Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kirkland Undrafted- Didn't see that coming

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, April 30, 2016, 04:30:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

downsouthhawg72

Sometimes it's better to not get drafted than to get drafted late. He at least he can pick the best spot for him instead of a team picking him & putting him in a bad situation
DownSouthHawg

songofthesword

As an o lineman there is no such thing as a backup guard on the NFL

You either are a starter

Or you can play more than one position as the NFL teams go into game day with 7 active and the backup has to be versatile

Or he's not gonna make the team

That's why ragnow will play in the NFL for years, he can legit play all three positions even if he's not a starter

threeNout

"head ducking"  and "waist bending"   I guess that's the "small hands" of offensive lineman.

hope he is able to overcome it and make a team.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: songofthesword on April 30, 2016, 07:07:16 pm
As an o lineman there is no such thing as a backup guard on the NFL

You either are a starter

Or you can play more than one position as the NFL teams go into game day with 7 active and the backup has to be versatile

Or he's not gonna make the team

That's why ragnow will play in the NFL for years, he can legit play all three positions even if he's not a starter
they dont get it. they think you have a 3 deep in the league.

I agree about Ragnow, and also think THAT IS WHY unless you are a bonafide day 1 guy in the draft as a Lineman you ALWAYS come back for your senior season (and another if u can get it!)
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: threeNout on April 30, 2016, 07:09:19 pm
"head ducking"  and "waist bending"   I guess that's the "small hands" of offensive lineman.

hope he is able to overcome it and make a team.

Actually, each is the equivalent.
Having both would be like having small hands and one eye for a QB.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

TNhawgfan

Mississippi state and auburn each had two underclassmen declare and not get drafted
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hog N Bama

Kirkland always seemed like a good kid. I wish him the best and feel for him right now.
I wish he had at least listened to Coach B. NEVER turn down free professional advice in life. Hoping Denver gets a chance to play and prove himself.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: TNhawgfan on April 30, 2016, 07:15:47 pm
Mississippi state and auburn each had two underclassmen declare and not get drafted
spread guys. This will become more and more common.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

songofthesword

Jerry Franklin is the only udfa from Arkansas besides Peters of course still in the league he's carvedbout a place as a backup in Detroit

Nafunu32

Looks like Kirkland signed a deal with Oakland.

pigskenG

Personally, I don't understand the need for the NFL combine as it is done now.  They have at least three years of film on each player, all they need is to do the measurables to get their exact height, weight, ect. Check them medically, and do the interviews. I try to watch it on the NFL network, but I get tired of listening to all the talking and opinions from everyone about their favorite players. And then they don't even show all the players.  Mayock doesn't know near as much as he thinks he does. I've heard him say that coaches call him.  Really.?
Congrats to Denver, he signed FA contract with the Raiders !!! He's got his chance.

songofthesword

I don't know if you guys caught it today but they drafted Swanson's replacement in Detroit. He was just drafted. The NFL isn't [CENSORED] around lol

songofthesword

What frustrates me about him is he just needed a year of real coaching. It's apparent looking at how Cooper from UNC busted in the NFL and the feedback about our lunevouttman is just a ** o line coach who can recruit. A year with Sanderson changes his entire familys lives. It's really that simple. Get coached by a NFL line coach for a year, go collect !millions. He's athletic enough that's never been a problem. He's not technically sound enough.

Bubba's Bruisers

Wasn't that long ago that we were arguing what NFL position he would play.  Then Didn't even get drafted.  Did not see that coming.  The other Razorbacks got drafted about where I expected them to go, but figured Denver was a 3rd or 4th round guy.

Who in the world was advising is kid?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on April 30, 2016, 07:39:36 pm
Wasn't that long ago that we were arguing what NFL position he would play.  Then Didn't even get drafted.  Did not see that coming.  The other Razorbacks got drafted about where I expected them to go, but figured Denver was a 3rd or 4th round guy.

