Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BA to Jags

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, April 30, 2016, 03:45:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greenEGnHAWGS

Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

RazorChuck

TexHog188

"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Pigasaurus

April 30, 2016, 03:47:47 pm #3 Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 04:08:26 pm by pigasaurus
Good job!woo pig!
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

bville_hog

Aren't they still looking for a replacement for leftwich?!?!

rljjr

Quote from: pigasaurus on April 30, 2016, 03:47:47 pm
198.  one pick ahead of Tom Brady.  woo pig!

201 according to NFL.com ... but no matter ... go get'em!!!

OPoraquê

I doubt you'll find a QB in this draft who played in a tougher college OR high school league* this past nine years than BA.  And he got a warm weather team as well.  Wishing the best for him...he's gotten drafted, and is getting his chance.

* Bentonville finished #21 in the nation (undefeated) in 2010, Allen's senior year, and Fayetteville was the team that came closest to beating them, taking them to their only OT game.

mhsbc59

Has Arkansas ever had 3 consecutive QB drafted? if not we just have
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Terrible landing.
Bortles looks like the real deal and is only in year three I believe.
I was hoping for Kansas city.
Good coach, friendly QB system, a good (not great) old QB as starter.

Pittsburgh was my second choice for him.

Oh well, I'm hoping this somehow works out for him.
Gratis on being drafted!
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hawginbigd1

Congrats to BA! Rudock drafted before him WTH that guy is horrible!

bulldog04

Chad Henne the only other QB on their roster besides Bortles

Tyro3

Going to be tough with Bortles there, they have a good young team could be contenders next year.

presidenthog

warm weather team. terrible team that has a bad front office. has a QB that they took first round last year. basically brandon is a life back up here. terrible landing spot. would have rather seen him in Pittsburgh behind an old rothlisburger than the jags.

it doesn't matter even if brandon beats bortles out. the fact that he is a 1st round guy and has more money attached to him means they will give him 1000 chances before giving brandon the nod. this is an awful fit.

rzrbackramsfan

Maybe Brandon Allen can go under the radar and be the number 2 or 3 qb for as long as possible.

OPoraquê

http://www.news4jax.com/sports/nfl/jaguars/jaguas-select-qb-brandon-allen-in-6th-round

QuoteJACKSONVILLE, Fla. - In the sixth round (No. 201 overall) the Jaguars finally selected an offensive player in Arkansas quarterback Brandon Allen. The Jaguars got a great look at Allen when he was coached by their staff in the Senior Bowl.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: presidenthog on April 30, 2016, 04:04:45 pm
warm weather team. terrible team that has a bad front office. has a QB that they took first round last year. basically brandon is a life back up here. terrible landing spot. would have rather seen him in Pittsburgh behind an old rothlisburger than the jags.

it doesn't matter even if brandon beats bortles out. the fact that he is a 1st round guy and has more money attached to him means they will give him 1000 chances before giving brandon the nod. this is an awful fit.

See my post at reply #8.
Great minds think alike.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

BigSexyHog

Very happy for BA!  Hope the best for him and that he can make the most of his opportunity.   
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

kodiakisland

Quote from: presidenthog on April 30, 2016, 04:04:45 pm

Bortles will be entering his 3rd year this season.  He threw for 4,400 yards and 35TDs last year, so they are not bringing BA in to be a starter.  I wish he had gone to a team with an old or questionable QB.

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Wildhog

There are a lot worse things than being a backup QB in the NFL.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

mhsbc59

Quote from: Wildhog on April 30, 2016, 04:10:44 pm

lots of money and you dont get beat great spot to be in
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on April 30, 2016, 04:10:44 pm

Correct, make a roster and then see what happens. Also, the durability of pro QB's isn't all that great, so you'll probably be given a chance to show your wares.

Hawghiggs

Best spot for him. He can make 2-4 million a year as a serviceable back quarterback and will play for a decade. The Jaguars have been improving as an organization ever since the team got a new owner.  Good for BA.

Hogwild

Quote from: bulldog04 on April 30, 2016, 03:58:37 pm
Chad Henne the only other QB on their roster besides Bortles

And don't forget Chad Henne is a joke. Every time I see his name I can't stop thinking about that song.
Warning NSFW!!!

presidenthog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 30, 2016, 04:15:11 pm
Best spot for him. He can make 2-4 million a year as a serviceable back quarterback and will play for a decade. The Jaguars have been improving as an organization ever since the team got a new owner.  Good for BA.
he won't make anything close to that. 5-7 round picks make 400-600 thousand. he is a disposable pick. they could get a FA and cut brandon for all they care. this is an awful situation.

