Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CM Recruiting

Started by Sigepgator702, December 05, 2017, 09:50:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigepgator702

I get that most are not happy with the hire.  Recruiting has been an ill subject for most.  I'll say I'm on the fence with this hire, but how can we negatively complain about his recruiting?  Sure the numbers look bad, but it's SMU! Not SMU of the 80s! 
How far down the totem pole is SMU at Texas?!  It seems to me that it would be a HARD sell to convince anyone to go there.  There are at LEAST 8 better options in state and out of state including us that cherry pick that state. 
I was hoping for a Big name splash and of course believed the HYPE on Hogville when exciting names were mentioned, but it is what it is and let's back this man until there's no reason to!

jabberjawls

Quote from: Sigepgator702 on December 05, 2017, 09:50:10 pm
I get that most are not happy with the hire.  Recruiting has been an ill subject for most.  I'll say I'm on the fence with this hire, but how can we negatively complain about his recruiting?  Sure the numbers look bad, but it's SMU! Not SMU of the 80s! 
How far down the totem pole is SMU at Texas?!  It seems to me that it would be a HARD sell to convince anyone to go there.  There are at LEAST 8 better options in state and out of state including us that cherry pick that state. 
I was hoping for a Big name splash and of course believed the HYPE on Hogville when exciting names were mentioned, but it is what it is and let's back this man until there's no reason to!
A lot of us are really upset because we have done the research and we know we got hosed.  I hope he does well, but i don't see it.  His recruiting, even at poor SMU, has been no better than June Jones who got fired.  For the life of me i have not see any facts to suggest he was our best option.  Sure Dabo will endorse him but what would you expect him to say.  And, Clemson did better AFTER he left than when he was there.  His first 3 year record at SMU is worse than Bielema's record here.  It is worse than June Jones 3 year record at SMU (if you want to compare apples to apples) .  I hear people talking him up, but i am a facts person and i have not seen any facts -- only people's opinion.  I live in a world where people's opinions have to be supported by facts.  Especially when there were far better options.

Sigepgator702

I understand your logic and facts.  He may be a bust, but we won't know until we know.   I think it's just hard to compare since SMU is such a low tier college job in Texas and in the nation.

atekido

Id say there is 20-30 schools that can get dibs before SMU in regards to in state talent.  you can easily pick 4 of the top schools right off the bat from each power 5 that most upper tier athletes will pick before SMU.  That is 20 schools right there.  I don't think people realize just how far down SMU really is in the pecking order lol.   

Sigepgator702

Quote from: atekido on December 05, 2017, 10:22:54 pm
Id say there is 20-30 schools that can get dibs before SMU in regards to in state talent.  you can easily pick 4 of the top schools right off the bat from each power 5 that most upper tier athletes will pick before SMU.  That is 20 schools right there.  I don't think people realize just how far down SMU really is in the pecking order lol.

Word!

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: jabberjawls on December 05, 2017, 09:58:02 pm
A lot of us are really upset because we have done the research and we know we got hosed.  I hope he does well, but i don't see it.  His recruiting, even at poor SMU, has been no better than June Jones who got fired.  For the life of me i have not see any facts to suggest he was our best option.  Sure Dabo will endorse him but what would you expect him to say.  And, Clemson did better AFTER he left than when he was there.  His first 3 year record at SMU is worse than Bielema's record here.  It is worse than June Jones 3 year record at SMU (if you want to compare apples to apples) .  I hear people talking him up, but i am a facts person and i have not seen any facts -- only people's opinion.  I live in a world where people's opinions have to be supported by facts.  Especially when there were far better options.
This whole "Clemson did better after he left" line is so stupid. When Morris was there Clemson was top 15/top 10 in total offense. He left and they were #2 because the new guys had the luxury of a healthy DeShaun Watson which Morris did not have. There is no evidence to suggest that Morris wouldn't have done the same with a healthy DeShaun Watson, especially considering that the 2015 Clemson o-coordinators (yes plural) were the former RB and WR coaches under Morris that Dabo simply promoted. That would actually seem to suggest that Dabo didn't want change a thing about Morris' scheme which defeats your argument. If it were really the case that Morris was bad, Dabo had the means to bring in someone to run a different scheme.

As to Morris' SMU performance, the evidence seems to suggest that June Jones had quit on the team long before he stepped down. Read any article about June Jones' departure and they all have a question in common: "Why did it take this long?" It wasn't a Steve Spurrier situation where Steve just got tired and left a decent cupboard for the next guy. Jones had quit recruiting. The week before 2014 signing day he was literally at the beach.  Jones didn't even leave Morris any tight ends owing to his offensive philosophy which is some witch doctor darn out of left field. You people act like Morris should have just been able to step into SMU and immediately turn them into world beaters regardless of any other circumstances and that's just not how the reality of college football works.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

RME

Quote from: jabberjawls on December 05, 2017, 09:58:02 pm

I believe Morris is very good at identifying talent and developing it.

I support that with this, although a hole could be poked in my argument. Where the hole could be poked is in regards to the amount of walkons the SMU program currently has, or walkons that eventually contribute significantly.

Hear me out: No, SMU is not going to be a top five destination for recruits in Texas. But the AAC is a different animal in recruiting due to its geography. Teams range from USF, to SMU, to Cincinnati, to Temple, to Connecticut. Schools like USF, UCF, and Cincinnati, for example, have inherent advantages. Massive public schools that are in the middle of fertile recruiting grounds (yes, SMU is as well, but I'm getting there) that can take their share of leftovers, AND establish a solid walkon program.

SMU is a small private school that costs $46,000 to attend BEFORE room and board, books, etc. If someone can find evidence SMU has a strong walkon program, my argument is cut. But, that being said, SMU can't have the privilege of a walkon program like these other massively-enrolled state schools.

Therefore, Morris knows the players he is looking for, and he knows how to develop them, because he can't have players waiting in the walkon wings. He has to work with what he has, and he has done well; progress each year is doing well.

Our previous coach, in my opinion, was poor at both of those facets. I believe that Morris' ability to have a roster of almost all Texas recruits shows that he knows what he needs and how to develop them.

"What about his record?" He took over a 1-11 team and has added wins every year since. That's progress. In our microwave world, people want it NOW. A coach ain't gonna take a 1-11 team to 10-wins in consecutive years.

So that's my argument for Morris. I think he is a great identifier and developer of talent, and at a place like Arkansas where he will not overwhelmingly land 4* and 5* recruits, I think that's a valuable asset.

Gizmo

The vast majority of the users on this board are [CENSORED] morons. I'm surprised most know how to use a computer. The only dumber people on this planet are the ones that call in to local sports radio.

I'm not blown away by the hire, but it's a fresh start and I'm going to be happy that we have a coach and this a chance. Hell, it can't get much worse.

H0GGYSTYLE

Matt Burks

Quote from: H0GGYSTYLE on December 05, 2017, 10:44:25 pm
His recruiting pitch
Yeah and Bielema had the recruiting pitch of JJ Watt