Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blayne Toll should be big help at tight ends in 2020

Started by Otis Kirk, March 21, 2020, 12:23:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

3Scoreand10

They say he is fast, but how fast.  Anyone know what his 40 time is?
Great to see a kid willing to do what ever is necessary to help the team.

bennyl08

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on March 21, 2020, 04:06:35 pm
They say he is fast, but how fast.  Anyone know what his 40 time is?
Great to see a kid willing to do what ever is necessary to help the team.

6'5, 244, 11" hands, 78" wingspan, 31.3" vert, 4.88 forty, 4.49 shuttle.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

3Scoreand10

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 21, 2020, 08:05:31 pm

So this was when he was only 16.
I would think that might improve with age and training.
How does that compare with the other TEs on the team?

UnknownNobody

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on March 21, 2020, 08:21:32 pm

CJ posted these numbers at the NFL combine.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/c.j.-o'grady?id=32194f47-5204-1528-4e96-c6588a4c43ad

oldfart

seems to be the prototype of the modern day tight end. huge hands, hope they are sticky fingered!!!

bennyl08

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on March 21, 2020, 08:21:32 pm

Don't know when his birthday is, but yeah, late 16 to early 17.

Which is why I made a point to emphasize that. How much it could improve though is impossible to say. Biggest trick is technique. If you haven't been practicing sprinting techniques, then you can easily shave one to two full tenths a second off your forty time. A lot of people are more busy practicing their actual football techniques rather than learning how to test. Further, how far and how well developed he is plays into it. Lastly, there is an element to the idea that you recruit speed. If you are out there running a 6.3s forty time, there is no amount of training and development in the world that's going to turn you into a 4.4 forty guy.

Where does that put him in relation to other TE's? Well, it puts him nearer the bottom of those who actually participated in drills at the combine. Around half or more invited didn't participate in the those drills. Which means they were either injured or believed they too would be nearer the bottom than the top. Those invited to the combine represent the top 10% of players.

So, if you make an assumption that many of those who skipped the tests would rank somewhere near the bottom, that would put Toll, as a 16-17 year old, right about middle of the pack of the top 10% of all college TE's. And his hand size has to be near the very top. Also, he has a positive ape factor with each of his arms being about an extra inch and a half longer than they "should" be.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Otis Kirk

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 21, 2020, 10:24:41 pm
Don't know when his birthday is, but yeah, late 16 to early 17.

Which is why I made a point to emphasize that. How much it could improve though is impossible to say. Biggest trick is technique. If you haven't been practicing sprinting techniques, then you can easily shave one to two full tenths a second off your forty time. A lot of people are more busy practicing their actual football techniques rather than learning how to test. Further, how far and how well developed he is plays into it. Lastly, there is an element to the idea that you recruit speed. If you are out there running a 6.3s forty time, there is no amount of training and development in the world that's going to turn you into a 4.4 forty guy.

Where does that put him in relation to other TE's? Well, it puts him nearer the bottom of those who actually participated in drills at the combine. Around half or more invited didn't participate in the those drills. Which means they were either injured or believed they too would be nearer the bottom than the top. Those invited to the combine represent the top 10% of players.

So, if you make an assumption that many of those who skipped the tests would rank somewhere near the bottom, that would put Toll, as a 16-17 year old, right about middle of the pack of the top 10% of all college TE's. And his hand size has to be near the very top. Also, he has a positive ape factor with each of his arms being about an extra inch and a half longer than they "should" be.

And the 4.88 40 was laser. That is like a 4.68 hand held.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: bennyl08 on March 21, 2020, 08:05:31 pm
that'll do.
I like him for some Ironman football by his sophomore year.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.