Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A&M loses recruits

Started by Fatty McGee, May 05, 2016, 08:20:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatty McGee

Good to see. WR coach got a little mouthy in Twitter and it is costing them.  Kids are smarter these days. They aren't going to be lectured about loyalty by a guy who would bail in a second for an OC job.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recruiting/story/_/id/15465600/texas-aggies-lose-second-recruit-night-coach-tweets
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Fatmanhog

If that causes those recruits to decommit then there is a real problem with the sensitivity of these players. That coach is right, ugh, that the truth is the truth. I wish they would make a rule that you couldn't commit till the first game or something  like that. Commitment is a word with no definition to most of these athletes.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Fatmanhog on May 05, 2016, 08:47:24 am
If that causes those recruits to decommit then there is a real problem with the sensitivity of these players. That coach is right, ugh, that the truth is the truth. I wish they would make a rule that you couldn't commit till the first game or something  like that. Commitment is a word with no definition to most of these athletes.

So is the recruiting coach committed 100% to the recruit? Will he stay for the entire college career of the recruit?

The answer is no. In sports contracts are not that binding. An NFL team signs a contract with a player and then cuts the player. The players, both college and NFL, have learned that teams and coaches will cut you.

So they don't hold their commitment either. Coaches want commitment then they have to commitment as well. It is a two way street.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Fatty McGee

That coach would ditch those players in a second for a better job. They know that.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Wrong. The coach acts like recruits changing their mind is some new phenomena.  It's not.  It's being going on since recruiting began.  A kid who has yet to play his senior season changed his mind.  Imagine that.   For one it's what high school kids do.  Better the kid change his mind now than say 2 weeks or the day before signing day. 

The coach could have handled it properly and talked to the kid or whoever one on one.  But he went on a social media tough guy rant.  You know who does that?  Immature teenagers.  Could be the kid got a good look at what Texas A&M football is all about

What it really speaks to is a lack of leadership at Texas A&M.  It's not surprising, everyone already knew that.  The coach's rant is just a symptom of a bigger problem with their program.

And seriously with all the talent A&M has been pulling in why should they even act so butt hurt.  Plenty of time to go out and recruit another 4 or 5 star guy to replace the one they lost.  But you know what by showing your a** on social media you hurt your chances with future recruits.

There are some that applaud him.  "Oh yeah he is telling it like it is.  It's about time someone put these recruits in their place"  Seriously? basically he said the sky is blue and water is wet, but in a dickish way, and came off more petty and cocky than anything else.  "This is Texas A&M how dare you change your mind on us.  For shame for shame" 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

SemperHawg

College Football recruiting is nothing but two way sales.  It starts with a prospective college football player working hard on their craft to sell their ability to play football at the next level.  It then transitions in to all of the different colleges that have bought into the possible skill set of the prospective football player, and trying to sell them on the idea of bringing their possible skill set to (in this case) Texas A&M.

We can talk all day about how kids are soft and their commitments are flaky (which is true), or the fact that most of these coaches are pretty much millionare mercenaries (which is also true).  At the end of it all this Aggie coach lost his cool and failed at selling his program to recruits and it cost him. 

Couldn't happen to a better bunch of clowns in my opinion. 

hogsfan31

Bet he's not preaching this rant when Texas A&M is flipping recruits from other schools. It's just the nature of how it happens these days.

These players know he won't be there forever and he's a better paying gig away from leaving. Whether these kids end up playing on the same team or end up on rival teams, they still support each other. They're all living the same dream. A coach doing this is not good.

Stay classy A&M.

a0ashle

I am guessing this is just the straw that broke the camels back for these recruits and that they already were thinking about decommiting, I remember Enos said something similar about loyalty  after we had a switch last year, and it to was said to not be related to that decommit. We had no backlash, let alone this.

Vantage 8 dude

This is an ongoing argument that will likely not be getting any better until something changes concerning what a true "commitment" really means. Yes, I DO understand that that the traditional "a man's word is his bond" SHOULD be the standard. Unfortunately for BOTH sides nothing is truly binding until a kid's signature is on the national letter he signs with a school in February on NSD. While you'd like to think that once a young man says he's going to a particular program it would be a done deal; however, remember that we've also seen school's withdraw offers on a semi-regular basis. Think this doesn't leave a young man in the lurch at times?

