Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just making the tournament

Started by Granny fan, March 11, 2007, 06:33:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Granny fan

I don't post on here all that much, but I'm sorry, I don't think our goal each year should be to "just make the NCAA tournament.  I think our goal every year should be to win another national championship, or at the very least make the final four.  I think to "just make the tournament" is setting the bar too low.  Just my opinion.

MM-gohogs

I don't see why not.
The goal in football is to just make a bowl.
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

Hawgvillain

Quote from: Granny fan on March 11, 2007, 06:33:06 pm
I don't post on here all that much, but I'm sorry, I don't think our goal each year should be to "just make the NCAA tournament.  I think our goal every year should be to win another national championship, or at the very least make the final four.  I think to "just make the tournament" is setting the bar too low.  Just my opinion.
The thing is...we made it this year and we will make it next year...that's 3 years in a row...players will start to notice this and want to play here.  It's a rebuilding process and it looks like it's working to me.

jamie72921

You go Granny!

This is so right. It is embarassing seeing how giddy people are about just making the tournament.

This team has no chance of making the final four at all. None!

It just seems so futile to be a Hog fan these days.
Bless your heart

razorrog1

It has to do with where the bar is at.  Under Nolan and Eddie it was (for the most part) expected every year.  We are building back up to relevance.  Back to back NCAAT appearances is a big deal compared to where we have been.  Next year squeaking in and/or losing the first game might not be enough.  As the Hogs progress, so do the expectations.  The truth is, the expectations haven't been very high the last few years.  They are climbing though, at a rapid rate.

jamie72921

Quote from: razorrog1 on March 11, 2007, 06:44:16 pm
It has to do with where the bar is at.  Under Nolan and Eddie it was (for the most part) expected every year.  We are building back up to relevance.  Back to back NCAAT appearances is a big deal compared to where we have been.  Next year squeaking in and/or losing the first game might not be enough.  As the Hogs progress, so do the expectations.  The truth is, the expectations haven't been very high the last few years.  They are climbing though at a rapid rate.

They are?

Being the last team into the field of 64 with 7 juniors on your team amounts to raised expectations?

No wonder we are mediocre.
Bless your heart

weresoclose

Quote from: MM-gohogs on March 11, 2007, 06:36:45 pm
I don't see why not.

Because, genius, we haven't played for a national championship in football in half a century, since before most of us were born.  

On the other hand, We won a national championship in basketball 13 years ago, and returned to the finals the next year.

If you don't understand that we are more capable of winning a NC in basketball than football, you live in fantasyland.

fineswine

Quote from: jamie72921 on March 11, 2007, 06:40:51 pm

You go Granny!

This is so right. It is embarassing seeing how giddy people are about just making the tournament.

The last check, and it is nothing against Nolan, but he went to the final four 3 times in 17 years.  Not exactly a frequent visitor to the final four.  Heck, Steve Fisher has won a national championship, so I don't think we should put much stock into all the bitterness you harbor.

Granny fan

I seem to remember a national championship with mostly sophmores and juniors.

Yoko Oinko

12 seed in basketball = Independence Bowl
"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

Dr. J

I agree. Just getting into the tournament as a low seeded team does not get it. Except for the last 5 games this has been a disappointing year.

weresoclose

Quote from: Granny fan on March 11, 2007, 06:48:08 pm

EXACTLY

This is no time to Die of Celebration!

This is a time to reflect on why in the world everyone is so satisfied and excited with an 18-win team squeeking their way into a tourney they have no shot in.

jamie72921

Quote from: fineswine on March 11, 2007, 06:47:42 pm
The last check, and it is nothing against Nolan, but he went to the final four 3 times in 17 years.  Not exactly a frequent visitor to the final four.  Heck, Steve Fisher has won a national championship, so I don't think we should put much stock into all the bitterness you harbor.
[/quote]

A little perspective for you then.

Eddie Sutton coached 4 decades and only went to 3 final fours, never winning a championship.

No bitterness here, just dissappointment.

Ray Maer, hall of famer, one final four. Bob Huggins, 1 final four.

3 is a lot for a coach. As a matter of fact, the University of Arkansas has been to 6 total.

