Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Questions and Comments for Press Row 7-9 AM, Listen live on Radio on Web

Started by bomattingly, March 14, 2005, 07:07:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Phat Hawg

The committee idea has been a complete failure.  It's gotten the UA two horrible coaches, Stan Heath and Houston Nutt.

Wouldn't you agree Bo?

Phat Hawg

I applaud your new objectivity Bo.  After all, you did throw Houston under the bus when you described the committe hiring process as a "complete failure".

Of course I wonder how Houston's going to react after basically calling his hiring a "complete failure"?  Might be a little frosty at the ol' bible study this week.

Phat Hawg

So Bo, you did not agree with Mike that the committee hiring process was a complete failure?

Be careful that you get it right.

The Hustler

Bo & Mike,

You two say you think if Frank could he would fire Heath. If you can please tell me why our AD cant fire a coach. My opinion is that if they really wanted him gone he would be. The team played so poorly down the streach it would seem this is the best time ever if they are that unhappy.

Buck Ocean

so Heaths excuse for his demeanor is that his dad ran a Funeral Service?

Then what about Talifaro....his dad must have ran a graveyard and Flaska must have grown up in a mortuary.

As what I can remember Stan had a meany like guy in Byron Budreax.  is that right?
Think like a Jedi

Big Pig

So is Mike Anderson going to be the new Tennesse Coach, since BUZZ got fired?

Phat Hawg

Very nice revisionist history from only an hour ago.

Here's how it went down.  In ya'lls haste to blast John White for the Stan Heath hire you made a blanket statement about how the committee hiring process has been a complete failure.  You weren't talking theoretically.  You were talking on how the committee hiring process at the UA has been a complete failure.

It has been used exactly twice.  Once to hire Houston Nutt and the other to hire Stan Heath.

So basically you said that Nutt's and Heath's hiring have been failures.

The funny part of all this is I totally agree.

bomattingly

that's not the issue, it's p-r or what if heath decided to file suit

bomattingly

Quote from: Phat Hawg on March 14, 2005, 09:00:39 am

Here's how it went down. In ya'lls haste to blast John White for the Stan Heath hire you made a blanket statement about how the committee hiring process has been a complete failure. You weren't talking theoretically. You were talking on how the committee hiring process at the UA has been a complete failure.

It has been used exactly twice. Once to hire Houston Nutt and the other to hire Stan Heath.

we don't have to say what you want us to.  why do you insist on speaking opinions and statements that we don't make?  learn how to use your ears.  just because we don't like committee's doesn't mean the stan heath and houston nutt hire's were bad one's.  it means we don't like committee's!

soso

Not that anyone cares, but I do think that Bo has a bias against Stan as opposed to Houston who gets a pass for very similar circumstances. In my eyes what separates the two is Stan has much more chance of turning things around because he is a much more effective recruiter. I for one welcome criticism of the coaches when warranted just do it equally and not based on personal relationships.

Phat Hawg

Quote from: bomattingly on March 14, 2005, 09:17:19 am

Here's how it went down. In ya'lls haste to blast John White for the Stan Heath hire you made a blanket statement about how the committee hiring process has been a complete failure. You weren't talking theoretically. You were talking on how the committee hiring process at the UA has been a complete failure.

It has been used exactly twice. Once to hire Houston Nutt and the other to hire Stan Heath.

we don't have to say what you want us to. why do you insist on speaking opinions and statements that we don't make? learn how to use your ears. just because we don't like committee's doesn't mean the stan heath and houston nutt hire's were bad one's. it means we don't like committee's!

But let me make sure I get this exactly right.....you're just not for the committee hiring proces on a purely theoretical basis?  You don't have any examples of the committee doing a bad job of hiring, since of course you weren't talking about the only two examples of committee hiring on campus, Coach Heath's and Coach Nutt, you're just against the idea of committee's in general?

The fact that Stan Heath is in trouble and was hired by a committee is just a pure coincidence regarding your negative position on committee hiring?  Of course that would be the case since you feel Houston Nutt is a great coach, which would mean you would also feel that the committee hiring of Houston Nutt was a rousing success.  A great coup for the Hogs and for John White's hiring process.

Is this what you're trying to say?  You see, I want to make sure I get this exactly right since apparently so far I've done a poor job of deciphering what you were saying this morning?

If that's the case than can you please list some instances where the committee hiring process has done a bad job of hiring coaches?  You're more than welcome to use examples at other schools since the two hires at the UA apparently don't count.

GRUMPY35

i say lets move on to another subject the fire coach heath talk is tiresome maybe he could hire a new "tough guy" assistant coach to help with discipline

mikeirwin

Quote from: Phat Hawg on March 14, 2005, 10:10:14 am

we don't have to say what you want us to. why do you insist on speaking opinions and statements that we don't make? learn how to use your ears. just because we don't like committee's doesn't mean the Stan heath and Houston nutt hire's were bad one's. it means we don't like committee's!

