Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kirkland Undrafted- Didn't see that coming

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, April 30, 2016, 04:30:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on May 01, 2016, 11:57:39 am
Denver has signed with Oakland.  He's in the NFL.  Would he have been better off coming back, most likely. But he didn't.  He has a long uphill road, but he's under contract with an NFL team.  He has his chance. It's the same way Jason Peters enters the league.  You never know what could happen. Don't count Denver out.  Even if he ends up on a practice squad, he can develop and earn a roster spot..  I wish him the best.
nevermind that his odds are in the single percentages, huh? He could have upped those odds to 25-30% with a year under Anderson. DK didn't even LISTEN TO THE PITCH. Good news for us is now CBB has his cautionary tale for the other guys. He thought he'd get it last year but DP actually stuck. That probably worked against DK.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

WilsonHog

The self-importance of some fans amazes me.

Some think "Fan" is short for fanatic. I think it translates to "thinks he has way more of a stake in the program than he actually does."

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 01, 2016, 12:24:53 pm
nevermind that his odds are in the single percentages, huh? He could have upped those odds to 25-30% with a year under Anderson. DK didn't even LISTEN TO THE PITCH. Good news for us is now CBB has his cautionary tale for the other guys. He thought he'd get it last year but DP actually stuck. That probably worked against DK.

It is water under the bridge now. All we can do is root for him to succeed and hope this one decision doesn't alter his career choices in a dramatic way.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

HamSammich

The real problem was him going to oakland. They have probably the second best O-line in the NFL. Whoever is advising him needs to be sued.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 01, 2016, 12:40:04 pm

Some think "Fan" is short for fanatic. I think it translates to "thinks he has way more of a stake in the program than he actually does."

No kidding! The only analogies I can think of would be someone that is a fan of a musician or actor. They don't try to tell them what music to write and sing/perform or what movies to act in.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 01, 2016, 12:22:55 pm
He wouldn't. He didn't even take the time to LET CBB TALK TO HIM./ Why are you glossing over this point?

I'm not, I just pointing out to you that he had already made up his mind, there wasn't any HV sage advice, or even talking to his HC to change his mind.

HamSammich

I mean seriously... I'm just sitting here shaking my head... Why in the HELL would his agent point him towards Oakland? He is not going to be able to even be a backup guard there.

Completely mind boggling.

I really feel for the kid. If he is serious about his football dream then hit the cfl and prove you are elite imo.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HamSammich on May 01, 2016, 12:53:06 pm
I mean seriously... I'm just sitting here shaking my head... Why in the HELL would his agent point him towards Oakland? He is not going to be able to even be a backup guard there.

I really feel for the kid. If he is serious about his football dream then hit the cfl and prove you are elite imo.

Thank you Mr. NFL team expert for who should play for whom or not...............................no wait............nevermind since you or I or nobody else posting on here is an expert on that I'd bet.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PonderinHog

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 01, 2016, 12:40:04 pm

And all this time I thought a fan was something that blew hot air.  Present company excluded, of course.   :-X

WilsonHog

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 01, 2016, 01:26:23 pm
And all this time I thought a fan was something that blew hot air.  Present company excluded, of course.   :-X

I like your definition, too.

I've been a Razorback fan since 1974. I figure my role to be watching/listening to the games and going to games when I can afford tickets. No different than being a fan of the St. Louis Cardinals or the Dallas Cowboys. If I get dissatisfied, stop. If I lose interest, stop.

If I wanted to be more involved than that, I should have chosen a career path to make that happen. :razorback:

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: hoglady on April 30, 2016, 06:03:50 pm
Most of these borderline guys leaving to help their family, really aren't helping their family at all.
Doing what is best for their long term career is what is best for their family, too.
It's a shame.
and the HOGLADY hits the nail on the head once again...this crap about leaving early for their families' is just that, crap. Just imagine what Skipper is thinking right now. He's got to be saying thank God I stayed another year.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Arazorbackguy1

I just wish undrafted kids could return to school. 
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

ChicoHog

Quote from: hoglady on April 30, 2016, 06:03:50 pm
Most of these borderline guys leaving to help their family, really aren't helping their family at all.
Doing what is best for their long term career is what is best for their family, too.
It's a shame.

