Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How have your expectations changed?

Started by rzrbackramsfan, April 23, 2016, 05:16:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbackramsfan

My expectations for this team have been tempered.  Austin Allen didn't do as well as I hoped and rafe was no better, although, if he were allowed to be tackled, some of those rollouts might be interesting.  I thought the running backs would do better and would have liked to see a little more from sprinkle.

I was encouraged by our secondary, especially Sykes, and agim... Man is he a joy to watch.  Cantrell looked really big.  I also kind of liked our number one o line.  All in all, not bad, but expectations of winning 9-10 games has been reduced, for now.

ricepig

westside_player

ha ha! 9 or 10 wins? We will be doing good to win 6

Wildhog

7-5, and another rent-a-win bowl. 

In year four.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Overtheroadtruckdriver

AirWarren

Quote from: Wildhog on April 23, 2016, 05:20:37 pm

In year four.

"In year four."

I suppose you think we could get bill self from Kansas too based simply on "our program attractiveness."

3 win.
7 wins.
8 wins.

You need to be thanking your lucky stars we have improved like that in the sec west.

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

Wildhog

Quote from: AP85 on April 23, 2016, 05:25:29 pm
"In year four."

I suppose you think we could get bill self from Kansas too based simply on "our program attractiveness."

3 win.
7 wins.
8 wins.

You need to be thanking your lucky stars we have improved like that in the sec west.

Thankful.  Sure.  Ok.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

gawntrail

6-6 and a bowl win. 7-6 overall.

Defense will win 2 or more for us with stops in the red zone and/or pick 6(s)..... but, we're going to drop a couple in the first half of the season because we're too green on the O side of the ball and will have trouble scoring at first.  But, we'll gel and finish pretty solid and look to roll in to 2017 with a twinkle and a plan.

VirginiaHog

Wow. We wont win the sec. But 6-6? No way. 7-5 worst. I am saying 8-4. 9-3 ceiling.

AirWarren

Quote from: Wildhog on April 23, 2016, 05:26:13 pm
Thankful.  Sure.  Ok.

We are Arkansas. If you're expecting 10-12 a year. You've already failed yourself.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

How did you get any kinda expectations outta that vanilla scrimmage?
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

gawntrail

Quote from: VirginiaHog on April 23, 2016, 05:31:55 pm
Wow. We wont win the sec. But 6-6? No way. 7-5 worst. I am saying 8-4. 9-3 ceiling.

Not arguing with you.  Just using your take as a reference.

Everybody knows our receivers (TE inc) are our strength.  And they know we're green at QB.  So, they just go Nickel against us and make us beat them through the air since they can stuff a weak run game with 6.

Until our OLine dominates and forces defenses into traditional 7-4 alignments, we're at the mercy of the learning curve as it relates to our run game. 

Note.... my observation is based on what I saw today.  Maybe we're pretty mobile on the Oline and will lean on the screen game to loosen the defensive front.  That would help the run game be more effective, which will open up those mid to deep strikes on play action and/or screen 'leaks'.  And, once we gel, our O is well rounded and we start to have our way with defenses regardless of how they play us.

ricepig

Quote from: gawntrail on April 23, 2016, 05:44:25 pm
Not arguing with you.  Just using your take as a reference.

Everybody knows our receivers (TE inc) are our strength.  And they know we're green at QB.  So, they just go Nickel against us and make us beat them through the air since they can stuff a weak run game with 6.

Until our OLine dominates and forces defenses into traditional 7-4 alignments, we're at the mercy of the learning curve as it relates to our run game. 

Note.... my observation is based on what I saw today.  Maybe we're pretty mobile on the Oline and will lean on the screen game to loosen the defensive front.  That would help the run game be more effective, which will open up those mid to deep strikes on play action and/or screen 'leaks'.  And, once we gel, our O is well rounded and we start to have our way with defenses regardless of how they play us.

We didn't have anyone carrying the football that will see meaningful carries, IMO.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on April 23, 2016, 05:33:20 pm
How did you get any kinda expectations outta that vanilla scrimmage?

I saw our players play?

Oliver

I hope nobody's expectations changed as a result of a meaningless Spring Game

gawntrail

Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2016, 05:46:47 pm
We didn't have anyone carrying the football that will see meaningful carries, IMO.

You are right.  Absolutely.

I worry that no matter how strong 1 or more RBs are.....  can we open holes.

That's why I don't think we're sewage, just green  I think it will take 1/2 the season for the O to gel and get clickin'.  I think we're going to finish very strong and be talked about favorably for '17.

Granny fan

Quote from: Wildhog on April 23, 2016, 05:20:37 pm

In year four.

This ^.  Tired of the "Next year" theme.

Dr. Starcs

You should be happy if there is a next year, Granny.

HogMantheIntruder

I don't think we are going to blow anyone out, but our defense will give us a chance in every game. If we don't get bit by the injury bug again, and the we get a few favorable bounces, I could see 9 wins with a BG victory. If Lady Luck is not on our side, we may only get to 7.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

opineonswine

7 wins I hope.  RB position is a giant step down so far.

Ramboar

7-10 wins. Many games will be close. Depends how healthy the team stays. We will beat many a team on coaching alone.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

Hawgar The Horrible

8-4 minimum. Enos has enough weapons at his disposal to score some points. Not like last season, but enough...because the defense is going to shut some folks down for a change.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Ramboar on April 23, 2016, 06:39:07 pm
7-10 wins. Many games will be close. Depends how healthy the team stays. We will beat many a team on coaching alone.

I think we still beat Ol Piss and LSU next year. Both of them at RRS.

I will of course change my guess, if needed, week to week next season based on development and injuries.
This is my non-signature signature.