You need a serious check on perspective sir.
Bless your heart

Hawgvillain

Quote from: weresoclose on March 11, 2007, 06:49:35 pm
Quote from: Granny fan on March 11, 2007, 06:48:08 pm

EXACTLY

This is no time to Die of Celebration!

This is a time to reflect on why in the world everyone is so satisfied and excited with an 18-win team squeeking their way into a tourney they have no shot in.
You are the only person in the world that doesn't count SEC tourney wins in computing the season record.  We have a decent team that managed to get back to the tourney after losing the 4 most important players from last year's team.  "Just getting in" is enough in a down year.  Next year, we will return 7 seniors and we have a solid young core with Bev/Washington/Welsh.  This is a program on the rise again. 

4thdownnutt

SquirrelMasterFunk

I don't see why not.

MM makes a good point.

Quote from: Hawgvillain on March 11, 2007, 06:40:37 pm
The thing is...we made it this year and we will make it next year...that's 3 years in a row...players will start to notice this and want to play here.  It's a rebuilding process and it looks like it's working to me.

I agree, next year this team will be a force in the SEC.
user #9084 (the poster formerly known as cbad)

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

Intelligent insults are too often wasted on the uncommonly stupid.

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

jamie72921

Quote from: Hawgvillain on March 11, 2007, 06:52:58 pm
You are the only person in the world that doesn't count SEC tourney wins in computing the season record.  We have a decent team that managed to get back to the tourney after losing the 4 most important players from last year's team.  "Just getting in" is enough in a down year.  Next year, we will return 7 seniors and we have a solid young core with Bev/Washington/Welsh.  This is a program on the rise again. 

This program is not on the rise. Did you watch the game today?

Not a good showing for a coaches 5th season in.
Bless your heart

SquirrelMasterFunk

Quote from: weresoclose on March 11, 2007, 06:47:23 pm
I don't see why not.

Because, genius, we haven't played for a national championship in football in half a century, since before most of us were born.  

On the other hand, We won a national championship in basketball 13 years ago, and returned to the finals the next year.

If you don't understand that we are more capable of winning a NC in basketball than football, you live in fantasyland.

You are so miserable, I am surprised that you have not thrown yourself of a building yet.

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

fineswine

Quote from: jamie72921 on March 11, 2007, 06:52:16 pm
Quote from: fineswine on March 11, 2007, 06:47:42 pm

A little perspective for you then.

Eddie Sutton coached 4 decades and only went to 3 final fours, never winning a championship.

No bitterness here, just dissappointment.

Ray Maer, hall of famer, one final four. Bob Huggins, 1 final four.

3 is a lot for a coach. As a matter of fact, the University of Arkansas has been to 6 total.

You need a serious check on perspective sir.
[/quote]Then why do you get defensive when "this team has no chance of making the final four"?  Did anyone seriously think coming in that us losing Brewer and Modica would result in a team that could reach the tournament?  After Corliss and Thurman checked out after their junior years, we went into the tank that we have been in ever since.  I don't understand your reasoning.  You're bitter about not being able to go to the final four, but you say it's almost impossible anyway.  At best, you are illogical.

weresoclose

THIS WAS NOT A DOWN YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!  It ended up a down year because of bad play.

Next year, our underprepared team will slop their way through another underachieving regular seasoin, attendance will decline midway through, and we'll squeek our way into a 8 seed and everyone will say "LOOK WE'RE IMPROVING"!!!!!!!!!

We should be a 6 seed or more this year.  We should be a 2 seed next year.  And it's not gonna happen.  Go enjoy mediocrity somewhere else.  I'm still upset Heath couldn't get it done this year and now we got him for 3 more.

Hawgvillain

March 11, 2007, 06:59:56 pm #20 Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 07:04:37 pm by Hawgvillain
Quote from: jamie72921 on March 11, 2007, 06:56:20 pm

Yes, I watched us get dismantled by one of the only teams to ever return all 5 starters from a National Championship year.  A year after we lost all of our key players, I'm okay with us losing in the SEC Championship Game and sneaking into the tourney.  Did you watch this team three years ago?  It's a program on the rise - in the last five years we have gone from the worst team in the SEC to getting into the NCAA tourney in a down year.

