Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do these coaches contracts get fixed?

Started by Drop the Mike, October 04, 2017, 09:45:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfnHog

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 01:29:12 pm

Does it not bother you that bielema has zero negative financial consequences if he never wins another football game at arkansas? He could sleep late everyday, put next to zero effort recruiting, and get blown out by 50 points and the university is still obligated to pay him his full buyout? Because short of pulling a pitino or petrino he's guaranteed his money.

Based on your suppositions in the example above I believe that somewhere in the contract a case could be made for "dereliction of duty" and a show cause could be effected to void the buyout. All that being said, I seriously doubt the haters and supporters of Bielema will have this scenario as talking points. Next?
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

DoctorSusscrofa

If you want to learn how to negotiate with a coach and his agent, lawyer, and accountant, I suggest you get some experience by hiring a coach.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Drop the Mike

[quote author=rhames link=topic=638925.msg11004144#msg11004144 date=1507143085

You're mad that Bielema isn't winning enough and you're taking it out on the contract which is kind of funny because if he doesn't get to 6 wins he will probably be paid 15MM to go away.
[/quote]

Yes! You get it! i am mad at the 15 million he'll get to drastically under perform

hogsanity

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 02:04:53 pm

You're mad that Bielema isn't winning enough and you're taking it out on the contract which is kind of funny because if he doesn't get to 6 wins he will probably be paid 15MM to go away.

Yes! You get it! i am mad at the 15 million he'll get to drastically under perform

If this was not the norm for P% coaches, I would agree with you, but they all have buyouts I find absurd.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on October 04, 2017, 11:16:35 am

I mean that's what he got paid.....which is about a million less than the next coasch in the West

And that's what LSU paid him so by definition that's his marker value.

And they may finish last in the West so in a sense they are getting what they paid for 

I think LSU hired him on the cheap, at least $2m less than Herman, due to Miles buyout.

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 02:04:53 pm

Are you paying the buyout? Why would you be mad? What difference does it make to you? He will be getting he 15MM to go away so how could he under perform then?

Seems like maybe you could put your effort into caring about other things. Things you have control over. Might enjoy life a little more!
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 02:06:25 pm
I think LSU hired him on the cheap, at least $2m less than Herman, due to Miles buyout.

I agree.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

hogsanity

Quote from: rhames on October 04, 2017, 02:07:24 pm

Are you paying the buyout? Why would you be mad? What difference does it make to you? He will be getting he 15MM to go away so how could he under perform then?

Seems like maybe you could put your effort into caring about other things. Things you have control over. Might enjoy life a little more!

Careful, for some Hog football apparently is all they have.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 02:11:50 pm
Careful, for some Hog football apparently is all they have.

Hey I'm someone who has been critical of the coaches, although in a reasonable way. This is just a silly thing to be upset about.

hogsanity

Quote from: rhames on October 04, 2017, 02:13:15 pm

Hey I'm someone who has been critical of the coaches, although in a reasonable way. This is just a silly thing to be upset about.

I agree. I just think some people, not saying you, are too wrapped up in the outcome of a game played by 18-22 yr olds.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 02:06:25 pm

Haha! Comparing Herman to Orgeron! Might as well say they saved 7 million on not hiring Saban back

rhames

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 02:17:12 pm
I agree. I just think some people, not saying you, are too wrapped up in the outcome of a game played by 18-22 yr olds.

Indeed

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 02:19:27 pm
Haha! Comparing Herman to Orgeron! Might as well say they saved 7 million on not hiring Saban back

He wasn't comparing........

Drop the Mike

Quote from: rhames on October 04, 2017, 02:20:30 pm

He wasn't comparing........

He was comparing Orgerons market value to Hermans market value

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 02:24:26 pm
He was comparing Orgerons market value to Hermans market value

No he said they saved money by hiring orgeron and missing out on Herman

If I say I saved money by going to McDonald's by not going to Ruth's Chris doesn't mean I'm comparing them because they aren't compareble. Two totally different options.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: rhames on October 04, 2017, 02:07:24 pm

Well I have been a season ticket holder and contributor to the razorback foundation for the past 11 years, so yes my money would go toward the buyout. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the U of A only pays a small portion of his salary with the majority being paid from the foundation. I also believe that any buyout comes from the razorback foundation.

