Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kirkland Undrafted- Didn't see that coming

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, April 30, 2016, 04:30:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Großer Kriegschwein

April 30, 2016, 04:30:41 pm Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:45:18 pm by Großer Kriegschwein
Here is what some in the NFL have been thinking.

"Those issues with waist bending and head ducking are very hard to correct. You can try and work around one of them, but if a guy has both of them then it is a big concern." -- NFC offensive line coach

Seems to be what most teams are thinking.
This is my non-signature signature.

IronMountainHog

Kid made a big mistake, but at least he is 70% of the way to a diploma.

Großer Kriegschwein

Hard to disagree. A year under Anderson might have helped him with at least one of his issues. I really hope he gets taken though.

DE Woodard drafted before Kirkland out of UCA

razorbackfan4life

It'll be a damn shame if he doesn't get drafted.  I feel really bad for the kid. 

alohawg

Chances are looking real slim. Should be a lesson, but it won't.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

rljjr

Didn't he go early because he wanted to provide for his family?

Razor1997

When the Falcons just picked Devin Fuller, for a split second I thought I heard them say "Denver" and I got all excited  :'(

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: rljjr on April 30, 2016, 05:03:24 pm
Didn't he go early because he wanted to provide for his family?
by working at Sonic? He shoulda stayed, hell, he might have even gotten to play pro football. But , even if he couldn't develop enough for that, at least he would have got to play the game he loved for one more year. Damn shame. He may never even don the pads in a game again.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Großer Kriegschwein

I'm crossing my fingers for the Seahawk's next pick.

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 30, 2016, 05:09:18 pm
He may never even don the pads in a game again.

He'll sign somewhere as undrafted free agent.  He'll play in the first couple of preseason games.  But he better show something because he'll get cut if he doesn't.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on April 30, 2016, 05:12:31 pm
He'll sign somewhere as undrafted free agent.  He'll play in the first couple of preseason games.  But he better show something because he'll get cut if he doesn't.
true but to me preseason games aren't real and if he doesn't make the team than that's pretty much it.

I blame Pittman, anyway. Not only did he fail to clean up two huge negatives, he bailed on him in a way that probably help push Denver toward the draft. Bad decision that I bet he wouldn't have made if he had his position coach in his ear.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Großer Kriegschwein

Redskins haven't selected an OL today.

Vikings have only selected one OT.

RazorPiggie

alohawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 30, 2016, 05:09:18 pm
by working at Sonic? He shoulda stayed, hell, he might have even gotten to play pro football. But , even if he couldn't develop enough for that, at least he would have got to play the game he loved for one more year. Damn shame. He may never even don the pads in a game again.

He'll get a shot as a free agent at worst.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

Professor Psychosis

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on April 30, 2016, 05:13:29 pm
I blame Pittman, anyway. Not only did he fail to clean up two huge negatives, he bailed on him in a way that probably help push Denver toward the draft. Bad decision that I bet he wouldn't have made if he had his position coach in his ear.

No doubt he should've stayed.  It would've been better for him and also for us.  Sad.

alohawg

Last seven picks....possibly Mr Irrelevant?
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

Großer Kriegschwein

I have no concept of that may be going through his mind right now.

italian9005

Man I just don't understand how we keep losing good underclassmen to the draft yet they get drafted super low. they need to learn to stay another year if not going to be high in the draft

presidenthog

April 30, 2016, 05:26:51 pm #18 Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:57:21 pm by presidenthog
Quote from: alohawg on April 30, 2016, 05:24:05 pm
Last seven picks....possibly Mr Irrelevant?
He isn't getting drafted. Kirkland is the new thurman. thought he was a hot commodity and tuned out he was not commodity.

Großer Kriegschwein

Here's how bad it is.

Jeff Driskel and his 12 knee surgeries, Scooby and Prince Charles have been drafted already.

hawgmasta

Definitely didn't see this coming; that's really a shame.

razorbackfan4life

Well it's a much harder hill to climb for DK now. 

King Kong

Quote from: hawgmasta on April 30, 2016, 05:41:13 pm

And During Bowl season Kiper had him as like the #1 guard. SMH

Großer Kriegschwein

ChitownHawg

I feel for him. Now just get ticked and go prove everyone wrong. I would like to see the Bears pick him up as an undrafted player.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Dropkick

He will get a shot somewhere

mhsbc59

DK combine killed him i do think the 5 that where draft make at least the scout team and have atleast 2 years in the NFL. HH, AC, William will all be 5 + guy's
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

lilRockNDubb

Neither did he

bphi11ips

Home DK makes a team.  He'll get a shot.

I wonder how much recruiting hype sets expectations and influences athletes when they later decide to enter the draft early.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 30, 2016, 03:40:58 am
When I heard the "experts"talking about DK's measurables, I knew right then he'd be better off staying another year.
He was at risk to go so low as to be irrelevant or to go undrafted altogether.

It wouldn't surprise me if he goes undrafted.
When he hits a camp, he'll have to shine bright and fast.
DK could be out of football completely in as little as two years depending on where he's given a chance, how hard he works, and how well he's received by the coaches.