M6

The NFL or NBA is where winning is all that matters. In college winning is a bonus. A bowl is a bonus. Winning the NCAA or Final Four each year sounds good but is not reasonable. Each year you recruit against 300+ other schools. Some of your guys turn out better than expected some turn out not so good. Some schools have 77 million dollar sports budgets some have 7 million budgets. Asked anyone where is a good vacation spot. Half of them will name Florida first. The beach, Orlando.. the weather. Then there is loyalty to the state. Schools like Florida, California and Texas have 30 million citizens in the pool. Arkansas has 2 million. The field is not level. A state like Florida, Texas or California can realistically fight for the NC every year. Schools like Arkansas are at a disadvantage. Geographically and demographically. You may not like it but it is true.

SquirrelMasterFunk

Micheal Washington, Patrick Beverly, Stephan Welsh....Not a program on the rise????
This team will be great next year, one of the best in the SEC.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: weresoclose on March 11, 2007, 06:58:43 pm
THIS WAS NOT A DOWN YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!  It ended up a down year because of bad play.

Next year, our underprepared team will slop their way through another underachieving regular seasoin, attendance will decline midway through, and we'll squeek our way into a 8 seed and everyone will say "LOOK WE'RE IMPROVING"!!!!!!!!!

We should be a 6 seed or more this year.  We should be a 2 seed next year.  And it's not gonna happen.  Go enjoy mediocrity somewhere else.  I'm still upset Heath couldn't get it done this year and now we got him for 3 more.
Don't tell me to go somewhere else.  I'm every bit of big as a fan as you are...we have different views of how to get there but it is really trashy to tell me to go somewhere else.  This was a down year - we lost like 80% of the scoring off of last year's team.  5 of the most important players on this team had never played together (Welsh, Bev, Weems, Washington, Ervin) - that's an excuse for losing some games we shouldn't.  It's not an excuse for you to hope we lose...

Corkscrew Johnson

at the beginning of the year, if i told you we were to lose to texas tech, texas, and missouri in the non-conference schedule, go 7-9 in the SEC, our only top 25 victory was SOUTHERN ILLINOIS, and we squeak in to the tourney as the last team....9 out of 10 polled would say we didn't live up to our potential.   which seems to be a running theme with this coach. 

mountainhog

You have to have a goal to make it to the big dance before you can win it, or make it to the final 4.
Im sure every player on the team and the coaches have trying to win a NC a goal, If not then they shouldnt be playing.

M6

We didn't have much of a team or talent after Nolan left. Stop pretending Stan inherited a solid program. Our program was broken. It was overdrawn, in the hole. It wasn't healthy. Realistically the guy has had 3 years after pulling it out of the ditch and get it going in the right direction. After two years he was back to even. The last 3 years since. He had back to back 20 wins. Back to Back NCAA and got us to the SEC Championship for the first time in 7 years. Again you darksiders say he's had 5 years. That's the basis of your argument. Again your wrong.

ark30inf

From all the teams I support, I ask for one thing....improvement year to year.  This year is better than last, we have a good chance at next year being better than this. 

Some of you folks should be Nebraska fans.

I have been off, and on, and off, and on the Stan bandwagon since he has been here.  We said he needed to get to the NCAA, and he did, so now we set the bar higher.  I don't think so.  He has earned next year.

M6

March 11, 2007, 07:30:16 pm #28 Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 07:33:29 pm by M6
Quote from: mountainhog on March 11, 2007, 07:12:06 pm

You have to have a goal to make it to the big dance before you can win it, or make it to the final 4.
Im sure every player on the team and the coaches have trying to win a NC a goal, If not then they shouldnt be playing.

Mountainhog. I got news for you. Most of the players in college don't ever go pro. Most of them are here for the scholarship. Sure you want to win it all but only one wins each year. With a few exceptions most of the teams that win it have Jr/Sr strength. Rarely do freshman teams win it. Next years hogs will have a much better chance of winning the NC then the team the year after that. Next year we have a bunch of seniors. They have a reasonable chance. The team the year after that, no way. Those that don't go pro become educated members of the business community. They become doctors, public servants, real estate magnates, or just normal people with interesting backgrounds. I work with some of them. Twenty years from now it won't matter if you won or lost. It will matter that you wore the uniform with pride. Look at the consession stands at fball and bball games. They are staffed by local groups that use the money to fund socially responsible projects. To me there is so much more. My son and I've had the most important discussions after a painful loss. It teaches him lessons that he will need later in life. Winning is minuscule to things like that. My son's favorite material object is a football signed by the whole razorback team. He loves it. That team finished with 4 wins. But that doesn't matter to him.

