Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All thoughts on Billy Gillispie and his hiring at Kentucky here only please!

Started by RD, April 05, 2007, 11:17:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkiebrian

Quote from: Mister_BS on April 06, 2007, 07:58:47 am
If Tubby didn't leave Kentucky, Frank would've had Gillispie and all would be well in Hogland ...

:razorback:
Lets hope an announcement is made today.  Cross your fingers it's Cal and all will be well in Hogland.

Calipari is much more proven than Gillispie.  I'm surprised KY didn't go after him.

hoggystyle78

I agree, he will not last as long as Tubby did at UK, the expectations of that fanbase are wayyy to high for little Billyboy. Enjoy it while you can you money grubbing a-hole, you'll be begging Arkansas for a job in 3 years!
Quote from: donewithdale on April 06, 2007, 07:48:52 am
I still can't believe all of this hype for a coach with 5 years D1 experience and who hasn't won anything of importance.  UK did get a BCS conf coach.  But I think the rest of the SEC should be relieved.  He's not a Pitino.  They won't go back to dominating.

dsewell70

It could be because they've already gone through NCAA sanctions once themselves and don't want to risk Calipari bringing more down on them at some point in the future

Mister_BS

With Cal the Snake's past indiscretions at UMass, and Ky's problems before Pitino, I'm not sure they could've afforded to take him ... they needed a clean guy and Cal is hardly that

Tomhog™

I was thinking this same thing.  It now appears that when UK opened up, he backed off from Arkansas.  Too bad for us.  Maybe it'll wind up better in the end by pulling an Alabama and offering upwards of $3 MM to some high-profile coach...hmmmmmmmm

Mister_BS

Quote from: dsewell70 on April 06, 2007, 08:03:17 am
It could be because they've already gone through NCAA sanctions once themselves and don't want to risk Calipari bringing more down on them at some point in the future
you beat me to it... and just perception, in the NCAA's eyes, I think

it's like if you've been convicted, you're not supposed to hang out with a certain element

judgeroyswine

Quote from: Mister_BS on April 06, 2007, 07:58:47 am
If Tubby didn't leave Kentucky, Frank would've had Gillispie and all would be well in Hogland ...

:razorback:

I actually think that illustrates the problem.  Everyone seemed to be working the system to perfection, except Frank.  We are still on the outside, watching this Merry-Go-Round.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

Ouachihog

Wait a minute, all the aggies said he was signing an extension and that he LOOVVEESS TAMU??!?

I thought he was now a "lifer" at TAMU???

Oh yeah, their fans were just as delusional as we were.  Even though it hurts to admit it, BCG came out smelling like a rose and got exactly what he wanted by turning us down....a better job. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

Junkyard Hog

DirtBikeHawg

I hope their coaching search is as screwed up as ours.  Of course that might be hard to beat.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the end safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out shouting, "holy sh*t...what a ride!"

boilerhog

Lesson for Frank in his next life as an athletic director

--Never fire your basketball coach when the Kentucky job is open

Lokirain

Quote from: PennHOG on April 06, 2007, 07:23:13 am
I'm making this official.

I NOW HATE KENTUCKY!! 

HATE RANKING

1.  LSU in everything
2.  Kentucky basketball
3.  Dallas Cowboys
4.  Texas Longhorns

Is Kentucky on the schedule next year?

Yes, and that list is Gold!

major_hog_fan

I hope we beat Kentucky when we play them sometime.  This will certainly renew the rivalry between Arkansas and Kentucky.

A Boy Named Sooey

I'm happy for them both.  They were made for each other.  I hope they live miserably ever after.

ProfusionalHog

This is great!  We needed something to fire us up against the Wildcats!  A renewed rivalry!

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:        :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
                            :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:         :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Puerco Diablo

Everyone but the Ags could see that he was already out the door. 

I got to hand it to BCG.  He played his cards well.

WP razorback

3kgthog

Further proof that Frank Broyles and his "sources" got played like a fiddle.

Squealsonwheels

Quote from: RD on April 05, 2007, 11:17:24 pm
Not meanting to pour salt in wounds fellas..
Couldn't have happened to a more deserving group than those fa@@ies...They thought bg would stay there forever in gomerville   LOLOLOLOL

revolution

Gillispie!  He knew it was possible all along.  Everything makes more sense now.  And you know, I couldn't care less about this guy.  He was not Arkansas' best choice.  Kentucky can have him, and I think we can find a coach that will lead our team to whip his butt regularly.  I think Big Blue Nation will ultimately be dissatisfied. 

revolution

If we get a decent coach, we'll kick his butt regularly.  He's not gonna be an elite coach.  Still only Donovan at that level in the SEC.

THIS IS HOGVILLE!!!!

1)WE Both contact same coach.

2)Turns us down, goes to Kentucky.

3)We get a BBAll coach the same year as them.

WOW- i cant wait till we play Kentucky next year

jhudson84

We would both have to be ranked near the top 10 each year for that rival to respark and I believe they are building more of a battle with Florida than us.

James K. Pork

Quote from: revolution on April 06, 2007, 09:45:26 am
Gillispie!  He knew it was possible all along.  Everything makes more sense now.  And you know, I couldn't care less about this guy.  He was not Arkansas' best choice.  Kentucky can have him, and I think we can find a coach that will lead our team to whip his butt regularly.  I think Big Blue Nation will ultimately be dissatisfied. 

To me, it just shows an Athletic Director who is organized, prepared, and methodical in his approach.  Barnhart knew he had to go after the best.  He also understood the likelihood Donovan wouldn't take the job, so he had other names on the list and no doubt made some form of contact with their representatives even as the Donovan stories were being chewed on by the Kentucky boards.

