Second Unit:

6'5" Khalil Garland
6'5" C J Jones
6'6" Darius Hall
6'8" Dustin Thomas
6'8" Arlando Cook

6'6' Adrio Bailey
6'8" Brachen Hazen

Thompson is too good at the 4 spot to start him at the 5. He was deadly with his great passing ability at the top of the lane last year with Kingsley at the 5. Gafford will start in Kingsley's spot.

Mike likes having Senior experience at Point guard so I believe he will start 4 Seniors and the big Freshman.

I understand your reasoning...  Just curious, why didn't Mike start Trey at the 4 last year ahead of Dustin?  And I find it interesting you jump CJ ahead of Adrio.

HogBeliever625

Gafford may not start game 1, but he will be starting by end of year as he develops.

GuvHog

Quote from: ArkansasI on May 12, 2017, 10:38:29 am
I understand your reasoning...  Just curious, why didn't Mike start Trey at the 4 last year ahead of Dustin?  And I find it interesting you jump CJ ahead of Adrio.

Mike started Dustin ahead of Trey last year because he didn't have anyone else with experience to back Kingsley up. Now that Cook has a year under his belt, he will be a much better player coming off of the bench to relieve Gafford. That will allow Mike to start Trey at the 4 with Thomas to back him up.

C J and Adrio will both see a lot of action as they are both very talented. This will be a very deep team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hawginbigd1

HogBeliever625

Quote from: ArkansasI on May 12, 2017, 10:38:29 am
Trey didn't start because his conditioning was poor and he gets in foul trouble. Hard to play him 30+ minutes

niels_boar

Quote from: HogBeliever625 on May 12, 2017, 11:54:19 am
Trey didn't start because his conditioning was poor and he gets in foul trouble. Hard to play him 30+ minutes

Trey was not asked to conserve fouls last season.  Kingsley went from 7 minutes per PF backing up Portis to 10 min per PF as a starter.  Trey would cut his fouling down considerably if he would stay vertical on contests, instead of swatting, and then getting the rebound, which he does very well.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

niels_boar

Quote from: navyhog24 on May 11, 2017, 04:27:16 pm
CMA will want a senior ball handler on the second unit with so many young players. That will be Beard. Beard hasn't done anything in the past to warrant a starting spot.

Beard earned a starting spot as a frosh with his play and helped turn that season around.  We got a lot better when he took over for Durham and made the run to a #5 seed.  Fans forget that.  He very much earned a starting spot last January with his play and then deservedly earned a place on the bench with his play in February and March.  He would have been a hero, nonetheless, had we pulled out the UNC game.  This notion that Beard has always been the player that we saw in February and March is just proof of short memories.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

ArkansasI

chiti66

Quote from: GuvHog on May 12, 2017, 10:29:21 am
My opinion:

Starters;

6'0" Anton Beard
6'3" Daryl Macon
6'3" Jaylen Barford
6'9" Trey Thompson
6'10" Daniel Gafford

Second Unit:

6'5" Khalil Garland
6'5" C J Jones
6'6" Darius Hall
6'8" Dustin Thomas
6'8" Arlando Cook

6'6' Adrio Bailey
6'8" Brachen Hazen

Thompson is too good at the 4 spot to start him at the 5. He was deadly with his great passing ability at the top of the lane last year with Kingsley at the 5. Gafford will start in Kingsley's spot.

Mike likes having Senior experience at Point guard so I believe he will start 4 Seniors and the big Freshman.

Like the starting line-up, but I would swap CJ for Beard.  Feel like we need a proven ball handler with the second squad.  And depending on how Hall and Garland progresses, wouldn't be surprised to see either of them in the starting lineup.

GHG!

Hawg Red

I think we'll mostly see this lineup to start games:

F - Thompson
F - Thomas
G - Barford
G - Macon
G - Beard

Gafford, Cook, Bailey, Garland, and Jones are likely "the next five." Hall and Hazen out the outside looking in, though I expect Hall to really threaten someone's minutes (maybe Cook or Bailey). We're deep, man. Good problem to have, though I do not expect us to be as lucky as we were this offseason and not lose anyone to transfer. Hazen and Jones would be the two most logical being that Bailey got the most consistent meaningful minutes. He appears to have a defined role. I think the 3 incoming freshmen are much better than this past season's freshmen.