CoachHogT

I think that is a reasonable first goal when rebuilding a program. Next step will be sweet 16's.

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: Hawgvillain on March 11, 2007, 06:40:37 pm
What was the result of last years trip?  Hogs slide in this year like a mouse under a door jam..I would not brag about the this Powerhouse of the SEC just yet..One more year gig again, Just one more year and they will turn it around?

Now that Stan has held on for a week, If they go out in round one again..

We would have wasted time in finding a new coach..CLEAN HOUSE ALREADY.
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Sao Ming

Quote from: jamie72921 on March 11, 2007, 06:40:51 pm

You go Granny!

Stars are aligning...you and I agree completely.

M6

My personal test for Stan and hogs this year was one win in the NCAA. The SEC Champion game was a bonus. If they win two and make the 16 it will exceed my expection. I set goals that are reasonable and attainable.

weresoclose

Quote from: ark30inf on March 11, 2007, 07:21:26 pm
From all the teams I support, I ask for one thing....improvement year to year.  This year is better than last, we have a good chance at next year being better than this. 

Some of you folks should be Nebraska fans.

I have been off, and on, and off, and on the Stan bandwagon since he has been here.  We said he needed to get to the NCAA, and he did, so now we set the bar higher.  I don't think so.  He has earned next year.

Your view is just like a Hugger.

1.  This year is NOT an improvement by any stretch.  We went down from a skin-of-our-teeth team last year to a skin-of-our-teeth Cinderella SECT team, which is worse.  We underperformed and lived up to not even our lowest expectations (unless you count a 12 seed).

2.  Nebraska's HC is very arguably better that ours.

3.  It has never been about one more year for Heath.  IT'S ABOUT THREE MORE YEARS.  Three more years is too much Heath.

M6

wereso. Your view is just like a haters.

1. We are in the NCAA. You say we don't deserve it. The NCAA selection committee disagrees with you.

2. Nebraska.. Our HC is arguably better than theirs

3. If Stan didn't make the NCAA next year he would be gone. It's not about 3 more years.

BallHog1

Way to fight through adversity hogs, real life is like that, sometimes things happen that you don't expect but you don't give up. These guys didn't give up. They would love to and plan to win a Nat'l Championship every year, sometimes it doesn't work out.
I'm sure all of those so critical of this team has had everything work out in their life exactly as they planned, I haven't so I can appreciate the determination it takes to keep at it and make the best of what life throws at you. They never gave up...can't say the same for some of the "fans".

darth sooie

2007=1993

Hogs lose to Tar Heels in sweet 16 in New Jersey, the next year what happened? C'mon, nobody can be calling for heath to lose his job

M6

NCAA Committee chairman said Sos, Rpi and SECT run. Lose on the road, run through the SECT and it balances. The whole body of work. In the end beating SC, Vandy and Miss in 3 days means more than losing two or three 'should haves' during the year. We were given a second chance and Were in. Finishing strong matters. Notice how the TV heads and haters had us out. Real fans and selection committee had us in.

BallHog1

Quote from: M6 on March 11, 2007, 08:13:54 pm
NCAA Committee chairman said Sos, Rpi and SECT run. Lose on the road, run through the SECT and it balances. The whole body of work. In the end beating SC, Vandy and Miss in 3 days means more than losing two or three 'should haves' during the year. We were given a second chance and Were in. Finishing strong matters. Notice how the TV heads and haters had us out. Real fans and selection committee had us in.

+1 M6
The players and a lot of fans didn't give up.
I hope they go along way, but if they're one and out, I still say progress is made.