Who in the world was advising is kid?
Probably some of these idiots on hogville that only think about money. ;)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

carolinahogger

RazorPiggie

In my opinion he played much better year before last when he was at guard.

mhsbc59

to those that think AC should have come back. Yall are being selfish, if he came back he could have entertained us and had a chance to get some all time Arkansas and SEC records.  But that's not what would be best for him.  His stock would not rise by coming back.  and if he came back and didn't get injured scout would be saying how much tread is left on the tires.  RB is now a position that if you want to go pro you do it as a jr if you can period that's just the way it is folks.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: songofthesword on April 30, 2016, 07:23:00 pm
Jerry Franklin is the only udfa from Arkansas besides Peters of course still in the league he's carvedbout a place as a backup in Detroit
But but but Hogville said DK gets a try-out and had NOTHING to gain from his senior season!
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Nafunu32 on April 30, 2016, 07:24:10 pm
Looks like Kirkland signed a deal with Oakland.
poor guy. his one shot to make the league is a tryout with the league's most dysfunctional team. And he doesn't even have his degree to fall back on. When will these kids learn to stay in school. So much bad advice from people saying "leave early". It's stupid.
@Slackaveli

Beaverfever

Quote from: mhsbc59 on April 30, 2016, 10:03:14 pm
to those that think AC should have come back. Yall are being selfish, if he came back he could have entertained us and had a chance to get some all time Arkansas and SEC records.  But that's not what would be best for him.  His stock would not rise by coming back.  and if he came back and didn't get injured scout would be saying how much tread is left on the tires.  RB is now a position that if you want to go pro you do it as a jr if you can period that's just the way it is folks.
IMO it pretty much comes down to whether you are very likely to get a roster spot on an NFL squad.  Williams, Collins, and Henry all were very likely so they made good choices.  Kirkland was going to have to really earn his spot and is even more behind the eight ball now.  It looks like he made a bad decision. 

hawginbigd1

Just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true or factual.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 30, 2016, 10:43:15 pm
ding ding ding.

It comes down to development. Anderson would have helped him a lot. Now, if he played for Butch Jones or Gus, hell, then it might not matter b/c you aren't going to get good coaching anyway. But here? Yeah, ALWAYS come back for your season year and get better (and get a degree, and get at least one more year in a uniform b/c there are no guarantees). Even Hunter could have upped his stock. This weird new 'leave early' Hogville theory is Hogwash. unless you are sure fire 1st round you come back.
@Slackaveli

mhsbc59

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 30, 2016, 10:43:15 pm

And what makes it fact that if AC came back he would be better off or improve his stock
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

mhsbc59

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 30, 2016, 10:53:21 pm
ding ding ding.

It comes down to development. Anderson would have helped him a lot. Now, if he played for Butch Jones or Gus, hell, then it might not matter b/c you aren't going to get good coaching anyway. But here? Yeah, ALWAYS come back for your season year and get better (and get a degree, and get at least one more year in a uniform b/c there are no guarantees). Even Hunter could have upped his stock. This weird new 'leave early' Hogville theory is Hogwash. unless you are sure fire 1st round you come back.

I tell you what when you can prove with facts and data your point ill stop talking bout ..... you cant so i wont

I have said All along DK wasnt ready!!! But AC, HH, and JWILL made this best choices for them none of them gain anything football wise by coming back.  Espically JWILL, and AC with the way RB are vallued in the NFL today

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: mhsbc59 on April 30, 2016, 11:04:51 pm

I tell you what when you can prove with facts and data your point ill stop talking bout ..... you cant so i wont

I have said All along DK wasnt ready!!! But AC, HH, and JWILL made this best choices for them none of them gain anything football wise by coming back.  Espically JWILL, and AC with the way RB are vallued in the NFL today
i'm sorry, bro, but you got lucky to be able to say that. they were 6th rounders; they coulda missed out. They come back and could have been drafted 2nd or 3rd round. Or in DK's case, drafted anywhere. It has alwats been the case ON EARTH that there is no replacement for experience. That is the proof that another year of coaching (from a NFL position coach at that) would have helped him. But, by all means, carry on. I never said stop. that was the other cat.
@Slackaveli

kp72204

I hope DK has a better shot than Tyler Wilson had. The Raiders have gotten better so.................. I don't think it matters if AC, JW, or HH came back outside of helping us next year. However, I did think Tretola would have gone higher.

