Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema news conference today

Started by Biggus Piggus, May 05, 2016, 10:51:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 05, 2016, 01:05:30 pm
why WOULD a kid who left early say that? Weird take. Only people who might say that are the kids who DON'T go early. This thread has so much FAIL.
I was talking about kids leaving school early, not going early in the draft. And yes, I remember reading Thurman hass talked to basketball players who are thinking about declaring early
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

ricepig

Quote from: FWF79 on May 05, 2016, 01:50:34 pm
Everyone cant play guard.   I keep hearing guard, guard, guard....  Who is going to fill the tackle spots?

That's the same problem MA has, everyone wants to play guard.......they want the best 5 in their best position. I figure we'll see some new guys in the mix in the fall, but find a starting 5 fairly soon in to camp.

1highhog

Quote from: Wildhog on May 05, 2016, 11:53:08 am
The recruiting hotbed that is the Bahamas...  sounds like they just want a vacay.  :)

They go there anyway.

justmakeit2thebcs

Based on the techniques Anderson is teaching and requires to play OL.  Players that fit at tackle in one system, don't in another and the same goes for guard and center. 

Satellite camps are for finding talent you wouldn't otherwise see as well as branding.  The Bahamas are full of athletes, Jamaica may be next.   

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on May 05, 2016, 02:40:01 pm
Satellite camps are for finding talent you wouldn't otherwise see as well as branding.  The Bahamas are full of athletes, Jamaica may be next.   

lol
1909/1964/1965/1977

RAMhawg

If we're really looking for football players outside of the US, instead of the Bahamas I recommend the Samoan Islands. 

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on May 05, 2016, 02:43:14 pm
lol

It's my understanding that we are missing out on some talent on St. John's and St.Thomas.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on May 05, 2016, 03:00:44 pm
It's my understanding that we are missing out on some talent on St. John's and St.Thomas.

CBB: "You know, I've always been impressed with those under-the-radar Tahitians."
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on May 05, 2016, 03:15:12 pm
CBB: "You know, I've always been impressed with those under-the-radar Tahitians."

I could see us going to Samoa.

PorkRinds

I honestly think the Bahamas thing is just tongue in cheek.  I could be wrong, but I see no benefit from us going there.  And since he first brought it up in response to Michigan, I think we would either have spring practice there, or nothing at all.  It makes zero sense to have a prospect camp in the Bahamas. 

GolfnHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 05, 2016, 01:03:54 pm
idiocy abounds in this thread. I am remembering names for future use on this one.

You're gonna be pretty darned busy, Pig!!!
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

ChitownHawg

Bahamas yo mommas. Who cares if some of our coaches go there. In the end the competitive West will weed out ANY unproductive time or ideas the coaches have.

Now what is CBB's email address as I want to volunteer to be a water boy for the camp!  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

TebowHater

Quote from: jry04 on May 05, 2016, 12:05:41 pm
They are prospect camps held for the people in those countries, not to fly HS kids out to the Bahamas and hold a camp for them. I am guessing any HS kids vacationing out there at the time could register for it, but the idea to hold a camp in other countries is to discover players there.

Yes, Bielema said in his PC we have two guys from there, and they claim there are other players chomping at the bit...which he has seen on his fishing vacations there each summer too

Smokehouse

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 05, 2016, 12:00:41 pm
The whole Kirkland thing makes me wonder what the holy flying hell goes on with some young guys. Did he really think he had a great season? Why was his self-image so far off? He had to have ignored a lot of facts to believe somebody who told him he would be a high draft pick. Kirkland played those football games and knows how he did.

The same reason people think they're going to win the lottery or hit it big on the slots or whatever. People are really bad at probabilities and really good at projecting what they want to believe. So you see some site rank you high, and you have an agent who's talking you up (because he wants you to hire him) and you buy-in to the small probability that these few sources, rather than the majority of other sources, have the true read on what NFL teams are thinking, because that's what you want to believe anyway.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

VirginiaHog

Quote from: FWF79 on May 05, 2016, 01:50:34 pm
Everyone cant play guard.   I keep hearing guard, guard, guard....  Who is going to fill the tackle spots?
Wallace is a natural right tackle. I think the thought is Wallace will be as good at tackle as Skipper but skipper is a better guard than Wallace. There is no way i would put my money on who and where the 5 will be that starts game 1.

ricepig

Quote from: Smokehouse on May 05, 2016, 04:10:18 pm
The same reason people think they're going to win the lottery or hit it big on the slots or whatever. People are really bad at probabilities and really good at projecting what they want to believe. So you see some site rank you high, and you have an agent who's talking you up (because he wants you to hire him) and you buy-in to the small probability that these few sources, rather than the majority of other sources, have the true read on what NFL teams are thinking, because that's what you want to believe anyway.