Ironhawg

Quote from: jamie72921 on March 11, 2007, 06:46:16 pm
Quote from: razorrog1 on March 11, 2007, 06:44:16 pm
It has to do with where the bar is at.  Under Nolan and Eddie it was (for the most part) expected every year.  We are building back up to relevance.  Back to back NCAAT appearances is a big deal compared to where we have been.  Next year squeaking in and/or losing the first game might not be enough.  As the Hogs progress, so do the expectations.  The truth is, the expectations haven't been very high the last few years.  They are climbing though at a rapid rate.

They are?

Being the last team into the field of 64 with 7 juniors on your team amounts to raised expectations?

No wonder we are mediocre.

True

HogsGranpa

To make the Final Four, you have to make the tournament.  The Final Four is the objective.

Hog_Beatz

Quote from: cbad on March 11, 2007, 07:00:24 pm

Micheal Washington, Patrick Beverly, Stephan Welsh....Not a program on the rise????
This team will be great next year, one of the best in the SEC.

Nobody will argue that the players we are bringing in are getting better...but is the team getting better?  The only reason we went on this run is the players got some late season motivation after falling apart in the SEC.  If Stan was able to get this type of play out of his team going into the SEC schedule then improve them throughout the season we could be talking about a completely different scenario. 

He is the coach and shouldn't rely on something out of his control to get his team going, imagine if the squabble with Miss St never happened, where would we be?  (Probably looking for a new coach)  This team has shown they are good enough when they want to be, and it is the coaches job to harness that talent into a consistent ball club, and Stan has not done that. 

The team wins when they're pumped up and motivated, and look pathetic when they're not.  When a player is not pumped up for a game is when coaching comes through the most.  Whether or not they are solid enough offensively and defensively to get it done even if their opponent is half a step quicker, if you play solid ball it doesn't matter how much quicker your opponent is, your head should still win it for you, and that is what this team hasn't shown.  When shots aren't going down, there is normally a reason, and it's not typically an off day for your players, it is your ability to get open, and coaching should get good players open all the time.  We've got the players, just not the coaching.

My ramble is now over.

cream$$$

For me it's exciting just making the tournament because it was a very real possibility that we wouldn't.  It's like a nice surprise.  Obviously, just making the tournament should be lower than the team's expectations for themselves.  I agree that just making the tournament should not be our goal, but rather gaining a high seed should be that goal.  But whatever one's goals may have been, it is OK to be excited about making the field when everyone said you wouldn't.  My advice is to enjoy it when reality hands you something that truly is enjoyable rather than sulking over unrealized aspirations.  Every coach has one absolute goal: to beat everybody else and win the Nat. Title.  That is our team's goal no matter what ancillary goals are discussed publically.  We should revel in all the anger spewed our way by ESPN guys, etc. that say we shouldn't be there and cheer on our team against a USC team that we have a good chance to beat.  I'm gonna wait untill the off-season to worry about attitudes and goals.  Go Hogs.

hogblade

Hey, Why don't we wait until the season is over before you start evaluating whether this was a disappointing season. Will you still be this vocal with victories over USC and Texas? What about a victory over North Carolina? It probably won't happen, but seriously, wait until the season is over.

TransAmHawg

There is 65 teams all starting from the same record at this point. We are in and from this point forward we have just as fair a shot as the other 64. We could choke or go all the way. I'm sure it's somewhere inbetween. 
  I hope we make Sweet sixteen. I think USC will be tough but if we play with heart we can win. Texas (spit)  is one we'll get up for after playing them early in the year. NC is a whole other problem. They are good. Stan and co. could make a run. We've got talent if it can be brought to the dance.
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

NEAHawgfan

You can't win it if you ain't in it. Baby steps my friend......baby steps.

jamie72921

If simply making the tournament is a goal, you are in no danger of winning it.

Just getting there should be a given for crying out loud. Lute Olsen is coaching in his 23rd straight tourney this season tying Dean Smith. Just getting there isn't an accomplishment or a goal, but an expectation.

As a father and a husband, my wife doesn't jump up and down and get all giddy when I haven't got drunk, smoked some dope, stolen from the neighbors, or neglected to physically abuse her. It is expected that I shouldn't do those things.

Making the tournament is expected. The fact it was ever in doubt is a serious sign of trouble. The fact that we made it a sigh of relief not a scream of exaultation.
Bless your heart

weresoclose

Why don't we wait till pigs fly out of your butt to start evaluating the season?