Mainly it's because they just don't want to go to school.  Much more prevalent in basketball than football but at least in basketball they play over seas or in the D-league.  Football is more limited in job options. 

johnfanman

I find most of the posters in this thread just plain selfish. He made a decision and the Arkansas fan base should be cheering for him, not yelling "I told you so," on a football forum.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

panhandlepig

clutch

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 01, 2016, 04:48:34 pm
and the HOGLADY hits the nail on the head once again...this crap about leaving early for their families' is just that, crap. Just imagine what Skipper is thinking right now. He's got to be saying thank God I stayed another year.

I don't necessarily think it's crap. I think that a lot of them do leave thinking that they are doing so to provide for their family. A lot of these kids come from nothing, so any amount they can get right now seems better than playing for a year for free. Not always the best decision long term, but they are 20-22 year old kids who have really never had to think long term before.

Another thing to consider is that these are kids who have excelled at every level they've been at previously. They probably don't consider the fact that they might not be able to succeed at the next level as well.

As a fan it sucks to see a player leave early because you don't get that final year of watching them play for your team. I won't hold it against any of them though. I don't know their personal situations. I also know that it would have been awfully hard for me to resist the chance at a big payday as well at that age.

WilsonHog

Quote from: johnfanman on May 01, 2016, 05:15:17 pm
I find most of the posters in this thread just plain selfish. He made a decision and the Arkansas fan base should be cheering for him, not yelling "I told you so," on a football forum.

I don't believe for a second that their motivation is what's in Kirkland's best interest; more like what would be in their best interest as Hog fans.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: clutch on May 01, 2016, 05:25:41 pm
I don't necessarily think it's crap. I think that a lot of them do leave thinking that they are doing so to provide for their family. A lot of these kids come from nothing, so any amount they can get right now seems better than playing for a year for free. Not always the best decision long term, but they are 20-22 year old kids who have really never had to think long term before.

Another thing to consider is that these are kids who have excelled at every level they've been at previously. They probably don't consider the fact that they might not be able to succeed at the next level as well.

As a fan it sucks to see a player leave early because you don't get that final year of watching them play for your team. I won't hold it against any of them though. I don't know their personal situations. I also know that it would have been awfully hard for me to resist the chance at a big payday as well at that age.
Precisely why a player should listen to the coach and not some half-baked sports management firm. Why do I get the feeling that most of these guys first big payday will go to diamond earrings, a nice car with an even nicer garage to put the car in ?  After that,  yeah, maybe mom and pop get some scraps. I'm too cynical the older I get, but I remember what I was like when I was 22. I loved my parents, but the thought of sending them a portion of my check twice a month really didn't hit the front burner. I guess its just a part of growing up.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

rtr

Quote from: songofthesword on April 30, 2016, 07:23:00 pm
Jerry Franklin is the only udfa from Arkansas besides Peters of course still in the league he's carvedbout a place as a backup in Detroit
Jerry Franklin the master of scoop and score.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

That's an awfully specific number for something that's inherently unknowable.

mhsbc59

May 01, 2016, 10:05:45 pm #120 Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:29:23 pm by mhsbc59
Quote from: carolinahogger on May 01, 2016, 10:23:06 am
Says the guy who doesn't have a degree...  I'm judging by your substandard use of the language.

You are parroting stuff you read on the internet.  I have two daughters who have university degrees.  The first one used that degree to get into medical school.  She's a pediatrician now.  The second one started with a consulting company in a medical field, making $70K +.

But a degree won't get you anywhere now.  Life is so hard for young people who don't want to put in the work...

Usually not good to try and talk stuff about someone you know nothing about.  If you would like me to show you both of my degrees undergrad and graduate id be happy to show you. If your going to school to be in a medical field yes you will need degree.  How many of the players on college team are going into the medical maybe 2%. Even with degrees the world is still manly who you now to give u a leg up.  How many truly make it anywhere with out help from anyone.  But to call all people without college degrees lazy is asinine.

