Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Come on, I dare you..........Arkansas at Bama-9/15/07

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, May 05, 2007, 09:58:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

May 05, 2007, 09:58:39 am Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 10:17:24 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Well, since everyone pretty well agrees we SHOULD beat Troy....let's move on to the Alabama game.

The Hogs should be coming into this game 1-0 after getting a little scare early, but pulling away from Troy late. Alabama should come into this game 2-0 after handling Western Carolina and Vanderbilt.

The Strengths vs. Weaknesses should play out as follows:
OFFENSE
QB: Advantage-Alabama
Bama has John Parker Wilson who started all last year and was 216 of 379(57%) for 2,707 yards(12.53 yards per completion) averaging 208 yards per game, for 17 TD's and 10 INT's.
Arkansas has Casey Dick who appeared in 10 games last season and was 65 of 132(49%) for 991 yards(15.25 yards per completion) averaging 99.1 yards per game, for 9 TD's and 6 INT's.

RB: Advantage-Clearly to Arkansas
Alabama returns Jimmy Johns, Glen Coffee and Roy Upchurch, but a RS Freshman by the name of Terry Grant(5-9, 184, 4.4-40) has moved ahead of all of them on the depth chart. I can only figure he must be pretty darned good, but obviously, lacks experience.
Arkansas has, aw gee, no need to even go here, hands down, it is Arkansas.

WR: Advantage-Alabama
Alabama has 6-3, 204 Keith Brown. 4.5-40, 44 catches for 590 yards and 3 TD's. 6-3, 186 DJ Hall. 4.4-40, 62 catches for 1056 yards and 5 TD's. They also have a group of others that have 1-2 TD's each.
Arkansas counters with 6-6, 217, Marcus Monk. 4.6-40, 50 catches last year for 962 yards and 11 TD's. 6-2, 210 Robert Johnson. 4.5-40, 6 catches for 96 yards and no TD's last year. Arkansas also has several players with only 1-2 TD catches each for the season.

O-Line: Advantage-Alabama
Alabama returns every starter on their offensive line from last season and they have depth at every position averaging 6-4, 308 per man.
Arkansas returns three starters from last season and one man, Nate Garner, with 8 games experience last season and several others with 6 games experience. Depth is a key issue as Arkansas averages 6-5, 309 per man.

DEFENSE
D-Line: Advantage-Arkansas
Alabama has two upper classmen at each end that average 4.7 in the 40 and have the quickness to be effective, as well as size, averaging 6-4, 262. Bama is starting a RS Freshmen NG and this is their weak point, up the middle.
Arkansas has Sheppard and Antwain Robinson that come in about 6-2-1/2 and 255. Both have good speed and quickness with both being experienced. Arkansas has good depth at DT and should enable them to insure an ongoing quality rotation of fresh legs.

LB: Adavantage-Alabama
Alabama is deep, experienced and fast at their LB positions in the 3-4 defense that they normally play. Four of their LB's played in every game last season with the remainder having appeared in at least 10 games.
Arkansas loses Butu but gets Fairchild back, as well as Dacus and adds newcomer Ryan Powers to the mix. Depth is not an issue, but experience may be.

Secondary: Advantage-Alabama
Alabama returns mature, experienced starters at every position, all of whom are upper classmen. All are over 6-0 and all have 4.5 speed as a minimum.
Arkansas must replace Chris Houston and Randy Kelly, but they get Grant back and return Hewitt and Richardson. Depth may be an issue here and may preclude an effective rotation.

Kicking Game: Advantage-Even
I am not going there. History has shown this to be pretty poor for both schools.

The way I see it, Alabama has the advantage 5 to 2 with one tie int he kicking game. This is just how I honestly see it....Saban or no Saban, Nutt or no Nutt.

Your takes????????
Go Hogs Go!

mword

Alabama 27 Arkansas 24 - Alabama will have a new kicker in this game.

Bvilleboar

If we were at home I would pick the Hogs hands down.  It will be tough to beat them on the road.  I have traveled there to watch us play before.  We never won when I went so I am staying home this time.  Hope it works.
2012 the year of the HOGS

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bvilleboar on May 05, 2007, 10:01:58 am
If we were at home I would pick the Hogs hands down.  It will be tough to beat them on the road.  I have traveled there to watch us play before.  We never won when I went so I am staying home this time.  Hope it works.

