Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A symptom of what's wrong with college basketball

Started by HogInMemphis, March 13, 2005, 04:31:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogInMemphis

In the Louisville - Memphis game yesterday, Louisville won by the skin of its teeth thanks to a freshman on Memphis missing 2 of 3 FT's with no time on the clock.

Why'd he miss 2 of 3? Because no one works on FT shooting anymore. They work on 3 point shots and flash moves and dunks. But they don't work on the basics - passing, dribbling, FT form and shooting.

In that same game, Louisville was 15 of 23 from 3 pt. range. They shot a higher % from 3 pt. land than they did from the FT line!!  That's ridiculous.

I have contended for several years that the 3 pt. shot has ruined the college game relative to what it was like before the 3. I still believe that. I'd love to see the 3 revoked and go back to seeing offenses actually work hard for a 10 foot shot and players going to the foul line more often and being better able to hit them.

Remember how great Moncrief, Delph, Brewer and US Reed were at FT shooting? They all shot well over 80%. I recall Brewer and Delph making nearly 90% of their FT's a couple of years. That's unheard of now.

Give me back the old game - it was much prettier and more interesting to watch.

Prince of Pork

Thats a good thought H.I.M but its not really true.  Have you ever been to a Memphis practice?  I haven't but I have been to plenty of Razorback ones and I know their poor free throw shooting is not due to a lack of practice.  This was a freshman with his teams whole tournament chances pinned on his back, nobody else at the line, pretty tough situation.
Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 13, 2005, 04:31:38 pm
In the Louisville - Memphis game yesterday, Louisville won by the skin of its teeth thanks to a freshman on Memphis missing 2 of 3 FT's with no time on the clock.

Why'd he miss 2 of 3? Because no one works on FT shooting anymore. They work on 3 point shots and flash moves and dunks. But they don't work on the basics - passing, dribbling, FT form and shooting.

In that same game, Louisville was 15 of 23 from 3 pt. range. They shot a higher % from 3 pt. land than they did from the FT line!! That's ridiculous.

I have contended for several years that the 3 pt. shot has ruined the college game relative to what it was like before the 3. I still believe that. I'd love to see the 3 revoked and go back to seeing offenses actually work hard for a 10 foot shot and players going to the foul line more often and being better able to hit them.

Remember how great Moncrief, Delph, Brewer and US Reed were at FT shooting? They all shot well over 80%. I recall Brewer and Delph making nearly 90% of their FT's a couple of years. That's unheard of now.

*CUBS '05*   "THIS IS OUR YEAR"-make that 06-make that 07-make that 08-make that 09

mikeirwin

Sidney agrees with you. I saw him a few weeks back and he said virtually the same thing that you wrote.
But I also agree that the Hogs spend a lot of time shooting FT's at practice. However, in the old days guys worked on it more than just at practice. They started shooting FT's when they were old enough to get the ball to the rim.

Fatty McGee

In that same game, Louisville was 15 of 23 from 3 pt. range. They shot a higher % from 3 pt. land than they did from the FT line!! That's ridiculous.

I'm (somewhere over 30) and back in my day, (anything you can think of) was so much better.  Why, back in (the 50s,60s,70s, early 80s) we knew how to (anything you can think of) so much better than (these punks, kids, posters, whippersnappers) do today.  Why, we would (insert mindnumbing activity) at least (more times than is actually humanly possible) a day until we (reached a level of perfection unknown to humans).  And we weren't (any word conveying weakness) about it, either.  Why, I can recall when (either the speaker or sports hero of yore) did (some incredible feat that they never duplicated or never did in the first place) and he didn't receive (pick your accolade or amount of money) for it.  He just did it because that's what was expected!!

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Boarcephus

Don't work on dribbling?   The kids today go between the legs, round the back, right hand, left hand and that's just bringing the ball up the court with no pressure.   Even your 6-7, 6-9 forwards yoyo the ball better than Jerry West ever could.     Can't shoot for crap but they look good.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 13, 2005, 04:50:57 pm

Sidney agrees with you. I saw him a few weeks back and he said virtually the same thing that you wrote.
But I also agree that the Hogs spend a lot of time shooting FT's at practice. However, in the old days guys worked on it more than just at practice. They started shooting FT's when they were old enough to get the ball to the rim.

Well then, I am very content about the correctness of my thoughts on this if Sidney Moncrief thinks the same way. To answer one of the other replies, I didn't say the Hogs don't practice FT's. I said they don't practice them enough and they practice shooting 3's and flashy moves and dunks to the detriment of the fundamentals of basketball. No doubt in my mind, the game has truly deteriorated at the collegiate level over the past 20 years, thanks much to the 3 point shot. It's ruined traditional, classic basketball imo. But anyone who is under the age of about 25 doesn't have anything to compare it to so they won't agree.