WilsonHog

Happy for BA. The young man got to live his dream of being quarterback of the Arkansas Razorbacks, and was a three-year starter on top of it. Now he is a 6th-round NFL draft selection, will make mid to high six figures, and if he never does anything more than carry a clipboard in the NFL for a couple of years, he will have done more than 100% of his critics.

rupert

really good receivers there to work with,,,congrats

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 30, 2016, 04:22:45 pm
Happy for BA. The young man got to live his dream of being quarterback of the Arkansas Razorbacks, and was a three-year starter on top of it. Now he is a 6th-round NFL draft selection, will make mid to high six figures, and if he never does anything more than carry a clipboard in the NFL for a couple of years, he will have done more than 100% of his critics.

Pretty good idea on what each pick will get.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

Hawghiggs

Quote from: presidenthog on April 30, 2016, 04:17:01 pm
he won't make anything close to that. 5-7 round picks make 400-600 thousand. he is a disposable pick. they could get a FA and cut brandon for all they care. this is an awful situation.
He won't at first. But if he goes in their and proves himself valuable than he could. Besides 400k a year isn't exactly pocket change.

Smokehouse

Not the worst spot. Should have a shot at beating out Henne for the backup spot (BA is a better QB but Henne will have the advantage of being familiar with the system), Bortles looks good but he's had a lot of injuries his first two years in Jacksonville, and if he gets in the game they have a great receiving corp of guys you can chunk it to and they'll go up and get it.

There was only a handful of teams he'd have a real shot at competing for a starting spot for and most of them took QBs much earlier. This was certainly not the worst of what's left.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

JIHawg

It's all good.  He will be just one or two injuries away from being a starting NFL QB.  These coaches worked with him, they drafted him for a reason.

Over the next three years, he will get his shot.  From what we've seen of Brandon, he will be ready.

Justifiable Hogicide

Good for BA. He took a lot of tough hits for us and never slacked off. Wish him the best.

Zen_Hog

Quote from: presidenthog on April 30, 2016, 04:17:01 pm

I'm assuming the previous poster meant if he can make it to the second contract he will be making millions. The average backup veteran QB makes upwards of over a million easy.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 30, 2016, 04:27:02 pm
He won't at first. But if he goes in their and proves himself valuable than he could. Besides 400k a year isn't exactly pocket change.

Nobody should pee their pants with excitement just yet.
My ex grew up with John Fina and then went to the same college and continued their friendship as they went to the same parties, etc.

When his playing days were done, she was surprised he went to work at a local car dealership.
He told her that you can basically divide your salary in half after taxes , then you pay your "people" (agent, lawyer, accountant/money manager, etc), then you have high miscellaneous expenses such as nice clothes and entertainment  because you'll want to be a teammate that develops friendships and ties to your teammates,  then you travel a lot which has its own hidden expenses, and then, if you're from a good, stable family, maybe you'll be ok, but if not, family troubles expenses can become huge.
He went on to say that his first few years, he was lucky after all of that to bring home a about a third of his check.  After that, somewhere around 40%.

Just passing along a real players experience.
His response to me:

presidenthog

Quote from: Hawghiggs on April 30, 2016, 04:27:02 pm
It isn't pocket change but your 5-7 round picks are the first cut and then get put on practice or not kept at all. practice makes 250k.

presidenthog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 30, 2016, 04:50:32 pm

My ex grew up with John Fina and then went to the same college and continued their friendship as they went to the same parties, etc.

When his playing days were done, she was surprised he went to work at a local car dealership.
He told her that you can basically divide your salary in half after taxes , then you pay your "people" (agent, lawyer, accountant/money manager, etc), then you have high miscellaneous expenses such as nice clothes and entertainment  because you'll want to be a teammate that develops friendships and ties to your teammates,  then you travel a lot which has its own hidden expenses, and then, if you're from a good, stable family, maybe you'll be ok, but if not, family troubles expenses can become huge.
He went on to say that his first few years, he was lucky after all of that to bring home a about a third of his check.  After that, somewhere around 40%.

this guy gets it. some  of you have a very wrong impression of how much nfl players really make. what it's really like. you are a guy who makes 250-500k and you hang out with people who bring in 40 million a year. to be a "leader" or "friend" of these poeple you have to somewhat compete life style wise.

OPoraquê

He went on to say that his first few years, he was lucky to bring home a little over a third of his check.  After that, somewhere between 40 to 45% after taxes of course.