Not only will it be at THEIR house, but I think Saban will have them re-invigorated. I think that if they could embarass us(which I don't think they can), they would, because I think that will be their mindset.........them against the world after last season.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

edt

Saban is not a god. Alabama does not have enough talent at this point to beat us. Two or three years from now it will be a different story. Dmac will hang about 175yds on them and Felix may break 100.

Arkapigdiesel

Saban will win a national title at 'Bama within five years.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Richard_white

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 05, 2007, 10:26:00 am

Not only will it be at THEIR house, but I think Saban will have them re-invigorated. I think that if they could embarass us(which I don't think they can), they would, because I think that will be their mindset.........them against the world after last season.

Just my take.

Don't you know there isn't anyway Saban will turn around Alabama in one year?  I mean, he had only one good year.  Sarcasm

AFWarrior83

Quote from: PBD on May 05, 2007, 10:40:04 am

I say Steve Spurrier does it before Saban, what say you?
Hogville member since 2005.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: edt on May 05, 2007, 10:38:35 am
Saban is not a god. Alabama does not have enough talent at this point to beat us. Two or three years from now it will be a different story. Dmac will hang about 175yds on them and Felix may break 100.

With all due respect........check out the facts, do the research, come back and lets talk about this again. Overall, they ARE stronger than us. D-Mac and F-Jo, as great as they are, are not the entire team.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Richard_white on May 05, 2007, 10:40:07 am
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 05, 2007, 10:26:00 am

Just my take.

Don't you know there isn't anyway Saban will turn around Alabama in one year?  I mean, he had only one good year.  Sarcasm

I agree, Saban will have an immediate impact. They may not play for the SEC title, but they will be vastly improved, this year.
Go Hogs Go!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

May 05, 2007, 10:55:34 am #10 Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 11:03:28 am by Question-Man
Ladders: Advantage-Arkansas
Arkansas has seven foot aluminum ladders (six of them in fact) that were brought over by David Lee and have seen extensive field time over Spring practices.  By the end of summer, they will be entrenched into the schemes and show obvious impact.  With all of them being interchangeable, having six guarantees the ability to substitute often to keep them fresh.
Bama has no ladders.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

bsking

Quote from: schweine on May 05, 2007, 10:01:01 am

BUT WE WONT HAVE MITCH!!!!!

bsking

The thing is, our running game is so much more powerful than their entire offense, it creates an off balance.  Positionally they may be better, but our offense is going to be better than theirs.  We will win this game, and im going to pull up this post when we do.  You guys give WAY to much credit to nikc saban, he isnt a God.  35-14 HOGS.

Richard_white

Quote from: bsking on May 05, 2007, 10:59:52 am
The thing is, our running game is so much more powerful than their entire offense, it creates an off balance.  Positionally they may be better, but our offense is going to be better than theirs.  We will win this game, and im going to pull up this post when we do.  You guys give WAY to much credit to nikc saban, he isnt a God.  35-14 HOGS.

Who said Nick Saban is a God?  I just know that Saban is 3x of a better coach than Nutt.  Or at least his resume his 3x better than Nutt.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bsking on May 05, 2007, 10:59:52 am

This isn't about God......it is about facts. Read the original post and then make your own decison. We have O-Line issues, QB issues and Secondary issues. Playing at Bama, revenge definitely on their mind and being added incentive, them having 2 games under their belts before they play us and having a lot of depth......I think this game goes to Bama. Not hoping for it or wishing for it, just trying to be realistic.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

King-Tusk

Alabama wins 31-21.  nutt shows confidence in Alex Tejada and he hits a couple of field goals which give us 6 points that we wouldn't have gotten in years past.  With the kicking woes Bama had last year, they decide to go for it on a key fourth down which results in a touchdown to start the 4th quarter.  With the momentum and the lead, Saban sends his kicker in late in the game to hit a FG and build some confidence in him.

Better gameplanning by Bama secures the victory over the nail biter.
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

grayhawg

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on May 05, 2007, 10:44:20 am
Sabin.

grayhawg

Saban will  :puke:

judgeroyswine

If we game plan correctly, we win this game.