However if Uncle Jerry wants to swoop in and pay the buyout then I won't say a word, and I'll be fine with it.

rhames

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 02:52:39 pm
Well I have been a season ticket holder and contributor to the razorback foundation for the past 11 years, so yes my money would go toward the buyout. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the U of A only pays a small portion of his salary with the majority being paid from the foundation. I also believe that any buyout comes from the razorback foundation.

However if Uncle Jerry wants to swoop in and pay the buyout then I won't say a word, and I'll be fine with it.

Cool so let's do some math. How much do you pay a year? Let's compare that percentage wise to the buyout and that is the number, percentage wise, of how much you're allowed to be mad

The buyout would  be payed out of the revenue stream that includes SEC network money, along with donations.

You also have a choice to not donate.

GoHogs1091

Their contracts won't get fixed.

At some point all 3 schools (Arkansas, LSU, and Tennessee) will have to pay the excessive undeserved buyout.

Then, at 2 of the schools the A.D. will probably be shown the door.  Those 2 being LSU and Tennessee.

ricepig

Quote from: rhames on October 04, 2017, 02:57:51 pm

Cool so let's do some math. How much do you pay a year? Let's compare that percentage wise to the buyout and that is the number, percentage wise, of how much you're allowed to be mad

The buyout would  be payed out of the revenue stream that includes SEC network money, along with donations.

Actually, the Foundation is the third party guarantee of the buyout.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: rhames on October 04, 2017, 02:57:51 pm

I just went back and re-read your posts from this thread. In all honesty do you have a personal connection to Jeff long? His wife, or daughter perhaps? If so I totally get the blind loyalty.

You may be the first person I've heard that thinks these coaches contracts are totally fair and that there is no need or possibility of a need to rethink the way they are structured. You and I are just destined to disagree about it.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 04:27:57 pm
I just went back and re-read your posts from this thread. In all honesty do you have a personal connection to Jeff long? His wife, or daughter perhaps? If so I totally get the blind loyalty.

You may be the first person I've heard that thinks these coaches contracts are totally fair and that there is no need or possibility of a need to rethink the way they are structured. You and I are just destined to disagree about it.

I don't think he's saying it's "fair." He's stating that the contracts just are the way they are. It's not like the UofA is the only school with coaching contracts like BB's.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

rhames

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 04:25:15 pm
Actually, the Foundation is the third party guarantee of the buyout.

Good to know

rhames

I'm his best friend's cousin's neighbor

All I'm pointing out is that his contract is pretty normal compared to other coaches at this level

Drop the Mike

Quote from: HogPharmer on October 04, 2017, 04:32:22 pm
I don't think he's saying it's "fair." He's stating that the contracts just are the way they are. It's not like the UofA is the only school with coaching contracts like BB's.

Hence me starting a thread with intentions of discussing ways of fixing these bad contracts. Instead all he is saying is that this is the way it is, no way to change it which is total bs. All it will take is for one forward thinking ad to add a few university based incentives for the contracts to start to be tweaked

jcbville

October 04, 2017, 04:40:43 pm #74 Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:58:35 pm by jcbville

If I may be so bold. He didnt say they were fair. Fair is a relative term. What he said is they represent where the market is at currently, regardless of whether or not you think the contracts are fair, they are in fact reality. They are reality because they are the current market standard. And I'll shock your neurons a little more and tell you they are the current market standard in large part due to insanely fickle fan bases (Especially in the SEC). Contracts asked for by coaches and their agents and given by the schools to insulate the coach and the athletic dept. So that the ADs wont become scared politicians swaying to the every whim of the mob when they don't feel like they're getting their way. Its a check against emotion and the mob mentality.

A promise to the coach of a certain timeline of protection.

ricepig

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 04:36:32 pm
Hence me starting a thread with intentions of discussing ways of fixing these bad contracts. Instead all he is saying is that this is the way it is, no way to change it which is total bs. All it will take is for one forward thinking ad to add a few university based incentives for the contracts to start to be tweaked

Good luck on your next hire if school "A" is offering a full 6 year guarantee.

HogPharmer

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 04:44:47 pm

Exactly... If ONE school with the "forward thinking AD" comes out and does what is being suggested, they will lose whatever top notch coach they are going after. If you could somehow get all the schools on board at the same time (which is literally impossible) to change the way these contracts are written, it may be possible. You're (not you rp) basically asking for a lemon law on coaches.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

I guess the answer to the op is just pay the fiddler.  It hurts, but pay.

