Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC still king

Started by PorkSoda, May 01, 2016, 12:47:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HamSammich

You should get yourself a nice shiny "we are king" badge.

bigdaddyhawg

And this was a down year for SEC production.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hoglady

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 01, 2016, 05:47:31 am
And this was a down year for SEC production.

It was a down year in the earlier rounds of the draft, for sure.
But the SEC cleaned up in the late rounds.
I'm still amazed at the draft that OSU had especially so many going in the early rounds.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hoglady on May 01, 2016, 06:47:50 am
I'm still amazed at the draft that OSU had especially so many going in the early rounds.

The five best recruiting grounds are Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Southern California, in no particular order.

And UM can definitely recruit.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hoglady on May 01, 2016, 06:47:50 am

Many had OSU as preseason favorites to repeat as champs. They were loaded and under performed badly considering the number of great athletes they had. UM can recruit and OSU has a historically great program.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Arazorbackguy1

Yeah, but e all know why the SEC won...  #wheresmymoneycoach
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on May 01, 2016, 09:07:28 am
Yeah, but e all know why the SEC won...  #wheresmymoneycoach

And you don't think OSU, Michigan, FSU, Clemson, USC, et al do exactly the same thing?

Hogarusa

Yay, SEC.  Ohio State did work
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

bennyl08

At the begining of the season, people mocked the idea that Georgia had an easier schedule than Ohio State. Ohio State faced teams that produced 36 draft picks this season. Georgia faced a cumulative 34. Obviously not ever player who has NFL talent got drafted this draft, but OSU's schedule had more and was more spread out. UGA played more teams with no NFL draft picks and had 19/34 coming from 3 teams, 2 of which they lost badly to.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Bubba's Bruisers

Essentially, tOSU Finally had a respectable schedule.  It cost them.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

BR

May 01, 2016, 02:19:02 pm #11 Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:44:43 am by BR
Here's a breakdown by conference and by school for the 2016 NFL Draft
51 – SEC- -- Alabama (7), Florida (7), Arkansas (5), Ole Miss (5), LSU (5), Georgia (5), Mississippi State (3), Texas A&M (3), Auburn (3), South Carolina (3), Missouri (3), Kentucky (1), Vanderbilt (1) (NO TENNESSEE)

47 -- Big Ten -- Ohio State (12), Penn State (5), Michigan State (5), Maryland (3), Nebraska (4), Illinois (3), Indiana (3), Rutgers (1), Michigan (3), Wisconsin (2), Minnesota (2), Northwestern (2), Purdue (1), Iowa (1)

32 -- Pac-12 -- UCLA -8), USC (4), Stanford (5), Cal (4), Oregon (2), Oregon State (1), Utah (1), Washington State (1), Arizona State (2), Arizona (2), Washington (2)
27 -- ACC -- Clemson (9), Florida State (2), NC State (3),  Louisville (1), Miami (2), Pittsburg (1), Georgia Tech (2), Virginia Tech (2), Boston College (2), Virginia (1), Syracuse (1)

26 -- Big 12 -- West Virginia (5), TCU (5), Oklahoma State (1), Baylor (6), Oklahoma (4), Kansas State (1), Texas Tech (3), Texas (1)

10 -- Conference USA -- Louisiana Tech (3), Western Kentucky (3), Middle Tenn State (1), Southern Miss (2), UTSA (1),

10 -- AAC -- Houston (3), Memphis (1), Temple (3), Navy (1),  Cincinnati (2),

8 -- Independents -- Notre Dame (7), BYU (1)

9--Mountain West-- Boise State (3), Utah State (2), Colorado State (2), San Jose State (2),

6---MAC--- Western Michigan (2), Akron (1), Central Mich (1), Eastern Mich (1), UMass (1),

3----Sun Belt -- App State (1), Georgia Southern (1), Louisiana-Monroe (1)

OTHERS: North Dakota State (2), Eastern Kentucky (1), Samford (1), South Carolina State (2), North Carolina Central (1), Southern Utah (2), Northern Iowa (1), Princeton (1), Grand Valley State (1),  West Alabama (1), Midwestern State (1), Harvard (1), , Montana (1), William & Mary (1), Southeastern Louisiana (1), Eastern Ill (1),  Central Arkansas (1), Sam Houston State (1), Maine (1), Montana State (1)

1--- Canada---  David Onyemata
1---Germany--- Moritz Boehringer
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

bennyl08

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on May 01, 2016, 02:05:23 pm
Essentially, tOSU Finally had a respectable schedule.  It cost them.

10 picks in the first 3 rounds, wasn't it? They were a much better team than Oklahoma last year, but they lost to Mich St at home, without Cook even. Oklahoma lost to a bad Texas at a neutral site. Oklahoma faced a total of 23 nfl draft picks in the regular season before adding nearly 50% to that total alone in the blowout by Clemson.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: BR on May 01, 2016, 02:19:02 pm
Here's a breakdown by conference and by school for the 2016 NFL Draft
51 – SEC- -- Alabama (7), Florida (7), Arkansas (5), Ole Miss (5), LSU (5), Georgia (5), Mississippi State (3), Texas A&M (3), Auburn (3), South Carolina (3), Missouri (3), Kentucky (1), Vanderbilt (1) (NO TENNESSEE)