If we play to win it in the fourth quarter, we lose.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

The Boar War

If Arkansas played them at the end of the season or even at the midway point I would give the edge to Bama.  However since we are playing them in the third week of the season I have to give us the advantage.  I don't think Saban will be able to turn it around that early.  Our offense is the same as last year so it should be in place.

bsking

Quote from: The Boar War on May 05, 2007, 11:22:30 am
If Arkansas played them at the end of the season or even at the midway point I would give the edge to Bama.  However since we are playing them in the third week of the season I have to give us the advantage.  I don't think Saban will be able to turn it around that early.  Our offense is the same as last year so it should be in place.

I agree.  Plus, saban may be a great coach, but we do have better talent.  Also, they didnt see wildcat last year, so that may be a bonus for us. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Boar War on May 05, 2007, 11:22:30 am

And IF our offense was the same as last year, I might agree.......but that is not the case. We have no passing threat to speak of, so the D will be crowding the line and we do not have the same dominating O-Line we had last year. Additionally, everyone and their brother and maybe their aunts and uncles, will be keying on D-Mac everytime he touches the ball. F-Jo might actually benefit from this, if he is in the game at the same time, and wind up with more yards than D-Mac. But what was, is no more. This is a different year and defenses will defense us differently. Just get ready for it.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

Ouachihog

Quote from: bsking on May 05, 2007, 10:57:29 am

Ha, true.  Last year he completed 7 to our guys and 3 to their guys. 

In all seriousness, I think we are more talented than Bama, but they will be at a fever pitch for this game.  Casey will probably be good for an INT or two.  Unfortunately, I think bama wins a close one. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

hogman64

Saban will not run it up the middle and play for a field goal with a record missing field goal and extra point kicker waiting to kick it.

Saban will not continuously run it up the middle and get nothing when his receivers are wide open for 8 to 10 yard passes on any play he wants to throw it.

Shula looked like the biggest idiot coach I have seen in 40 years last year in that game...Yes even a bigger idiot than Nutt has ever looked..........Alabama was right to step up and fire him.........

Silver Hog

If we lose to Bama, who will be truly surpised?  Starting the season 0-2 would be pretty ugly.  Season over.

bphi11ips

I say you need a history lesson.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

Alabama had the better team last year in Fayetteville.  Everyone in the stadium knew it.  I've never seen a more sombre crowd leaving a stadium after a big conference victory.  Now, we improved greatly by Auburn, caught fire down the stretch, and finished the year a much better team than Alabama.  We played well enough to win the last three and deserved our final ranking.

However, we have major question marks in our defense.  John Parker Wilson is a solid QB, and his receivers are some of the best in the league.  Joe Kines has a solid crew returning, and he usually has HDN's number.  DMac and Felix will get their's, but this doesn't look like a win for Arkansas.  I don't like the intangibles or facing Bama in Tuscaloosa. 

Bama will go in as a three point favorite and cover the spread.

bphi11ips

Quote from: swisshog on May 05, 2007, 11:55:58 am
If we lose to Bama, who will be truly surpised?  Starting the season 0-2 would be pretty ugly.  Season over.

We aren't going to lose to Troy, and you now it.  Tough game but not a loss.

Hogs-n-Roses

Saban is great at letting his generals do their job. He hired a young man who I have a lot of respect for that played his college ball at Texas. Applewhite is a gamer. He is smart and will help that offense a lot. They have all the pieces for a great offense themselves. It starts with the O line, enough said. Bama 27 hogs 24.

by-the-way

Can't wait til after the BAMA game to hear this about the passing game..    HDN - I know Chuck,- you hate that, theres just some things in the passing game that we're not ready for yet, but Darren had nearly 200yds on the ground and we were so close.

woodhog14

You are delusional.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

woodhog14

Proud Hog

Arkansas pulls out a close one.Mcfadden runs for 100 yards.Jones runs for 75 yards.

hogtusk

Maybe it will take a few years for Saban to get his players at Alabama. HDN and the Hogs beat Saban 2 out of Saban's first 3 years at LSU.
Hogs 35
Tide  28
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

jfb4ever

Speculation is fun, but have we beaten Troy State YET????????????

Ugly Uncle

Are you talking about that no name unheralded Freshman that threw the game winning TD in overtime?  The guy that almost singlehandedly saved HdN's job?  Who are you talking about again?
Retired Radio Host

Coondog Hog

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

bsking

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 05, 2007, 02:47:46 pm

Are you talking about that no name unheralded Freshman that threw the game winning TD in overtime?  The guy that almost singlehandedly saved HdN's job?  Who are you talking about again?