So.....you're saying it doesn't look good on my $2 chance to win $415m on Saturday?

Ugly Uncle

Could we have a football camp out in American Samoa?  That would be a great place for some talent.
Retired Radio Host

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: VirginiaHog on May 05, 2016, 04:19:19 pm
Wallace is a natural right tackle. I think the thought is Wallace will be as good at tackle as Skipper but skipper is a better guard than Wallace. There is no way i would put my money on who and where the 5 will be that starts game 1.

And if Wallace is even better at rt than skipper, we're gonna have one hell of a rt!!!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 05, 2016, 04:38:03 pm
Could we have a football camp out in American Samoa?  That would be a great place for some talent.

I think your Hogville membership expired due to lack of activity.  ;D

Good to hear from you.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PorkSoda

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on May 05, 2016, 04:38:03 pm
I'm thinking Japan.  we could hit up some of those sumo schools.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 06:20:03 pm
I'm thinking Japan.  we could hit up some of those sumo schools.

If we go Japan, I want us to bring back some samurai so they can chop the legs off of our opponents.

Too much?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on May 05, 2016, 06:26:43 pm
If we go Japan, I want us to bring back some samurai so they can chop the legs off of our opponents.

Too much?

Not too much.......old barn has been doing that chop leg thing for years!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazorWhacker

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 05, 2016, 03:18:43 pm
I honestly think the Bahamas thing is just tongue in cheek.  I could be wrong, but I see no benefit from us going there.  And since he first brought it up in response to Michigan, I think we would either have spring practice there, or nothing at all.  It makes zero sense to have a prospect camp in the Bahamas.

I don't know about no benefit.

The next recruiting trip CBB is on:  Hey Mr 5 star RB. You know if you come to Arkansas we do a little camp in the Bahamas...

Smokehouse

Quote from: ricepig on May 05, 2016, 04:19:22 pm
So.....you're saying it doesn't look good on my $2 chance to win $415m on Saturday?

I've got some sources that say you've got a shot...

QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: VirginiaHog on May 05, 2016, 04:19:19 pm

So Wallace basically has a cup of coffee at LT and then by his request, is moved to the right side at OG, but now we project him to be more mobile than Skipper and capable of handling that right edge position to such a capable degree that it moves Skipper down inside to OG? Well, we will see how that all works out in August.
Go Hogs Go!

rzrbackramsfan

Sounds like the satellite camps are going to be very entertaining from a recruiting perspective.  I think it's perfect for an ambitious coach like Bielema and I really hope he can be on the leading edge of using satellite camps to an advantage.  I also hope we can keep up with the arms race coach Bielema was talking about.

PorkSoda

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 05, 2016, 08:20:55 pm
So Wallace basically has a cup of coffee at LT and then by his request, is moved to the right side at OG, but now we project him to be more mobile than Skipper and capable of handling that right edge position to such a capable degree that it moves Skipper down inside to OG? Well, we will see how that all works out in August.
At this point I lean towards this being the result of a new oline coach trying to get a feel for how his group performs at different positions.  I have no doubt he will get things ironed out by midway through fall practice.  I'm sure he just wants to get the best five on the field regardless of position.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

moses_007

Quote from: TM Hog on May 05, 2016, 10:58:34 am
I hate to see Evans leave, but probably the best for him.  I'm glad the coaching staff is helping him find a new home. Thanks for the press conference update.
He was clearly our best runner in the spring game, and might very well turned into a star this coming season.  We aren't overly blessed with a stable of good runners right now.

Cure

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 05, 2016, 08:20:55 pm
His problem has always been mental, but he is certainly more mobile.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

BoynamedWooPigSooie

The recruiting hotbed that is the Bahamas...  sounds like they just want a vacay.  :)

Correct. Sounds like our staff isn't ultra committed to winning.

The wealth of talent in South Florida has Jamaican, Haitian and Cuban roots.