Did Brandon "the bus driver" Allen get his master's degree?  If not, I'm guessing he's close.  Smart kid.  You get the feeling he'll do well in life.

greenEGnHAWGS

I honestly don't think this is a horrible deal for BA. It's an opportunity to become a backup and sit and learn. It's tough coming into a team and immediately having to preform at a starting QB level. I still believe if Tyler Wilson would of went went somewhere where he was expected to sit and learn, instead of immediately compete, he'd be on a roster today. Sitting never hurt his like Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, even Kirk Cousins.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

ricepig

He went on to say that his first few years, he was lucky to bring home a little over a third of his check.  After that, somewhere between 40 to 45% after taxes of course.

Which is still more than most college graduates, lol. Of course, then you have your endorsement contracts, appearance fees, etc.....One makes the choices on spending or saving their money just like the rest of us, it all comes down to personal choices.

King Kong

Quote from: mhsbc59 on April 30, 2016, 03:51:22 pm
Has Arkansas ever had 3 consecutive QB drafted? if not we just have

It's actually our last 4 to start a game counting Derby

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: presidenthog on April 30, 2016, 04:51:00 pm
It isn't pocket change but your 5-7 round picks are the first cut and then get put on practice or not kept at all. practice makes 250k.
I take 250k to be a practice dummy for life...

presidenthog

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on April 30, 2016, 04:58:47 pm
I take 250k to be a practice dummy for life...
after your agent and other fees I bet you make somewhere around 100k. while still dedicating the same time as a starter

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: ricepig on April 30, 2016, 04:54:36 pm
Which is still more than most college graduates, lol. Of course, then you have your endorsement contracts, appearance fees, etc.....One makes the choices on spending or saving their money just like the rest of us, it all comes down to personal choices.

True.

It is more, but an "actual" salary of $135,000 after taxes/expenses isn't  exactly tearing it up like many of you believe.
Considering he could be cut anytime and not given another chance, he may only see that for one season.

I'm happy he got drafted.
I really am.  He's one of my all-time favorite players.
I'm not happy with where he landed, and I think he fell too low for where he could/should have as well.
His response to me:

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: presidenthog on April 30, 2016, 05:02:05 pm
after your agent and other fees I bet you make somewhere around 100k. while still dedicating the same time as a starter

Based off Fina's estimates, that'd be about right......Unless you had a "needy" family.
Then....... :puke:
His response to me:

OPoraquê

Quote(First Coast Sports beat writer Mike) Kaye's Take: I like this move a lot. I think Allen was underrated as a prospect and the sixth round made a lot of sense for him. The Jaguars have hit many home runs in this draft, so taking a long-term player made sense. The Jaguars will now try to groom Allen as Blake Bortles' long-term backup. He may be able to be stashed on the practice squad, depending on his progress this offseason.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/sports/jaguars-select-6th-round-pick-qb-brandon-allen/161969895?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

mhsbc59

Man nobody really makes what they to declare what they make.  If you look at what they say teachers make 40k a year but then realse that after taxes and what the state takes back, what they take home is closer to 20k.  Everyone knows you dont really take home what is posted on ESPN, but half of half a million is still way more than most even those with college degrees

presidenthog

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 30, 2016, 05:03:40 pm
Based off Fina's estimates, that'd be about right......Unless you had a "needy" family.
Then....... :puke:
doesn't matter where you get drafted. people come out of the wood work asking for money

ricepig

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 30, 2016, 05:02:30 pm
True.

It is more, but an "actual" salary of $135,000 after taxes/expenses isn't  exactly tearing it up like many of you believe.
Considering he could be cut anytime and not given another chance, he may only see that for one season.

I'm happy he got drafted.
I really am.  He's one of my all-time favorite players.
I'm not happy with where he landed, and I think he fell too low for where he could/should have as well.

His signing bonus will be $125,000, plus around $500,000+ if he makes the squad. Obama will get 39.6%, but 0% state taxes, and that's before deductions that his CPA will get for him. I bet he makes 6 figures in endorsements in NWA, especially if he makes the squad. So, it's not $135,000.

The Big O Oliver Squeeler

I hope he gets a chance to play. 

I wasn't a big fan of his 2 years ago, but he went through a lot.  Different coaches, adversity, challenges.  His senior year he won me over.  Tough young man.

mhsbc59

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on April 30, 2016, 04:53:15 pm
I honestly don't think this is a horrible deal for BA. It's an opportunity to become a backup and sit and learn. It's tough coming into a team and immediately having to preform at a starting QB level. I still believe if Tyler Wilson would of went went somewhere where he was expected to sit and learn, instead of immediately compete, he'd be on a roster today. Sitting never hurt his like Aaron Rogers, Tom Brady, even Kirk Cousins.

Well I would not agree with all of what you say.  If you don't make it to the final cut at a place where there is a true open competition not even hold on as the scout team guy...you aren't going to make it as a clip board holder anywhere else.