Remember too that often a decision about where the kid ends up often involves an educational decision, as well as where he feels most comfortable all around. This is a HUGE decision for both sides and unfortunately many 16-18 y.o. (typically) kids are constantly waffling back and forth with what they're going to do from one day to the next. Until the good Lord changes THAT fact of life we're going to be facing this issue from now on.

a0ashle

This decision is bigger for these kids then the coaches. A&M will get their WRs, kid lands at the wrong school and it can crush him.

atekido

Please....Why should a Kid be loyal to a team and college that does not show loyalty or respect or professionalism?   

longpig

I've always liked Sumlin, but there's constantly something amiss with his program.
Don't be scared, be smart.

SemperHawg

Quote from: atekido on May 05, 2016, 09:34:22 am
Please....Why should a Kid be loyal to a team and college that does not show loyalty or respect or professionalism?   

Every time Old Saint Nick at Bama pulls one of his string along last minuted grey shirt moves, it feeds this narrative even more.  The over signing and having "The numbers work themselves out" is the reason if it were my son I would have him looking out for his best interest only no matter what, including my fandom.

Inhogswetrust

May 05, 2016, 10:17:07 am #14 Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:36:54 pm by Inhogswetrust

Commitment is a word that coaches throw around like candy on Halloween but they don't have it themselves. How loyal do you think that coach would be to TAMU IF he thought a better deal came along. He would bolt faster than Usain bolt..............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: a0ashle on May 05, 2016, 09:26:50 am
I am guessing this is just the straw that broke the camels back for these recruits and that they already were thinking about decommiting, I remember Enos said something similar about loyalty  after we had a switch last year, and it to was said to not be related to that decommit. We had no backlash, let alone this.
Enos didn't tweet that at a kid! is that what you are saying?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Razorbackers

I wouldn't want to play for a coach that bad mouths recruits online.

Hogarusa

A college coach probably shouldnt publically insult how younger generations act and behave.

College coaching is probably the last profession that should preach about loyalty and commitment.

Some people just dont know how to effectively use social media.  If i were Sumlin, i would send him packing.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Vantage 8 dude

IMO this points out the wisdom of the old saying of "Quit while you're ahead". Very little a coach could say, other than "good luck" to the kid, that would make the situation any better. But being an Aggie he, not surprisingly, really stepped in it and got it all himself and the program. Some folks just can't help themselves.....

a0ashle

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 05, 2016, 10:34:19 am

If i have time i'll go find it... but the timing was like this. We had a decommit, and Enos tweeted one of his inspirational tweets that focused on loyalty, and some here tried to connect the dots. I have no idea if the decommit and the tweet were related in anyway and that really isn't critical to my point,  I am only comparing the situations... and point out that our recruits didn't jump off the wagon like this. To me a tweet like this isn't likely to cause you to decommit unless there were already concerns about that coach/school.

Edit: The tweet in question...

[tweet]694186738550312961[/tweet]

P.S. This not meant as anything against our coaching staff, I am trying to point out that the problems at A&M are much deeper then a tweet...

Seebs

As a former Rush chairman I can tell you, back even in the 80's, you showed your best side during the dating process. Once they signed, you let them know there was work to be done.  The nuances of dealing with several personalities is intense and this coach simply does not have it at all. 

Would I want my son to play for this guy? No., no I would not, even for if only one year.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: longpig on May 05, 2016, 09:45:01 am
I've always liked Sumlin, but there's constantly something amiss with his program.

Aggies are going to Aggie.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: a0ashle on May 05, 2016, 11:10:37 am
If i have time i'll go find it... but the timing was like this. We had a decommit, and Enos tweeted one of his inspirational tweets that focused on loyalty, and some here tried to connect the dots. I have no idea if the decommit and the tweet were related in anyway and that really isn't critical to my point,  I am only comparing the situations... and point out that our recruits didn't jump off the wagon like this. To me a tweet like this isn't likely to cause you to decommit unless there were already concerns about that coach/school.

