Who would you rather have as OC?

Started by Newport Hog, April 22, 2007, 10:05:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would you rather have as OC?

David Lee
Gus Malzhan
Houston Nutt

Newport Hog

Give me Gus anyday of the week. Im not sold on Lee if he was that good why wasnt any other NFL teams interested in him.

granny grunt

I've seen Lee ....was sent packing two different times
I've seen Nutt ... no offence mind at all...Zero
I've seen Gus .... OC of the year his first year in the college rank...     I'm on the " GUS BUS "

Richard_white

Houston Nutt.  The guts to call a play over and over and over takes huge juevos.

BennyBlancofromtheRock

I don't know about you guys but my OC list goes like this.

1. Gus
2. Mitch Mustain
3. God (providing that the almighty has read gus's book)
4. Don Coryell

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: granny grunt on April 22, 2007, 10:31:54 pm
I've seen Lee ....was sent packing two different times
I've seen Nutt ... no offence mind at all...Zero
I've seen Gus .... OC of the year his first year in the college rank...     I'm on the " GUS BUS "

Now that's a quality post my friends.

HognNam

You guys kill me.  Pick an unproven OC(on college level) over a veteran OC.  I got to go with alittle common sense on this one.

Newport Hog

David Lee wasnt an Off Cooridnator he was QB coach at Dallas and at UA so he is the unproven one really at calling plays.

HognNam

I understand....still makes common sense to go with a proven vet.

granny grunt

Quote from: HognNam on April 22, 2007, 10:42:36 pm
You guys kill me.  Pick an unproven OC(on college level) over a veteran OC.  I got to go with alittle common sense on this one.
I thought D. Lee was a head coach for a while..What was his record?.........

Dugann

lee laughable....yes sir mr nutt i'll get right on that smoke draw play!  what you want next 3 and 15 pass 1 WR set to Monk???
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

Porkahontas

Quote from: HognNam on April 22, 2007, 10:42:36 pm

Who would you rather have?

Alex Rodriguez or Julio Franco?

You guys kill me taking a younger player over a veteran.

I've read stupid #%*@ over the years but your argument ranks right there with the worst.

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: Richard_white on April 22, 2007, 10:34:33 pm
Houston Nutt.  The guts to call a play over and over and over takes huge juevos.

thats funny. I'd say HDN too, b/c he calls conservative plays not too lose. He's like the baseball centerfielder who with 2 outs in the 9th of a 1 run game, and a shallow fly ball hit his way, he can charge it, dive , and try to catch it, but run the risk of it going behind him ,thus the runner gets in scoring posistion. or he could pull up don't worry about catching it, just keep it in front of him. if its a 1 run game thats the smartest thing to do and thats how HDN coaches
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

jmark

Gus was the perfect match for Arkansas. 

From Arkansas.  High School coaching legend.  High School recruiting connections.  An offensive style players liked.

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Newport Hog

How is Gus unproven he imprints were on the running game, they did run the ball at Springdale folks. 

jfb4ever

I can't answer until someone tells me if we are playing an SEC Team, or a bunch of LADDERS !

BennyBlancofromtheRock

I know who I'd pick if we were playing catholic high

TorsinAHog

Quote from: Richard_white on April 22, 2007, 10:34:33 pm

Ok now thats funny.  Reminds me of the South Carolina game a few years ago in fayetteville when we ran it to the right side 8 times in a row
To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

DSMSHog

The real Hogules

Quote from: HognNam on April 22, 2007, 10:46:11 pm

Lee's a proven vet alright, he's proven TWICE at Arkansas that he has NO business being our OC!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

USAF Hog

Was this put in for a giggle?

I'd rather have Barry Lunney Jr. How 'bout them apples?

taoteching

April 23, 2007, 09:45:34 am #20 Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:19:29 am by taoteching
These are the facts:

Orville Henry was furious with the hiring of Houston Nutt.

Houston Nutt has proven over and over he is not a good offensive coach.  Houston Nutt's loosing seasons of 04 and 06 clearly shows he is a poor coach.

David Lee had a terrible record at UTEP.  David Lee went 1-11 and 1-11 the last two years he was there.  It is my understanding he was fired in the middle of the 1993 season.

Gus Malzahn has a been a winner at every school he has been a head coach.  He is a great offensive coach.

USAF Hog

Quote from: taoteching on April 23, 2007, 09:45:34 am
These are the facts:

Houston Nutt has proven over and over he is not a good offensive coach.  Houston Nutt's had loosing seasons of 04 and 06 clearly shows he is a poor coach.