I tell you what, watching someone like Larry Bird or Sidney Moncrief or even Brewer was truly a thing of beauty.

Mike, if you see Sidney any time soon, you tell him there's a 43 yr. old Sidney fan that loved watching him play more than anything else Hog-related I've even seen. He worked harder than any Hog basketball player I have seen in 30 years - on both ends of the court too. We'll never see someone like him again in th game - 6'4" but played like he was 6'10" yet with quickness of a small guard. Younger Hog fans today can't even imagine what he was like because there's been no one like him in the last 20 years.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 13, 2005, 05:27:26 pm

I'm (somewhere over 30) and back in my day, (anything you can think of) was so much better.  Why, back in (the 50s,60s,70s, early 80s) we knew how to (anything you can think of) so much better than (these punks, kids, posters, whippersnappers) do today.  Why, we would (insert mindnumbing activity) at least (more times than is actually humanly possible) a day until we (reached a level of perfection unknown to humans).  And we weren't (any word conveying weakness) about it, either.  Why, I can recall when (either the speaker or sports hero of yore) did (some incredible feat that they never duplicated or never did in the first place) and he didn't receive (pick your accolade or amount of money) for it.  He just did it because that's what was expected!!

Much truth to that. Funny stuff too. I know it's intended as a spoof of what I posted, but it's not like I'm 60 or 70 and I'm not talking about what things were like 40 or more years ago. I'm talking about 20 to 25 years ago which is still modern times, but just before the advent of the 3 point shot in college. 20 years ago, Jordan was playing, as were other recent greats like Bird and Magic. Is there anyone in the NBA right now that you would say is as good as any of those 3? I didn't think so.

Tell me who the Hogs have had since Moncrief that was even close to his talent and how hard he played for his size? You may say Corliss, but Corliss is 3 inches taller, about 40 lbs. heavier and while he hustled, he didn't play D like Moncrief did and he hasn't had nearly the NBA career that Sidney did.

HotSpringsHawg

but what has been failed to be mentioned IS that the kid took/shuffled more feet feet than M.Jones did vs.LSU......if the refs wanted to do the right thing,they would have given him 0/2 FT's instead of 3....things worked out DESPITE the refs in THAT game.......

HogInMemphis

Quote from: HotSpringsHawg on March 13, 2005, 08:24:29 pm
but what has been failed to be mentioned IS that the kid took/shuffled more feet feet than M.Jones did vs.LSU......if the refs wanted to do the right thing,they would have given him 0/2 FT's instead of 3....things worked out DESPITE the refs in THAT game.......

When you don't know what you're talking about, it's usually wise not to speak. Of course, I would expect you to speak because you are not wise. Congrats.

I watched the game and the instant replay clearly showed both that he did not walk and that he left the ground on the shot attempt well behind the 3 pt. line. Refs made the correct call. Poor kid just couldn't convert under the pressure.

pioneerhog

I hope that when it comes to tailgateing at War Memorial or at Razorback Stadium this fall that all this name calling and cussing everyone does not take place. It would be bad if the razorback nation was to split over stupid stuff like this. We are all here for one thing, WE ALL SUPPORT THE HOGS, so shouldn't we be able to at least half way get along.

HotSpringsHawg

Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 13, 2005, 08:27:10 pm
Quote from: HotSpringsHawg on March 13, 2005, 08:24:29 pm

When you don't know what you're talking about, it's usually wise not to speak. Of course, I would expect you to speak because you are not wise. Congrats.

I watched the game and the instant replay clearly showed both that he did not walk and that he left the ground on the shot attempt well behind the 3 pt. line. Refs made the correct call. Poor kid just couldn't convert under the pressure.
[/quote

WTFE you think......I was watching the game too.....HE took MORE steps than Jones did(although not backwards) than Jones did at the OTHER tiger gym.......looked to me that the home team got the better of both calls AND you AND I each won ONE from it.......

Fatty McGee

Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 13, 2005, 08:21:49 pm

Much truth to that. Funny stuff too. I know it's intended as a spoof of what I posted, but it's not like I'm 60 or 70 and I'm not talking about what things were like 40 or more years ago. I'm talking about 20 to 25 years ago which is still modern times, but just before the advent of the 3 point shot in college. 20 years ago, Jordan was playing, as were other recent greats like Bird and Magic. Is there anyone in the NBA right now that you would say is as good as any of those 3? I didn't think so.