47 -- Big Ten -- Ohio State (12), Penn State (5), Michigan State (5), Maryland (3), Nebraska (4), Illinois (3), Indiana (3), Rutgers (1), Michigan (3), Wisconsin (2), Minnesota (2), Northwestern (2), Purdue (1), Iowa (1)

32 -- Pac-12 -- UCLA -8), USC (4), Stanford (5), Cal (4), Oregon (2), Oregon State (1), Utah (1), Washington State (1), Arizona State (2), Arizona (2), Washington (2)
27 -- ACC -- Clemson (9), Florida State (2), NC State (3),  Louisville (1), Miami (2), Pittsburg (1), Georgia Tech (2), Virginia Tech (2), Boston College (2), Virginia (1), Syracuse (1)

26 -- Big 12 -- West Virginia (5), TCU (5), Oklahoma State (1), Baylor (6), Oklahoma (4), Kansas State (1), Texas Tech (3), Texas (1)

10 -- Conference USA -- Louisiana Tech (3), Western Kentucky (3), Middle Tenn State (1), Southern Miss (2), UTSA (1),

10 -- AAC -- Houston (3), Memphis (1), Temple (3), Navy (1),  Cincinnati (2),

8 -- Independents -- Notre Dame (7), BYU (1)

9--Mountain West-- Boise State (3), Utah State (2), Colorado State (2), San Jose State (2),

6---MAC--- Western Michigan (2), Akron (1), Central Mich (1), Eastern Mich (1), UMass (1),

3----Sun Belt -- App State (1), Georgia Southern (1), Louisiana State (1)

OTHERS: North Dakota State (2), Eastern Kentucky (1), Samford (1), South Carolina State (2), North Carolina Central (1), Southern Utah (2), Northern Iowa (1), Princeton (1), Grand Valley State (1),  West Alabama (1), Midwestern State (1), Harvard (1), , Montana (1), William & Mary (1), Southeastern Louisiana (1), Eastern Ill (1),  Central Arkansas (1), Sam Houston State (1), Maine (1), Montana State (1)

1--- Canada---  David Onyemata
1---Germany--- Moritz Boehringer

SEC: No school with more than 13.7% of the conferences draft picks. 6 teams with at least 4 picks (all 6 with 5 or more), but 1 team with zero picks.
Big 10: OSU with over 25% of the conference's picks. 4 with with 4 picks or more. Every team had at least 1 pick.
PAC 12: UCLA with 25% of conference picks. 4 teams with at least 4 picks. 1 team with none.
ACC: Clemson with 33% of conference's picks. only team with 4 or more picks.
Big 12: Baylor with 23% of conference picks. 4 teams over 4 picks, 2 teams (at least) with no picks.
Others are others.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 01, 2016, 02:23:20 pm
10 picks in the first 3 rounds, wasn't it? They were a much better team than Oklahoma last year, but they lost to Mich St at home, without Cook even. Oklahoma lost to a bad Texas at a neutral site. Oklahoma faced a total of 23 nfl draft picks in the regular season before adding nearly 50% to that total alone in the blowout by Clemson.

And?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on May 01, 2016, 08:21:54 am
The five best recruiting grounds are Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Southern California, in no particular order.

And UM can definitely recruit.
Georgia > Pennsylvania or Ohio
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

Swineasaur

The SEC, and even us did great, but Ohio St. did amazing thus draft. Can't believe they didn't win their conference with all that talent.

Hogarusa

Ohio St went 12-1 last year.  like their title year, they had 1 no show.  Unlike that year, it wasnt forgiven.  Its not who you lose to, its when you lose

Doug

Quote from: BR3----Sun Belt -- App State (1), Georgia Southern (1), Louisiana State (1)
"Louisiana State".  Gee, I thought LSU was Louisiana State University.

(ULM Warhawks, AKA Louisiana-Monroe, FYI)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

gmarv

Quote from: Hogarusa on May 01, 2016, 05:08:43 pm
Ohio St went 12-1 last year.  like their title year, they had 1 no show.  Unlike that year, it wasnt forgiven.  Its not who you lose to, its when you lose
osu also played down to their competition,they just didn,t look like a contender against at least a couple of bad teams.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Poppa Tart on May 01, 2016, 04:45:32 pm
Georgia > Pennsylvania or Ohio

Probably. At least equal to.

bennyl08

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on May 01, 2016, 03:34:57 pm
And?

Ohio State had the same record as Oklahoma and played a heckuvalot tougher schedule than Oklahoma.

In short, that post is saying that Oklahoma did not deserve to be in the playoffs but OSU also made mistakes of their own and put them in a position to be left out of the playoff.

Hogarusa

Quote from: gmarv on May 01, 2016, 06:16:22 pm
osu also played down to their competition,they just didn,t look like a contender against at least a couple of bad teams.

I get it, also won 8 games by 17+ points. Bama was also forgiven for a home loss. Lucky for them it was in September.  Its not who you lose to but when you lose.  Thats the system

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bennyl08 on May 01, 2016, 09:44:50 pm
Ohio State had the same record as Oklahoma and played a heckuvalot tougher schedule than Oklahoma.

In short, that post is saying that Oklahoma did not deserve to be in the playoffs but OSU also made mistakes of their own and put them in a position to be left out of the playoff.

Probably so, and one could have probably said the same about tOSU the year before.  The loss cost them a spot in the BIG10 championship game. It ended their playoff hopes.  It evens out, because I don't think they should have made ot to playoff previous season.  They got in when they probably shouldn't have, and didn't get in when maybe they should have.