Do a camp in Havana ASAP w/ the political relations easing up w/ Cuba. Do a camp on Dominica promote the state and the baseball program and other sports, promote the agriculture industry of Arkansas, promote the university.

Get to Iceland and recruit some monsters for the OL. Do a camp in London. The NFL is playing games in England annually now, take advantage of that and having Froholdt on the team. Develop a pipeline into Europe, maybe we could find a kicker or two.

There's really a lot of opportunity here and I wish to see our athletic department be ahead of the curve and proactive and get the benefits of being the first.

Of course we've got to hit DFW, Houston, Atlanta, S. Fla, Chicago, Detroit, NJ, Ohio/Pittsburgh.  It probably wouldn't hurt to hit Southern California, Nashville/Memphis, OKC/Tulsa, Birmingham, Virginia/DC, San Antonio/Austin, PHX, Vegas, SLC.

It'll suck for the coaches but their competitors will surely be doing it and they need to earn those salaries. Budget a million bucks on camps across the globe, give away swag and make them free for prospects if you really want to help kids. I'm seeing where other P5 schools are charging $40-$60 bucks a kid for their camps that have already been scheduled.

This is a big time opportunity to help recruiting to our little state, and not just for football. I'd really like to see our coaches go all out on this and get an edge.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Dr. Starcs

We shouldn't do it unless Prestworthy approves.

southeasthog

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on May 06, 2016, 02:32:07 am

Yep. You nailed it. They've had so much success the last three years that they have put it on cruise control. Time to fire all of them and bring in Johnelle for a season to get this thing turned around. :puke:

East TN HAWG

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on May 06, 2016, 02:32:07 am

The wealth of talent in South Florida has Jamaican, Haitian and Cuban roots.

Do a camp in Havana ASAP w/ the political relations easing up w/ Cuba. Do a camp on Dominica promote the state and the baseball program and other sports, promote the agriculture industry of Arkansas, promote the university.

Get to Iceland and recruit some monsters for the OL. Do a camp in London. The NFL is playing games in England annually now, take advantage of that and having Froholdt on the team. Develop a pipeline into Europe, maybe we could find a kicker or two.

There's really a lot of opportunity here and I wish to see our athletic department be ahead of the curve and proactive and get the benefits of being the first.

Of course we've got to hit DFW, Houston, Atlanta, S. Fla, Chicago, Detroit, NJ, Ohio/Pittsburgh.  It probably wouldn't hurt to hit Southern California, Nashville/Memphis, OKC/Tulsa, Birmingham, Virginia/DC, San Antonio/Austin, PHX, Vegas, SLC.

It'll suck for the coaches but their competitors will surely be doing it and they need to earn those salaries. Budget a million bucks on camps across the globe, give away swag and make them free for prospects if you really want to help kids. I'm seeing where other P5 schools are charging $40-$60 bucks a kid for their camps that have already been scheduled.

This is a big time opportunity to help recruiting to our little state, and not just for football. I'd really like to see our coaches go all out on this and get an edge.

Covey-Franklin gave us a training session on execution about 2 months ago.  They stated that more important goals a company has the less likely they will accomplish any.  If a organization has 1-2 wildly important goals, they will accomplish 1-2 goals with excellence.  If they have 4-10 wildly important goals, they will accomplish 1-2 with excellence.  Above 10 goals, they will accomplish none.

A plan like this would spread our coaches out too far.  It would be better having multiple camps in concentrated areas such as Dallas, Houston, Miami, then to spread camps over the world.  I think if you can get in front of the same athletes multiple times your chances of securing that athlete increase exponentially.     

ricepig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 06, 2016, 03:20:09 am
We shouldn't do it unless Prestworthy approves.

And it's filmed and put in a series......

razoredge178

Usually CBB is pretty sharp with his comments, however, I thought his off the cuff comments on players like Kirkland having some sort of opportunity to come back to college after not getting drafted were way off the mark. The health of both college football and the NFL is very good right now...I can't fathom a system in which you could do this that wouldn't double or triple the number of players trying there chance at the draft. I mean, why not?

He implied the system needs to be looked at-- I think he's dead wrong. The system is strong and healthy; the 30+ kids that went undrafted and their families are the problem, not the system.

bigdaddyhawg

I think there is something being missed from all the discussion of OL movement:  Not a word has been said about moving anyone to left tackle or moving Colton Jackson out of there.

