Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nick Saban Under Fire

Started by hawgbawb, April 15, 2007, 08:11:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgbawb

Saban is already on the defensive at BAMA because he has closed off media access to players and asst. coaches.  He has also held some closed scrimmages and limited media access to practice.

Sound familiar?
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

PulledPork

Quote from: hawgbawb on April 15, 2007, 08:11:14 am
Saban is already on the defensive at BAMA because he has closed off media access to players and asst. coaches.  He has also held some closed scrimmages and limited media access to practice.

Sound familiar?
to what?  are you trying to compare Nutty to Whoreban?  that would be a further stretch than the Eurotunnel

Pulled out...

hawgbawb

Quote from: hogapalooza on April 15, 2007, 08:15:57 am
He has Won, will Win and is a better coach.   NO comparison.
Saban has been reported to have a considerable respect for Nutt. But it's nice to be able to dismiss something with such ease, huh?
I post, therefor I am.

PulledPork

Quote from: hawgbawb on April 15, 2007, 08:32:40 am
He has Won, will Win and is a better coach.   NO comparison.
Saban has been reported to have a considerable respect for Nutt. But it's nice to be able to dismiss something with such ease, huh?
cause they are both liars and share the same agent......next?

Pulled out...

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Sound familiar?

To compare Saban and Nutt is absolutely insane.

Won a National Championship: Advantage Saban

Won a SEC Championship (2, actually): Advantage Saban

Head Coach in the NFL: Advantage Saban

Never had a losing season as a head coach in college: Advantage Saban

Only one losing season as a head coach at any level: Advantage Saban

Been the highest paid coach in college football (2 separate occasions): Advantage Saban

Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

hawgbawb

Lousianna's number of 4 and 5-star recruits versus Arkansas: (big) Advantage Saban
LSU's football tradition: Advantage Saban
NCAA probation: Disadvantage Nutt
I post, therefor I am.

dmac_iz_kin

April 15, 2007, 09:10:48 am #6 Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:19:37 am by dmac_iz_kin
Quote from: rampage72501 on April 15, 2007, 08:57:59 am

Sound familiar?

Been the highest paid coach in college football (2 separate occasions): Advantage Saban

Your stats do not take into consideration a few things. Louisana produces about 100 d1 athletes per year. arkansas produces about 10. Nutt has faced Saban 4 times head to head. Nutt has won 2 of those meetings, and lost another by 3points in baton Rouge. Just based on the geographic logistics where both coaches have coached I'd say Nutt is probabally the better overall coach. Saban had a record at michigan state of 35-24-1, including nonconferece games in his 5 years. compare that to Nutts first 5 at a stronger conference.
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

carlyle513

"dmac_iz_kin" is that you Rick Schaefer ?  :D

PulledPork

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 15, 2007, 09:10:48 am

Sound familiar?

Your stats do not take into consideration a few things. Louisana produces about 100 d1 athletes per year. arkansas produces about 10. Nutt has faced Saban 4 times head to head. Nutt has won 2 of those meetings, and lost another by 3points in baton Rouge. Just based on the geographic logistics where both coaches have coached I'd say Nutt is probabally the better overall coach. Saban had a record at michigan state of 35-24-1, including nonconferece games in his 5 years. compare that to Nutts first 5 at a stronger conference.
and what you didn't take into acct is how many of the d1 prospects stay in the state to play for LSwho?  of the 10 we produce, 7-8 want to leave the state because of who is the hc of the state uni......next!

Pulled out...

dmac_iz_kin

April 15, 2007, 09:30:10 am #9 Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:34:54 am by dmac_iz_kin
i just did the math, hdn is 39 - 20 in his first 5 years at AR. many would argue the SEC was a better conference during this time than the big10. I think its foolish to believe Saban is anywhere near as good of a coach as HDN.
"it was a called play, and I called it. I called alot of good plays today didn't I chuck?!"

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

National Championships: Saban 1  Nutt 0

SEC Championships: Saban 2  Nutt 0

NFL teams willing to hire: Saban 1  Nutt 0

College programs willing to pay enough to make the coach the highest paid coach in the country: Saban 2  Nutt 0

If Houston Nutt is a better coach than Saban, why didn't the Miami Dolphins hire him?  Why didn't Alabama hire him for less than what they are paying Saban?  It makes no logical sense that Alabama would pay more for a coach who is not as good as your boy Nutt.