David Lee had a terrible record at UTEP.  David Lee went 1-11 and 1-11 the last two years he was there.  It is my understanding he was fired in the middle of the 1993 season.

Gus Malzahn has a been a winner at every school he has been a head coach.  He is a great offensive coach.

I reserve comment on Gus. He coached a high school team to the state championships. Guess what? A head coach does that every year, in all 50 states. In the past 3 years 150 people have done that.

BennyBlancofromtheRock

Quote from: USAF Hog on April 23, 2007, 09:55:22 am
These are the facts:

Houston Nutt has proven over and over he is not a good offensive coach.  Houston Nutt's had loosing seasons of 04 and 06 clearly shows he is a poor coach.

I reserve comment on Gus. He coached a high school team to the state championships. Guess what? A head coach does that every year, in all 50 states. In the past 3 years 150 people have done that.

Before somebody else can throw this in your face like it proves something I'll just tell you that Gus also coached Shilo to a State championship.

H&D

Quote from: HognNam on April 22, 2007, 10:46:11 pm

The only thing D. Lee has proven is that he can't get fired alot (oh I'm sorry, move positions and explore other opportunities).
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

Silver Hog

These are the facts:

Probably less if you count repeat performances.

311Hog

LOL sorry but the "proven vet" only holds true if what has been proven is a GOOD THING. Lee has proven he sucks bad enough to get canned repeatedly. Give me a rookie with potential over an old loser.

ceegar

I'll take a wait and see on this one.  I know for sure I dont want Nutty.  But DLee has never called the plays at UA so I dont know really what to expect w/ him.  Gus has only had one year in college so the jury is still out on him too.  Lets see what happens this year to both guys then lets run another poll.
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

311Hog

Quote from: ceegar on April 23, 2007, 01:27:37 pm
I'll take a wait and see on this one.  I know for sure I dont want Nutty.  But DLee has never called the plays at UA so I dont know really what to expect w/ him.  Gus has only had one year in college so the jury is still out on him too.  Lets see what happens this year to both guys then lets run another poll.

How about David Lee's record at UTEP?

atlheff

I thought David Lee was merely a "consultant" with the cowboys...was he actually on their coaching staff?

ceegar

Quote from: 311Hog on April 23, 2007, 01:28:57 pm

I believe that was like 5 years ago.  Gus was a barely known HS coach at that time.  Id say both have improved since then.  Besides I didnt see anyone other than UA giving Gus a shot in college.  I actually like Gus and hope he does well but Im just sayin.......
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

porkurina

311Hog

Quote from: ceegar on April 23, 2007, 01:35:37 pm
Quote from: 311Hog on April 23, 2007, 01:28:57 pm

I believe that was like 5 years ago.  Gus was a barely known HS coach at that time.  Id say both have improved since then.  Besides I didnt see anyone other than UA giving Gus a shot in college.  I actually like Gus and hope he does well but Im just sayin.......

We have no idea if Gus had offers from other schools to come coach. We do however know that Lee has been a Head Coach at a D1 school and how did that turn out?

GBPackerFan

These are the facts:

Houston Nutt has proven over and over he is not a good offensive coach.  Houston Nutt's loosing seasons of 04 and 06 clearly shows he is a poor coach.

I think that you omitted the fact that "every school Malzahn he has been a head coach" was in HIGH SCHOOL.  And he walked into a situation last year that anyone could have had a winning season at the U of A with DMac, Felix, and our OLine.  I am not saying that he is a bad coach or anything, but I am not sold on his coaching abilities yet in college b/c he hasn't done anything in college yet.

311Hog

Quote from: GBPackerFan on April 23, 2007, 02:05:46 pm
These are the facts:

I think that you omitted the fact that "every school Malzahn he has been a head coach" was in HIGH SCHOOL.  And he walked into a situation last year that anyone could have had a winning season at the U of A with DMac, Felix, and our OLine.  I am not saying that he is a bad coach or anything, but I am not sold on his coaching abilities yet in college b/c he hasn't done anything in college yet.

Umm last time i checked that same O-line, Dmac, and Felix were all Razorbacks the season before Gus became the OC, and what was the hogs record then?