I think this is significant.  This staff obviously has no problem moving guys around any and every time they think they might find something better. so the fact they're not looking at LT seems to indicate they are happy with what they've got in Mr. Jackson.

I love the Darrel Royal quote "if a dog's gonna bite, he'll bite as a pup".  I'm thinking we may have found our LT.

Hope so, at least.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

a0ashle

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 06, 2016, 08:18:10 am
I think there is something being missed from all the discussion of OL movement:  Not a word has been said about moving anyone to left tackle or moving Colton Jackson out of there.

I think this is significant.  This staff obviously has no problem moving guys around any and every time they think they might find something better. so the fact they're not looking at LT seems to indicate they are happy with what they've got in Mr. Jackson.

I love the Darrel Royal quote "if a dog's gonna bite, he'll bite as a pup".  I'm thinking we may have found our LT.

Hope so, at least.

AND... hjalte has remained at guard, despite just moving over there. Obviously that could just be our coaches letting him focus on learning 1 new position, instead of 5, but I still find it interesting that they haven't wavered away from him at guard. Starting guard at that.

SemperHawg

That is kind of the advantage of these satellite camps, until they put some kind of regulations on where and how many, essentially where ever a coach is can be turned into a satellite camp.  If Coach B and some other coaches are vacationing in the Bahamas and want to take a little time out to look at the local FB talent they can rent a space and boom, the recruiting loophole know as a satellite camp.  Thats also why I think you will see the NCAA at some point throw some regulations on these things.

hawg IQ

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 05, 2016, 12:00:41 pm
The whole Kirkland thing makes me wonder what the holy flying hell goes on with some young guys. Did he really think he had a great season? Why was his self-image so far off? He had to have ignored a lot of facts to believe somebody who told him he would be a high draft pick. Kirkland played those football games and knows how he did.

Kids need to understand, most of the early NFL draftees are skilled players like rb's receivers, tight ends and so forth. Defensive players such as rush ends and LBs. usually the linemen are last drafted, unless extremely dominant.

Kirkland had a lot issues here and many of us thought, well frankly , he was not that good. He was strong however. He needed another year here and then doubtful to be in top 4 rounds. One wonders where he got "Good info" on be drafted period.

I do understand money and family, but huge mistake that is costly and will no doubt affect his entire life.
   Yet we all have made our shares of mistakes also and some even more costly.
go hogs go !

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 06, 2016, 08:18:10 am

Hope so, at least.

LT could be a position they address with a grad transfer, but Paul Ramirez also will compete for the job.
[CENSORED]!

Wildhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 06, 2016, 10:26:11 am
LT could be a position they address with a grad transfer, but Paul Ramirez also will compete for the job.

Hopefully they're not recruiting jucos to come in and sit on the bench.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: RAMhawg on May 05, 2016, 03:00:40 pm
If we're really looking for football players outside of the US, instead of the Bahamas I recommend the Samoan Islands.
I recommend Australia.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Wildhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 06, 2016, 11:53:12 am
I recommend Australia.

Was talking about that with a friend earlier.  They have all those kickers down there, plus the rugby players.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on May 06, 2016, 11:45:28 am
Hopefully they're not recruiting jucos to come in and sit on the bench.

A JUCO guy is sometimes a crap shoot, especially getting them up to speed.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on May 06, 2016, 12:06:02 pm
A JUCO guy is sometimes a crap shoot, especially getting them up to speed.

I'm not saying they always pan out, but you recruit jucos to come in and contribute immediately.
1909/1964/1965/1977

WooPig90

Quote from: RazorWhacker on May 05, 2016, 06:45:29 pm
I don't know about no benefit.

The next recruiting trip CBB is on:  Hey Mr 5 star RB. You know if you come to Arkansas we do a little camp in the Bahamas...

The players dont go, only the coaches...

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on May 06, 2016, 12:06:55 pm
I'm not saying they always pan out, but you recruit jucos to come in and contribute immediately.

That's the plan, in theory, lol.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 06, 2016, 10:26:11 am

Yes, but you don't think the fact they're not talking about any moves out there doesn't indicate something good re: CJ?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

longpig

Quote from: WooPig90 on May 06, 2016, 12:10:47 pm
The players dont go, only the coaches...

Which camps was Bielema talking about the players working, instate only?
Don't be scared, be smart.