You can talk about Division I prospects all day, but the bottom line is Saban has consistently gotten it done where it counts - on the scoreboard.  When Nutt wins a National Championship, we can come back to this discussion and I will give credit where it is due.  If I were you, I wouldn't be holding my breath - I know I won't be!
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

tropical soooiee

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 15, 2007, 09:30:10 am
i just did the math, hdn is 39 - 20 in his first 5 years at AR. many would argue the SEC was a better conference during this time than the big10. I think its foolish to believe Saban is anywhere near as good of a coach as HDN.

I just did the math too. Houston is 37-26 in his LAST 5 years at AR (19-17 in his LAST 3 a.k.a post Matt Jones).

forrest city joe

Quote from: hawgbawb on April 15, 2007, 09:03:50 am
Lousianna's number of 4 and 5-star recruits versus Arkansas: (big) Advantage Saban
Excuses.Advantage hawgbawb.

mword

I don't think it will matter with Saban. He's a winner, which can't be said for Nutt.

dmac_iz_kin

April 15, 2007, 09:46:52 am #14 Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:49:19 am by dmac_iz_kin
Quote from: rampage72501 on April 15, 2007, 09:38:15 am

College programs willing to pay enough to make the coach the highest paid coach in the country: Saban 2  Nutt 0

If Houston Nutt is a better coach than Saban, why didn't the Miami Dolphins hire him?  Why didn't Alabama hire him for less than what they are paying Saban?  It makes no logical sense that Alabama would pay more for a coach who is not as good as your boy Nutt.

You can talk about Division I prospects all day, but the bottom line is Saban has consistently gotten it done where it counts - on the scoreboard.  When Nutt wins a National Championship, we can come back to this discussion and I will give credit where it is due.  If I were you, I wouldn't be holding my breath - I know I won't be!

Thats just the thing bro. Saban won 1 NC and 2 SEC's. ok, AR has been to the SEC game at least twice under HDN, so they were in posistion to win it. They had themselves in posistion to win an NC this year if Reggie fish hadn't of dropped that punt in the frickin endzone.  I'll put it to you this way. When saban was lobbying for LSU to look at HDN as his replacement, if you'd put HDN at LSU with those instate athletes they have every year, HDN would perhaps have 2 or 3 NC's racked up right now. Just b/c HDN has not won an NC here or SECc and Saban has at LSU does not in anyway mean Saban is a better coach. based on the athletes in each state you are comparing apples to oranges.

also the NFL arguement does not mean anything. He got that job b/c he won an NC, and he won it at one of the easiest schools in the last decade to actually win one.

RazorRaider

Honestly I don't care what Saban does.

He will own Nutt's ass starting this season.
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

BigHog396

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 15, 2007, 09:46:52 am

Thats just the thing bro. Saban won 1 NC and 2 SEC's. ok, AR has been to the SEC game at least twice under HDN, so they were in posistion to win it. They had themselves in posistion to win an NC this year if Reggie fish hadn't of dropped that punt in the frickin endzone.  I'll put it to you this way. When saban was lobbying for LSU to look at HDN as his replacement, if you'd put HDN at LSU with those instate athletes they have every year, HDN would perhaps have 2 or 3 NC's racked up right now. Just b/c HDN has not won an NC here or SECc and Saban has at LSU does not in anyway mean Saban is a better coach. based on the athletes in each state you are comparing apples to oranges.

also the NFL arguement does not mean anything. He got that job b/c he won an NC, and he won it at one of the easiest schools in the last decade to actually win one.
Why don't you compare LSU pre-Saban, and since Saban.  LSU SUCKED before he showed up and turned their program around.  In our case, we were LOADED with talent when DMW arrived, and he was able to ride that momentum for a couple of years.  After that he had Matt Jones, who single-handedly saved his job for 4 years.  Now he has DMac, who likely saved his job the last two years.

If DMW hadn't had TWO of the single most AMAZING athletes to ever step on a football field grow up in our back yard, he wouldn't be here now.  Fortunately for him, both of those guys were born and raised Hogs, otherwise they would have gone elsewhere for greener pastures.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: RazorRaider on April 15, 2007, 09:47:59 am
Honestly I don't care what Saban does.  He will own Nutt's ass starting this season.

There's the correct answer...

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

RazorRaider

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on April 15, 2007, 09:55:49 am
Honestly I don't care what Saban does.  He will own Nutt's ass starting this season.

There's the correct answer...

It is usually the simplest answers that hold the most truth. :)
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

cubman

I am so sick of hearing this excuse.Please show me where HDN recruiting classes during the "cloud" ranked any worse than they did before or after. This is a pitiful excuse because the numbers contradict it.