Also If you believe that the world has the same opportunities that existed 20-30 years ago your living a fantasy.  Americas economy is not growing and can not grow we are living in the 1930's again just with better government programs the only way out in my opinion is WWIII but we wont survive that.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

hei5manhog

I bet bielema is really sick for DK. On a human level. I thought he was a no brainier draftee. Really a bummer
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Pigdiana Jones

What the heck is this waist bending and head stuff? What's that all about?
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

STLhawg

I think many fans here are just a little bitter because Denver didn't have the respect to even meet with Coach BB before inking with an agent and declaring for the draft.  I know I felt that was big slight against his (now former) head coach.  Does this mean I am rooting against him -- no way!  He will always be a Razorback so I wish him continued success!!!  But at the same time, it is hard to not to point out his mistake.

mhsbc59

Quote from: Pigdiana Jones on May 01, 2016, 10:37:06 pm
What the heck is this waist bending and head stuff? What's that all about?

it means he doesn't use his legs well and bends his waist to get low instead of his knees which is why he would get beat by good pass rushers.  and ducking his head means he over extends and gets off balance
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

RedyorNot

Says the guy who doesn't have a degree...  I'm judging by your substandard use of the language.

You are parroting stuff you read on the internet.  I have two daughters who have university degrees.  The first one used that degree to get into medical school.  She's a pediatrician now.  The second one started with a consulting company in a medical field, making $70K +.

But a degree won't get you anywhere now.  Life is so hard for young people who don't want to put in the work...

You hit the nail on the head, to a point. Regardless if you have a degree or not, work ethic and ability is what makes you successful... I've seen plenty of lazy college grads. Higher education has its place, but only if the professional field necessitates it, such as your pediatrician daughter. I've managed to do quite well in the medical space without a degree simply because innate skills can't be taught, only fine tuned.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: mhsbc59 on May 02, 2016, 12:07:28 am
it means he doesn't use his legs well and bends his waist to get low instead of his knees which is why he would get beat by good pass rushers.  and ducking his head means he over extends and gets off balance

How do you know this?

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Hog N Bama on April 30, 2016, 07:16:52 pm
I wish he had at least listened to Coach B.
Yes, he should have. Might still have left but I'd feel better about it. Anyway, good luck to him, hope his decision works out.

ChitownHawg

His data is not complete. While SOME trade positions may have a higher starting salary - over a life time the degree earns more pay. While college may not be for everyone saying it is useless is dumb.

Come to Chitown with a high school degree and see what kind of job you get. A bachelor's degree is mandatory and in most cases to get the interview you better have a master's degree.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PonderinHog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on May 02, 2016, 12:26:02 am
How do you know this?
I think he played on the OL and was a coach in a previous life, before becoming an English professor...

Deep Shoat

How do you know this?
Because that's what it means?

He bends at the waist instead of flexing his hips and dropping his butt.  And he ducks his head instead of keeping his eyes up.

Watch some film, it's easy to see.
All Gas, No Brakes!

hei5manhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 02, 2016, 07:05:39 am
Because that's what it means?

He bends at the waist instead of flexing his hips and dropping his butt.  And he ducks his head instead of keeping his eyes up.

Watch some film, it's easy to see.

It's crazy that he was able to be considered one of the best in the SEC and our most "talented" OL with these major issues. He either wasn't taught (surely unlikely) or was thought he was too good and it didn't matter.
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: hei5manhog on May 02, 2016, 10:39:28 am
It's crazy that he was able to be considered one of the best in the SEC and our most "talented" OL with these major issues. He either wasn't taught (surely unlikely) or was thought he was too good and it didn't matter.

Waste-bending is hard to fix (not impossible at all; just takes effort)  Its innate.  People train to standard, but, as soon as they get tired, back to nature.  I know this from personal experience. 