Jordan in 1985 wasn't thought of as much more than a prolific scorer, albeit a selfish one. 

Today's NBA probably has more top flight talent than at any time in history.  After a 5 year post-Jordan lull, guys like Duncan, Iverson, Kobe, Shaq, McGrady, etc. have really taken off.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 13, 2005, 09:43:59 pm

Jordan in 1985 wasn't thought of as much more than a prolific scorer, albeit a selfish one. 

Today's NBA probably has more top flight talent than at any time in history.  After a 5 year post-Jordan lull, guys like Duncan, Iverson, Kobe, Shaq, McGrady, etc. have really taken off.

None of those you mention had the all around skill of Magic or Bird or maybe even Isiah. Is Duncan or Shaq better than Alcindor was? What about Dr. J?

Theolesnort

It is the game that has deteriated, all flash and little substance. The players have only follow what now is being called for.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Lando Calrissian

The lack of a good shooting stroke isn't due to the lack of practice enforced by a college, high school, or junior high coach.

You get your shot by spending time in the gym OUTSIDE of when you're supposed to be spending time in the gym.

I know it has been hit on pretty hard already, but these people that assume that poor free throw shooting is the result from a lack of practice/coaching seriously do not know a thing about basketball.

Kids spend their time OUT of practice working on the glam-dunks and dribbling between the legs.  A coach, on any level, has no control over that in the long run.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Anti-OtisII

I'm (somewhere over 30) and back in my day, (anything you can think of) was so much better. Why, back in (the 50s,60s,70s, early 80s) we knew how to (anything you can think of) so much better than (these punks, kids, posters, whippersnappers) do today. Why, we would (insert mindnumbing activity) at least (more times than is actually humanly possible) a day until we (reached a level of perfection unknown to humans). And we weren't (any word conveying weakness) about it, either. Why, I can recall when (either the speaker or sports hero of yore) did (some incredible feat that they never duplicated or never did in the first place) and he didn't receive (pick your accolade or amount of money) for it. He just did it because that's what was expected!!

;D  Good post Fatty.  I can always use a laugh and too many people take these things way too seriously!

That said, it is probably time to move the 3 point line back to the NBA distance.  Part of what has been great about NCAA basketball and the players over the years has been the way the game has evolved as rule changes have been made.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 13, 2005, 10:13:50 pm

None of those you mention had the all around skill of Magic or Bird or maybe even Isiah. Is Duncan or Shaq better than Alcindor was? What about Dr. J?

This is a debate that could rage forever and we could both be right, so I'm not going to get into it.  Suffice to say I think we're in a great era for professional basketball.  We may not have the East Coast - West Coast rivalry of Bird/Magic, but we have as many great players playing right now as at any time in the last 25 years.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 14, 2005, 07:32:50 am
Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 13, 2005, 10:13:50 pm

Suffice to say I think we're in a great era for professional basketball.  We may not have the East Coast - West Coast rivalry of Bird/Magic, but we have as many great players playing right now as at any time in the last 25 years.

Ok. I disagree.

bknight33

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 13, 2005, 05:30:06 pm

Don't work on dribbling? The kids today go between the legs, round the back, right hand, left hand and that's just bringing the ball up the court with no pressure. Even your 6-7, 6-9 forwards yoyo the ball better than Jerry West ever could. Can't shoot for crap but they look good.

Sure, when you are allowed to carry and palm the ball.  Where has the travel gone?  What is a pivot foot?

Jim Harris

Quote from: xna1501 on March 14, 2005, 03:56:24 pm
Quote from: bknight33 on March 14, 2005, 11:06:23 am
Quote from: Boarcephus on March 13, 2005, 05:30:06 pm

Don't work on dribbling? The kids today go between the legs, round the back, right hand, left hand and that's just bringing the ball up the court with no pressure. Even your 6-7, 6-9 forwards yoyo the ball better than Jerry West ever could. Can't shoot for crap but they look good.

Sure, when you are allowed to carry and palm the ball. Where has the travel gone? What is a pivot foot?

OH MY GOD!! Bk, I don't often agree with you, but I have to say I agree 100% with what you're saying here.

Can anyone imagine what would happen if these college kids were expected to perform up to the standards of oh, I don't know, say Pistol Pete Maravich? That guy was just amazing. If you're ever trying to teach a kid the game, get a copy of his videos. The work ethic and things he could do with a basketball were just out of this world. If I'm not mistaken, he still holds the record for average points scored in NCAA at over 40/pg or something like that. As well as numerous other records.

but no one else got a shot when Pistol Pete was playing. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson