Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Classic Heath choke job

Started by firecampbell, January 18, 2006, 12:03:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

firecampbell

It's no secret that the basketball program is not what we hog fans grew up watching with the triplets, May-Day, Big Nasty and that if we didn't make the final 4 the whole state was up in arms.  Stan is a great person and seems to be a solid recruiter but is the clock ticking on Stan?  If we don't make the tournament this year, what do you think....he should stay or go?  Personally I really like Stan but has there been enough time for him to produce a few more quality wins that we've been seeing or we're we just in that bad of shape when he showed up? ???

sooie dog

Pragmatic PiG

Are they actually missing the tourney or are they just tired?   ;D

HogHeaded™

Why sometimes Y ?

ThaRockArkansas

This is a no-brainer and Heath knows it as well. 

No tourney ! No Heath.

I thought Heath should have been gone last year after our embarrassing losses to 2 weak sec teams in Auburn and Tennessee....blowouts by the way

Hogs4Ever

Heath should go if we aren't dancing in March but it's unlikely that he will given the free lunch HDN has had the past two years. 

dman

pigfeet

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on January 18, 2006, 12:06:52 pm
Are they actually missing the tourney or are they just tired? ;D

They are physically and mentally exhausted.

Heath will probably get 1 more year due to Nolan's lawsuit, but I feel he should be gone as well as Houston should have been fired after this year.

WindyCityHog

Lunardi on ESPN is projecting the Hogs as #10 seed in his "Bracketology" feature....

We can only hope.

pikehog

he stays, Frank can't not fire Hutt and fire Heath. If we thought the racist comments were bad when Nolan asked for a buyout and got it, just wait and see what will happen if Heath gets sacked

Biggus Piggus

I don't want to be in the position Kansas State is in.  They had a perfectly good coach in Dana Altman, the first successor to Lon Kruger, and they fired him after four seasons.  In those four, K-State was 68-54 with one NCAAT trip and three NITs.  Kruger had gone 81-46 with four NCAAT trips, and of course Kruger was the guy who followed Jack Hartman (and before him Cotton Fitzsimmons, Tex Winter and Jack Gardner).  Altman got no slack, and that led K-State to hire the bumbling Tom Asbury.  He got six seasons and was slightly under .500 when he was fired.  Jim Wooldridge (known as a mid-major head coach who assisted Tim Floyd with the Bulls in an inglorious run) got the job, and in the middle of his sixth season he's slightly under .500.  Asbury and Wooldridge have buried whatever tradition Kansas State had.

I don't think we're in the position K-State was with Altman.  Heath to date has been a very ordinary basketball coach.  More like Asbury or Wooldridge, only we're not sitting on the bad end of a dozen mediocre seasons, just five.  Cannot afford to extend this thing much further.  Don't let the program piddle away, be decisive if the need arises.  If this team collapses again in February and March, the direction will be obvious.  Exactly whom to hire won't be.
[CENSORED]!

imahoggie

Arkansan by birth. Razorback fan by the grace of god.

oldbooniehog

Four years in a row with no NCAA tourney appearance?

C'mon, do I have to do the math for you?

How many seasons in a row did Nolan go with zero NCAA tourney appearances?

How many seasons in a row did Eddie Sutton go with zero NCAA tourney appearances?

Those who argue that four years with zero NCAA appearances will still get Heath a pass because of charges of "racism" and the Nolan lawsuit aren't doing major college basketball math.

oldbooniehog

LRCentralTiger

Heath stays bet on it today.  Nutt stays because it is Frank's way.  Win, lose or draw they are at Arkansas and folks better get use to it.  Something more drastic than losing will have to happen to replace either.  Nutt is safer than before since Gus and Mitch are in the fold.  Nutt has landed some bigtime recruits but just has not been able to get the team going as a whole.  :razorback:

claycohog

Heath goes and he will not put up a fight.  He is aware of what is expected of him this year.  A resignation will be given if he doesn't make the NCAA tourney.  He had rather be a little further north anyway.  You will be surprised at who we are looking at to replace Heath.  I have talked to a MOD and we have decided to keep my source quiet for the moment.  You all know the MOD very well.