Faster, longer, more athletic team this year. I'd say more talented top to bottom as well. But Kingsley is a big, big loss even having had what many would consider a regression season. The team should have enough juice to achieve regular season wins in the low 20s and contend for the NCAA tournament.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 12, 2017, 07:06:43 pm

F - Thompson
F - Thomas
G - Barford
G - Macon
G - Beard

Gafford, Cook, Bailey, Garland, and Jones are likely "the next five." Hall and Hazen out the outside looking in, though I expect Hall to really threaten someone's minutes (maybe Cook or Bailey). We're deep, man. Good problem to have, though I do not expect us to be as lucky as we were this offseason and not lose anyone to transfer. Hazen and Jones would be the two most logical being that Bailey got the most consistent meaningful minutes. He appears to have a defined role. I think the 3 incoming freshmen are much better than this past season's freshmen.

Faster, longer, more athletic team this year. I'd say more talented top to bottom as well. But Kingsley is a big, big loss even having had what many would consider a regression season. The team should have enough juice to achieve regular season wins in the low 20s and contend for the NCAA tournament.

You think someone may transfer out this late?
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 12, 2017, 07:51:23 pm
You think someone may transfer out this late?

Go back over it one more time.

FineAsSwine

We're deep, man. Good problem to have, though I do not expect us to be as lucky as we were this offseason and not lose anyone to transfer. 

what did I miss?
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 12, 2017, 07:57:40 pm
what did I miss?

Considering that I used the past tense when talking about this offseason and retention, I thought I was effectively relaying that I thought we made it out of this offseason with no early defections.

But for clarity, I do not expect to lose anyone before the season, but I do expect to lose a player or two next offseason due to lack of playing time due to this season's depth + the 2018 recruiting class.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 12, 2017, 08:20:49 pm
Considering that I used the past tense when talking about this offseason and retention, I thought I was effectively relaying that I thought we made it out of this offseason with no early defections.

But for clarity, I do not expect to lose anyone before the season, but I do expect to lose a player or two next offseason due to lack of playing time due to this season's depth + the 2018 recruiting class.

Ok, for a moment there, I thought you might have been saying you had some info on a possible transfer this year. We're losing six seniors next year, can't see anyone wanting to transfer among the returnees with that many spots opening up.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on May 13, 2017, 12:28:27 am
Ok, for a moment there, I thought you might have been saying you had some info on a possible transfer this year. We're losing six seniors next year, can't see anyone wanting to transfer among the returnees with that many spots opening up.

I can. If you're Brachen Hazen and you haven't played for 2 years, and now a player like Reggie Perry is coming in (who has legit 1/2-and-done NBA potential) along with players already in the program like Darious Hall and Adrio Bailey who might jump or have already jumped you, why would you stick around? Plus, the odds say a P5 program will not go 2 straight seasons without a transfer. It was something of a miracle that we didn't lose anyone this offseason. It's the first time in Anderson's tenure that we haven't lost anyone early. It won't be the norm. Why did Jimmy Whitt transfer out? Because he saw that he was going to play, likely, behind current and incoming players.

If you're C.J. Jones and Khalil Garland comes in and gets more time than you right off the bat, and say Isaiah Joe becomes a top 75 player, don't you have to think about your fit in the program? Darious Hall could also be a factor here.

Personally, I do not think Hazen will be here as a junior for the reasons mentioned. I think/hope Jones will be, but I can see a scenario where he would leave. But he will likely have an opportunity Hazen won't.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 13, 2017, 01:26:42 am
I can. If you're Brachen Hazen and you haven't played for 2 years, and now a player like Reggie Perry is coming in (who has legit 1/2-and-done NBA potential) along with players already in the program like Darious Hall and Adrio Bailey who might jump or have already jumped you, why would you stick around? Plus, the odds say a P5 program will not go 2 straight seasons without a transfer. It was something of a miracle that we didn't lose anyone this offseason. It's the first time in Anderson's tenure that we haven't lost anyone early. It won't be the norm. Why did Jimmy Whitt transfer out? Because he saw that he was going to play, likely, behind current and incoming players.

If you're C.J. Jones and Khalil Garland comes in and gets more time than you right off the bat, and say Isaiah Joe becomes a top 75 player, don't you have to think about your fit in the program? Darious Hall could also be a factor here.

Personally, I do not think Hazen will be here as a junior for the reasons mentioned. I think/hope Jones will be, but I can see a scenario where he would leave. But he will likely have an opportunity Hazen won't.