Hogberry Snortcake

No love for either of them, but are you really comparing Nutt to Saban?  Seriously?  Sober?  Nutt's not nearly as bad as some would like to think, but that's just ridiculous. 

Choctaw Hog

Sound familiar?

I would imagine Saban closes practices because he is actually working on offensive sets.  Houston closes practices to hide his ineptness.

Big_D

Quote from: hawgbawb on April 15, 2007, 08:32:40 am

It's also true that Nick Saban was reported to have won a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Is that true?

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: BigHog396 on April 15, 2007, 09:55:26 am

Why don't you compare LSU pre-Saban, and since Saban.  LSU SUCKED before he showed up and turned their program around.  In our case, we were LOADED with talent when DMW arrived, and he was able to ride that momentum for a couple of years.  After that he had Matt Jones, who single-handedly saved his job for 4 years.  Now he has DMac, who likely saved his job the last two years.

If DMW hadn't had TWO of the single most AMAZING athletes to ever step on a football field grow up in our back yard, he wouldn't be here now.  Fortunately for him, both of those guys were born and raised Hogs, otherwise they would have gone elsewhere for greener pastures.

You are right about some of the superstar players nutt has had. however you can not take them out of the equation. of course they've made HDN look a little better and of course they always wanted to be razorbacks but its that way at every other program.you cant' say "well take these guys out and hdn is nothing" the reason is ,b/c they were here, hdn recruited them put them on the field and let those play makers make plays. You can't punish hdn for having those athletes raised in his back yard.

BOTTOM LINE IS; HDN IS A BETTER HEAD FOOTBALL COACH THAT NICK SABAN. CASE CLOSED.

HeathWimp

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 15, 2007, 09:44:01 am
Excuses.Advantage hawgbawb.

Funny joke:  Advantage Forrest City Joe.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

brooks74

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 15, 2007, 10:45:21 am

You are right about some of the superstar players nutt has had. however you can not take them out of the equation. of course they've made HDN look a little better and of course they always wanted to be razorbacks but its that way at every other program.you cant' say "well take these guys out and hdn is nothing" the reason is ,b/c they were here, hdn recruited them put them on the field and let those play makers make plays. You can't punish hdn for having those athletes raised in his back yard.

BOTTOM LINE IS; HDN IS A BETTER HEAD FOOTBALL COACH THAT NICK SABAN. CASE CLOSED.

Please tell me this is sarcasm!  There is no comparison between Nutt and Saban.  You put Saban at Arkansas, and I promise you we are a  top 5 program in 3 years.  Nutt has been here 9 years and we aren't a consistent top 25 team.

HognotinMemphis

Sound familiar?
So what? Saban also won an NC before leaving the college ranks. If Nutt won an NC at Ark then closed practice the next year, no one would even mention it.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

bsking

OH MY GOD!

FIRE NICK SABAN!

FIRE NICK SABAN!

RazrHog_TX

Sound familiar?

I'm not surprised at the move at all.  Why subject your fledgling offense and defense to the critiques of every sportscaster ready to criticize you?  It's early in the development of his team and makes perfect sense that he would want to keep the young men focused.

The other reason I'm sure he closed it is the type of mad, speculative and rumor filled feeding frenzy he sees at other schools in the SEC.  I can see why a coach would want to keep his players and his staff away from that kind of mess.

Hawgballz

It is one of the basic foundations of Hogville that comparsions can only be used when they benefit the darkside.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: brooks74 on April 15, 2007, 10:56:04 am
Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 15, 2007, 10:45:21 am

Please tell me this is sarcasm!  There is no comparison between Nutt and Saban.  You put Saban at Arkansas, and I promise you we are a  top 5 program in 3 years.  Nutt has been here 9 years and we aren't a consistent top 25 team.

well Brooks, saban won't be at arkansas though so thats a conclusion you can't draw. I think if you'll go back up and read my posts on this topic you will find a logical reason for why HDN is the better coach.  You just don't understand that Saban was average until his last year at MSU, just a little above 500. and louisana as a state is a hotbed of talent. for hdn to be 2-2 against saban at lsu and one of those losses by a field goal at one of the toughest stadiums in the nation, you have to say Nutt is overall better up to this point. as schaffer would say "no doubt about it"

brooks74

I don't even think Schaeffer would agree on you with that point.   Saban turned around a program at MSU coming off major violations and probation, and has had CONSISTENT success anywhere he has been.  There is not a person in America that isn't biased toward Arkansas, or against Saban that would say that Nutt is even close to as good of a football coach as Saban. 

