this way, when the game is on the line, how many players would we honestly trust to have the ball in their hands?  1 guy?  2 guys?  If we expect to win a championship, we've gotta have more than that. 

If were trying to milk the clock and everytime the ball gets in Weems' hands, we can start expecting a stupid pass.  Same goes for Hill, Townes, Welsh, Washington, and Hunter.  Hell, thats about the only players that play.

I just dont see any Corliss', or Beck's, or McDaniel's on this team.  I really like Beverly and Thomas, though, and wish they would be in the game the most.  I love their effort and i think they understand what it takes to win.  Grabbing a rebound, diving on the floor, drawing a charge, making a freethrow, etc, etc.  Those 2 guys i can live with.

I want to see.......
Ervin, Bevy, Welsh, Thomas and Townes starting 
Or.....
Ervin, Bevy, Washington, Thomas and Townes.

Hill and Weems need to come off the bench.  They are about 6-8 TO's combined waiting to happen.

I didnt see much of the Providence game, but what part i did see, Temple looked like the better team.  If we dont pick it up, we'll get beat.

26 TO's to a team that is one letter short or being an abriviation of a male organ is pathetic.  COC*

uhm calm down its the second game of the year...and its a new system...the players will adjust and then u will be saying dang that pel is sure a genius :D

alaback

How about this number?  26 Turnovers!

That is just not going to work.  I'll take 12-15, but 26 will definitely get us beaten soundly against quality opponents.  Especially on the road against mediocre SEC competition.

Conway Cool Daddy

17 first half TOs. Wow.

Well, the good thing is that we don't have to worry about peaking too early.

Tomhog™

Turnovers come from mental lapses and lazy play.  They also come from playing a new style and not being adjusted to it.  I'm not too concerned at this point.  I believe they will have less than 20 against Providence.  They should beat Providence by a dozen or so today.

pokeydaman

what i like from the game, was that even though we had so many turnovers...we finished the game!! we finished it strong..thats what counts. Thats what Pelphrey will bring.

coach, my back hurts

My concern has absolutely NOTHING to do with Pel.  I just dont think we have basketball savy players.  I think some of guys, other than 2 or 3, are just dumb.  Plain and simple.

No reason for a guard to drive in the lane, in traffic.  We did several times yesterday and they tried putting the brakes on and their feet slid for a traveling call.  The other times it happened, our 5'0 guards couldnt pass over the top of the 6'6 - 6'8 big men and they tipped the pass.  Weems is just a lazy passer.

Look at this way.  Most of these guys have been taught to do something for 2 or 3yrs.  Its going to take a LONG time to get that corrected.  Or maybe it wont at all.  Pel has nothing to do with Weems looking and acting like he just woke up from a 34hr nap.  Same goes for Hill.

Modsquad24

I know winning game 1 by 22 and game 2 by 26 was depressing to me too, I think we might win ten games all year, way to close for my liking, GHG!

coach, my back hurts

Quote from: Modsquad24 on November 16, 2007, 02:58:35 pm
I know winning game 1 by 22 and game 2 by 26 was depressing to me too, I think we might win ten games all year, way to close for my liking, GHG!

I tell ya what, if win our third game by 20+ pts i'll be a happy, happy man.

I'm VERY excited about watching our team play against our 1st tough opponent.

Kilgor

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on November 16, 2007, 03:31:26 pm
Quote from: Modsquad24 on November 16, 2007, 02:58:35 pm

I tell ya what, if win our third game by 20+ pts i'll be a happy, happy man.

I'm VERY excited about watching our team play against our 1st tough opponent.

What did you think of today's game modsquad?  I think CMBH has some very valid concerns.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/