Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should guys that go undrafted be allowed to return to college?

Started by bigpigpimpin, May 01, 2016, 10:03:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 05, 2016, 10:15:11 pm
Can anyone offer a rational basis for having different rules for different college sports? 

Is the amateur/professional distinction still the dividing line between being college eligible or disqualified?

In general, do the rules favor the athlete, the colleges, or the professionals? 
all good questions.  I think right now the rules are meant to favor colleges.  but its not like the pros wouldnt get what they want in a negotiation with the NCAA.  I don't know why there is different rules for different sports.  its seems very strange.

the way I see it, is the NFL has a demand for new players, Players are the product that the Colleges Manufacture from the raw talent available from the general public.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hogsolo

We give second chances to felons all the time.   Seems a second chance for declaring too soon should be a given.

code red

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 01:17:57 pm
and of course he does.  but then you got a guy like kirkland who everyone expected to go early since he stepped on campus, but it turns out he wasn't ready.

sure its tough luck.  but in an ideal world these guys should at least be able to come back and finish their degree, even if they are no longer eligible for football. 
Well....I guess I would argue.  Why can't they come back?  Most are getting 125,000 guaranteed.  And signing for at least 2 mill over 4?  I'd say they can afford it.  These guys will be fine.  Take Tyler for example.  He seems to be snatching up ever opportunity in sight.  From advertisements for BBQ to endorsing travel trailers.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 01:17:57 pm
in an ideal world these guys should at least be able to come back and finish their degree, even if they are no longer eligible for football. 

I guess we live in an ideal world then because they CAN come back and finish their degree and aren't eligible to play football.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RME

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 06, 2016, 11:40:31 am
I guess we live in an ideal world then because they CAN come back and finish their degree and aren't eligible to play football.

Yeah...I don't really follow with the whole "stay and get your degree" thing.

1.) If they're willing to enter the draft as an underclassman, do you really think they care THAT much about getting their degree at the moment?

2.) As you said, it's not like you can never go back and finish up. You can sit in Kazakhstan and finish a degree from the U of A nowadays.

These guys who declare want money. They don't care about their degree. And that's 100% okay because it's their choice.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 06, 2016, 11:40:31 am
I mean on scholarship, but point taken.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

LJHOG

Just move the time for a player to declare to closer to draft day.  That way he should have a good idea of his draft status.  This would have helped Kirkland immensely.  But then again there's no guarantee he'd do better next year.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: LJHOG on May 07, 2016, 03:42:38 pm
Just move the time for a player to declare to closer to draft day.  That way he should have a good idea of his draft status.  This would have helped Kirkland immensely.  But then again there's no guarantee he'd do better next year.

With National signing day usually the first Wednesday of February, I'm afraid that option would result in unfair recruiting uncertainties for college teams.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IAMHogholio on May 05, 2016, 11:16:54 pm
We give second chances to felons all the time.   Seems a second chance for declaring too soon should be a given.

I like analogies as much as anyone but that is not a good one. Those felons are usually on parole and probations. Should we do that for athletes?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 09, 2016, 08:40:29 am
I like analogies as much as anyone but that is not a good one. Those felons are usually on parole and probations. Should we do that for athletes?

Just so I don't misunderstand, you think that convicts have a right to a second chance but undrafted collegiate athletes don't?

And I don't have a problem with all athletes being on probation the moment they sign with a school.  Let's face it...the most reputable schools do already.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Inhogswetrust

May 09, 2016, 12:45:37 pm #110 Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 06:25:19 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on May 09, 2016, 12:21:49 pm
Just so I don't misunderstand, you think that convicts have a right to a second chance but undrafted collegiate athletes don't?

And I don't have a problem with all athletes being on probation the moment they sign with a school.  Let's face it...the most reputable schools do already.

The convict should have to serve their complete sentence. 40 years should mean 40 years behind bars, not 20. The athletes CAN and sometimes DO go back to school. Who said they had to have athletics to go to school. Nobody. Before anyone pipes up and says they can't afford it there are ways to pay for school without athletic scholarships. Walk-ons do it and regular non athletic students do it. Convicted felons out on "parole" also don't always get to do everything other citizens can do. For example I've managed businesses that had to have drivers. IF they were convicted of certain types of crimes they were not eligible to drive nor be hired as one.

SamBuckhart

Set the players free. If they want to come back, let them. Most are just trying to help their family by going pro. I don't know about repaying the money. That's a problem. Might be a good idea to sign an exit interview with the head coach. That should be mandatory for all leaving early. At one point they are going to have to own their decision.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

PorkSoda

Players considering leaving early should watch this before deciding

What's in the box?

RzRbAcK18

Ok I am admitting to skipping to page 3 of the thread so excuse me if this has already been suggested but here me out.

What if when a player becomes eligible we allow them to enter the draft. If they are not drafted they are allowed to return to the team, however, they lose their scholarship and must assume a walk on roll for 1 year. Option B would be to try and get a free agent deal.

To me this fits because the player has to decide himself if he thinks he is ready, and is he willing to give up a scholarship. If he bets on himself and goes and doesn't get drafted then he must obtain student loans / financial aid to pay for his 1 year and if he manages to refrain from injury, he can boost his draft stock and the loans will get paid off anyways.

So say the draft is April 21st-23rd, if the player goes undrafted he has until the following Monday to make a decision. Go for free agency or go back to school.

Problems I see in this scenario:

1. To many players on the roster, if say every Junior declared and then wanted a walk on roll, you would have way to many players. Solution: only allow a minimum number of walk on spots to undrafted players. If each team only gets 3 of those walkons a year, that adds to the players gamble. He can declare, not get drafted, and then not have a walk on spot. It would be the coaches discretion on who they allow to come back.

2. NFL teams come calling for a player at the last minute for a free agent spot and the player ditches school for the money. Imagine a player just not showing up one day because the flippin Raiders called the night before. Solutions: Remove the players NFL eligibility if he chooses walk on. Add a stipulation that they must wait 1 year before joining the league via Draft or free agency.

3. I am leaving this blank for the Hogville experts and big meany heads to fill in for me.

PorkSoda

Honestly that sounds too complicated and doesn't really solve any problems.  I don't really think any former star players are going to be stoked about walking on.  they might as well try to get a gig in the CFL.

the main problems with allowing undrafted players to return is

first, if you allow a player to come back and play on scholarship it that puts coaches in a bind because they already promised that scholarship to a new kid who signed in February. 

secondly, you can't force a school to take them back, so it could create a market for schools to re-recruit those players to a different school.  so essentially you will have a market like JUCO's except for 'one n dones'

as far as getting degrees:

A player could already come back and get their degree, though not play football if they choose.  if their grades were good enough, I'm sure they could apply for an academic scholarship.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.