Real Question is how did this happen:  I think it was one of the principals, maybe Peter, i can't remember.

Anyway, these coaches have risen to their level of incompetence.

Drop the Mike

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 04:44:47 pm

This is where I disagree. Coaches, especially ones like we have in question here, have never failed in implementing their system and producing wins. Sumlin at Houston, BB at Wisconsin, jones at cincy all left those schools to jump into the cage fight known as the sec. Not for one second did any of them doubt that they would be successful. Cue the BB press conference were he says that he came to win the sec.

This is why it's not far fetched to believe that an AD could write in the contract that he is offering 4-5 years guaranteed and on the 5th and 6th seasons the coach needs at least a .500 record in conference to retain the full guaranteed money. I can't believe that would be an obstacle for a coach dying to be in the sec and has never had a .500 record before.

WilsonHog

Now is as good a place as any to ask what incentive an established coach has to come to a middle of the pack program in the SEC. I can't think of one. That might even be more of an issue if Bielema can't make it work here.

ArkansasI

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 04, 2017, 07:51:56 pm
Now is as good a place as any to ask what incentive an established coach has to come to a middle of the pack program in the SEC. I can't think of one. That might even be more of an issue if Bielema can't make it work here.
Exactly.  I think the OP makes an interesting point about setting the tone for future contracts.  Seems a lot of us are stuck on what is rather than what could (even should) be.

There are no guarantees in the business of college football.

My gosh, we turn pretty hard against these guys when things aren't going extremely well.  I wonder if a coach came in at a reasonable number... would Razorback fans better support the coach when things aren't going well?  A poor fellow getting paid just $1M against all these guys earning 3x's as much... Would we root for him as an underdog or would we think we'd win more if we'd just paid more?

Troy doesn't spend near the resources LSU does on facilities and coaches.  Yet, the Trojans beat the Tigers in Death Valley last weekend.  The Hogs have lost games to Toledo, and others I prefer not to recall.  It doesn't happen frequently, but it happens enough to let us know that there is more parity among coaching talent than we care to admit. 

Or maybe the Hogs should throw $3M at the Troy coach.

I think it is fair to wonder if we might rekindle the Razorback fight in all of us if coaching salaries weren't so disproportionate to our own.

ricepig

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 07:49:30 pm
This is where I disagree. Coaches, especially ones like we have in question here, have never failed in implementing their system and producing wins. Sumlin at Houston, BB at Wisconsin, jones at cincy all left those schools to jump into the cage fight known as the sec. Not for one second did any of them doubt that they would be successful. Cue the BB press conference were he says that he came to win the sec.

This is why it's not far fetched to believe that an AD could write in the contract that he is offering 4-5 years guaranteed and on the 5th and 6th seasons the coach needs at least a .500 record in conference to retain the full guaranteed money. I can't believe that would be an obstacle for a coach dying to be in the sec and has never had a .500 record before.

That's what the above had, and after a couple of years, they got extensions with bigger salaries and buyouts. In case you haven't noticex, the price to pay poker has gone up tremendously in the past 5-6 years. I'm guess all 128 FBS AD's are  as dum as a box of rocks. While your idea might be good in theory, good luck in getting it practiced.

ricepig

Quote from: ArkansasI on October 04, 2017, 10:16:47 pm
Exactly.  I think the OP makes an interesting point about setting the tone for future contracts.  Seems a lot of us are stuck on what is rather than what could (even should) be.

There are no guarantees in the business of college football.

My gosh, we turn pretty hard against these guys when things aren't going extremely well.  I wonder if a coach came in at a reasonable number... would Razorback fans better support the coach when things aren't going well?  A poor fellow getting paid just $1M against all these guys earning 3x's as much... Would we root for him as an underdog or would we think we'd win more if we'd just paid more?

Troy doesn't spend near the resources LSU does on facilities and coaches.  Yet, the Trojans beat the Tigers in Death Valley last weekend.  The Hogs have lost games to Toledo, and others I prefer not to recall.  It doesn't happen frequently, but it happens enough to let us know that there is more parity among coaching talent than we care to admit. 

Or maybe the Hogs should throw $3M at the Troy coach.