I don't think Garland is going to take minutes from Jones. Two very different skill sets between Jones and Garland. Garland game is getting to the rim and Jones is not shy about letting it go from deep. There games actually compliment each other.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on May 13, 2017, 07:08:50 am
I don't think Garland is going to take minutes from Jones. Two very different skill sets between Jones and Garland. Garland game is getting to the rim and Jones is not shy about letting it go from deep. There games actually compliment each other.

Agreed. Kinda like Barford and Macon. Same size, both guards, but their games compliment each other well.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on May 13, 2017, 07:08:50 am

Are you suggesting that players of different skillsets can't take minutes from one another? What happened with Arlando Cook and Adrio Bailey, then?

If Garland is shooting the ball well, I could totally see him taking minutes away from Jones. Or even Hall for that matter (taking minutes from Jones). There were plenty of times when fans were calling for Jones to come in when we needed offense and he did not play. The team is not any less deep now. He's no lock to play major minutes, though we hope that he does because he is a good player. But we've seen good players transfer out before. All I'm saying is I see the possibility, especially with Hall and Garland being so good. Hall is bigger than Jones and figures to be a factor on both sides of the ball. Brace yourselves.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 13, 2017, 08:28:13 am
Are you suggesting that players of different skillsets can't take minutes from one another? What happened with Arlando Cook and Adrio Bailey, then?

If Garland is shooting the ball well, I could totally see him taking minutes away from Jones. Or even Hall for that matter (taking minutes from Jones). There were plenty of times when fans were calling for Jones to come in when we needed offense and he did not play. The team is not any less deep now. He's no lock to play major minutes, though we hope that he does because he is a good player. But we've seen good players transfer out before. All I'm saying is I see the possibility, especially with Hall and Garland being so good. Hall is bigger than Jones and figures to be a factor on both sides of the ball. Brace yourselves.

Bailey and Cook games are kind of similar because neither is strong making the mid  range shot. So they rely on hustle and getting garbage to score.

Garland is a good dude but he is not comfortable with his outside shot right now. Where have you been? I know the kid this is not a knock against him. He's working on getting better in that area but he's not where CJ was his freshman year as it relates to shooting the ball. I could see Hall starting ahead of Jones. Hall and Jones games are night and day. I really like Hall he reminds me of Ali Thompson.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on May 13, 2017, 09:14:23 am
Bailey and Cook games are kind of similar because neither is strong making the mid  range shot. So they rely on hustle and getting garbage to score.

Garland is a good dude but he is not comfortable with his outside shot right now. Where have you been? I know the kid this is not a knock against him. He's working on getting better in that area but he's not where CJ was his freshman year as it relates to shooting the ball. I could see Hall starting ahead of Jones. Hall and Jones games are night and day. I really like Hall he reminds me of Ali Thompson.

Cook showed the ability to hit a jumper with confidence. Where have you been? He's a below the rim player, unlike Bailey (who contests shots at and above the rim and has the lateral ability to stick with perimeter players). Different players. Neither are strong offensively but there are some pretty big differences in their games.

You don't have to question where I've been with Garland's shot because I said IF he's shooting the ball well. You said he's working on it and the season is 4.5 months away. If Manny Watkins can go from non-existent shooter to solid deep threat within a season, Garland could conceivably develop into a solid long-term range shooter by the start of the season. But, again, I said "if" because I'm going through scenarios and possibilities. It seems those concepts appear to be foreign around here. Such is Jumpball. Minds are often made up before they should be.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 13, 2017, 01:26:42 am

I think the opposite.. we'll see Hazen have a year similar to Trey's 2nd year... there's room for him... you can't play 12/13 players anyway... he'll come in handy as a senior with possibly both our Bigs gone... someone surprises next year of the Soph's... CJ, AB?  maybe Brachen...

GuvHog

F - Thompson
F - Thomas
G - Barford
G - Macon
G - Beard

Why would you start Thompson at the 5 spot when he is deadly at the 4 spot??
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: GuvHog on May 13, 2017, 02:38:57 pm

I guess you will be asking that question all next season

Hawg Red

Because it's 2017 and strict position labels like what you're pushing are becoming obsolete. If you'll notice, I listed Trey as a F. Never said he was a center. Some teams don't play a center. There is no rule that you have to.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Dominicanhog on May 13, 2017, 12:51:33 pm
I think the opposite.. we'll see Hazen have a year similar to Trey's 2nd year... there's room for him... you can't play 12/13 players anyway... he'll come in handy as a senior with possibly both our Bigs gone... someone surprises next year of the Soph's... CJ, AB?  maybe Brachen...