Contrast this with our situation.  We wouldn't be in this mess with someone like Barnhart as athletic director.  Barnhart doesn't take vacations to Augusta while a new coach is being introduced to his program.

THIS IS HOGVILLE!!!!

If we get little Nolan (Anthony Grant) i guarantee that people we go to that game in Lex. and we will have us a hell of a game

UAfan

If we get coach Cal than you can bet that game will spark a lot of interest.

Pig In The City

Great catch for UK.  UK can attract the top coaches.  UA is left trying to attract a mid-level coach....that will actually STAY once we hire him.

little pigee

He was making money all the way through the process.  Now comes the fun part; being the next Adolf Rupp wannabee.
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

AFWarrior83

Most big college coaches don't make lateral moves MY BUTT!!
Hogville member since 2005.

mattfromhuntsville

Can't wait until we play Kentucky next year, just wish it was in BWA!!!!!  Beat that a$$ down!!!! 

cselby72

We have to start beating them again before we can renew the rivalry!

Publius

It's going to take more than a coaching change to revive this rivalry.  For starters, we are going to have to start living up to our end of the bargain and start doing better than finishing in the middle of the pack of the SEC West.  We're also going to have to secure BWA from any more Kentucky wins there before we start thinking about shuttin' up the blue bloods in Rupp by winning at their place.  Talk of rekindling this rivalry is ridiculously premature given that we can't even find anyone willing to step up to the plate and be our coach.

demonHOG1013

Who cares about basketball, we can still beat Kentucky in the Blood Drive! GO HOGS!

razorbackntexas

Let's just get a coach first....Can't play a game without a coach.
Quote from: losthawg68 on June 03, 2010, 02:26:15 am
This dude has some superhot friends and his girl is also in the upper echelon of scenery.

Publius

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on April 06, 2007, 10:20:45 am
Who cares about basketball, we can still beat Kentucky in the Blood Drive! GO HOGS!
That's a good one...I actually gave blood during the 1998 blood drive at BWA and still have a t-shirt they gave me for giving.  BTW, isn't 1998 the last time we beat Kentucky in BWA?

Ouachihog

April 06, 2007, 10:28:17 am #137 Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 10:35:33 am by Ouachihog
It has nothing to do with the AD, IMO.  It has to do with the fact that they are Kentucky and we are Arkansas.

We have a good job, they have a GREAT job.  BCG would've come here, but he was willing to wait to see if UK called him.  It paid off for him.  He got more money and a better job.  
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

DrSwineESQ

Tigerhog14s

Tubby is a good coach that was on borrowed time at Ky. But did they really do any better with BG. Ky is a huge BB program over the years, you would think they could do better.
Clothes make the man, Naked people have no influence on society. -Mark Twain

AR_dustoff

April 06, 2007, 10:38:08 am #140 Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 10:41:41 am by AR_dustoff
However, there was no way that Gillispie....was going to spurn Kentucky.

Guess that show us where we rank in everyone else's eyes versue KY!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6651032?MSNHPHMA

Coondog Hog

Was there ever any question.  We have tradition, but Kentucky is college basketball.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

moses_007

It's just another sad day in Arkansas athletics. :'(

dotnet

We didn't want BG because was above average.

jeffisahog

per espn ,sorry if already posted

RazorNick

rcthompson76

April 06, 2007, 10:49:46 am #146 Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 10:52:06 am by philip.seaton
Now that BCG has been hired by UK, and the dust has settled a bit, it's obvious that:

a. BCG wasn't as fully dedicated to aTm as they thought;

b. BCG wasn't as through and through Texas as everyone thought; and

c.  He simply was trying to get the best job he could.

You can't blame him for that.  Who among us would have done differently.  We may not like it, but almost anyone would take UK over UofA any day, anytime, anywhere.  Just the reality of the situation.  If we hadn't faced the "hurry and get this over with 'cause I have to get to the Masters" barrier, we probably could have come out this thing with a decent coach in a reasonable amount of time without the national embarrassment.  So we'll live with it, move on and find someone to get us jump started again.  Obsessing about it will get us nowhere, except into "depressionville", and who wants that.   And I've said before and I'll say it again-   We need to find an AD first and then worry about the BB coach, because in any triage situation you deal with the most immediate, acute problem first, then move on.   And our athletic dept is definitely in triage mode.

:razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback:  :razorback:
Favorite team: 
Hogs and whoever's playing Notre Dame, the Yankees, Creighton or Wake Forest.

catfanNar

you won back in 2001 I think, I was unfortunately there for that one!

jbcarol

Ten Quick Tips for what to do and not to do at your first UK Presser any minute now:

10. Don't lead with:  "I know what it is like to live with high expectations.  I made the Sweet 16 one time."
9. You mean you want a Final Four, next year?
8. Looking pre-occupied, looking at watch:  "What time is the 8th at Keeneland?"  (Horse racing reference)
7. Your returning front-line is Jared Carter and Perry Stephenson?!
6. You had an average 3.2 GPA.  What is a GPA?
5. Wow so this is Rupp Arena, this place is huge.  I was here last month (Presser will be in Memorial Coliseum.)
4. I like to play that tough defense and pass 10 times before you shoot.
3. I have never dreamed about coming here as I have never slept.
2. Where do you hang the Conference Championship banners?
1. I am embarrassed I don't know how to do the "Cat Call".  Oh, it's no problem.  Kentucky does not have a cool, coordinated cheer like those other guys.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ozmeisterd

BG is officially the Kentucky coach we need to kick the you know what out of them now.