I think it is fair to wonder if we might rekindle the Razorback fight in all of us if coaching salaries weren't so disproportionate to our own.

Have you quit going to the movies, quit watching any sports, quit shopping at "XYZ"? If one is going to let the salaries of someone else effect their enjoyment of something, then you should never leave the house.

hawganatic

Quote from: Drop the Mike on October 04, 2017, 07:49:30 pm

Coaches aren't dying to be in the SEC.  They are coming here BECAUSE of the guaranteed money they are being offered.

Do you think a coach is going to go to a school like Vanderbilt or Kentucky if the only criteria they are going to be judged on is a .500+ conference record?  The SEC is the most visible, most competitive, most grimding conference to win in.  No coach that has other options is going to step into that unless it is one of the elites (Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, FL) without having some kind of parachute for if things don't go as planned.

You're talking about uprooting their family, essentially putting their career on the line (BB is no where near as hot a name as he used to be), and uprooting his assistant's lives/families.  They aren't going to do to do that unless they have some kind of guarantee that the school isn't going to have a knee jerk reaction to a game like LSU had last weekend.

As far as coaches having low to no buyouts on their end, they are the employee, not the employer.  The employer always carries the heavier burden.  Do you have any financial consequences if you leave your job for a better gig?  The company you work for sure does.

hawganatic

Quote from: ArkansasI on October 04, 2017, 10:16:47 pm
My gosh, we turn pretty hard against these guys when things aren't going extremely well.  I wonder if a coach came in at a reasonable number... would Razorback fans better support the coach when things aren't going well? 

You just described why the contracts have to have these huge buyouts.  Because the fanbase does turn so hard against them. 

And if a coach came in at a mill, the general attitude would be "we need to open up the check book and get one of these 4 mill a year guys," or "what kind of coach with any confidence comes in that low.  He doesn't even know his own value, how can he run a program?"

rhames

Quote from: hawganatic on October 05, 2017, 07:25:05 am
Coaches aren't dying to be in the SEC.  They are coming here BECAUSE of the guaranteed money they are being offered.

Do you think a coach is going to go to a school like Vanderbilt or Kentucky if the only criteria they are going to be judged on is a .500+ conference record?  The SEC is the most visible, most competitive, most grimding conference to win in.  No coach that has other options is going to step into that unless it is one of the elites (Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, FL) without having some kind of parachute for if things don't go as planned.

You're talking about uprooting their family, essentially putting their career on the line (BB is no where near as hot a name as he used to be), and uprooting his assistant's lives/families.  They aren't going to do to do that unless they have some kind of guarantee that the school isn't going to have a knee jerk reaction to a game like LSU had last weekend.

As far as coaches having low to no buyouts on their end, they are the employee, not the employer.  The employer always carries the heavier burden.  Do you have any financial consequences if you leave your job for a better gig?  The company you work for sure does.

I'm sure chili's would be able to replace him pretty quickly

hawganatic

Quote from: rhames on October 05, 2017, 07:29:04 am

I'm sure chili's would be able to replace him pretty quickly

Right, but then the Chili's management has to take time out of their day to interview, do some kind of background check, and then take other resources to teach his replacement how to clear and wipe down the tables, replace the urinal cakes, and mop when the restaurant is closed.  It's not a hard job, but it is still a resource drain...

All the while he's living the good life down the street at McDonald's making that fat $$$ working the deep fryer.

rhames

Quote from: hawganatic on October 05, 2017, 08:29:45 am
Right, but then the Chili's management has to take time out of their day to interview, do some kind of background check, and then take other resources to teach his replacement how to clear and wipe down the tables, replace the urinal cakes, and mop when the restaurant is closed.  It's not a hard job, but it is still a resource drain...

All the while he's living the good life down the street at McDonald's making that fat $$$ working the deep fryer.