P.S. This not meant as anything against our coaching staff, I am trying to point out that the problems at A&M are much deeper then a tweet...

Big difference in tone there, but I get your point.

Something smells (worse than usual) in College Station. Hate that for them.  :razorback:

Buff

The coach in question was under contract at Va. Tech when he left for A&M, was he not?

a0ashle

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on May 05, 2016, 11:56:46 am

Something smells (worse than usual) in College Station. Hate that for them.  :razorback:

Definitely a difference in tone, and also the A&M coach doubled down on his mistake. We teach this to young kids, but for some reason adults have the hardest time with it. Own your mistake, don't double down, move on and do better next time.

ricepig

On OTL right now, nothing like publicity......

sickboy

I don't know if it's just bad timing or a coach running his mouth when he should keep it shut... either way, I don't care. It's entertaining to watch A&M continue their horrible offseason PR campaign.

phadedhawg

In a healthy atmosphere comments like that don't always catch fire.  But A&M is in the middle of program meltdown.  It's only gonna get messier. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: a0ashle on May 05, 2016, 11:10:37 am

big difference in these two cases. The A&M coach directed the tweet to the kid. Hogville "connecting the dots" isn't the same thing as all. No one bashed the coach for his point of view, he directed it at the kid (which is classless imo) , and that is why there was a backlash. It looked like you were trying to say "i wonder why there wasn't a similar backlash with Enos?" and the answer to that being the obvious, because it's not EVEN the same thing AT ALL imo.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ChitownHawg

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on May 05, 2016, 11:56:46 am

I think to defend that coach a bit - TAM has been hit hard with decommits and departures. While he was wrong with the tweet I can see where he and the other staff are probably a little raw right now.

Plus Enos is a class act.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

longtimeHogfan

Moorehead put his mouth/tweet in motion before engaging his brain.  If he had given just a little bit of thought as to how this would be received on the other end......  "We wish nothing but the best for you....good luck!"  Like that.  There wouldn't have been any domino effect. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Seebs

Has to do with timing here guys. Putu lied flat out. This early in the process kids change their minds - a lot.  Unlikely Hogs sign all of who they have committed now, and we move on to the next. If this happened feb 2 then I can see butthurt.

This is a coach coming after a recruit personally and publicly. It is unprofessional, immature and  hurtful to the program he represents.  Which has me all giddy,
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Seebs on May 05, 2016, 01:45:20 pm
Has to do with timing here guys. Putu lied flat out. This early in the process kids change their minds - a lot.  Unlikely Hogs sign all of who they have committed now, and we move on to the next. If this happened feb 2 then I can see butthurt.

This is a coach coming after a recruit personally and publicly. It is unprofessional, immature and  hurtful to the program he represents.  Which has me all giddy,
totally agree. That's why I tried to smash the comparison as soon as it was made.

a0ashle

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 05, 2016, 01:11:12 pm
big difference in these two cases. The A&M coach directed the tweet to the kid. Hogville "connecting the dots" isn't the same thing as all. No one bashed the coach for his point of view, he directed it at the kid (which is classless imo) , and that is why there was a backlash. It looked like you were trying to say "i wonder why there wasn't a similar backlash with Enos?" and the answer to that being the obvious, because it's not EVEN the same thing AT ALL imo.

LOL, you guys took this as me being a hater and ran with it, despite me specifically saying this isn't about us at all. I also really enjoy the fake quote I am assuming you are attributing to me. (bolded).

Fine, it's completely different unrelated. A&M doesn't have deeper issues, and the only reason these commits are high tailing it away from College Station is because the WR coach was an A-hole on twitter. Better now?

a0ashle

and you have done cost me my 500th post  ;)

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Fatty McGee on May 05, 2016, 08:20:31 am
Good to see. WR coach got a little mouthy in Twitter and it is costing them.  Kids are smarter these days. They aren't going to be lectured about loyalty by a guy who would bail in a second for an OC job.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/recruiting/story/_/id/15465600/texas-aggies-lose-second-recruit-night-coach-tweets

Could not happen to a better bunch.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorburn

maybe it's just the mother/and high school teacher in me, but high school kids need to be asleep at 12:30 a.m. rather than on twitter.