Porked Tongue

Gracious.  It's an intrasquad controlled tackling scrimmage.  Step back and breathe.

mhsbc59

so this is where the downers came ok cool
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

alohawg

Lowered expectations for sure, but premature to say how much.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

HamSammich

Im not a sunshine pumper by any measure. I am a realist.

Tell me of a team with a new qb and new offensive line and new  tight end (last one was a star) in SEC history that won 9 games? I can't think of any.

We might be the first.

I like this team.

When defense dominates spring games... its a good thing historically fellas.

thebignasty

I don't know... 7-5?

Things could go better or worse. Looks like a solid team, but not loaded.

ricepig

Quote from: thebignasty on April 23, 2016, 07:41:23 pm
I don't know... 7-5?

Things could go better or worse. Looks like a solid team, but not loaded.

Kody Walker ran for elevenbillion yards last spring, look where that led to, as many have said, it was a plain vanilla scrimmage with partial tackling on some guys.

thebignasty

Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2016, 07:48:50 pm
Kody Walker ran for elevenbillion yards last spring, look where that led to, as many have said, it was a plain vanilla scrimmage with partial tackling on some guys.

Okay?

WilsonHog

Based off a controlled scrimmage?

No.

ricepig

McKdaddy

No change, positive or negative, based on this scrimmage. 7-5.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

ImHogginIt

April 23, 2016, 08:13:12 pm #34 Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:23:23 pm by ImHogginIt
Get one more TE ready to play and add Whaley and Hammonds to RW III and I'll say 8-9 wins. I was impressed with pass protection today.  Colton Jackson had a few rough spots but overall OL was a very pleasant surprise. I thought they were gonna look awful but they didn't.

AirWarren

We will be fine. Allen and his WRs will be ready. I think our defense will be a lot better this year too.

cypert2

After watching all of last years games and today's spring game, I expect the FG team to cost us at least one game next year.
Swinging on the two and the four.

Prestworthy

7-5 and to the Independence Bowl, sadly.

root_hawg

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Granny fan on April 23, 2016, 06:25:40 pm

This ^.  Tired of the "Next year" theme.

You posted this way past your bed time, granny.

lumphog

go hogues

Didn't change anything for me. Just based on what we lost and our schedule, I still think we will be very fortunate to notch 6 wins.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

nwahogfan1

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 23, 2016, 05:16:09 pm
My expectations for this team have been tempered.  Austin Allen didn't do as well as I hoped and rafe was no better, although, if he were allowed to be tackled, some of those rollouts might be interesting.  I thought the running backs would do better and would have liked to see a little more from sprinkle.

I was encouraged by our secondary, especially Sykes, and agim... Man is he a joy to watch.  Cantrell looked really big.  I also kind of liked our number one o line.  All in all, not bad, but expectations of winning 9-10 games has been reduced, for now.

I am curious if AA threw the ball for 400 yards and 4 TDs against the number 1 defense would you be more excited?   I don't know how good AA is but our defense might be pretty darn good.  At least I think it will be.  Won't know for sure until the fall.  But just curious what would make you more positive about the season coming up.  Remember defense wins championships more than offenses .

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 24, 2016, 12:54:20 am
I am curious if AA threw the ball for 400 yards and 4 TDs against the number 1 defense would you be more excited?   I don't know how good AA is but our defense might be pretty darn good.  At least I think it will be.  Won't know for sure until the fall.  But just curious what would make you more positive about the season coming up.  Remember defense wins championships more than offenses .

Purely qualitative but Austin didn't look as good as I thought he would be.  I'm sure he looked way better than Brandon harries and jeremy Johnson, but he seemed to make a few too many Sub-optimal decisions.

MTBrookHog

I see another slow start to the season.

lefty08

Haha, you guys acting like this was a game situation. It's a practice,  nobody can draw any conclusions on how our season will go, it's a long ways away.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Theolesnort

Quote from: ricepig on April 23, 2016, 07:57:57 pm
Just saying spring games don't give you much to base anything on.
Very,very true. But I did like the size, speed and talent on the field that was shown. I think this could be a very good football team but this is the SEC and even good teams lose games so predicting won loss records is just ridiculous just now. Remember the Ole Miss game and the Miss ST games? Things can go either way in the SEC because both teams have the studs and a mistake here or there can be costly. Still though this looks like a very well fleshed out SEC roster for the first time in recent memory and things could get very interesting this coming season.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

ricepig

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 24, 2016, 01:11:01 am
Purely qualitative but Austin didn't look as good as I thought he would be.  I'm sure he looked way better than Brandon harries and jeremy Johnson, but he seemed to make a few too many Sub-optimal decisions.

He looked much better than the others, although we saw very little of #3 and #4.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Theolesnort on April 24, 2016, 08:03:31 am
Very,very true. But I did like the size, speed and talent on the field that was shown. I think this could be a very good football team but this is the SEC and even good teams lose games so predicting won loss records is just ridiculous just now. Remember the Ole Miss game and the Miss ST games? Things can go either way in the SEC because both teams have the studs and a mistake here or there can be costly. Still though this looks like a very well fleshed out SEC roster for the first time in recent memory and things could get very interesting this coming season.

If viewed as a rebuilding year, this could be a very fun season.
For those expecting 8-4, 9-3, etc will probably have their hearts broken though.

I expect 6-6 and maybe 7-5.  Anything better than that is gravy.

2017 however, could be a dream season.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

ricepig

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 24, 2016, 08:23:19 am
If viewed as a rebuilding year, this could be a very fun season.
For those expecting 8-4, 9-3, etc will probably have their hearts broken though.

I expect 6-6 and maybe 7-5.  Anything better than that is gravy.

2017 however, could be a dream season.

Maybe, maybe not, this could be the dream season, one never knows.