Thomas, Bailey, Cook all already ahead of him and seniors. Reggie Perry coming in next season is going to command at least 25 MPG. He could definitely see more PT as a junior but will it be enough for him to stick around? I don't see him getting the same kind of minutes jump that Trey did as a sophomore to be able to make that kind of jump. Trey benefitted from A LOT of roster turnover. Very shallow team that season and he was able to play more than he normally would have. Don't see Hazen having that same opportunity on a deep roster. He's have to beat out more than one player for that to happen. Trey had to beat out no one and got PT by default. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 09, 2017, 08:13:35 pm
6'3" Jaylen Barford
6'3" Daryl Macon
6'5" CJ Jones
6'8" Dustin Thomas
6'10" Daniel Gafford

6'0" Anton Beard
6'5" Khalil Garland
6'6" Darious Hall
6'6" Adrio Bailey
6'9" Trey Thompson

6'8" Arlando Cook
6'8" Brachen Hazen

We can debate switching this guy or that guy, but regardless, that is a Top 25 caliber roster. WPS! Can't wait for bball season.
I would agree with your optimism if we had an effective PF.  Thomas and Cook are not 6'8 and play even shorter than their height.    Bailey is an athletic 6'5 SF with out those skills so Mike plays him at the 4.  We will see how effective Bailey can be here when he has to play a lot of minutes. Gafford will get us lots of rebounds and an eraser inside but few points this year.  Who do we get our inside points from?  Trey is ok but not an effective scorer. 

Also another unknown is Jones.  Can he be a guy who plays good defense? Will he learn to drive the ball and not just a spot up shooter.  In that first group who will be our PG? Will Barford or Macon be effective here?  They are combo guards and right now better at scoring. Can one of them make that transition?

redleg

I see a base starting lineup of:
Anton Beard 6'0" 190
Daryl Macon 6'3" 185
Jaylen Barford 6'3" 210
Dustin Thomas 6'8" 225
Dan Gafford 6'11" 225

I can see any of the other teammates interchanged multiple times throughout each game. Hopefully, Trey Thompson can continue to elevate his play so that he is a serviceable substitute in the paint for Gafford.

I am looking forward to watching Gafford and Perry on the court together beginning in the 2018-19 season.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: redleg on May 16, 2017, 11:26:44 am
I see a base starting lineup of:
Anton Beard 6'0" 190
Daryl Macon 6'3" 185
Jaylen Barford 6'3" 210
Dustin Thomas 6'8" 225
Dan Gafford 6'11" 225

I can see any of the other teammates interchanged multiple times throughout each game. Hopefully, Trey Thompson can continue to elevate his play so that he is a serviceable substitute in the paint for Gafford.

I am looking forward to watching Gafford and Perry on the court together beginning in the 2018-19 season.

Trey will start, I will be shocked if he doesn't. Gafford will be good, but will struggle to stay out of foul trouble for a while, I predict.

Hogs49ers

So I just read this entire thread and after seeing about 100 different potential lineups posted, I think it is pretty clear that we could play multiple winning lineups next year!  It is really exciting me to have this much talent and one of the biggest benefits of this kind of depth is the competition this will create at all positions.  I can see all of our players seeing dramatic improvement over the next season bc every single starter will have someone right on their heels pushing for playing time!  Very exciting times to be a Hog fan, especially when you think what we will have coming in in 2018 to continue this kind of depth!  Go Hogs!
SCREW Vandy!

chiti66

Quote from: gogamer on May 10, 2017, 10:02:06 am
Barford
Macon
Bailey - did anyone else see him defend against NC?  just checking
Thompson
Gafford (If he defends well), Thomas/Cook (if Gafford doesn't defend well)

I know "Thomas is not a 5" but I don't buy the 2-3-4-5 mandate that this board has put in place.
Actually I can see this as well. Bailey replaces Manny....more size and athleticism at the 3. 

chiti66

Barford
Macon
Bailey
Trey
Gafford

Beard
Garland
CJ
Cook
Thomas

Hall
Hazen

Top 20 squad and definite tourney team, let's make it happen CMA!

