Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Nail - Drives me crazy

Started by razorzapp, November 15, 2007, 05:36:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorzapp

He really needs to learn to talk faster and just give the details.  You hear the whistle blow or the crowd react and 10 seconds later he finally gets around to telling you what happened.

Good example a few minutes ago.  Crowd cheers and THEN he says SLOWLY 'Patrick Beverly....  deep in the corner.....  for 3.....  GOOD'.

Would be so much better if he would say '3 pointer....  GOOD!.....  Patrick Beverly from deep in the corner......'

Am I the only one that can't barely stand to listen to him? 

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: razorzapp on November 15, 2007, 05:36:48 pm
He really needs to learn to talk faster and just give the details.  You hear the whistle blow or the crowd react and 10 seconds later he finally gets around to telling you what happened.

Good example a few minutes ago.  Crowd cheers and THEN he says SLOWLY 'Patrick Beverly....  deep in the corner.....  for 3.....  GOOD'.

Would be so much better if he would say '3 pointer....  GOOD!.....  Patrick Beverly from deep in the corner......'

he's awful

40MINSOFHELL

i wish jimmy dykes did our basketball games, now that would be nice

razorzapp

i never realized how bad he was until i had to listen to one of the AR/LSU games while driving through LA last year.  the LSU play-by-play guy was very good.

hawgsav1

Yeah, I kinda agree.  i grew up with Mike Nail and I like the way his voice rings in the radio, but damn, I have no idea what's going on.  I usually discern from the crowd noise more than anything...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

razorzapp

i think he has a great radio voice but you are exactly right.  listen to the crowd and you will figure out what's going on.

cardinalhawg

Yeah, it gets annoying to me too, when I you hear the fan noise and realize what has occured before he says it.  I think he has a good play by play voice, but he is behind the action.  I am one of the few probably who thinks he did better at football than basketball, despite being rusty at not having done football in a while before last season.

ConwayHog

Blake Eddins wasn't exactly the best sidekick. 

Scott Inman with Jimmy Dykes.  Now there's a combo.

It's too bad Jimmy Dykes isn't a realistic option. 

UrAzoRbacKs

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on November 15, 2007, 09:52:07 pm
Blake Eddins wasn't exactly the best sidekick. 

Scott Inman with Jimmy Dykes.  Now there's a combo.

It's too bad Jimmy Dykes isn't a realistic option. 

Gotta agree with you on Inman.  The few Razorback games he called last year (I think during the pre-season tourney) really impressed me.  I could easily picture exactly what was happening and he was right on time, no delay.  He's one you can listen to while watching the game on TV with the sound turned down.

craftyhog

Nutt can text faster than Nail can talk. Really enjoyed Blake Eddins though. Inman and Eddins would be great.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on November 15, 2007, 05:47:37 pm
Quote from: razorzapp on November 15, 2007, 05:36:48 pm

he's awful

I'll second the motion on that - he drives me nuts when he gets all excited when something bad happens, then it takes 20-30 seconds for the listener to realize things just tightened up.  It makes things very frustrating.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: craftyhog on November 16, 2007, 09:09:48 am
Nutt can text faster than Nail can talk. Really enjoyed Blake Eddins though. Inman and Eddins would be great.

Is Eddins temporary?  He did a great job yesterday - out with the old, in with the new, says I.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

OLDHOG

I agree. He talks to much about things that nobody cares about and not enough about whats going on in the game. It drives me crazy.

ConwayHog

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on November 16, 2007, 09:47:22 am
Quote from: craftyhog on November 16, 2007, 09:09:48 am

Is Eddins temporary?  He did a great job yesterday - out with the old, in with the new, says I.

Eddins is horrible.

ConwayHog

Good thing there aren't yard lines in basketball.  Mike Nail would never tell you where they were on the football field.

wholehog92

Eddins was a distraction.  Obscure references no one cares about and then silence for a while and then poof another obscure reference.  He mentioned his walkon roomy that probably had less than 15 mins pt the entire time he was at ARKY.  I knew him because one of my buddys also stayed with them, but I was thinking "Damn Blake, no one else is going to remember him."  I have already forgot the name, but recognized it when I heard it.  I'll live with him as a replacement because I like him and he's funny at times, but not a permanent position please.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Dugann

think mike is loosing a step... his time is about up.  can not keep up with action anymore.  just age imo.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

tcarllee

Mike is never sure who the foul was called on.  He always calls the shot but it takes forever to know if it is good.

Dugann

like his voice, love the history he has with us but game is just too fast for him right now....think that was the problem with fb last year, in his prime he'd been great at football too imo.  just fact of life :( i would miss his voice if they changed though.

call me dumb but I always thought him and paul sounded alike on the radio.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

hogblade

I personally think his voice has weakened as well and doesn't sound right. It's really shaky.