PorkRinds

I, personally, feel like part of Kirkland's choice had to do with hurt feelings over the Pittman departure.  I could be way off base, but not even talking to CBB about it leads me to believe there may have been some hard feelings about the way it all went down.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 01, 2016, 12:56:23 pm
Thank you Mr. NFL team expert for who should play for whom or not...............................no wait............nevermind since you or I or nobody else posting on here is an expert on that I'd bet.
nevermind that he is right....
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: johnfanman on May 01, 2016, 05:15:17 pm
it's SELFISH to want the best for the kid? weird take, dude.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: clutch on May 01, 2016, 05:25:41 pm

i don't think you understand how the NFL works. He won't make the raiders. Then what? He could have been getting a year under Anderson. Now he's off to Sonic with no degree either. It was a dumb gamble.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

How do you know this?
it's pretty basic football to those who follow the NFL closely. It's technique. Pittman wasn't great at teaching that but Anderson is. That's why we wish DK would have gave it another year. Then he could claim to know G and T at a higher level and actually make a roster. It's a longshot now.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 02, 2016, 11:31:09 am
I, personally, feel like part of Kirkland's choice had to do with hurt feelings over the Pittman departure.  I could be way off base, but not even talking to CBB about it leads me to believe there may have been some hard feelings about the way it all went down.
DING DING DING DING DING. That's absolutely right and he never got to hear the pitch of what Anderson could/would do for him. And it is a huge mistake and may cost him his pro career.
@Slackaveli

Captain Morgan

I think moving Kirkland from RG to LT is the real reason why he didn't get drafted. The dufus Pittman should have just kept him at RG. That move by Pittman cost Kirkland and his family much money. I hope we can use this against the traitor Pittman in recruiting.

zebradynasty

Kirkland was always projected as a guard in the NFL but that transition form LT to G should not have scared teams away (happens all the time). Two things hurt DK. One, didn't have a particularly strong junior year. I think he's carrying too much weight. Two, he tested poorly at the combine and demonstrated poor technique on film. I was a little shocked at how far he had fallen but I knew the combine had hurt him. Really wished he could have stayed one more season and really worked on his body and techniques.

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 02, 2016, 11:43:20 am
it's pretty basic football to those who follow the NFL closely. It's technique. Pittman wasn't great at teaching that but Anderson is. That's why we wish DK would have gave it another year. Then he could claim to know G and T at a higher level and actually make a roster. It's a longshot now.
Anderson is great at teaching because he's the current coach.  When he leaves, he'll be trash like Pittman.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 01, 2016, 11:09:20 am
At some point recruits will notice that auburn does nothing to get them to the NFL. Gus' system is officially "High school".

Ricardo Louis, NFL draftee, agrees with you.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/5/2/11552986/nfl-draft-2016-auburn-gus-malzahn-ricardo-louis

PorkSoda

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on May 01, 2016, 05:03:22 pm
I just wish undrafted kids could return to school. 
I think it has to do with hiring an agent.  Is it basketball where they can enter the draft without hiring an agent, then giving them the option to come back?

then there is baseball where kids get drafted play professionally in the minor leagues, then some how are still eligibile to come back and play football if it doesn't work out.

surely there is some way they could work something out for football.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

everyone has to earn a roster spot no matter where they are drafted or free agent deal.  he's got the same shot all the new guys got.  hope it works out for him.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 02, 2016, 01:09:11 pm
everyone has to earn a roster spot no matter where they are drafted or free agent deal.  he's got the same shot all the new guys got.  hope it works out for him.

Yes, and no. If you're paying someone a signing bonus and they have a guaranteed salary, then they will have a better chance of making the roster.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Captain Morgan on May 02, 2016, 11:53:04 am
I think moving Kirkland from RG to LT is the real reason why he didn't get drafted. The dufus Pittman should have just kept him at RG. That move by Pittman cost Kirkland and his family much money. I hope we can use this against the traitor Pittman in recruiting.

I doubt that dufus could have made that move without checking with his boss first...................

DeltaBoy

May 02, 2016, 02:25:37 pm #147 Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:38:35 pm by DeltaBoy
Let this be a lesson to others who want to leave early to provide for your family etc.  Stay in School . play ball learn and get your degree.   Tough break for Kirkland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkzE23pyME4
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 02, 2016, 02:25:37 pm
Let this be a lesson to others who want to leave early to provide for your family etc.  Stay in School . play ball learn and get your degree.   Tough break for Kirkland.
80% of the underclassmen that declared were drafted, so certainly not a blanket rule.

cosmodrum

Quote from: HamSammich on May 01, 2016, 12:53:06 pm

Perhaps it's better for him to learn behind a quality OL and be brought on slowly rather than go to a place he would have to play, possibly fail and get bounced from the league in a couple years?
Go away, batin'