When you weigh that vs staying another year at school, being the leader of the OL, working hard to improve body and technique.......His decision (which he didn't let BB discuss with him despite the agreement) to leave could be a colossal letdown.

I posted this at 3:41 am this morning.
I saw this coming as a real possibility.
Scouts just weren't crazy about him.

His family would have been fine for another year.  (TBH, I see this as a want thing vs a need thing unless there are very unusual circumstances or the family is from a foreign, poor country.)

He should have kept his conference with BB.  He didn't because going pro was THE most important thing.  Now, his fate is a real crap shoot.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Pig In The City

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Lake City Hog

I would like to know how many of those early guys were drafted 5th round or later.

PigTimePlayer

hate it for him...can't help but think that if he would have had this next season to move inside and work with CKA for a year that he could have snuck into a late round in next year's draft. It's a roll of the dice. He will still have a shot, but he has to really get after it now.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

hoglady

Most of these borderline guys leaving to help their family, really aren't helping their family at all.
Doing what is best for their long term career is what is best for their family, too.
It's a shame.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Pig in the Pokey

Peyton Barber and DeRunnya Wilson come to mind

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PigTimePlayer on April 30, 2016, 06:03:04 pm
hate it for him...can't help but think that if he would have had this next season to move inside and work with CKA for a year that he could have snuck into a late round in next year's draft. It's a roll of the dice. He will still have a shot, but he has to really get after it now.
except now he DOESN'T get that year with a great position coach. He's done, guys. Miss me with the whole "he'll get a try-out" bit. Yeah, AT HIS CURRENT DEVELOPMENT LEVEL- which isn't good enough.

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on April 30, 2016, 06:03:50 pm
Most of these borderline guys leaving to help their family, really aren't helping their family at all.
Doing what is best for their long term career is what is best for their family, too.
It's a shame.

No doubt, but they never seem to realize that, until it's too late.

Großer Kriegschwein

Well that was quick. Looks like they were staring at his name and waiting.

Lake City Hog

You would think that kids would finally learn that the guy that recruited them and coached them for 3 years has their best interest at heart way more than any agent!
BB wasn't even given the chance to tell Kirkland the flip side of his decision.
The plain truth is that AC might well have been better off sticking around another year.

rzrbackramsfan

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Lake City Hog on April 30, 2016, 06:12:35 pm
You would think that kids would finally learn that the guy that recruited them and coached them for 3 years has their best interest at heart way more than any agent!
BB wasn't even given the chance to tell Kirkland the flip side of his decision.
The plain truth is that AC might well have been better off sticking around another year.
both would have been.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on April 30, 2016, 04:30:41 pm
Here is what some in the NFL have been thinking.

"Those issues with waist bending and head ducking are very hard to correct. You can try and work around one of them, but if a guy has both of them then it is a big concern." -- NFC offensive line coach

Seems to be what most teams are thinking.

Actually, I'm not surprised. He needed another year. I wish him the best without a doubt as I would any former Hog, but another year would have most likely helped him a great deal.
Go Hogs Go!

pigskenG

While I was watching the film of Denver yesterday give the tour of his home I was thinking I really hope he gets a chance. But I was one of those that thought he should have moved back to guard and stayed for his senior year. Nice young man, I am pulling for him to get his shot at his dream of playing in the NFL.  I think Collins did the right thing for himself ( not us, we would have loved for him to stay another year ) by moving on, especially after seeing what could happen by staying like Jonathan Williams did. Only to see JWill get hurt and miss his senior year. If you go to the Seattle Seahawks web site, their midlands scout answers questions about Alex. He just loves him, on and off the field. Kind of makes you proud.  Looking forward to seeing him play for Seattle.

jjdlc

Oakland has had a lot of O-line issues, he'll have as good a shot as any there to make the team.  Hate it for the kid, but this is one CBB can point to in the future when guys start thinking of jumping early.

Loewen to the Saints is a nice landing spot for him.  He really started to come on last season after finally moving to DL, I think he has a decent shot of at least making the practice squad, and working his way onto the team.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: pigskenG on April 30, 2016, 06:38:39 pm
While I was watching the film of Denver yesterday give the tour of his home I was thinking I really hope he gets a chance. But I was one of those that thought he should have moved back to guard and stayed for his senior year. Nice young man, I am pulling for him to get his shot at his dream of playing in the NFL.  I think Collins did the right thing for himself ( not us, we would have loved for him to stay another year ) by moving on, especially after seeing what could happen by staying like Jonathan Williams did. Only to see JWill get hurt and miss his senior year. If you go to the Seattle Seahawks web site, their midlands scout answers questions about Alex. He just loves him, on and off the field. Kind of makes you proud.  Looking forward to seeing him play for Seattle.
But, didn't Jwill get drafted ahead of AC? How did it hurt JWill to return to school exactly? AAAhhhhhh, it DIDN'T. He may not have BEEN drafted last year, who knows. I'm sick of all the speculation presented as fact.

jjdlc

Quote from: pigskenG on April 30, 2016, 06:38:39 pm

I agree on AC, I don't think he could have helped his stock much, if this last season didn't do it.  I think this is a case where the scouts are focusing too much on the measurable a, and not enough on the total package.