StoernerJonesFan

Here's my list:
1) Gus Mal-a-zahn
2) Nathan Dick
3) A rock
98) A piece of paper with the words 'OC' written on it
99) Nothing or No one
100) HDN

razornole

Quote from: DSMSHog on April 23, 2007, 07:05:56 am
Ridiculous poll for this site.

just depends which way the mods are leaning today
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

dockhog

This shouldnt even be argued over. everybody knows Malzahn is the real deal. He came in in 1 year, in the toughest conference inthe nation, and won 10 games, should have been 13, but Nutt wouldnt let that happen. The man had a national title hope back in Arkansas. Thats the first time in forever.
Poppa Dock

BorderPatrol

These are the facts:

Actually, when you consider there were 6 different coaches in Arkansas alone last year that won State Championships, there were a lot more than 150 in the last three years.

Don't get me wrong folks, I will be the first to tell you that HDN needed to be gone a long time ago....but Gus was the OCOY last year because of the improvement over HDN the year before. Let's give Lee a chance (again) before throwing him under the bus (no pun).....

Also, Lee-Bashers, how do you explain his success with Tony Romo?

bp

311Hog

Quote from: BorderPatrol on April 23, 2007, 02:47:07 pm
These are the facts:

Actually, when you consider there were 6 different coaches in Arkansas alone last year that won State Championships, there were a lot more than 150 in the last three years.

Don't get me wrong folks, I will be the first to tell you that HDN needed to be gone a long time ago....but Gus was the OCOY last year because of the improvement over HDN the year before. Let's give Lee a chance (again) before throwing him under the bus (no pun).....

Also, Lee-Bashers, how do you explain his success with Tony Romo?

bp

Seriously i watched Tony Romo last year he wasnt all that great. I mean what they won a couple more games then they should hav ewhat? it wasnt earth shattering some of you act as if Tony Romo went from Ryan Leaf to Joe Montana over nite because of David Lee.

Big_D

Calling it right now...Gus Malzahn WILL be a College head coach in 4 years or less... mark it down.

Does that tell you who I would pick...

badbeagle

make a change at HC and worry about the OC situation later.

HogsSon46

These are the facts:

GUS did walk into a nice package

BigDave70

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

GBPackerFan

April 23, 2007, 03:06:43 pm #43 Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 03:08:32 pm by GBPackerFan
Quote from: 311Hog on April 23, 2007, 02:13:11 pm
These are the facts:

Umm last time i checked that same O-line, Dmac, and Felix were all Razorbacks the season before Gus became the OC, and what was the hogs record then?
Umm...last time I checked...having played in prior seasons, especially RBs and OLinemen, really helps as the years progress.  Don't you probably use the statement, for when someone points out Mustains mediocre-at-best stats, that he was only a freshman? 

mword

311Hog

Quote from: GBPackerFan on April 23, 2007, 03:06:43 pm
Quote from: 311Hog on April 23, 2007, 02:13:11 pm
These are the facts:

Umm...last time I checked...having played in prior seasons, especially RBs and OLinemen, really helps as the years progress.  Don't you probably use the statement, for when someone points out Mustains mediocre-at-best stats, that he was only a freshman? 

Yeah typically it is safe to assume you "get better" the more years you play, but honestly Dmac was just as good his freshman year as he was his soph. year. Oline i dunno or Felix but Dmac most assuredly.  The point is the same 4-6 to 10-4 with basically the same team, notable exceptions being Mitch, other freshman and Gus.  I am not saying they are sole responsible either not hardly, but it does beg the question.

taoteching

This poll shows that 75% or three out every four people would prefer Gus Malzahn over Houston Nutt and David Lee combinded.  

Why?

Why would Houston Nutt run Gus Malzahn off?  Did he do something wrong?  I don't understand.

311Hog

Quote from: taoteching on April 23, 2007, 03:11:22 pm
This poll shows that 75% or three out every four people would prefer Gus Malzahn over Houston Nutt and David Lee combinded.  

Why?

Why would Houston Nutt run Gus Malzahn off?  Did he do something wrong?  I don't understand.

Yes he did something wrong, he (Gus) actually knew WTH he was doing with regards to football, and wasnt to busy with "personal agendas" and actually tried to devote his energy into the team winning. We cant have that here at little ole Arkansas.

hogfan47

Quote from: Newport Hog on April 22, 2007, 10:05:37 pm
Give me Gus anyday of the week. Im not sold on Lee if he was that good why wasnt any other NFL teams interested in him.

last time i looked no NFL team had a interst in Gus .
so i guess he is no good huh

C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

GBPackerFan

Quote from: taoteching on April 23, 2007, 03:11:22 pm

Why?

Seriously though, would you expect any different of a result from this board?