SamBuckhart

Go DK ! Will be pulling for you in Oakland.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

rricha

he have stayed at guard feet not good enough to play tackle in the nfl

SEdrhawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 30, 2016, 05:09:18 pm
by working at Sonic? He shoulda stayed, hell, he might have even gotten to play pro football. But , even if he couldn't develop enough for that, at least he would have got to play the game he loved for one more year. Damn shame. He may never even don the pads in a game again.

Funny that in listing all the reasons he should have stayed, the college degree never came up.  Even if he came back and blew his knee out in the first game, he would have a college degree to fall back on.  Poor decision by this kid.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: SEdrhawg on May 01, 2016, 08:50:38 am
Funny that in listing all the reasons he should have stayed, the college degree never came up.  Even if he came back and blew his knee out in the first game, he would have a college degree to fall back on.  Poor decision by this kid.

So once they declare to the NFL they are not allowed back on campus to earn a degree? That makes sense why so many early departures never gain their degree later on.

[sarcasm off]
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: trphog on April 30, 2016, 06:44:01 pm
That's a borderline epidemic!

I wonder how many of those 30 were not making it in school or simply didn't like school or had family pressure or issues.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

songofthesword

If you are calling the raiders dysfunctional still you don't follow the NFL still. 

mhsbc59

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 30, 2016, 11:43:36 pm
i'm sorry, bro, but you got lucky to be able to say that. they were 6th rounders; they coulda missed out. They come back and could have been drafted 2nd or 3rd round. Or in DK's case, drafted anywhere. It has alwats been the case ON EARTH that there is no replacement for experience. That is the proof that another year of coaching (from a NFL position coach at that) would have helped him. But, by all means, carry on. I never said stop. that was the other cat.

First If you look back i always said DK should have come back.

Now you stay in school guys for AC, JWILL, and HH.  Ya ll still think we live in a world economy Pre 2000.  A college degree and 5$ will get you a coffee.  College degree dint really mean jack any anymore.  Most trade skill jobs have a better earning potential than a new college grad.  Gone are the day that when you go to an interview it matters what degree you have. Also college educated people are forced out of the work place faster these days by younger more trade school educated folks especially these with computer skills. So that kill that argument there.  Baby boomers need to go on do what there parents told them and grow up seems y'all never did and have taken this country down with you.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on May 01, 2016, 09:04:45 am
So once they declare to the NFL they are not allowed back on campus to earn a degree? That makes sense why so many early departures never gain their degree later on.

[sarcasm off]
They are allowed back, they just have to pay the tuition, housing, etc. No more free ride on athletic scholarship dime.

Cure

Quote from: EASYBONE1 on April 30, 2016, 06:50:39 pm
Sometimes it's better to not get drafted than to get drafted late. He at least he can pick the best spot for him instead of a team picking him & putting him in a bad situation
Spot on.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: mhsbc59 on May 01, 2016, 10:02:25 am
First If you look back i always said DK should have come back.

Now you stay in school guys for AC, JWILL, and HH.  Ya ll still think we live in a world economy Pre 2000.  A college degree and 5$ will get you a coffee.  College degree dint really mean jack any anymore.  Most trade skill jobs have a better earning potential than a new college grad.  Gone are the day that when you go to an interview it matters what degree you have. Also college educated people are forced out of the work place faster these days by younger more trade school educated folks especially these with computer skills. So that kill that argument there.  Baby boomers need to go on do what there parents told them and grow up seems y'all never did and have taken this country down with you.
i didn't mention the degree for that very reason. I mention A. he gets one more year of football B. Gets cross-trained one more year on the line C. Is one more year removed form being a kid (emotional/mental/physical development).
@Slackaveli

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 01, 2016, 10:10:11 am
i didn't mention the degree for that very reason. I mention A. he gets one more year of football B. Gets cross-trained one more year on the line C. Is one more year removed form being a kid (emotional/mental/physical development).