CiriusPorker

...will he stay or go?  Frank knows..and I think you guys know full well that Frank will make the best decision for our program.  (note:  sarcastic intonation).

MJ2

He's already bought a Winnebago for that quick get-away.   He's gone.  Won't be a "firing" but will be a mutual parting with him getting $400K per yr for 3 years.

SupaCrawf

I think he has one more year, as long as his team doesn't melt down.  That is, if they start losing consistently at BWA, he's gone.  If not, he stays on the 'promise' of next year. (Sonny Weems)
I'm kind of a big deal.

Topcat

If Heath wants to be here after this season he will be regardless of his record. You can't fire him after keeping HDN here after the last two years. HDN's record is 18-17 over the last three seasons, if you fire Heath it'll look like Nolan was right about Broyles and the U of A. Anybody that doesn't believe that must have their head in the sand. You better believe the university has to afraid of another lawsuit following the Richardson debacle.   

John Futrall

hoggystyle78

I agree Topcat, while it may be time for Stan to head back up north after this BB season, it is my opinion that there's no way JFB can fire Stan and keep nutt around. Even if it has nothing to do with race, you can bet the national media as well as competing recruiters will use it to hurt the Hog program. Heath gets yet one more year, but if nutt turns the FB team around next year, as many on here think he will, then Stan had better win and win alot or he will be gone and the BB program will get some new blood.
Quote from: Topcat on January 18, 2006, 04:41:08 pm
If Heath wants to be here after this season he will be regardless of his record. You can't fire him after keeping HDN here after the last two years. HDN's record is 18-17 over the last three seasons, if you fire Heath it'll look like Nolan was right about Broyles and the U of A. Anybody that doesn't believe that must have their head in the sand. You better believe the university has to afraid of another lawsuit following the Richardson debacle.

Topcat

Thanks Hoggy, with our new support staff for HDN it puts Heath in a real fix. He'll have to win next year. All of this is true providing HDN stays out the way of the new coordinators, which is left to be seen.

three

The thing is, Heath DOES NOT want to be here.  He does not like Arkansas, and his wife hates it.  Anytime she doesn't get her way she cries racism.  To the point of the post, if he does not make the Big Dance (and I don't see how he could) he wont be back.  It's perfectly legit to fire someone who hasn't even made the Big Dance (and it remains to be seen if he'll get an NIT bid) in 4 years regardless of what race that coach is.  No one with any shred of sanity would believe it was racist, that said, I'm not sure Nolan wouldn't offer to pay for Stan's legal fees.

What I find funny is this, if you had asked Stan in November, he'd say NCAAs or bust.  I'm curious as to what the answer would be now.  He keeps saying don't count his first three years.  He's not under .500 because he counts his year at Kent State, he doesnt have a horrible road record because he doesn't count the last three years, he sees himself as 0-1 on the road.  I just don't know how he judges himself.  Nolan would admit he hadn't gotten the job done......then he'd claim he won a NC and everyone should get off his back.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

Razorback88

He should be gone if they don't dance but I can't see him getting fired.  Hopefully we won't have to discuss this in March!

tbhogfan

Go Hogs!

Topcat

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if the firing would be legit and what a sane person would do doesn't matter if there's a chance the race card will be played. Since when is political correctness sane??

CiriusPorker

Quote from: three on January 18, 2006, 05:06:10 pm
The thing is, Heath DOES NOT want to be here.  He does not like Arkansas, and his wife hates it.  Anytime she doesn't get her way she cries racism.  To the point of the post, if he does not make the Big Dance (and I don't see how he could) he wont be back.  It's perfectly legit to fire someone who hasn't even made the Big Dance (and it remains to be seen if he'll get an NIT bid) in 4 years regardless of what race that coach is.  No one with any shred of sanity would believe it was racist, that said, I'm not sure Nolan wouldn't offer to pay for Stan's legal fees.