Woo Pig!!!!

tophawg19

because Gafford isn't ready yet to handle the Physical play inside yet.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: chiti66 on May 18, 2017, 04:11:58 pm
Actually I can see this as well. Bailey replaces Manny....more size and athleticism at the 3.
I really think/hope Hall will be the guy who replaces Manny. More refined as a player than Bailey already. Seems to have a great IQ and would make winning plays.

mhuff

Quote from: niels_boar on May 12, 2017, 12:43:04 pm
Trey was not asked to conserve fouls last season.  Kingsley went from 7 minutes per PF backing up Portis to 10 min per PF as a starter.  Trey would cut his fouling down considerably if he would stay vertical on contests, instead of swatting, and then getting the rebound, which he does very well.

Trey and Kingsley played well together at the end of the season. They should have played more together and Trey would have had less fouls. Being the enforcer is a tough role when one is having to make up for other players not staying with their man. It is better when the task is shared. PF has been our weakest link for years. Trey has an excellent BB IQ and passing skills. These are reasons why he should have played more in the past and his freshman year shouldn't have been wasted.

chiti66

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 19, 2017, 09:24:53 am
I really think/hope Hall will be the guy who replaces Manny. More refined as a player than Bailey already. Seems to have a great IQ and would make winning plays.

I do agree, but will he be ready is the question.

labb

All the hype on the incoming kids is great but no one has any idea how they will adapt to D1 ball. The kids that were there last season and did not get minutes will be a leg up on all of them.  It is as always, wait and see.

Hawg Red

Quote from: labb on May 19, 2017, 03:09:15 pm
All the hype on the incoming kids is great but no one has any idea how they will adapt to D1 ball. The kids that were there last season and did not get minutes will be a leg up on all of them.  It is as always, wait and see.

Sure we have an idea. Don't be silly. We can look at past freshmen performance will considering minutes played and recruiting ranking. You can definitely get an idea. If you're talking about all the Darious Hall starting talk, I do agree there that it's a reach. Gafford is probably the only freshman I'd think could come in here and win a starting spot. Hall or Garland could win a starting spot because that wing/3rd spot has the most question marks, but I wouldn't try to boldly proclaim anyone there, even C.J. Jones (though, like you said, he would seem to have the leg up). We'll just have to see what happens, of course, but we shouldn't pretend that we have no concept of how these freshmen could play.

cableguy

Bailey
Barford
Macon
Thompson
Beard/Hall

I believe Hall gets significant playing time because of his length on defense and he adds ball handling to a team without a true point guard. I've been a of Darious Hall for a while. I think this season will be more or a learning year for Garland like it was for CJ Jones this year. Garland could earn more playing time if he is wiling to be the new Manuale Watkins on defense, which is very possible. Gafford will be in the top 7 rotation. Mike Anderson is going to give Gafford as much playing time as possible to get him ready. If Bailey and Gafford can learn to play together that will be awesome. 

HoopS

Macon
Barford
Bailey
Thomas
Thompson

Beard
Jones
Garland
Cook
Gafford

Hall will find minutes as well.

gmarv

It sure looks like we have all 11 guys who could get double digit minutes next year.This will be a very deep team.
Macon
Barford
Thompson
Beard
Thomas

Gafford
Bailey
Cook
Hall
Jones/Garland

redleg

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 18, 2017, 04:59:08 pm
because Gafford isn't ready yet to handle the Physical play inside yet.
What gives you that impression?  ???
Everything I have seen concerning Gafford is that he is a very physical player that goes hard after rebounds and blocking shots. I fully expect Gafford to start at center and lead the team in rebounds and blocked shots, and maybe even average double figures in scoring. He has the skill set to be on the 2018 SEC All-Freshman Team.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Hawg Red

Gafford is ready physically and athletically. There will be a learning curve but this kid dominated any competition he played in high school. He'll get it figured out but he will be a load for opposing bigs to handle even as a freshman.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 24, 2017, 09:16:38 am
Gafford is ready physically and athletically. There will be a learning curve but this kid dominated any competition he played in high school. He'll get it figured out but he will be a load for opposing bigs to handle even as a freshman.

Gafford's biggest issue will be getting in foul trouble. I don't think he will, but if he did start, he could have a lot of Moses Kingsley/Marshawn Powell 2 fouls before the first media timeout games. He will be fine defensively and on the boards otherwise.