Vantage 8 dude

So the TAM coach goes into orbit at a decommit TEN months before NSD?! Gosh, it's not as if the Agonies don't have adequate time to find a legitimate replacement.....then again, being TAM perhaps they don't. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 05, 2016, 01:17:20 pm
I think to defend that coach a bit - TAM has been hit hard with decommits and departures. While he was wrong with the tweet I can see where he and the other staff are probably a little raw right now.

Plus Enos is a class act.

It's always better to keep one's mouth closed and have others think you are an idiot than to open it and remove all doubt.............................The coach should have kept his social media mouth closed.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RazorWhacker

Some of these assistant coaches are part of the generation that sees all things revolving around the $. This guy is no different than the recruits he is looking down on.

It's like if the Ten Commandments were written by his generation it would be;

Thou shall not have any other Gods before me... Unless there is a lot of money involved.
Thou shall not commit murder... Unless there is a lot of money involved
Thou shall not commit adultery...Unless there is a lot of money involved
Thou shall not lie... Unless there is a lot of money involved

oldbear

much about a kid's character as some think. Example:  you apply for several jobs and a pretty good one calls you and tells you they want to hire you. They tell you that the job opens in 6 months and you tell them that fits perfectly within your time frame. A month later, your dream job opens up and it too begins in that same perfect time frame for you to complete the project you are working on at your current job and begin in the five months left. It is the same pay but for you is the perfect fit as far as work you feel you want to do and personalities and leadership with whom you will be working.

I would suggest that no one could reasonably expect you to not take the dream job and although the first employer might be a little miffed at you, it is not disloyal or does not show bad character to politely contact them and tell them that you have an offer from an employer that you believe fits you better.

There is no difference. We should all get over it and let the chips fall where they may and encourage the kids that do become razorbacks and cheer against those that don't on Saturday in the fall.

I posted this in the recruiting forum but it fits here too. It cut a little of the beginning off but you get the idea. We want to hold these kids to a higher standard than ourselves because they are there for our entertainment. The part of their brains that makes decisions hasn't even completed developing. Kind of like message board posters.

Cinco de Hogo

Coaches are mercenaries paid to coach one year at a time.  That's the way it has always been.  Players are supposed to commit to the school and stay 4/5 years and earn a degree.  Everything else that happens is gray areas based on dealing with humans.  Myself, I still expect loyalty to the school you choose.

Pig in the Pokey

guess you don't hold him accountable for being a hypocrite, though. The dude came to A&M from a school where he was still under contract...

BornaHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 05, 2016, 10:34:19 am

The tweet was shortly after Pittman went to be with Chaney at Georgia! A well timed tweet from a HOG perspective!   WPS    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:   GHG
Born a HOG and will die a HOG, but that's not the only way to become a HOG

BPsTheMan

RME

So if a 4* or 5* guy decommitted from A&M, LSU, Alabama, etc. and flipped to Arkansas, would you "a commitment is a commitment" guys still be perturbed by a 17/18 year old making his biggest life choice to date?

Didn't think so.

oldbear

It is also nuts that we think nothing of coaches going to a different or better job and get on these kids for decommitting. Even more so when you see that many of those coaches are on multi-year contracts with buy outs and at least until recently, the scholarships were only guaranteed for a year and most programs have no problem pulling offers when they find someone they deem better.

Hilarious hypocrisy.

Hogs33

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

navyhog24

More fuel to the fire...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/tate-martell-sister-texasam

Martel says aTm fans are on his little sister's twitter saying mean things to her

longpig

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 06, 2016, 01:53:47 pm
More fuel to the fire...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/tate-martell-sister-texasam

Martel says aTm fans are on his little sister's twitter saying mean things to her

See what you've done now, Moorehead?
Don't be scared, be smart.