But let me make sure I get this exactly right.....you're just not for the committee hiring process on a purely theoretical basis?  You don't have any examples of the committee doing a bad job of hiring, since of course you weren't talking about the only two examples of committee hiring on campus, Coach Heath's and Coach Nutt, you're just against the idea of committee's in general?

The fact that Stan Heath is in trouble and was hired by a committee is just a pure coincidence regarding your negative position on committee hiring?  Of course that would be the case since you feel Houston Nutt is a great coach, which would mean you would also feel that the committee hiring of Houston Nutt was a rousing success.  A great coup for the Hogs and for John White's hiring process.

Is this what you're trying to say?  You see, I want to make sure I get this exactly right since apparently so far I've done a poor job of deciphering what you were saying this morning?

If that's the case than can you please list some instances where the committee hiring process has done a bad job of hiring coaches?  You're more than welcome to use examples at other schools since the two hires at the UA apparently don't count.

I was opposed to the committee process when I first heard that John White was going to use it in the hiring of Danny Ford's replacement. This was before Nutt was hired. Let me be very clear. In my mind there was nothing in the hiring of Nutt or Heath at the time that lead me to believe that they were bad hires. Even had they both turned out to be spectacular hires I would still reject the committee process. Coaches need to be hired by the AD. That is his main job. If I were a one man committee charged with hiring JFB's replacement (in the year 2050) I would hire a guy who had a reputation of hiring successful coaches. That would be the number one thing I'd look at. If the candidate in question were not a strong administrator I'd get him an assistant who could do that part of the job.
ADs should hire coaches. If committees hire coaches and they consistently do a bad job of it how does the situation get rectified ? You can't fire a committee because the members weren't hired in the first place. On the other hand if you are a person who believes that Nutt or Heath (or both) are bad hires you can't blame Broyles because in both cases he wanted to hire coaches other than Nutt and Heath.
It's a flawed process that should never be used.

mikeirwin

Quote from: Buck Ocean on March 14, 2005, 08:51:58 am
so Heaths excuse for his demeanor is that his dad ran a Funeral Service?

Then what about Talifaro....his dad must have ran a graveyard and Flaska must have grown up in a mortuary.

As what I can remember Stan had a meany like guy in Byron Budreax. is that right?
Byron may have been a meany who could scare the players but insiders say he was a problem for Heath. The term "loose cannon" comes to mind.
By the way Buck just to be clear Heath didn't offer his funeral home experience as an excuse for his laid back style. I'm not sure he's ever talked about it except to the committee. A member of the committee told me that growing up in that environment had given Heath the ability to stay calm in a crisis. That's one of the things the committee liked about him. It's now one of the things that at least some of the fans don't like about him.
It's a classic example of how a perceived strength can become a perceived weakness when you don't win games.

Phat Hawg

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 14, 2005, 02:40:19 pm
Quote from: Phat Hawg on March 14, 2005, 10:10:14 am

we don't have to say what you want us to. why do you insist on speaking opinions and statements that we don't make? learn how to use your ears. just because we don't like committee's doesn't mean the Stan heath and Houston nutt hire's were bad one's. it means we don't like committee's!

But let me make sure I get this exactly right.....you're just not for the committee hiring process on a purely theoretical basis?  You don't have any examples of the committee doing a bad job of hiring, since of course you weren't talking about the only two examples of committee hiring on campus, Coach Heath's and Coach Nutt, you're just against the idea of committee's in general?

I was opposed to the committee process when I first heard that John White was going to use it in the hiring of Danny Ford's replacement. This was before Nutt was hired. Let me be very clear. In my mind there was nothing in the hiring of Nutt or Heath at the time that lead me to believe that they were bad hires. Even had they both turned out to be spectacular hires I would still reject the committee process. Coaches need to be hired by the AD. That is his main job. If I were a one man committee charged with hiring JFB's replacement (in the year 2050) I would hire a guy who had a reputation of hiring successful coaches. That would be the number one thing I'd look at. If the candidate in question were not a strong administrator I'd get him an assistant who could do that part of the job.
ADs should hire coaches. If committees hire coaches and they consistently do a bad job of it how does the situation get rectified ? You can't fire a committee because the members weren't hired in the first place. On the other hand if you are a person who believes that Nutt or Heath (or both) are bad hires you can't blame Broyles because in both cases he wanted to hire coaches other than Nutt and Heath.
It's a flawed process that should never be used.

I hope Bo appreciates you bailing him out.

And I do agree with you Mike but I'm using the evidence that both hires at the UA were bad hires so in my opinion they are "complete failures".  However I disagree that if committees are used and do a bad job there's no way to rectify it.  I think you'll see the next hires for both basketball and football done without a committee.  So yes, a committee can be fired.

The main objective is to get the best person hired for the job.  I don't care if they have to use a committee, the AD, or put it to a state-wide vote.

Swino

Why can't we just win?  For the love of God, I just want to win.