20-21, we make a lot of bad decision at that age, hopefully he can overcome it, like the rest of us have. DK has lots of talent, he just needs to focus it, which can be said of 99.9% of the players.

carolinahogger

Quote from: mhsbc59 on May 01, 2016, 10:02:25 am
Ya ll still think we live in a world economy Pre 2000.  A college degree and 5$ will get you a coffee.  College degree dint really mean jack any anymore. 

Says the guy who doesn't have a degree...  I'm judging by your substandard use of the language.

You are parroting stuff you read on the internet.  I have two daughters who have university degrees.  The first one used that degree to get into medical school.  She's a pediatrician now.  The second one started with a consulting company in a medical field, making $70K +.

But a degree won't get you anywhere now.  Life is so hard for young people who don't want to put in the work...

WilsonHog

Hindsight is always 20-20. People of all ages - not just young adults - make decisions all of the time that don't work out. No one on this board knows what Kirkland's thought process was that informed his decision.

I wish him well; he has to do what he feels is best for him. I have no dog in the fight, no skin in the game. To me, he was "#55, our left tackle." We had those before we knew his name, we'll have them after.

mhsbc59

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 01, 2016, 10:10:11 am

And i am in agreement with DK as i have said many times im just saying AC, JWILL, and HH made the best choice for them not us they have nothing left to prove at this level and should be paid to play football for people entertainment

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 01, 2016, 10:26:51 am
Hindsight is always 20-20. People of all ages - not just young adults - make decisions all of the time that don't work out. No one on this board knows what Kirkland's thought process was that informed his decision.

I wish him well; he has to do what he feels is best for him. I have no dog in the fight, no skin in the game. To me, he was "#55, our left tackle." We had those before we knew his name, we'll have them after.
THAT'S why some of us tried to warn him (and others). Some people have foresight.

I feel like his thought process was he read 5 Murph articles about himself then called an agent. Could be wrong, tho.
@Slackaveli

PorkRinds

There's really no need to trash DK just to celebrate what you see as being right. You don't know him or his situation.  In some situations some money is better than no money.  Hard to bash a kid for chasing his dream, even if it's a different path than the one you think he should take.

PorkRinds

MissippHog

No way to really know for sure, is it?  But you sure seem to act like you know. 

Problem is, RB's are not the commodity in the NFL that they once were.  Good thing for AC is 1) the Seahawks still value the RB and 2) their starting RB just retired. 

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 01, 2016, 10:41:19 am
THAT'S why some of us tried to warn him (and others). Some people have foresight.

I feel like his thought process was he read 5 Murph articles about himself then called an agent. Could be wrong, tho.

Lol, why would he listen to you or anyone else on HV?

FANONTHEHILL

Denver has signed with Oakland.  He's in the NFL.  Would he have been better off coming back, most likely. But he didn't.  He has a long uphill road, but he's under contract with an NFL team.  He has his chance. It's the same way Jason Peters enters the league.  You never know what could happen. Don't count Denver out.  Even if he ends up on a practice squad, he can develop and earn a roster spot..  I wish him the best.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 01, 2016, 10:56:49 am
There's really no need to trash DK just to celebrate what you see as being right. You don't know him or his situation.  In some situations some money is better than no money.  Hard to bash a kid for chasing his dream, even if it's a different path than the one you think he should take.
I didn't bash him. I do think it was mighty immature to make that decision w/o even talking to CBB, but that might just be me.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on May 01, 2016, 11:25:14 am
Lol, why would he listen to you or anyone else on HV?
He wouldn't. He didn't even take the time to LET CBB TALK TO HIM./ Why are you glossing over this point?
@Slackaveli