southeasthog

He will own Nutt's ass in Nutt's final season.
Fixed it for ya Raider. ;)

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: southeasthog on April 15, 2007, 11:31:36 am

He will own Nutt's ass in Nutt's final season.
Fixed it for ya Raider. ;)

....and I'm sure he won't mind. ;)
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

HAM ELLIOT

QuoteJust based on the geographic logistics where both coaches have coached I'd say Nutt is probabally the better overall coach. Saban had a record at michigan state of 35-24-1, including nonconferece games in his 5 years. compare that to Nutts first 5 at a stronger conference.

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahhahahahhahah

My side hurts Im laughing so hard!

Big_D

Sound familiar?

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 15, 2007, 09:30:10 am

I have one suggestion for you , go the the yellow pages and  look under the heading Psychiatric Care. You need it bad.

bamalee

THis is calling bs on the saban under fire. We Bama fans love what he is doing here since he has been here period. THe media wants info that he is not willing to give. I no of no Bama fans complaining at all about Saban.

PulledPork

you bring up the "one loss" point, don't forget the one win by a hail mary.  does dmac know you are smokin crack, he needs to distance himself from any family that can put that much pipe in his system!

Pulled out....

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Here's the thing, bro, you don't get it.  If Nutt is a better coach than Nick Saban, why has he not won a National Championship?  You can get on here and bark all you want about Fish's dropped punt and being in the position to win the SEC on a couple of occasions, but the fact remains that Nutt's teams have won neither.  Period, end of story.

Saban lobbied for Nutt to get the LSU job as a favor to his agent, who also happens to be Nutt's agent.  What else would anyone have expected Saban to say?  You want to look at someone who's damn good at what they do, look no further than Sexton.  Talk about doing more with less - that guy is good enough to help a mediocre coach keep getting raises and contract extensions.

And the NFL argument does hold water.  National Championship or not, Wayne Huizenga thought enough of Saban to trust his team to him.  Why not Nutt?  After all, if Nutt is a better coach, wouldn't common sense say to hire Nutt instead?  Same holds true for Alabama.  Why pay an inferior coach (according to you) more money when you could have the better coach (again, according to you) for less money?

If you honestly believe that Nutt would have racked up 2 or 3 National Championships at LSU you have to be the most delusional person on this board.

Razorcd424

Sound familiar?

What about his last five seasons?

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: rampage72501 on April 15, 2007, 02:07:07 pm

Here's the thing, bro, you don't get it.  If Nutt is a better coach than Nick Saban, why has he not won a National Championship?  You can get on here and bark all you want about Fish's dropped punt and being in the position to win the SEC on a couple of occasions, but the fact remains that Nutt's teams have won neither.  Period, end of story.

Saban lobbied for Nutt to get the LSU job as a favor to his agent, who also happens to be Nutt's agent.  What else would anyone have expected Saban to say?  You want to look at someone who's damn good at what they do, look no further than Sexton.  Talk about doing more with less - that guy is good enough to help a mediocre coach keep getting raises and contract extensions.

And the NFL argument does hold water.  National Championship or not, Wayne Huizenga thought enough of Saban to trust his team to him.  Why not Nutt?  After all, if Nutt is a better coach, wouldn't common sense say to hire Nutt instead?  Same holds true for Alabama.  Why pay an inferior coach (according to you) more money when you could have the better coach (again, according to you) for less money?

If you honestly believe that Nutt would have racked up 2 or 3 National Championships at LSU you have to be the most delusional person on this board.

my friend, I do not think you have any idea the ratio of quality d1 football players come out of Louisana each year compared to Arkansas.  I know that we will never know what would have happend had Nutt been at Lsu all this time and Saban was here. But i would put money on the fact that saban would not be 2-2 against Nutt. I bet he'd be 1-3 or probablly 0-4. the thing is you are comparing apples and oranges when you compare these 2 coaches b/c Sabin is a journeyman who left MSU in good shape, and LSU, which alot of coaches out there could have done, and then was offered by a struggling NFL team. pro teams hire successful NCAA coaches to sell tickets. HDN is just a Loyal Arkansas boy doing the best he can with what he's got.  Nutt could do every bit as good, if not better at a place like Miami Dolphins, but he may not get the chance b/c he's coaching in a location where he probabally won't have a chance to win an NC, but dang he got close

Mr. Hog

Go Hogs Go!