No im talking about the guy who completed 7 passes to our guys and 3 to theirs.

tiber

Quote from: bsking on May 05, 2007, 02:54:25 pm

No im talking about the guy who completed 7 passes to our guys and 3 to theirs WHEN ONE GUY WAS ON A ROUTE.

Helped you out with that.

woodhog14

He still threw the game winning pass...after having a crappy game...I didn't see CD step up and throw a game winning pass against LSU after going 3-13 with 2 ints. going into the last drive down by 5 with 2:12 seconds left...and he finished 3-17 after the last drive...what's your point???

moncrieffan

He is not a god, but they do have the talent.  Maybe you forget we need 3-4 missed chip shot field goals to bet them last year at home.

Ugly Uncle

OH...that guy.  The one that just by signing saved HdN's job.  The guy that had to throw in to double and sometimes triple coverage that day due to the shrinkage of playbook that the "playcaller" could call plays from.  The one that was clutch when it counted.  That guy?
Retired Radio Host

ttownhog

Alabama has the advantage at QB. Although JPW can be inconsistent, and makes big mistakes in big games.
How can you not mention Cleavland or Hillis when talking about our pass game.

O-line will be close. I don't know why people constantly dog our o-line, we will be big and experienced.

Alabama returns many starters from a mediocre team. Arkansas returns starters from a great team. Last year bama had to play one of their best games of the season(besides kicking) to lose to us in overtime. Couple that with the fact that they are changing to a whole new system that may or may not work with the talent they now have and I say Arkansas has a chance. I think it will be hard to win in Tuscaloosa but If Arkansas wants to be a top tier team they have to be able to win in any environment.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 05, 2007, 03:02:34 pm

OH...that guy.  The one that just by signing saved HdN's job.  The guy that had to throw in to double and sometimes triple coverage that day due to the shrinkage of playbook that the "playcaller" could call plays from.  The one that was clutch when it counted.  That guy?

You're probably wasting you breath, Ugly.  I used to think that civil, compelling argument with facts, or at the very least, extremely suggestive incidents would almost always bring a reasoning person around.  I've now come to the conclusion that most Huggers aren't concerned with facts or reasoning, or highly circumstantial evidence because they hug blindly, almost like a cult or religion.

You can't reason or argue with someone who's not operating with reason or reality.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ilovepinebluff

I dont care how much you like Mitch, he did us more harm than help IN THAT GAME.

Back to the Bama game.....6-7 record in 06-07........New Offense.....New Defense......Hog victory.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: ttownhog on May 05, 2007, 03:12:42 pm
Alabama has the advantage at QB. Although JPW can be inconsistent, and makes big mistakes in big games.

O-line will be close. I don't know why people constantly dog our o-line, we will be big and experienced.

Alabama returns many starters from a mediocre team. Arkansas returns starters from a great team. Last year bama had to play one of their best games of the season(besides kicking) to lose to us in overtime. Couple that with the fact that they are changing to a whole new system that may or may not work with the talent they now have and I say Arkansas has a chance. I think it will be hard to win in Tuscaloosa but If Arkansas wants to be a top tier team they have to be able to win in any environment.

Bama was several plays away from having a much better record last year. They let us and Tenn. off the hook for sure. They also had another game they blew if my memory serves me.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Question-Man on May 05, 2007, 03:18:21 pm

You can't reason or argue with someone who's not operating with reason or reality.

Quote of the day.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on May 05, 2007, 03:18:42 pm

I dont care how much you like Mitch, he did us more harm than help IN THAT GAME.

Back to the Bama game.....6-7 record in 06-07........New Offense.....New Defense......Hog victory.

How don't care how much you dislike Mitch.  He came threw in the Clutch...IN THAT GAME!
Retired Radio Host

ttownhog

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on May 05, 2007, 03:21:00 pm
Quote from: ttownhog on May 05, 2007, 03:12:42 pm

Bama was several plays away from having a much better record last year. They let us and Tenn. off the hook for sure. They also had another game they blew if my memory serves me.
Sounds like the hogs year before last and the year before that. IMO a win is a win and a loss is a loss.