What I find funny is this, if you had asked Stan in November, he'd say NCAAs or bust.  I'm curious as to what the answer would be now.  He keeps saying don't count his first three years.  He's not under .500 because he counts his year at Kent State, he doesnt have a horrible road record because he doesn't count the last three years, he sees himself as 0-1 on the road.  I just don't know how he judges himself.  Nolan would admit he hadn't gotten the job done......then he'd claim he won a NC and everyone should get off his back.

nice post, three.

With a little bit of legal training, I can point out that the argument that Stan can stay as long as he wants because Houston has not been fired is a really bad legal argument.  It's not legit.  Houston has taken the football team to post season 6 out of 8 years....Stan has not done it once yet.  I don't think Stan will play the race card, simply because it's clear he's not passionate about coaching here.  He'll be fine if he gets fired.  He'll be able to land another job because of his connections, and reputation as a good recruiter - and of course a 'classy' guy.

holyj04

I think he definatly goes. There's no way we should miss the tourney with the talent that we have this year. We may not win it but we should be able to make a good run. But for sure he's gone if we don't this year.

claycohog

There is a difference between turning basketball team around and a football team around.  Look at the numbers required to play each sport.  Stan Heath has had plenty of time to turn this program around.  How many veterans did Nolan have on his team in 93 when NC beat us and then eventually won the tourney?  How many vets did he have on his National Championship team?  KEN BILEY WAS A STAR!

mountainhog

we will make the tourney this yr. and stan will be back next yr.,  they will even be better next year , Everyone talks about how good nolan was at coaching and recruiting , he could recruit but he couldnt draw up a play on the sideline to get them out of jam and win a close game.  Stan can recruit and he can actually coach too. it will just get better every yr. , wait and see .

mountainhog

cmakrzrbak

Goes. But we are going to make the tourney.  I'm still hoping that the Miss St. debacle was just a brain fart for the team.  Plenty of good teams have lost games they shouldn't have this year.  We'll know alot more after tonight.
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

benbro

Since I've only been reading for about a year I don't know if this was covered during the Nolan fiasco,  but what about Mike Anderson.  I wanted them to offer him the job.  Since they didn't, is there any way in hell we could throw enough money at him to convince him to come back?  Look at what he has done at UAB.  I think he could do alot better here with the recruits he would be able to attract and he would be playing the style of ball we are all missing.  And, oh yeah, he actually walks the sideline and coaches his teams. 

johnny cash

He stays as HDN would say we are almost ther Paul we are almost there

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

benbro

But I really want Stan to succeed.  Really.

Fletch

Unbelievable. But, what do we expect, I guess.
I feel like $100

Fletch

Serves him right for living and dying with DJ.
I feel like $100

Fletch

You are most definitely correct. Hogs had to try really hard to lose this game.
I feel like $100

HawgWild

Hawgon

How do you lose this game!?

When the other team is making a run and you need defense and rebounds, why take Hill out with 2:10 left.  So what if he had 4 fouls, there are two minutes left.  We gave up a rebound and an open shot on the next play after a free throw.

Why does Dontell Jefferson have a scholarship!?

Why call a timeout when Brewer had the ball so that the defense can get set and Brewer can jack up a falling away 25 footer!?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fletch

I feel like $100

wolverbacks

It is sad when your up 3 with the ball and you still know you are going to lose!

HawgWild

Agreed about d. jefferson, but I don't personally blame Stan Heath. jefferson just stinks and Mcurdy really did not look all that good tonight. Who else to run the point?

BTW...turned the game off as I refuse to ruin my evening with another Razorback loss.

Fletch

We have no clutch players. 0, nada, zilch. NIT here we come. Maybe
I feel like $100

Hogback

Hogback

Hogback

tomahawkhog

Heath ALWAYS calls a TO with the game on the line.  Way to let their D get set coach.  He's in Waaaayyyy over his head, PLEASE get rid of this joke of a coach.
Go Hogs!