Mr. Hog

I'd say your wrong and i don't care who your cousin is !
Go Hogs Go!

PulledPork

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 15, 2007, 02:20:41 pm

my friend, I do not think you have any idea the ratio of quality d1 football players come out of Louisana each year compared to Arkansas.  I know that we will never know what would have happend had Nutt been at Lsu all this time and Saban was here. But i would put money on the fact that saban would not be 2-2 against Nutt. I bet he'd be 1-3 or probablly 0-4. the thing is you are comparing apples and oranges when you compare these 2 coaches b/c Sabin is a journeyman who left MSU in good shape, and LSU, which alot of coaches out there could have done, and then was offered by a struggling NFL team. pro teams hire successful NCAA coaches to sell tickets. HDN is just a Loyal Arkansas boy doing the best he can with what he's got.  Nutt could do every bit as good, if not better at a place like Miami Dolphins, but he may not get the chance b/c he's coaching in a location where he probabally won't have a chance to win an NC, but dang he got close
well shucks!  if that's good enough for you, what am I complaining about?  such a tool.....homer.....sycophant....blacksheep, whatever fits you best.

Pulled out...

pigmania

Sound familiar?

#1 - Dale can't recruit Arkansas, just look at this past recruiting results with the top Arkansas recruits. Arkansas produces 10 D-1 prospects, Dale gets 4 or 5 tops.
#2 - If Dale is the better overall coach, then why is it that Bama didn't pick up your above argument and come after him when they had an opening? If Saban is worth $4 million, Dale would have to be worth $4.5 million.

dmac_iz_kin

Quote from: PulledPork on April 15, 2007, 02:26:07 pm

well shucks!  if that's good enough for you, what am I complaining about?  such a tool.....homer.....sycophant....blacksheep, whatever fits you best.

Pulled out...

thanks , glad i was able to make my point. next

vol_in_ar

He better win, those bama fans are used to a lot of media coverage for their Tide..

If Saban struggles, and has pissed off the media..  This Nutt mess will look like a marshmallow roast vs an Aggie bonfire.

PulledPork

Quote from: dmac_iz_kin on April 15, 2007, 02:29:25 pm
Quote from: PulledPork on April 15, 2007, 02:26:07 pm

Pulled out...

thanks , glad i was able to make my point. next
and it would be a good one, if it had any validity....or you quit poking yourself in the eye with it.  NEXT!

Pulled out...

bamalee

The fact was LSU sucked big time before saban got there. Is there talent in the state you dam right. Just remember in todays age of college football you can only sign 25 max a year period and most times you can not sign that many because of the 85 schollie limit. So i think there is plenty of talent out there to pick from. The problems is you have to pick the right players for your system and develop players when they get on campus. Most bama fans think if the razorbacks had anykind of passing game they would be a much better team. We also think razorback players are strong, physical, and tough and wish our players were more like them. I will say one thing when anybody says the lost of schollie's hurt CHN last couple of seasons I laugh out loud. Bama lost 22 schollies over 3 years now that will kill you and rumors for 2 years before that.  We love how Saban handles the media, considering most of the media does not like bama in this state at all. We could care less about if we can see practice or if asst. coaches talk to the press or players we all know what going on.  

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

Are you getting your talking points from Frank Broyles or Rick Schaffer?  Golly gee, we're just little ole Arkansas and can't do any better.  We should kiss the ground that Houston Nutt walks on and just be thankful that he continues to bless us by remaining the coach here.   :puke:

I will ask again, if Nutt is such a good coach, why aren't other colleges or the NFL teams beating down his door to offer him a job?  Why did Alabama hire Saban instead of Nutt?  Most of the people who have looked at the infamous phone records believe Nutt, at the very least, threw his hat into the ring for both the Miami and NC State jobs.  Why weren't either of those schools willing to give him a chance?  After all, he was the SEC coach of the year and coming off a 10 win season.  Just think, a couple of bounces the other way, and the University of Arkansas could have been playing for the National Championship.  Oh wait, just like a couple of bounces the other way and the University of Arkansas could have had 2 of those 10 wins taken away.

Your statement about "coaching in a location where he probabally (sic) won't have a chance to win a NC" is the epitome of what is wrong with many of our fans.  There is absolutely no reason the University of Arkansas can't have a program capable of competing for National Championships.  To expect or accept less is a waste of time.  Nutt has demonstrated time and time again he is incapable of getting it done, and the day he is no longer here can't come soon enough.