+1

DoctorSusscrofa

Let's say for argument's sake that BB's agent wanted the big buyout clause and suggested that without it BB could entertain other offers from teams that might be willing to agree to such a buyout.  At the time it happened we all still had some optimism that BB might go from 7-6 in year two to 8-5 in year three, and maybe 9-4 or 10-3 in year four. NOW,  of course, we don't have that optimism any more and big buyouts seem ugly.  But what if Long had said no to a contract extension and a buyout clause and after year three BB had bolted to some other team that was willing to take him off our hands and pay whatever he wanted or needed in order to leave?  Would we have loved starting over?  Would we have said good riddance at that time?  ADs have to negotiate and they have to make guesses about what a coach can do.  And most of BBs worst failings have been things nobody expected.  No one seriously worried (before it happened) that we'd lose to Toledo. (Sure, we knew Toledo was one of the better small schools, but nobody was really terrified that they'd beat us.)  And after the Miss St game last year, not many were thinking, "Oh, my God we have to play Missouri. Run for your lives!"  And I don't think many of us were thinking during halftime against VT that we'll get outscored 30+ to zip in the second half.  We may have worried about whether we could hold on to win, but most of us weren't thinking that we'd do another total 100% meltdown.  I figured we'd score 7 or 10 and VT would score enough to either barely beat us or barely lose, but I thought we'd at least have a decent showing after having done well in the first half.
I just believe that the buyout was a gamble on a coach that seemed to be moving in the right direction at the time.  We wanted to keep a coach for more than 4 years, and we gambled it was him.  And then he managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. So we're P O'd because we gambled and it blew up on us.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

rhames

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 05, 2017, 10:55:01 am
Let's say for argument's sake that BB's agent wanted the big buyout clause and suggested that without it BB could entertain other offers from teams that might be willing to agree to such a buyout.  At the time it happened we all still had some optimism that BB might go from 7-6 in year two to 8-5 in year three, and maybe 9-4 or 10-3 in year four. NOW,  of course, we don't have that optimism any more and big buyouts seem ugly.  But what if Long had said no to a contract extension and a buyout clause and after year three BB had bolted to some other team that was willing to take him off our hands and pay whatever he wanted or needed in order to leave?  Would we have loved starting over?  Would we have said good riddance at that time?  ADs have to negotiate and they have to make guesses about what a coach can do.  And most of BBs worst failings have been things nobody expected.  No one seriously worried (before it happened) that we'd lose to Toledo. (Sure, we knew Toledo was one of the better small schools, but nobody was really terrified that they'd beat us.)  And after the Miss St game last year, not many were thinking, "Oh, my God we have to play Missouri. Run for your lives!"  And I don't think many of us were thinking during halftime against VT that we'll get outscored 30+ to zip in the second half.  We may have worried about whether we could hold on to win, but most of us weren't thinking that we'd do another total 100% meltdown.  I figured we'd score 7 or 10 and VT would score enough to either barely beat us or barely lose, but I thought we'd at least have a decent showing after having done well in the first half.
I just believe that the buyout was a gamble on a coach that seemed to be moving in the right direction at the time.  We wanted to keep a coach for more than 4 years, and we gambled it was him.  And then he managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. So we're P O'd because we gambled and it blew up on us.

Except the buyout for him to leave for another job isn't 15MM.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: rhames on October 05, 2017, 11:13:42 am

Except the buyout for him to leave for another job isn't 15MM.

That doesn't change the fact that a coach might be more likely to leave if the school doesn't agree to a big buyout and he might be less inclined to leave if they agree to give him a big buyout clause.  The big buyout clause gives him cover while he's trying to build his program.  If an AD refuses to grant such a buyout, he might be inclined to entertain other schools offers after an 8 win season rather than risk another season at a school where building the program is difficult.

rhames

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 05, 2017, 11:45:24 am
That doesn't change the fact that a coach might be more likely to leave if the school doesn't agree to a big buyout and he might be less inclined to leave if they agree to give him a big buyout clause.  The big buyout clause gives him cover while he's trying to build his program.  If an AD refuses to grant such a buyout, he might be inclined to entertain other schools offers after an 8 win season rather than risk another season at a school where building the program is difficult.

True 

DoctorSusscrofa

In our case it backfired. BB still managed to regress in year 4, lose to a team he really couldn't afford to lose to (Toledo), and lose two games this year to teams we fans have historical reasons for believing we should always beat more than they beat us.  He got the buyout and won the Unpopular Coach trifecta.

HotlantaHog

Have no idea if CBB will survive this year or next.

Whoever is next, I hope Arkansas doesn't set up a big buyout in the future... if they want to leave, let them... if we want to fire him, let us... if that is a problem hiring a coach, hire an up and comer -- which is what we are likely to get anyway.